[Spoilers] Rant and Rave without Reprecussions - Season 6 Edition

Ran

5 minutes ago, Lyin' Ned said:

So The Battle of the Bastards is currently the highest rated episode of a tv show of all time in imdb, overtaking Breaking Bad's Ozymandias. 

You know, I'm glad for Miguel Sapochnik. He really did a terrific job and I think he totally deserves an Emmy. But watch David and Dan win for "Happy shitting!" instead. 

I still don't get how this could win for writing? There was not a lot of dialogue. If anything should win for writing it should be Penny Dreadful's episode  "A Blade of Grass" that was an amazing bottle episode.

3 hours ago, Tijgy said:

To be honest, I even feel discomforted by the Free Folk; There have several examples of history where even white people were considered less worthy than other because of the fact they came from a more barbaric culture. And now they treat Tormund as someone who is really stupid? The whole point of Jon's storyline was to show they were not that different from the North but on the show they are constantly turned into either cannibals or idiots.

Agreed. BTW Tormund not understanding "metaphors"? He's the epytome of metaphor... all his "big stories" are metaphor after metaphor.

5 minutes ago, Lyin' Ned said:

So The Battle of the Bastards is currently the highest rated episode of a tv show of all time in imdb, overtaking Breaking Bad's Ozymandias. 

You know, I'm glad for Miguel Sapochnik. He really did a terrific job and I think he totally deserves an Emmy. But watch David and Dan win for "Happy shitting!" instead. 

Yeah, I saw that. That is really sad. When you look at some of the best episodes of all time - Pine Barrens and Blue Comet from The Sopranos, Who Goes There? from True Detective, and Ozymandias from Breaking Bad, it's just so sad that so many people are so stupid to actually put something with as bad as writing as Battle of Bastards above that.

7 minutes ago, rosehustle1 said:

I also don't understand why Fansa didn't just talk during the war council? She talked in all the other ones but in this one she holds her tongue and then acts all passive aggressive about not be directly addressed. And Jon was open to her insights but she  decides to still remain quiet about the Vale. Such a dumb character. She's not my Sansa at all.

Yep, it was all just so they could have the last-minute, ride-over-the-hill, dramatic save by Littlefinger and Sansa.  You see, dramatically, it made sense to them because they wanted it to happen;)

1 minute ago, Le Cygne said:

If she was truly smart she would know a go sign wasn't even needed. 

LF always intended to invade Winterfell with the Vale troops anyway. He said so last season.

She should have told Jon from the start, and they could have captured LF and claimed the troops. SR sent the troops for Sansa, not LF ("she's my cousin"). It was SR's call on the show.

I'd say it's a draw now, whether it's Sansa or Stannis who has been most fully destroyed as a character on the show.  I'd still give a slight edge to Stannis since I truly think they are attempting to show Sansa as smart and empowered but they are so incompetent that to anyone even attempting to follow the plot, she's awful and should be locked in her room for the duration.

4 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I'd say it's a draw now, whether it's Sansa or Stannis who has been most fully destroyed as a character on the show.  I'd still give a slight edge to Stannis since I truly think they are attempting to show Sansa as smart and empowered but they are so incompetent that to anyone even attempting to follow the plot, she's awful and should be locked in her room for the duration.

And now she doesn't even know what LF wants. She's dumb as a box of rocks.

At what point is she going to tell someone he framed her for regicide. 

7 minutes ago, rosehustle1 said:

I still don't get how this could win for writing? There was not a lot of dialogue. If anything should win for writing it should be Penny Dreadful's episode  "A Blade of Grass" that was an amazing bottle episode.

Well bad pussy won for dialogue so all bets are off. But yeah, this is the world where we live in: GoT gets the highest rated episode ever, and Penny Dreadful - a show so good it could get away with having two characters talk in a room (twice!) - gets cancelled. 

8 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Ellaria Sand has to be a contender for most destroyed.  Albeit, she's only a minor character in the books, she does get one of the best scenes, when she speaks out against taking revenge.

3 minutes ago, Lyin' Ned said:

Loras and Tyrion say hi too. 

Oh, and Jaime. And Edmure. And the Blackfish. 

