[Spoilers] Rant and Rave without Reprecussions - Season 6 Edition

Ran

Just now, The Fattest Leech said:

@sweetsunray I know for a fact that whatever ASOIAF related book comes out next, then I won't be watching this abysmal show anymore. 

I will take She Wolves of Winterfell if that what I get... And that should be awesome. 

Yeah, that woudl be awesome too. :P

1 hour ago, sweetsunray said:

I had little hope they could salvage much after S5, because they jumped the shark for me in S5 in the first half already.

It is since they had their NK that don't see the show as related to the books. They could do anything, rape Sansa, kill Doran, darken Jaime, pity Cersei, kill the direwolves, anything, I didn't care. But somehow, making Jon a moron, is somewhat passing the limits.

But I suppose I will continue to watch, mostly by curiosity. Finally D&D are more unpredictable than GRRM.

5 minutes ago, BalerionTheCat said:

It is since they had their NK that don't see the show as related to the books. They could do anything, rape Sansa, kill Doran, darken Jaime, pity Cersei, kill the direwolves, anything, I didn't care. But somehow, making Jon a moron, is somewhat passing the limits.

But I suppose I will continue to watch, mostly by curiosity. Finally D&D are more unpredictable than GRRM.

For me it was the Brienne talking to Pod and "lookie here who rides by in a carriage" thing, then the silly inn scene and "let's go around Moat Cailin" killed it for me. That was so utterly bad fan-fic, that I couldn't suspend my disbelief anymore. It was just all too contrived. It wasn't so much that it was different from the books. There can be good fan-fic out there. But that was just bad, contrived. And it's just getting worse and worse and worse.

Think back on this season and how many storylines simply served no purpose.  They literally had no impact on the story.

I am thinking Tyrion releasing the dragons.

Jon being raised from the dead

Melisandra being old and raising Jon from the dead

Brienne's trip to the Riverlands

Jon and Sandra's trip to the Glovers

The Darrio and Jorah Bro trip-other to reunite them with Dany

Myrcella dying

Doran and Trystane dying

Tyrion negotiating with the Slavers

Varys learning about the Sons of the Harpy

Dany's burning fleet

Arya being blind-ok perhaps minor impact on the fight with the Waif

Septon Cocksucker and the slaughter of the Sept Builders

Blackfish death

"I choose violins"

That is alot of stuff and assumes that some of the other stories have some sort of resolution or are impacted by past stuff. (ie Sam and Gilly, Bran and Benjen, whole bunch of stuff in KL, Euron and the Saltmoot)

And this excludes a lot of the deaths in the show that had little real impact-ie Roose, Walda and baby,

4 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

That's really sad. In the books, all the kids, including her, think of him as baby Rickon. And it's so tragic when someone young dies, and it was in such a cruel way. To not cry is just bizarre. There's no way someone who cared could bring herself to smile for days, much less minutes later.

We could tell Jon cared, that was the only human moment in the whole hour. But Sandra and her smirks, and that they so transparently used Rickon as a gruesome plot device to let Ramsay take yet one more thing from the Starks, while making Jon look stupid for caring, is disgusting.

And it backfired. None of it seemed real. And then when they let Ramsay take that final thing, and kill Wun Wun, and it seemed like everyone in the scene was just waiting for Ramsay to shoot him, it was like, yes, we get it, will you please stop already, at long last. Ramsay is bad.

Especially true when you compare to the Bran Rickon parting scene in Season 3 episode 9.  It was so touching Rickon saying it was his job to protect Bran.  Bran sending him to the Umbers for protection.  All that is so bitter knowing what happens with Osha and the Umbers betraying Rickon.  ugh

7 hours ago, Prince of the North said:

Very much agreed!  People saw the potential in the Karsi character and wanted to see more.  But...it just turned out to be more ham-fisted, cheap, obvious emotional manipulation.  She was created only to have that utterly ridiculous death scene:rolleyes: 

It wouldn't have hurt to give wildlings a face other than Tormund...

