Aussies LXV - what choices have we?!

sh_wulff

Preliminary report on the South Australian return to the dark ages can be found here

Looks a lot like unreliable wind power played a major role

The weather resulted in multiple transmission system faults including, in the space of 12 seconds, the loss of three major 275 kV transmission lines north of Adelaide. Generation initially rode through the faults, but at 16:18hrs, following multiple faults in a short period, 315 MW of wind generation disconnected, affecting the region north of Adelaide. The uncontrolled reduction in generation increased the flow on the main Victorian interconnector (Heywood) to make up the deficit and resulted in the interconnector overloading. To avoid damage to the interconnector, the automatic-protection mechanism activated, tripping the interconnector and resulting in the remaining customer load and electricity generation in SA being lost. This automatic-protection operated in less than half a second at 16:18hrs and the event resulted in the SA regional electricity market being suspended.

Sea Shepherd, who operate a completely diesel (rather than wind) powered navy, have cheered the choice of BP not to drill for oil in the Great Australian Bight removing a potential 1.2 Billion dollars of investment from South Australia.  A decision sure to remove oil as an option for reliable power generation. If that isn't funny enough, in another option for reliable power the state has been unable to return electricity to the worlds second largest uranium mine which has had to have been put into care and maintenance until the situation is resolved.

• 4 weeks later...

So interesting week, I continue to be amazed at just how terrible an outcome Mal managed to get out of the double dissolution, truly a modern political master stroke.

Just as an offhand rebuttal ot the above, last I saw it looked like the SA power generation issues were due to poorly configured software resulting in unnecessary shutdowns. Can handle blame the renewable energy source for the failure to configure the software appropriately.

@Horza care to make a prediction on how much longer before he is shocked to discover a knife in his back? And Scomo or Tones?

1 hour ago, Arkhangel said:

People keep bringing it up but I really don't see how a return of the Abbott could be possible - the Coalition knows what a laughingstock it would make them, surely. ScoMo has been suspiciously quiet of late, however...

Well there is that...but they also *like* him and *hate* Malcolm. I don't see how they could possibly expect it to work, given they actually did what Labor failed to do to Rudd - convince the people that he needed to go - but it actually seems more likely than ScoMo. Perhaps ScoMo is just too smart to waste his shot on this government and is being patient.

2 hours ago, Yukle said:

I heard on the radio this morning that George Brandis looks like Humpty Dumpty. Try unseeing it - you can't, can you?

The Senate inquiry even called him Humpty Dumpty in its official report.  

On Turnbull, the reality is that the public far prefers him to Abbott, which is the reverse of Rudd/Gillard. Rudd was sitting in the backbenches saying "Australians liked me" while Gillard struggled. Turnbull doesn't have that issue. He's certainly got issues, but that is a significant difference to what happened with Labour.

Its pretty sad though how many prime ministers we've gone through recently.

I see Brandis withdrew his directive about legal advice today, before the Senate could vote on it and force him to do it.

And now the govt doesn't have one of the best legal minds in the country advising them any more. :(

Pretty close to Sydney CBD you got the:

- Manly Ferry ride is pretty nice. Specially at night when you can see the city lights. The Manly beach is pretty good too.
- Harbour Bridge Climb is supposed to be pretty good, if you aren't scared of heights.
- The Aqarium is pretty damn good
- The Taronga Zoo is nice (could catch the Ferry there!)
- The museum can be good at times, depending on the exhibition
- Museum of Contemporary Arts is also pretty nice if you like that sort of stuff
- Barangaroo reserve is pretty nice

I don't know what would be a "must". Probably the Aquarium and the Ferry ride.

On 11/9/2016 at 1:57 PM, karaddin said:

Turnbull is more like Rudd than Abbott - liked by the public but hated by his party.

I don't think Abbott has broad public support. He was unpopular from the outset. His party, not so much, but he personally was reviled for the most part.

Rudd and Turnbull and Abbott have all struggled for the same reasons, I think. The Liberal party's reliable voters are a loose alliance of conservative, poorer rural areas, the affluent middle-class and the wealthy neo-liberal corporate types. The issue arises when these groups are in conflict as their interests, especially those of rural and corporate Australia, are generally contradictory.

The Labor party is struggling with the fact that its rusted on base are the middle class and the union movement. They also once relied upon the socially progressive wing, but they've been long since abandoned by this group, who has flooded to the Greens. That's a significant loss - about a quarter of their once reliable voter base has left them.

Rudd and Turnbull each, for a moment at least, had soaring popularity as they secured their party's dormant progressive voters. Yet each of these groups hurriedly turned away from them once it became clear they aren't as progressive in government as they were in opposition.

Abbott was a more "typical" Liberal in that he was a neo-liberal leader. They make up a majority of the Liberal's parliament but only a minority of their voter-base, so he was always in a precarious position.

17 minutes ago, ummester said:

The public doesn't like Turnbull - his approval is worse than Abbots now. He's a sleazy, Goldman Sachs alumni who is in it for his own ego.

Only a fool would continue to take approval ratings and media polls as fact.  If the election in the states has taught us anything, surely its that the media (especially in Australia) barrack for a team and 'report' facts supporting their bias.

Which poll are you looking at because I thought abbot got as low as about 24% before he was toppled.

What has he done that is sleazy?

8 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Caved in to the bigoted religious right that still dictates policy to the Liberals, for a start.

He was never opposed to them in the first place - he believes in 3 things, himself, private enterprise and trickle down economics. He lied about everything else (or pretended to care about things he thought would get him votes) to get in and be the King. Australia was duped.

Archived