Add Davos, Brienne (slithing a man's throat trapped under horse), Roose and Jon and Arya (prancing around Braavos) too.

59 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:Even a 10 year old knows that a giant army waiting in the wings is something that the commander needs to know.

But, that aside, isn't it sort of objectionable that she complains about no one listening to her...but all she has to offer is a weirdo emotional hysterical outburst that she knows nothing about tactics and Ramsay is tricksy?  

Is this supposed to be her being a Boss.Ass.Individual.? because she comes off as an unhinged, useless person who has, yes, indeed, nothing of value to offer the discussion.

They want to create tension and suspense, so that the audience is thinking, "ooooh Wamsay's soooo scary and tricksy, is he going to come up with some way of winning?" while watching the battle go against the Starks. Then WOW NEVER SAW THAT COMING when LF swoops in and saves the day. Only they are really incompetent, so it becomes another characterisation debacle, and there's as usual zero tension and everything is underwhelming and dumb. 

11 minutes ago, Lyin' Ned said:

Well bad pussy won for dialogue so all bets are off. But yeah, this is the world where we live in: GoT gets the highest rated episode ever, and Penny Dreadful - a show so good it could get away with having two characters talk in a room (twice!) - gets cancelled. 

Maybe "I'm going to fuck her tits off" will win this year's prize for dialogue.

1 minute ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

The real question is who hasn't been destroyed. 

Any character that survived past season 4 has been destroyed.

Yeah, I think of characters that didn't get destroyed - Ned, Robert, Robb (for the most part), Joffrey, Khal Drogo - they all are dead.

As far as characters still alive on the show, I guess Bran and Meera would be about the only two left who have some semblance of their book counterparts.

1 hour ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

By the way I really agree with your post on your blog that you can never see the characters when watching this show.

When I watch the show I don't see Jon Snow, I see Kit Harrington saying bad lines written by D&D, I don't see Sansa, I see Sophie Turner mouthing bad lines written by D&D. I'm never in the story when watching the show any more, that's why the Direwolf banner over Winterfell, which if it happens in the books would probably bring a tear to my eye, did nothing for me on the show. The show has done such a bad job suspending my disbelief that I cannot connect to it emotionally at all.

Yeah, it's like once you see how empty it all is, there's no going back. I'm wondering if that's why I actually am seeing criticism about BotB where I didn't for Hardhome; the atrocious Arya plotline pulled the wool away from some people's eyes, and that lends itself to less generous outlooks on the rest.

I wrote about that tension a bit more in this article; I cannot view GoT as worthy of any sort of Watsonian analysis when the internal consistency and characters just don't even enter into D&D's equation. There is no "reality of this world" because the world itself is an inconsistent mess that adapts to the needs of the next Shock.

2 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Maybe "I'm going to fuck her tits off" will win this year's prize for dialogue.

It's a tough call, many worthy candidates.  Happy shitting.  And that whole bizarro scene of putting your finger in your friend's butt.....and still one episode to go, which should yield at least another cock joke and maybe some more pissing or shitting discussions.  Bring on the Emmys!!!!

2 minutes ago, SuperMario said:

Yeah, I think of characters that didn't get destroyed - Ned, Robert, Robb (for the most part), Joffrey, Khal Drogo - they all are dead.

As far as characters still alive on the show, I guess Bran and Meera would be about the only two left who have some semblance of their book counterparts.

I'd say they destroyed Ned too with that ToJ scene. It wasn't the backstabbing imo (I actually suspect that Dayne was taken by surprise by the little crannogman...fights like that are never won fair and square, but dirty). But his arrogant "Where's my sister?" and that angry face when he offed Dayne, and then making it look as if Ned bragged about it... when in fact, Ned never bragged about it, and spoke highly of Dayne, oh and brought his sword back to the Dayne family.

And they had Glover shit on Robb some more too.

24 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

And now she doesn't even know what LF wants. She's dumb as a box of rocks.

At what point is she going to tell someone he framed her for regicide. 

Dont you know, Le Cygne, that it's so 2 seasons ago. It's the show where a Stark won't feel vengeful enough over the RW but has to be raped by Ramsay to truly want to see Boltons dead. :rolleyes:

Archived