54 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

For me it was the Brienne talking to Pod and "lookie here who rides by in a carriage" thing, then the silly inn scene and "let's go around Moat Cailin" killed it for me. That was so utterly bad fan-fic, that I couldn't suspend my disbelief anymore. It was just all too contrived. It wasn't so much that it was different from the books. There can be good fan-fic out there. But that was just bad, contrived. And it's just getting worse and worse and worse.

Yes, Brienne going from failure to failure was not great, including this ridiculous candle. Finding miraculously both girls, but them not wanting her. Argh. And the fight with the Hound! The Starks have not much allies. Not great if the very few they have are going against each other. But for D&D, it mush have been a cool idea. But all that, we knew was not in the books. The NK and the CotF creating him is more speculative, and reeking the bad fan-fic.

11 minutes ago, Larence Snow said:

We need Val. :love:

23 minutes ago, SerMixalot said:

Doran and Trystane dying

These ones were really a deception. I was expecting more of Doran. I would add Rickon, Osha and the direwolves. Most deaths are just to cut on the cast, to have more money for dragons and gory battles.

BTW, the last 2 seasons will be shorter, so they could be an unceasing but expensive battle.

5 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

That's really sad. In the books, all the kids, including her, think of him as baby Rickon. And it's so tragic when someone young dies, and it was in such a cruel way. To not cry is just bizarre. There's no way someone who cared could bring herself to smile for days, much less minutes later.

We could tell Jon cared, that was the only human moment in the whole hour. But Sandra and her smirks, and that they so transparently used Rickon as a gruesome plot device to let Ramsay take yet one more thing from the Starks, while making Jon look stupid for caring, is disgusting.

And it backfired. None of it seemed real. And then when they let Ramsay take that final thing, and kill Wun Wun, and it seemed like everyone in the scene was just waiting for Ramsay to shoot him, it was like, yes, we get it, will you please stop already, at long last. Ramsay is bad.

I agree to everything. But mostly the bolded.:agree::agree::agree:

1 hour ago, SerMixalot said:

Think back on this season and how many storylines simply served no purpose.  They literally had no impact on the story.

I am thinking Tyrion releasing the dragons.  Someone switched his dialogue with GW&M and telling jokes over his story about wanting a dragon and it made it past editing.  Switching them back has the story make a lot more sense.  He's joking trying to cover his fear of the dragons, and then telling GW and M a heartfelt story about why he wants to serve Dany.

Jon being raised from the dead  He killed the boy and became the manbun.

Melisandra being old and raising Jon from the dead  Obviously she complained about having to get naked in the cold once too often, so D&D made her into a naked old crone.

Brienne's trip to the Riverlands  They needed to use up the backlog of Pod's Pod jokes and had to have some reason for him to run into Bronn again.

Jon and Sandra's trip to the Glovers  We needed to see who was really in charge in the Jon/Sansa dynamic.

The Darrio and Jorah Bro trip-other to reunite them with Dany  It served the purpose all bro-trips serve: The guy banging the girl the other guy wants proves himself to be a complete wanker because he knows there's no chance of the girl hearing him talk about all the sex he claims they are having.  

Myrcella dying

Doran and Trystane dying  Combining these two: they had to kill off the Dorne plot somehow.  Just murder everyone there.

Tyrion negotiating with the Slavers  Wait, maybe this was supposed to be the story about wanting a dragon, the Dragon Unchaining scene is replaced with the capitalist experiment scene.  They really need to fire the audio editor, ffs.

Varys learning about the Sons of the Harpy Dickless man intimidates prostitute.Classic reversal of fortune!  Emmy Please.

Dany's burning fleet  I'll give you this one, since it was supposed to bridge the Dany getting ships with Arya killing the Insurance guy to cover the arson plot and I guess they just needed some quick filler footage to pad out the episode.  A lot of people don't seem to appreciate how hard it is to fill 10 episodes with meaningful content.

Arya being blind-ok perhaps minor impact on the fight with the Waif  All the greats have to go through a period of blindness to learn who they truely are.

Septon Cocksucker and the slaughter of the Sept Builders  Ian McShane being on screen is an end unto itself, though I'll grant that this one just kinda leaves you hanging.

Blackfish death  No one remember this character or anything they did, so dying off screen seems fitting.  Wait..is this the guy they are talking about when they say "the North remembers?"

