[Spoilers] Rant and Rave without Reprecussions - Season 6 Edition

Ran

On 6/21/2016 at 9:02 AM, Le Cygne said:

Yes. This. Thank you for sharing.

The thing is, given the debate resulting from this episode, I doubt D&D gave any thought to anything. This is probably what they think empowerment looks like. Every woman is becoming Deadpan Stormborn.

10 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

It's a tough call, many worthy candidates.  Happy shitting.  And that whole bizarro scene of putting your finger in your friend's butt.....and still one episode to go, which should yield at least another cock joke and maybe some more pissing or shitting discussions.  Bring on the Emmys!!!!

Don't forget the classic: "Let's go murder them!"

7 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

I'd say they destroyed Ned too with that ToJ scene. It wasn't the backstabbing imo (I actually suspect that Dayne was taken by surprise by the little crannogman...fights like that are never won fair and square, but dirty). But his arrogant "Where's my sister?" and that angry face when he offed Dayne, and then making it look as if Ned bragged about it... when in fact, Ned never bragged about it, and spoke highly of Dayne, oh and brought his sword back to the Dayne family.

And they had Glover shit on Robb some more too.

Good point on Ned. I guess I was just considering Sean Bean as Ned. But totally agree with you on the ToJ when they make Ned to be a liar, bragger and vengeful "bad ass"

What is all this Kit should get an Emmy hype all about? What exactly did he do but mopey-face all season? The only actor ever having given an Emmy performance in the entire history of the show is probably Alfie Allen. Just think how many awards he would have won if they'd let him be the hero of his own plot-line instead of unnecessarily inserting Sansa into it and then putting all the focus on Ramsay?

So, Sandra has a convo with LF, he tells her he's got the Vale army at MC. And she tells him he's either an imbecile or the enemy, tells him to sod off. 

Did he say he was going to stay put until when the plot required him to receive a raven from Sandra? How much time - I know, LOL - passes between the convo in MT and LF receiving the raven? Did she have any reason to expect him to still be there? How long have Sandra and Emo and Davos been going around recruiting? 

1 minute ago, kissdbyfire said:

So, Sandra has a convo with LF, he tells her he's got the Vale army at MC. And she tells him he's either an imbecile or the enemy, tells him to sod off. 

Did he say he was going to stay put until when the plot required him to receive a raven from Sandra? How much time - I know, LOL - passes between the convo in MT and LF receiving the raven? Did she have any reason to expect him to still be there? How long have Sandra and Emo and Davos been going around recruiting? 

What is time and distance anyway? She obviously knew of Batfinger's teleporter.

18 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Yep. Absolutely.

I still don't know what the fucking point of that was.  Why feel the need to 'expose' Ned as not as honorable as believed?  We already knew he struggled occasionally with honor, as he did when dealing with Littlefinger.  There was little need to tear him down and it served absolutely no narrative purpose for Bran or anyone else.

4 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

One wonders, how a giant army came to be encamped at MC and Ramsay and his 20 good men have no clue about it?  They can decimate Stannis camp in the dark and the snow....but no idea a giant army, falcon banners flying high has ridden up the King's Road from the Vale?

Alrighty then.

The plot has officially reached Conan the Barbarian levels of contrived and stupid.

Just now, Apathetic Onlooker said:

I still don't know what the fucking point of that was.  Why feel the need to 'expose' Ned as not as honorable as believed?  We already knew he struggled occasionally with honor, as he did when dealing with Littlefinger.  There was little need to tear him down.

It's stuff like this that convinces me that D7D either hate the book fans or are jealous of Martin's superiority. Yeah, definitely an inferiority complex.

42 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

And now she doesn't even know what LF wants. She's dumb as a box of rocks.

At what point is she going to tell someone he framed her for regicide. 

And it makes no sense because at the end of season four she said to him 'I know what you want" and looked at him seductively. Then in season 5 she was receiving kisses from him. She even coyly told him when he comes back she'll be a married woman. It seemed like flirting to me. And in her letter to him she wrote that he would be rewarded.  He doesn't need troops or money. So, I assumed she knew the reward would sadly be herself. So, now she's unclear about his motives? Is this their attempt to retcon her Sansa Bolton activities from the previous episode to make her look like an innocent victim again?

24 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

It's a tough call, many worthy candidates.  Happy shitting.  And that whole bizarro scene of putting your finger in your friend's butt.....and still one episode to go, which should yield at least another cock joke and maybe some more pissing or shitting discussions.  Bring on the Emmys!!!!

And that guy straight from a random pub in like 2010 who was bragging about Cersei giving him "that look, know what I meeeean?"

But yeah the finger in the butthole thing...Reminded me of the idiots in high school bullying the gay-looking kids, but not even them would have gone as far as to stick their own finger up another dude's ass just for a joke. Like what?  That's some Bruno shit. 

22 minutes ago, Chebyshov said:

Yeah, it's like once you see how empty it all is, there's no going back. I'm wondering if that's why I actually am seeing criticism about BotB where I didn't for Hardhome; the atrocious Arya plotline pulled the wool away from some people's eyes, and that lends itself to less generous outlooks on the rest.

I wrote about that tension a bit more in this article; I cannot view GoT as worthy of any sort of Watsonian analysis when the internal consistency and characters just don't even enter into D&D's equation. There is no "reality of this world" because the world itself is an inconsistent mess that adapts to the needs of the next Shock.

