[Spoilers] Rant and Rave without Reprecussions - Season 6 Edition

Ran

1 minute ago, DutchArya said:

The Hound is moving North? Wow, what if there is a reunion with Sansa? Maybe he'll be the person to bring her back to her senses and shock him out of his? To see ruthless vengeance and violence getting a hold on Sandra as well - they might help eachother?

You mean something nice? Nah. That would take away all the faux-empowerment they imbued her with. It's much more likely that they'll go on a revenge-spree. Oh lovely book characters, I miss you! :(

1 minute ago, ArabellaVidal said:

You mean something nice? Nah. That would take away all the faux-empowerment they imbued her with. It's much more likely that they'll go on a revenge-spree. Oh lovely book characters, I miss you! :(

Yeah, in twisted D&D logic, they'll probably have Sansa request that the Hound be executed for harassing her back in King's Landing.

2 minutes ago, SuperMario said:

Yeah, in twisted D&D logic, they'll probably have Sansa request that the Hound be executed for harassing her back in King's Landing.

She'll have him fed to the dogs. Get it? The hound got fed to the dogs. D & D will probably think that is brilliant. And of course we'll get the smirk. What would the scene be without the smirk?

34 minutes ago, Apathetic Onlooker said:

I still don't know what the fucking point of that was.  Why feel the need to 'expose' Ned as not as honorable as believed?  We already knew he struggled occasionally with honor, as he did when dealing with Littlefinger.  There was little need to tear him down and it served absolutely no narrative purpose for Bran or anyone else.

In the Explanation of the Episode (they're not inside it at all, they're spending too much time trying to tell us what we didn't see), Weiss says,  the scene was meant to  “puncture” the mythology of Ned being honourable. 

It's really infuriating. 

Just now, TepidHands said:

In the Explanation of the Episode (they're not inside it at all, they're spending too much time trying to tell us what we didn't see), Weiss says,  the scene was meant to  “puncture” the mythology of Ned being honourable. 

Somebody needs to puncture the myth that he knows what he is talking about or doing.

6 minutes ago, rosehustle1 said:

Because they are Barney Stinson who believes Zabka was the hero of the Karate Kid.. They believe that the Starks are the villains and the Lannisters are the heroes. Once I realized this it all became very clear.

Young Ned did look remarkably like Barney Stinson. 

1 minute ago, SuperMario said:

Agreed. But I also liken them to a 2-year-old. If you build a tower of blocks, the 2-year-old will come over and knock it down. It's in their nature. Even after you tell them not to, they still can't help themselves.

That's D&D with their characters. Every new thing they learn or develop, that inner two-year-old comes out, and they have to destroy it. It's in their nature to either turn to crude, juvenile language, revenge, making people boss ass bitches/bad asses, etc. They can't write nice dialogue or characters anymore. Old Ned is dead. The new and improved BAD ASS Ned is here to fuck shit up. Elderbald got hung after one episode because he wasn't a bad ass. Even coward Sam nails women, lies to his parents and steals shit. It's almost like we can't even blame them anymore. They're invalids. They don't know any better.

You know, if you ever make the same mistake I did and read Benioff's City of Thieves a lot about GoT will suddenly make sense. That book includes, among other things:

• An unnecessary framing device whose sole function seems to be allowing Benioff to tell the reader that he's dating a Hollywood actress
  • A promising plotline that gets unceremoniously dropped for no reason
  • A Mary Sue/wish-fulfillment character of epic proportions who is good at literally everything, especially at sex
  • A Strong Female character (read: personality-deprived killing machine)
  • A villain who was already a cliché back in the 70s 
  • A horny as hell protagonist who can only think of sex and getting laid every two paragraphs
  • Overall, a brostastick and fratbulous vibe that permeates the entire thing

I don't wanna be unfair tho, the thing is fairly decent, at least the first half, and it has a relatively interesting homoerotic subtext and a discourse on masculinity (but knowing Benioff that could've been unintended). It's better than GoT (tho not by a lot) but you can still see a familiar pattern in the guy's writing.

21 minutes ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

Agreed, and I think the episode 8 did a lot of damage to that because part of the big fandom of the show, was all the theories and speculations. I mean there is a whole industry of podcasts and blogs and youtube channels that are dedicated to speculating about the show.

And the truth is, in the early seasons of the show it was actually awesome, because things are set up, and all decisions have consequences, so the show, like the books, actually rewarded people who paid attention, and noticed the details, etc. And it was awesome when you find out you're right because you're rewarded when you pay attention.

But the truth is the show hasn't rewarded that level of attention to detail for a few seasons now, because the writing has gotten incredibly sloppy and very little attention is paid to continuity or even coherence.   But many of the watchers still treated it like it was before, or like the books. 

Episode 8 was a big wake up call to a lot of them because they were warned by people like us that there was no point is speculating based on details because the show is not even attempting to make sense anymore, so literally any thing can happen and you can't predict it because it is no long following the rule of cause and effect.  

And for the people who enjoyed that aspect of the show, the show has lost it luster. 

Now the people who just want explosions and badasses kicking butt and slicing heads off, those people will always be around as it's clear the show is now only catering to them.