"I choose violins"  Okay you got me, She says she chooses violins but then just fiddles around KL with her Zombie Love Slave trying to look sympathetic and menacing depending on if the plot wants us to fear or respect the Ma-Ma clan.

That is alot of stuff and assumes that some of the other stories have some sort of resolution or are impacted by past stuff. (ie Sam and Gilly, Bran and Benjen, whole bunch of stuff in KL, Euron and the Saltmoot)

And this excludes a lot of the deaths in the show that had little real impact-ie Roose, Walda and baby,

Hmmm...time constraints?

After reading Show Apologists trying to explain the northern plot, I needed a steamvalve. I hope my sarcasm can be appreciated.

5 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

And then when they let Ramsay take that final thing, and kill Wun Wun, and it seemed like everyone in the scene was just waiting for Ramsay to shoot him, it was like, yes, we get it, will you please stop already, at long last. Ramsay is bad.

It is sad, the last of the giants was reduced to a plot device, to remind the feeble minded of something they oughta know well by now. Then they had the audacity to close with a song called Last of the Giants.

Not one of the other guards thought to shoot Wun Wun in the head the entire time? Ugh, if they could have bothered to forge him a giant flail and a shield, Wun Wun could have single-handedly destroyed the shield/pike formation. But, that wouldn't have empowered Sansa. He coulda have smashed through the gate without becoming a pin cushion. Ramsay didn't kill Wun Wun, D&D killed him long ago, by choosing to include him.

I'll at least give them credit for disproving their own bad writing. Arya said that nothing is neither worse or better than anything. Nothing (no adapatation of asoiaf) would have been way better than this anything/something (the adapatation we suffer now).

7 hours ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

Just in the train of thought about how the show hasn't made me feel anything all season.

If they had the last scene of the episode be one where Sansa hugs the body of dead Rickon's body and in tears, mourning for her lost baby brother. It would have made me feel something.  Because having characters that act in a human and relate-able way is how you make the audience connect and empathize with your characters.

But D&D don't ever bother writing about actual human beings, they only want to write about their boss ass bitch, who's able to kill people with a blank smug stare, or preferably with a hint of a smirk, because that's what badasses do.

There is no heart to any of the characters anymore. Everything is nihilistic and they want to punish  the viewer for having any hope that things could get better. You would think I would feel happy about seeing Stark banners returned to Winterfell but I felt nothing. Back in the first three seasons, I would have been so invested and rooting for the Starks. But how can I root for this victory when the entire thing was so convoluted and meaningless? It was just another plot point to check off. No characterization or logic went into getting this victory and Sansa's actions throughout the episode, especially that last scene, really tainted the entire thing.

2 hours ago, Larence Snow said:

It would have been great to have the spearwives. I said this on Fandom Following that when Jon found out Rickon was a hostage that would have been a cool plan-b for him to send the spearwives to infiltrate Winterfell to save Rickon. Seriously, if Ramsay doesn't notice that Moat Calin has been taken over is he really going to notice some new women servers in Winterfell?

Again, why the spearwives worked was because of the Bolton's misogyny and underestimation of women. These would have actually been interesting, complex female characters to include in the season. We could have also had actual time with Rickon and fleshed out his character more. But nope. We instead got tons of meaningless filler and a Stark child treated as an after thought.

23 minutes ago, Low Sparrow said:

It is sad, the last of the giants was reduced to a plot device, to remind the feeble minded of something they oughta know well by now. Then they had the audacity to close with a song called Last of the Giants.

Not one of the other guards thought to shoot Wun Wun in the head the entire time? Ugh, if they could have bothered to forge him a giant flail and a shield, Wun Wun could have single-handedly destroyed the shield/pike formation. But, that wouldn't have empowered Sansa. He coulda have smashed through the gate without becoming a pin cushion. Ramsay didn't kill Wun Wun, D&D killed him long ago, by choosing to include him.

I'll at least give them credit for disproving their own bad writing. Arya said that nothing is neither worse or better than anything. Nothing (no adapatation of asoiaf) would have been way better than this anything/something (the adapatation we suffer now).