Agreed, and I think the episode 8 did a lot of damage to that because part of the big fandom of the show, was all the theories and speculations. I mean there is a whole industry of podcasts and blogs and youtube channels that are dedicated to speculating about the show.

And the truth is, in the early seasons of the show it was actually awesome, because things are set up, and all decisions have consequences, so the show, like the books, actually rewarded people who paid attention, and noticed the details, etc. And it was awesome when you find out you're right because you're rewarded when you pay attention.

But the truth is the show hasn't rewarded that level of attention to detail for a few seasons now, because the writing has gotten incredibly sloppy and very little attention is paid to continuity or even coherence.   But many of the watchers still treated it like it was before, or like the books. 

Episode 8 was a big wake up call to a lot of them because they were warned by people like us that there was no point is speculating based on details because the show is not even attempting to make sense anymore, so literally any thing can happen and you can't predict it because it is no long following the rule of cause and effect.  

And for the people who enjoyed that aspect of the show, the show has lost it luster. 

Now the people who just want explosions and badasses kicking butt and slicing heads off, those people will always be around as it's clear the show is now only catering to them.

5 minutes ago, rosehustle1 said:

And it makes no sense because at the end of season four she said to him 'I know what you want" and looked at him seductively. Then in season 5 she was receiving kisses from him. She even coyly told him when he comes back she'll be a married woman. It seemed like flirting to me. And in her letter to him she wrote that he would be rewarded.  He doesn't need troops or money. So, I assumed she knew the reward would sadly be herself. So, now she's unclear about his motives? Is this their attempt to retcon her Sansa Bolton activities from the previous episode to make her look like an innocent victim again?

And now she is going to be like, "Golly, I just have no idea what you would want. Just little old innocent me couldn't possibly know, not even after you jammed your tongue down my throat."

11 minutes ago, Apathetic Onlooker said:

I still don't know what the fucking point of that was.  Why feel the need to 'expose' Ned as not as honorable as believed?  We already knew he struggled occasionally with honor, as he did when dealing with Littlefinger.  There was little need to tear him down and it served absolutely no narrative purpose for Bran or anyone else.

Because they are Barney Stinson who believes Zabka was the hero of the Karate Kid.. They believe that the Starks are the villains and the Lannisters are the heroes. Once I realized this it all became very clear.

4 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

And now she is going to be like, "Golly, I just have no idea what you would want. Just little old innocent me couldn't possibly know, not even after you jammed your tongue down my throat."

It's their Whore-Madonna complex rearing it's ugly head once again. I mean, instead of making every female character one or the other, why not try to just write them as multi-dimensional human beings? They don't do much better with the men either. They are either trade mark masculine heroes or they are consider weaklings. Toxic masculinity always wins out in their narrative.

7 minutes ago, rosehustle1 said:

This is stupid. Also, the Hound is heading North (for reasons) and will ultimately add to the moronic-ness of this plot.

BTW, given the teleportation rampant in Weisserroff, shouldn't the BwB and Brienne be in WF already?

1 minute ago, rosehustle1 said:

Because they are Barney Stinson who believes Zabka was the hero of the Karate Kid.. They believe that the Starks are the villains and the Lannisters are the heroes. Once I realized this it all became very clear.

Agreed. But I also liken them to a 2-year-old. If you build a tower of blocks, the 2-year-old will come over and knock it down. It's in their nature. Even after you tell them not to, they still can't help themselves.

That's D&D with their characters. Every new thing they learn or develop, that inner two-year-old comes out, and they have to destroy it. It's in their nature to either turn to crude, juvenile language, revenge, making people boss ass bitches/bad asses, etc. They can't write nice dialogue or characters anymore. Old Ned is dead. The new and improved BAD ASS Ned is here to fuck shit up. Elderbald got hung after one episode because he wasn't a bad ass. Even coward Sam nails women, lies to his parents and steals shit. It's almost like we can't even blame them anymore. They're invalids. They don't know any better.

41 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Great!  I had just managed to forget this scene and you have to go and bring it all back up again! :P  I think perhaps my favorite part, though, was when Sandor gave Buttfinger the ax-between-the-legs treatment and then the camera quickly switched to the view through Buttfinger's legs from behind just so the audience could be treated to his entrails splatting on the ground!  It was hilari-bad or, maybe, lol-bad?  Aw, hell, I actually think it was both! :rolleyes:  

2 minutes ago, ArabellaVidal said:

This is stupid. Also, the Hound is heading North (for reasons) and will ultimately add to the moronic-ness of this plot.

BTW, given the teleportation rampant in Weisserroff, shouldn't the BwB and Brienne be in WF already?

The Hound is moving North? Wow, what if there is a reunion with Sansa? Maybe he'll be the person to bring her back to her senses and shock him out of his? To see ruthless vengeance and violence getting a hold on Sandra as well - they might help eachother?

2 minutes ago, DutchArya said:

The Hound is moving North? Wow, what if there is a reunion with Sansa? Maybe he'll be the person to bring her back to her senses and shock him out of his? To see ruthless vengeance and violence getting a hold on Sandra as well - they might help eachother?

Sandor will go North and we'll all be waiting for the big moment when he tells her about how LF fucked over Ned.

But, then we'll get:
"A man" betrayed your father. And Sandra will ask no further questions.

Archived