[Spoilers] Rant and Rave without Reprecussions - Season 6 Edition

Ran

26 minutes ago, Johnston said:

I took it two ways.

One there is something magical about it, it only kills people who want to/need to die or  the Gods have no more use for .  Or someone who truly believes they are 'no one' is immune.  

OR 

When she was mixing the powders she was mixing the Antidote. It was a test as to how much she trusts her own work.  If she didn't drink then she failed because she didn't trust herself.  If she died well then who cares they are fed up with her failing shit. 

The thing is, it doesn't matter either way. It doesn't matter if one of these options is the "correct answer" or not. And I'm not at all confused, I know it means fuck all. It's just something that would look cool and leave viewers wondering, "OMG what does it mean?". It's exactly the typical bs writing that instead of creating a proper and well-developed mystery, goes for the cheap muddying of the water to create shallow and fake "suspense". 

6 hours ago, ArabellaVidal said:

http://watchersonthewall.com/new-photos-game-thrones-season-6-episode-4-book-stranger/#more-64627

Apparently Theon has also acquired a jet pack!

Also we have the pleasure of not one but TWO Tyrion scenes!

Oh joy.

Theon might be the character killed in episode 4. I had been expecting Loras, but we have to see him first and like him before he gets the chop. I will miss him, I had a weakness for him despite the walking cliché they made of him.

5 minutes ago, ArabellaVidal said:

We're going to have new bewbs this season. Apparently there is a Red Priestess in Meereen who is supposedly a replacement for Moqorro. Sad, really. I wanted to see a male priest of Rh'llor use his nudity to create magic...

No no no , tits are magic, peckers are not magic, just ask Tormund, there was no magic for Tormund when he spied Jons pecker during the "magic resurrection  ritual" and he was that disappointed he felt the need to tell Jon Snow forthwith. Tormund even felt the need to lift up the loincloth on Jon to check, evidently!

What is the point of Theon's years of torture if they will kill of in episode four? Than all those scenes were literally made only to give us torture? Why? This is just (again) so offensive. 

1 minute ago, Tijgy said:

What is the point of Theon's years of torture if they will kill of in episode four? Than all those scenes were literally made only to give us torture? Why? This is just (again) so offensive. 

It doesn't make sense. If it does happen, then it is probable that this will give Yara motivation to go seek Dany's help in overthrowing Euron. Do you really think they will kill Theon this early? He is kind-of a major character even in the show.

29 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

No point, other than some shit irony of Theon going "home" fearing Jon Snow will kill him and he ends up dead anyway, they need a "WTF! Nooo!" death, and clearing the characters they don't want to do anything with anymore...Nothing is nothing. Remember Barristan. Theon did a good thing and be at peace with himself, so he's off to die. Ironborn will probably cite he's a traitor for having the Ironborn of Moat Cailin killed for Ramsay.

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

Given the changes they made, they'll probably have Ned hacking Lyanna to pieces, for shaming her family.

But, only after he brags to Lyanna about all the people he's beat up and all the women he's been with. None of which is true of course or something to brag about. He'll probably flex his biceps too for Lyanna's benefit.

It's Ned The Meathead!  Brought to you by the folks that brought you Winterhell!

50 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

What was the point of Sansa's storyline last season? She didn't need more reasons to hate the Boltons. I will be astonished if Theon is still alive after the next episode.

9 minutes ago, LadySoftheart said:

What was the point of Sansa's storyline last season? 

Low rent soap opera drama?

That would be my first guess. There maybe other good guesses. Though actually improving her story not being one.

It certainly didn't make Sansa's book story any better. Because really what did she do in Winterhell other than get abused by Ramsay? Not much. Thanks, but I'll take a pass on that.

8 hours ago, ArabellaVidal said:

They have finally introduced Howland Reed and Petyr has already told Sansa about the tourney. I doubt that they'll have a flashback of events that happened before the ToJ. It would have been better if they had the tourney and I wouldn't have minded a glimpse of Ned with Ashara Dayne along with Bran's clumsy commentary on how he had heard from the gossip in WF that people said she was Jon's mother. It would have been much better than this barreling towards the obvious which is so inelegant.

I expect after Bizarro!Ned bragging about killing Ser Dual-Wield a thousand times, he'd probably go on to brag about how he scored with the guy's hot sister too (probably pawned Dawn & Dusk to pay off some gambling drinking/debts to boot).

5 hours ago, Low Sparrow said:

Let's be honest. Were the show handed to two other hack writers, and given the same budget ... let's say either a Roger Corman or the guys who wrote the script for White Girls [feel free to insert any tandem of horrible writers here] ... would the show be any worse?