Ok I need to rant about Ramsay killing Wun Wun. Hated that. Killing a giant is supposed to be a big deal, like the stuff of songs. And that wasn't an epic fight like Donal Noye's or even a satirical one like Patrek stabbing a wounded giant in the back to show the cowardice and pettiness of the queen's men. 

That was just Ramsay being a "badass". That was B&W giving him his own (black) swan song, the opportunity to kill yet another character (and a giant, at that) before he kicked the bucket. 

Actually my brother said something that really encapsulates how much of a Mary Sue Ramsay really was. He said, "Jon hitting Ramsay in the face with that shield is really the first and only bad thing that has ever happened to Ramsay in four seasons."

Well at least that's over now. 

OK so I can rave here and no one will ban me??????????

I'M ANGRY - THIS SHOW COULD HAVE GONE ON INDEFINITELY PER THE BOOKS AS RESOURCE, BUT IS ENDING BECAUSE OF LACK OF IMAGINATION BY WRITERS IN FOLLOWING GRR MARTIN'S LEAD.

YOUNG AEGON SHOULD HAVE BEEN INTRODUCED!!!!!!!!!!!  TO ME THAT WAS ONE OF THE MOST INTERESTING AND POSSIBLY COMPELLING THINGS IN THE WHOLE STORY.  ARIANNE OF DORNE AND EVERY DORNE THREAD TRUNCATED MAKES ME ANGRY.  THERE WAS AMAZING DIVERSITY THERE, THE ORPHAN CHILDREN/NYMERIA AND HOW DORNE IS DISTINCTLY DIFFERENT FROM THE OTHER HOUSES.

THE SAND SNAKES ARE NOT EVEN RELATED TO ELARIA SAND!!!!!!!!!!!!  BUT THEY MAKE US THINK SHE IS THEIR MOTHER.  NO RESPECT FOR A COMPLEX CHARACTER LIKE AREO HOTAR!  A GREAT LEGENDARY WARRIOR PRIEST!

ARYA AND THE LIFE SHE LIVED IN BRAAVOS.  SLASHED!  MADE SO SIMPLISTIC AND EXPECTED.

EVERY TIME JAIME AND CERSEI REPEAT TO THE AUDIENCE "ALL I SEE IS US, I CAN'T EVEN SEE THE REST OF THEM, THEY ARE SO SMALL"

SWEET ROBYN SHAKING FITS!  NOT ONCE HAVE I SEEN SWEET ROBYN FLAIL INTO A FLAGON OF MILK OR THROW PORRIDGE AT A TAPESTRY. 

REPLACING CHARACTERS LIKE SANSA FOR JAYNE POOL!

THE IRRELEVANT BAND OF BROTHERHOOD OF BANNERS, THEY HUNG IN A CAVE AND SOLD GENDRY, THAT'S ALL?  WAITING FOR SOME BIG REVEAL ABOUT THE LORD OF LIGHT IN THE REMAINDER.

DANY SUDDENLY IS ABLE TO CONTROL DROGON IN 2 EPISODES - WITHOUT THE DRAGON HORN OF HELL.

THE KRAKEN KING MOOT WAS THE UGLIEST THING I EVER HAVE SEEN YET IN THE BOOK IS SO DAMN INTERESTING, THESE PEOPLE'S HERITAGE ARE BEING MAIMED.  VICTARION?  HOW MANY SONS WERE BORN TO QUELLAN GREYJOY?  WHAT LIKE 10?  BUT ONE EVIL UNCLE APPEARS AT THE ELEVENTH HOUR TO FACILITATE A FALSE FLAG EVENT BETWEEN DANY AND ASHA.  AERON GREYJOY IS A FASCINATING PRESENCE!

EURON CROWSEYE'S EYEPATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STANNIS.

THE LACK OF AN ICE DRAGON. 

THE SHY MAID WAS A REALLY NICE EXPERIENCE.  NO IT WAS NOT JUST ABOUT TURTLES.  I LOVE TYRION THE EXPLORER, QUOTING LONGSTRIDER ON THE GREENBLOOD.

