Aussies LXV - what choices have we?!

sh_wulff

I'm not going to give him credit for that. I strongly suspect that the Vatican made it clear he was being cut off and he was faced with little choice in the matter, Pope Francis seems to be either sincerely trying to address the problem, cynically exploiting the opportunity to take more power in the Vatican, or both (depending on your own level of cynicism). Regardless of whether there winds up being sufficient evidence to convict him of the crimes he is charged with, I've seen more than enough of the man in the past to have a clear and very unfavourable impression. After the shit he's done he doesn't deserve credit for fronting up.

6 hours ago, Paxter said:

Yet another own goal for the Greens, this time it's Senator Ludlam from WA resigning as he has discovered that he is a dual citizen (which is prohibited under the Constitution).

I've voted Greens in a number of recent elections (particularly in the Senate), but this dysfunction is off-putting.

To be fair, it went on for 9 years. I suppose someone at the electoral office should have checked, or at some point down the line the Senator has (maybe unknowingly) made a false declaration on whatever paperwork needs to be submitted. It is rather insane that this could have happened for so long. I hope no one is going to be ridiculous and start looking through all the tight decisions Parliament has made with Senator Ludlam voting.

Some sections of the media are reporting that Turnbull is poised to relieve Brandis of responsibility for ASIO and the AFP, with Dutton the likely beneficiary. I don't really understand the policy logic for this and have a feeling that it is more about internal politics (i.e. placating the conservatives in the LNP at the expense of a relatively unpopular moderate).

This is one of the things that genuinely scares me - Dutton has consistently tried to pull more personal power to himself while actively dismantling judicial oversight of his decisions. This is absolutely the kind of thing that should be opposed, and handing him a mega security portfolio is a terrible idea for the country.

13 hours ago, karaddin said:

This is one of the things that genuinely scares me - Dutton has consistently tried to pull more personal power to himself while actively dismantling judicial oversight of his decisions. This is absolutely the kind of thing that should be opposed, and handing him a mega security portfolio is a terrible idea for the country.

It also puts Dutton firmly in pole position should the conservative faction again seize control of the Liberal leadership. I think I'd rather have Abbott back (never thought I'd say that!)

Just got announced: Immigration, ASIO, AFP and the Border Force will combine in a single Home Office under Dutton. Turnbull's presser was interesting: on the one hand he denied it was a political move, on the other he insisted that it was his decision (based on "organisational logic") and he didn't point to any evidence of a particular problem with current arrangements.

And Larissa Waters goes to the same thing as Ludlam. Seems The Greens are going full implosion when we really need a left voice in parliament. I know Labor are ostensibly opposed to the Dutton Department but are they really going to wind back any additional powers in Government? I'm sceptical.

Yeah the Greens have lost the plot. I could not believe that headline when I saw it. 

And yeah I don't see anyone unwinding the new Home Office once it is up an running. Transitional costs for these sorts of reshuffles are not insignificant.

We've lost a national treasure today with the passing of G. Yunupingu.

I once saw him perform live at the West Coast Blues 'n' Roots Festival and the memory will stay with me for life. The fragile beauty and purity of his music was instantly captivating. I was left completely stunned and awe-stricken.

Make today a day to listen to his music!

On 7/26/2017 at 9:28 AM, Paxter said:

We've lost a national treasure today with the passing of G. Yunupingu.

I once saw him perform live at the West Coast Blues 'n' Roots Festival and the memory will stay with me for life. The fragile beauty and purity of his music was instantly captivating. I was left completely stunned and awe-stricken.

Make today a day to listen to his music!

This is so sad!

And I cannot believe how young he was. :'( 

53 minutes ago, karaddin said:

So he's refused to resign so far, but I'm really amused/shaking my head at the "I blame my Mum" defence that we're seeing at the moment.

Haha yes, I don't think that will wash with the High Court. It's the Shane Warne story all over again. Will be interesting to see what happens with Roberts.

51 minutes ago, Yukle said:

This is so sad!

And I cannot believe how young he was. :'( 

Very sad. A number of media outlets here have used his passing to make a (valid) broader point about life expectancy for Aboriginal people.

2 minutes ago, brook said:

As I said to Nat earlier, this is entirely consistent with his views on climate change.

Yep.

Brings to mind the recent adage that one is entitled to their own beliefs, but not their own facts. Finding out that he considers those things to be one and the same is not all that surprising.

Yeah crazy stuff. It seems as if Banks is in the clear, although there may arguably still be a case to answer depending on how s. 44 is interpreted. Plenty of work ahead for the High Court!

On 7/27/2017 at 5:07 PM, Stubby said:

Seen his latest?  Apparently he is "choosing to believe that he is not British" therefore he is not.

:rofl:

This is also somebody who says NASA manipulated all climate data and paid off the entire rest of the world to be in on the conspiracy.

That said, though, I honestly don't care if people are dual-citizens. Most of the Commonwealth allows fellow Commonwealth citizens to vote and hold office in their own countries, provided you have citizenship with the host nation.

Our Constitution is mostly rubbish, and badly in need of an overhaul, and this latest chaos is proof. For one thing, until the 1960s, all Australians were British citizens and discrete Australian citizenship didn't exist.

Archived