Exactly! That's why I said they don't do mystery anymore. George writes mystery, a lot of it. For me aFfC and aDwD combined are comparable to aCoK - lots and lots of mysteries being set up before your eyes without you knowing it. But aCoK ended the mysteries in several arcs (Arya, Theon ...) by the end of aCoK, while the bigger mysteries were only resolved in aSoS (RW, Joffrey's death). tWoW has to resolve all the mysteries set up in the last 2 (the Northern lords, what's up in the RL with BwB and wolf pack, BF). And GOT did the mystery aspect until S3, until the RW. Since then - nada, nothing anymore. But people still expected them to do mystery. They just don't. All the Arya theories after episode 7 were a result of that expected mystery. And then they learned it wasn't mystery at all, but simply stupidity and OOC.

1 minute ago, Lyin' Ned said:

You know, if you ever make the same mistake I did and read Benioff's City of Thieves a lot about GoT will suddenly make sense. That book includes, among other things:

• An unnecessary framing device whose sole function seems to be allowing Benioff to tell the reader that he's dating a Hollywood actress
  • A Mary Sue/wish-fulfillment character of epic proportions who is good at literally everything, especially at sex
  • A horny as hell protagonist who can only think of sex and getting laid every two paragraphs

I don't wanna be unfair tho, the thing is fairly decent, at least the first half, and it has a relatively interesting homoerotic subtext and a discourse on masculinity (but knowing Benioff that could've been unintended). It's better than GoT (tho not by a lot) but you can still see a familiar pattern in the guy's writing.

Interesting. I think I'll probably pass on reading it, but thanks for the synopsis. And your bolded sentence pretty much sums up the 6 seasons of GOT.

1 minute ago, Lyin' Ned said:

It sounds terrible, but it was almost universally praised wasn't it?  

3 hours ago, Mister Stoneheart said:

This is about last episode, but it has been pissing me off, and it relates to the adapters' terrible terrible ability to make scenes realistic.

Ok,

Ramsay is tied up in his chair in the kennels, right?  Fine, that's easy.  He was dragged there, tied up, and Sansa waited for him to revive.

The hounds are hungry and haven't been fed for 7 days.  Ok, got that.  Makes sense, oooh hungry hounds, they are going to get that Ramsay.

WAIT, WHO the HELL opened the kennel doors?  We see the dogs slinking out of their cages--the doors have been opened a little bit.

a.) why didn't the dogs come out earlier.  Does hunger wait for a Sansa and Ramsay dialogue to pass?

b.) why didn't the dogs eat whoever OPENED the doors?

c.) WHO THE HELL OPENED THE DOORS?

d.) Whoever opened the doors would have been EATEN by 7 day hungry hounds.

WHERE IS THE VERISIMILITUDE IN THIS SHOW?

in other words

18 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Sandor will go North and we'll all be waiting for the big moment when he tells her about how LF fucked over Ned.

But, then we'll get:
"A man" betrayed your father. And Sandra will ask no further questions.

Do I :crying: or :tantrum: ?

1 hour ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

IMDB is a popularity contest, its no different than Avatar being the highest grossing movie of all time.

I hope it encourages people to make their voices heard and ummm correct this rating

45 minutes ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

Agreed, and I think the episode 8 did a lot of damage to that because part of the big fandom of the show, was all the theories and speculations. I mean there is a whole industry of podcasts and blogs and youtube channels that are dedicated to speculating about the show.

And the truth is, in the early seasons of the show it was actually awesome, because things are set up, and all decisions have consequences, so the show, like the books, actually rewarded people who paid attention, and noticed the details, etc. And it was awesome when you find out you're right because you're rewarded when you pay attention.

But the truth is the show hasn't rewarded that level of attention to detail for a few seasons now, because the writing has gotten incredibly sloppy and very little attention is paid to continuity or even coherence.   But many of the watchers still treated it like it was before, or like the books. 

Episode 8 was a big wake up call to a lot of them because they were warned by people like us that there was no point is speculating based on details because the show is not even attempting to make sense anymore, so literally any thing can happen and you can't predict it because it is no long following the rule of cause and effect.  

And for the people who enjoyed that aspect of the show, the show has lost it luster. 

Now the people who just want explosions and badasses kicking butt and slicing heads off, those people will always be around as it's clear the show is now only catering to them.

I'm sorry but I have no sympathy for all these people who took until episode 8 to see the crapfest for the crap that it is.  When you willfully blind yourself to the shitfest you have no right to complain.  Your blind support is why they get nominated and win emmys and encourages their disgusting ass rape storytelling.  Welcome to our side, yes, but

"Look to your sins, for the night is dark and full of terrors!"

16 minutes ago, SerMixalot said:

I hope it encourages people to make their voices heard and ummm correct this rating

7% of the voters did. The 10/10 isn't the "average" rating on IMDB. It's the median rating, because 93% of the people voted it a 10.

12 minutes ago, El Hoopus said:

None of that sounds "terrible" to me, just sounds like potentially fun primal escapism stuff. Are you people here a bit snobby and uptight about that kind of stuff, or what's the picture here?

So yea, could be great at it, or terrible, I've not read it. GoT's probably being praised cause it's still real good TV at the end of the day, despite failures to live up to a higher standard (set by books etc.) *shrug*

No, you're right, it's entertaining escapism. Like I said, it's fairly decent if you don't have a lot of expectations, very much like GoT. 

I've heard The 25th Hour is pretty good tho, I'll probably read it sometime. 

Archived