JORAH THE ANDAL'S GRAYSCALE.  HE IS NOT AND NEVER HAS BEEN AND MAYBE HAS NEVER EVEN BEEN TO GRIFFIN'S ROOST.  JON CONNINGTON LIVES!

AEGON CANNOT WASH HIS HAIR!  THE BETTER CLAIMANT TO THE THRONE EVEN. 

HUGO HILL.

THE DRUNKEN SEARCH FOR TYSHA IN VOLANTIS.  THE SUMMER CORTIZAN

MY GOD, THE CREATION OF RAMSEY BOLTON AND PLOT POINT MADE FOR JAIME TO GO GET MYRCELLA WHO SPOKE 5 LINES BEFORE DYING.  THE BOOK PLOT WAS PART OF A LARGER AGENDA TO MOVE WOMEN INTO POSITIONS OF POWER BUT MYCELLA WAS PUT ON THE ALTAR OF "JAIME'S DRAMA".  THE FACT BRONN WAS THERE AND COHORTED WITH THE YOUNGEST SAND SNAKE WAS GROSS.  SAND SNAKES ARE NOT BRUTES, THEY ARE REFINED/BEAUTIFUL KILLERS WHO WORK IN THE SHADOWS (EXCEPT OBARA) NOT SHOVING SPEARS INTO PEOPLE'S HEADS (TWICE).

DORNE IS "TOUGH WOMEN DOING BLOODY VIOLENCE IN PERPETUAL RAGE".  THAT'S ALL.  AND NOBODY WAS SWIMMING AT THE WATER GARDENS!

BLOOD ORANGES ON THE PINK MARBLE

I CAN'T GO ON, A WOMAN IS TIRED

4 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

I don't know why but I'm always fascinated by people's individual breaking points with the show.  They're always a little different!  For me, the show was going down hill starting in s3 and the beginning of s4 but the Hound and Brienne fight was the shattering point for me.  As you say, the contrivance of that just crushed any last vestiges of benefit of the doubt I could give the show.

31 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

I don't know why but I'm always fascinated by people's individual breaking points with the show.  They're always a little different!  For me, the show was going down hill starting in s3 and the beginning of s4 but the Hound and Brienne fight was the shattering point for me.  As you say, the contrivance of that just crushed any last vestiges of benefit of the doubt I could give the show.

I find that interesting too. I hated the Brienne & Sandor fight because I liked both characters. The ass pulls by D & D to make that fight happen of course made things much worse. 

I'd been willing to forgive that and some of the other problems with season 4, if season 5 hadn't been so terrible. I was a bit disappointed with season 4 overall, even not including the Sandor & Brienne fight, and had hoped things would get better.

Season 5 is where I lost it. I remember before season 5 when rumors of Sansa in Wintefell were circulating. And I was like, "surely they wouldn't do that." But, then they did and I sat with my jaw wide open, thinking "these fuckers are really going through with it." And then it just got worse from there.

And of course Porne was a fucking disaster too. That and the continual screwing over of Jaime's character and the Carol whitewashing.

Oh by the way, if you hated the Sandor & Brienne fight wasn't it really nice of D & D to give us one more little shot in the ribs with Brienne's "A-Man" bullshit? Nice touch D & D.

1 hour ago, Iron Mother said:

OK so I can rave here and no one will ban me??????????

I'M ANGRY - THIS SHOW COULD HAVE GONE ON INDEFINITELY PER THE BOOKS AS RESOURCE, BUT IS ENDING BECAUSE OF LACK OF IMAGINATION BY WRITERS IN FOLLOWING GRR MARTIN'S LEAD.

YOUNG AEGON SHOULD HAVE BEEN INTRODUCED!!!!!!!!!!!  TO ME THAT WAS ONE OF THE MOST INTERESTING AND POSSIBLY COMPELLING THINGS IN THE WHOLE STORY.  ARIANNE OF DORNE AND EVERY DORNE THREAD TRUNCATED MAKES ME ANGRY.  THERE WAS AMAZING DIVERSITY THERE, THE ORPHAN CHILDREN/NYMERIA AND HOW DORNE IS DISTINCTLY DIFFERENT FROM THE OTHER HOUSES.

