Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ran

[Spoilers] Rant and Rave without Reprecussions - Season 6 Edition

Recommended Posts

The topic of the thread is discussing things you disliked about the episode. It is not a place to throw insults at one another or to act as if the normal rules of the forum do not apply.

Discussion of why people disliked something is permitted, but remember the topic at hand: this is not a debate thread, it's a discussion thread specifically about episode details or events that posters disliked. Posts that ignore this will be considered off-topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so much!

On to my rant:

I despised the way Ned Stark was portrayed at the TOJ.  The actor. His acting. His accent.  His lack of real resemblance to Sean Bean.  His chinlessness.  His bad dialogue.  His bad dialogue delivery.  His stabbing Dayne after he was down.  That was NOT the gift of mercy, that was a loser coward hitting someone when they are already down.

I despised the tone of the segment.  The rushed dialogue, that was bad, the lack of any sense of the tragic.

Ugh. Awful.

And I submit that the gist of this rant, Ned Stark being portrayed as a dishonorable loser is substantiated by the words of the showrunners themselves in the Inside the Episode where they discuss Ned Stark being willing to give up his honor and how this punctures the mythology of him as honorable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone if you haven't please go read the Arianne sample chapter from TWOW released today. Wow, for the first time in a long time I'm actually excited about where the story is heading. 

The show has really brought down this story. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, @Ran!

The TOJ and Outside the Episode comments on it have me gritting my teeth like Stannis. Puncture this, HBO! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my case I'd say I liked tower of Joy and thought it was the best from the episode. However, I agree that the first thought I had was that Ned was actually HR, i was a bit confused. 

What I found horrible was Arya's scene. It doesn't make sense to make her train like for 3 episodes. and It's not training, just beating her.

Even when she said the names of her brother right "Rickon" for instance, she has slapped or beaten with the stick.

Arggggggggghhhhh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The "Beat Arya With A Stick" game has no rhyme or reason.  She is beaten when she lies, but there doesn't seem to be any sense that the purpose is for her to learn to lie well.  So, it's typical surface visual that has no actual meaning or logic to it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

The "Beat Arya With A Stick" game has no rhyme or reason.  She is beaten when she lies, but there doesn't seem to be any sense that the purpose is for her to learn to lie well.  So, it's typical surface visual that has no actual meaning or logic to it.

I hate that game, she is one of the few characters I sort of care about left. All that accomplished is to make me want her to kill the waif.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

I hate that game, she is one of the few characters I sort of care about left. All that accomplished is to make me want her to kill the waif.

Yes, Arya seasons 5 & 6 is an example of the show staying fairly sorta close to the book story and still making an incomprehensible mess of it.  She trains, but her training is stupid.  She kills people, but the progression is all wrong for character development.  And instead of helpers and mentors, the waif is an antagonist and bathrobe Tom hovers around in the dark background.  Everyone there is wasted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

The "Beat Arya With A Stick" game has no rhyme or reason.  She is beaten when she lies, but there doesn't seem to be any sense that the purpose is for her to learn to lie well.  So, it's typical surface visual that has no actual meaning or logic to it.

It's completely unexplained how the Wraif knows the answers, it seems more like psychic powers than being able to discern lies.

Latest episode she smacked Arya for counting Jon as a brother (rather than a half brother), I'm pretty sure that Arya both in the moment and in her heart just regards him as a brother.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

Yes, Arya seasons 5 & 6 is an example of the show staying fairly sorta close to the book story and still making an incomprehensible mess of it.  She trains, but her training is stupid.  She kills people, but the progression is all wrong for character development.  And instead of helpers and mentors, the waif is an antagonist and bathrobe Tom hovers around in the dark background.  Everyone there is wasted.

And it's all confusing as hell. I've seen posts here and elsewhere, and had rl friends comment that the fact that she drank from the euthanasia well means she is going to die. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sir Loin Steak said:

It's completely unexplained how the Wraif knows the answers, it seems more like psychic powers than being able to discern lies.

Latest episode she smacked Arya for counting Jon as a brother (rather than a half brother), I'm pretty sure that Arya both in the moment and in her heart just regards him as a brother.

Yeah... I've been frustrated with the waif's and tom's seeming ability to read her mind and yet she doesn't even get to warg a cat, nor does Jon get to warg Ghost for that matter. WTF?!

ETA: thanks @Ran :bowdown:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

I hate that game, she is one of the few characters I sort of care about left. All that accomplished is to make me want her to kill the waif.