Honestly? Could anyone, regardless of lack of talent, given the same resources, have made the show worse than what we are seeing right now?

Honestly no, things might be handled with even less competence but most hacks would still end up more faithful to the books, because most writers don't literally invert what they are ineptly stealing from.

When Benioff adapted Deadpool to the screen (X-Men Origins Wolverine), he decided the best thing to do would be to take a character who's tagline is "The Merc with a Mouth" and literally remove his mouth, leaving him mute.* http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/3/34333/755172-dp_splicing3.png

When Benioff adapted the Iliad into Troy he cut out the gods (who are kind of a big deal!), changed the time-scale from around a decade to a few days, and of course made seemingly obligatory changes and omissions of characterisations and characters.

It's not just how he approaches ASOIAF, it's his standard operating procedure, and evidently the same goes for Weiss but he has no previous credits to compare (though he attempted to adapt HaloEnder's Game and I Am Legend his scripts/screenplays were never used which is probably an indicator in itself).

*Also gave him laser eyes and Baraka arms, just because. I wouldn't consider myself a fan of the character, but I was pleased to see that the recent movie, which was very faithful to the source material, did extremely well.

1 hour ago, OldGimletEye said:

Low rent soap opera drama?

That would be my first guess. There maybe other good guesses. Though actually improving her story not being one.

It certainly didn't make Sansa's book story any better. Because really what did she do in Winterhell other than get abused by Ramsay? Not much. Thanks, but I'll take a pass on that.

Because it was Dramatically Satisfying to have her in a gothic horror, apparently. It's okay, she's going to be Strong™ now.

13 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I seriously feel like the only person who watched that and saw Ned Stark's character assassination, even not counting the bad acting and casting.

I find it interesting that many consider Howland's assistance an affront to Ned's honor.  This is exactly how I pictured the denouement of this fight.  Ned has given Howland credit for saving his life, after all.

GRRM's constant themes with the books are that "History" is all in the eye of the POV character and that reality never matches the legend.  How could anyone expect that Ned could defeat Arthur Dayne in single combat?  The fact that there were two survivors indicated to me that they ganged up on him. But that's how war works.  It's butchery, not glorious.

So, I see there is now a segment of viewers that are confused as to child Lyanna's age compared to her brothers. 

Why must the show be so confusing and leave so much off screen, therefore, forcing viewers to develop their own theories to spackle the holes? 

This happened with the Dorne boat in KL, Many parts of the Jon- CB scenes and with Tyrion and Varys working in Meereen. It doesn't feel like good storytelling when thread upon thread is started to try and fill the holes.   

21 minutes ago, Rhaegun said:

I find it interesting that many consider Howland's assistance an affront to Ned's honor.  

Who said anything about that? Most of the folk bothers supposed Ned's bragging about how he killed Dayne. And some have problem with his final blow, I think. And D$D comment in "Inside the episode".

3 minutes ago, apovsic said:

Who said anything about that? Most of the folk bothers supposed Ned's bragging about how he killed Dayne. And some have problem with his final blow, I think. And D$D comment in "Inside the episode".

And with Bran said afterwards. 

Howland attacking Dayne is not the problem. A fight is a fight.

Just now, Tijgy said:

Yup, but clearly Bran's reaction was supposed to make us think it was a problem. And the Outside the Episode rather confirmed this.

In the same episode where Umber cited Ramsay's kinslaying as being a reason worth joining his cause.

2 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

And Ned's tone when he talks with Dayne (sadness, what is this?).

Well, to put it short, everything else than Reed's backstabbing :D

Just now, Chebyshov said:

Yup, but clearly Bran's reaction was supposed to make us think it was a problem. And the Outside the Episode rather confirmed this.

In the same episode where Umber cited Ramsay's kinslaying as being a reason worth joining his cause.

I agree. The problem is really how D&D wanted to be this the end of the myth of the honourable Ned Stark. If anything that should be the end of the myth of the Ned who never lies, it should be the discovery of L+R=J (If you see this as something dishonorable of course :dunno:)

1 minute ago, Tijgy said:

Exactly. It's in the books, Ned and Reed against Dayne, and only the former two survive. How many threads have we had speculating on how Reed saved Ned? With a net, a poisoned dart, an attack from behind, etc etc etc. That's NOT the problem. The problem is the idea that Ned bragged about it hundreds of times - or was it thousands of times? - and that is what ruins the character. And that never happened. Then of course, the comments by Mr Benioff and Mr Weiss... 

Archived