THE SAND SNAKES ARE NOT EVEN RELATED TO ELARIA SAND!!!!!!!!!!!!  BUT THEY MAKE US THINK SHE IS THEIR MOTHER.  NO RESPECT FOR A COMPLEX CHARACTER LIKE AREO HOTAR!  A GREAT LEGENDARY WARRIOR PRIEST!

ARYA AND THE LIFE SHE LIVED IN BRAAVOS.  SLASHED!  MADE SO SIMPLISTIC AND EXPECTED.

EVERY TIME JAIME AND CERSEI REPEAT TO THE AUDIENCE "ALL I SEE IS US, I CAN'T EVEN SEE THE REST OF THEM, THEY ARE SO SMALL"

SWEET ROBYN SHAKING FITS!  NOT ONCE HAVE I SEEN SWEET ROBYN FLAIL INTO A FLAGON OF MILK OR THROW PORRIDGE AT A TAPESTRY. 

REPLACING CHARACTERS LIKE SANSA FOR JAYNE POOL!

THE IRRELEVANT BAND OF BROTHERHOOD OF BANNERS, THEY HUNG IN A CAVE AND SOLD GENDRY, THAT'S ALL?  WAITING FOR SOME BIG REVEAL ABOUT THE LORD OF LIGHT IN THE REMAINDER.

DANY SUDDENLY IS ABLE TO CONTROL DROGON IN 2 EPISODES - WITHOUT THE DRAGON HORN OF HELL.

THE KRAKEN KING MOOT WAS THE UGLIEST THING I EVER HAVE SEEN YET IN THE BOOK IS SO DAMN INTERESTING, THESE PEOPLE'S HERITAGE ARE BEING MAIMED.  VICTARION?  HOW MANY SONS WERE BORN TO QUELLAN GREYJOY?  WHAT LIKE 10?  BUT ONE EVIL UNCLE APPEARS AT THE ELEVENTH HOUR TO FACILITATE A FALSE FLAG EVENT BETWEEN DANY AND ASHA.  AERON GREYJOY IS A FASCINATING PRESENCE!

EURON CROWSEYE'S EYEPATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STANNIS.

THE LACK OF AN ICE DRAGON. 

THE SHY MAID WAS A REALLY NICE EXPERIENCE.  NO IT WAS NOT JUST ABOUT TURTLES.  I LOVE TYRION THE EXPLORER, QUOTING LONGSTRIDER ON THE GREENBLOOD.

JORAH THE ANDAL'S GRAYSCALE.  HE IS NOT AND NEVER HAS BEEN AND MAYBE HAS NEVER EVEN BEEN TO GRIFFIN'S ROOST.  JON CONNINGTON LIVES!

AEGON CANNOT WASH HIS HAIR!  THE BETTER CLAIMANT TO THE THRONE EVEN. 

HUGO HILL.

THE DRUNKEN SEARCH FOR TYSHA IN VOLANTIS.  THE SUMMER CORTIZAN

MY GOD, THE CREATION OF RAMSEY BOLTON AND PLOT POINT MADE FOR JAIME TO GO GET MYRCELLA WHO SPOKE 5 LINES BEFORE DYING.  THE BOOK PLOT WAS PART OF A LARGER AGENDA TO MOVE WOMEN INTO POSITIONS OF POWER BUT MYCELLA WAS PUT ON THE ALTAR OF "JAIME'S DRAMA".  THE FACT BRONN WAS THERE AND COHORTED WITH THE YOUNGEST SAND SNAKE WAS GROSS.  SAND SNAKES ARE NOT BRUTES, THEY ARE REFINED/BEAUTIFUL KILLERS WHO WORK IN THE SHADOWS (EXCEPT OBARA) NOT SHOVING SPEARS INTO PEOPLE'S HEADS (TWICE).

DORNE IS "TOUGH WOMEN DOING BLOODY VIOLENCE IN PERPETUAL RAGE".  THAT'S ALL.  AND NOBODY WAS SWIMMING AT THE WATER GARDENS!

BLOOD ORANGES ON THE PINK MARBLE

I CAN'T GO ON, A WOMAN IS TIRED

Welcome to the Rant and Rave thread, well done!  You will find much love here.

Archived