Arya's storyline is also part of the erasure of the common folk on this show. They've erased Arya's interactions with people in Braavos, she was Tywin's cupbearer talking to him in harrenhal instead of her book experiences of powerlessness there, she and Sandor spend five minutes with the farmer, and that's it (and that was a while back!). Brienne, meanwhile, who spends Feast interacting with all kinds of different levels of Westerosi society, and whose most heroic moment is when she goes out to die in an unequal fight to defend the commonfolk children at the inn, instead is a Dea ex machine for Sansa and swears fealty to her, with not a commoner in sight. Sansa also does not experience any life as Alayne, and the other side of the coin of being a noblewoman (although she certainly suffers plenty but that was not the point of her Alayne story). Theon rescues Sansa, not a no-name girl (which is the thematically important thing in his arc - his rescue of fake!Arya, Jeyne Poole the steward's daughter, is what lets him "remember his name" lets him know he is Theon Greyjoy, just like killing Fake!Bran and Fake!Rickon, the millers sons at Reek's urging, is what led him down the pathway to becoming Reek eventually.) Tyrion does not experience life as a slave for more than five minutes, and he's so clever and awesome that he ends up in Meereen as its ruler ... I know they will have the Septon Merribrother character later this season but for all we know, he'll turn out to be a lord too. I could go on and on, but it's thematically important for the book characters to experience and witness how the games of high lords impact on the population as a whole. When the Others come, these common people whose lives have been devastated by the wars of their lords will be the first to fall (and probably the first to rise and eat their lords :P Which, considering who the lords are on the show? Go them!)

Varies Marx and Locke talk a little bit about privilege but it's just empty talk. The show is all about the 1%, and there's really no focus on the suffering of anyone who isn't of noble blood, so it completely vitiates what Jorah said about the common people. (Now, I grant that Martin has no POV characters - other than Hotah? - who are not of noble birth, but he does, as I've pointed out above, have many, many characters interact with the common folk, and dents their armor of privilege repeatedly. I have a theory that those who have NOT had the experience will be the ones who don't make it out of the series, but that's also because I am strongly rooting for No One on the Iron Throne, and the establishment of a parliamentary democracy :P)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

And it's all confusing as hell. I've seen posts here and elsewhere, and had rl friends comment that the fact that she drank from the euthanasia well means she is going to die. 

More stupid and lazy writing...I guess they wanted everyone to momentarily go OMG she's going to die?!?!? SHOCKING?!?!?!

Instead of people going 'huh, how did that water change from poison to bring back your eyesight water?'.

I don't think there was anything except Jon's badass walk out that I didn't find really silly, worthless or stupid...and even the badass walk out, while it was sort of satisfying was still fairly stupid.  Where you going w/out a coat Jon?  Winter is coming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

More stupid and lazy writing...I guess they wanted everyone to momentarily go OMG she's going to die?!?!? SHOCKING?!?!?!

Instead of people going 'huh, how did that water change from poison to bring back your eyesight water?'.

I don't think there was anything except Jon's badass walk out that I didn't find really silly, worthless or stupid...and even the badass walk out, while it was sort of satisfying was still fairly stupid.  Where you going w/out a coat Jon?  Winter is coming.

Exactly that, it's the same bs with the 52 faces pick up game last year. Lazyyyyy and very, very poor writing where everything gets brushed aside because viewers will go "OMG" and not think about the utter stupidity of it all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kissdbyfire said:

Exactly that, it's the same bs with the 52 faces pick up game last year. Lazyyyyy and very, very poor writing where everything gets brushed aside because viewers will go "OMG" and not think about the utter stupidity of it all. 

 But it works!  Even on this forum book readers were like woohoo TOJ.  All it took was a decently choreographed fight and OMG lookit, he got 2 swords.  Unfuckingbelievable.

I seriously feel like the only person who watched that and saw Ned Stark's character assassination, even not counting the bad acting and casting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LadySoftheart said:

Arya's storyline is also part of the erasure of the common folk on this show.

[Cut for length]

You make a really important point, I'd like to add that we're actually getting visuals that reinforce this point of view with the near deserted streets of Braavos and Meereen this season. Also where we do occasionally see the commoners they are reduced to extreme caricatures such as the screaming lunatics who make up the Faith Militant, and the inhuman depiction of the Children of the Harpy as gold-masked psychopaths who attack in silence with no regard for their own lives.

I'm with you on the Iron Throne not existing at the end of this (both as an object and an institution), though I expect fragmentation and/or anarchy to follow.

To nitpick your nitpick though, Davos is another POV not of noble birth :P.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Exactly that, it's the same bs with the 52 faces pick up game last year. Lazyyyyy and very, very poor writing where everything gets brushed aside because viewers will go "OMG" and not think about the utter stupidity of it all. 

And the thing with the faces that they still have not explained is how Arya could be looking at her own face under all the other dead faces?

Was watching a repeat public beating that accomplished absolutely zero that much more important than explaining her training faceless man knowledge?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And, can someone explain what was the point of the Tommen scene?

To remind us, as if we needed reminding, that teenage Tommen might as well be outlawing beets for all the ability he has.

To remind us of Saint Carol and her mother love?

To remind us that grandpa sparrow loves mums and hates whores or some shit?

And where is fucking Marg Boleyn at? LMAO.  Everyone in KL except QOT has seemingly forgotten about her, even her stupid as fuck husband.  Good lord.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×