Your most-read authors

The Marquis de Leech

47 minutes ago, Mandy said:

However, Daniel Abraham should really be on there like second, but he writes under so many pen names it doesn't recognize him as the same person.

I didn't think about that, but he'd move up into my top 10 with 15 books if I included James S.A. Corey (and his share of Hunter's Run along with the books he wrote on his own.

Number one has to be Asimov. The man wrote over 450 books, fiction and non-fiction and I tried to read them all. 

Patrick O'Brian as I read the complete set of Jack Aubrey novels might be second.

Stephen King for third as I was on a binge over the last few years.

Roger Zelazny maybe fourth as again I read absolutely everything he wrote

Kurt Vonnegut as again in my impressionable youth, I read his entire output.

Come to think of it, just about any writer I can think of, I have read pretty well everything they wrote.

• 23 for Neil Gaiman (mostly Sandman graphic novels)
  • 21 for Lois McMaster Bujold
  • 20 for Daniel Abraham (+4 if we count the Expanse novellas)
  • 19 for Jim Butcher
  • 12 for Charlie Huston
  • 12 for Robin Hobb (will be 16 by the end of this year, and 19 by the end of next)
  • 10 for GRRM
  • 10 for Timothy Zahn listed on my librarything, but I read a lot of him as a teen, so it might be double that
  • 9 for Graham Joyce - I was going to stop at > 10, but I couldn't leave him off when he was so close

I think that the author I've read most books from is Anne McCaffrey. I've read every Chronicles of Pern book I could've got my hands on and I have 15-ish of those books on my shelves.

As for others, I have no idea.

10 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Ha, yeah, GR only has books I own, so my insane LIbrary reading days are not included:

1 Bernard Cornwell 44

2 Margaret Weis 32

3 L.E. Modesitt Jr .27

3 Glen Cook 27

5 Troy Denning 26

6 Terry Brooks 22

6 Stephen King 22

8 Michael A. Stackpole 21

8 Mine Yoshizaki 21

8 David Weber 21

Yeah me and my teenage self need to talk.  King should be Higher cause I've read almost all his books. So I think he edges out Cornwell by just a smidgen. And it counts Manga too?

:o

This was unexpected!

7 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:
  • 23 for Neil Gaiman (mostly Sandman graphic novels)
  • 21 for Lois McMaster Bujold
  • 20 for Daniel Abraham (+4 if we count the Expanse novellas)
  • 19 for Jim Butcher
  • 12 for Charlie Huston
  • 12 for Robin Hobb (will be 16 by the end of this year, and 19 by the end of next)
  • 10 for GRRM
  • 10 for Timothy Zahn listed on my librarything, but I read a lot of him as a teen, so it might be double that
  • 9 for Graham Joyce - I was going to stop at > 10, but I couldn't leave him off when he was so close

Are any of those planned Hobb books the Windsingers Quartet? I've been meaning to get around to them for a while now but something else always gets in the way. I can recommend the Reindeer People and Wolf's Brother, if you've not read them yet. 

Number one for me would be Terry Pratchett with 49 books.

Timothy Zahn - 24 (My favorite in high school)

Anne McCaffrey -17 (Mostly Dragonriders but also the Donna trilogy and a couple others)

Dan Abnett - 15

Danial Abraham -14

Lincoln Child -14 (about five too many)

Tony Hillerman- 12 books (for some reason I thought I had read more).

Lois McMaster Bujold - 12

The author I know I am missing was the lady who I read in Jr. High.  I can't think of her name but she wrote teen horror books along with other genres.  I bet I would be in the 20's with her works.

EDIT:  I found it!  Joan Lowery Nixon was the author I read the hell out of in Jr. High. 

2 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I used to read a lot of poop.

As you get older, you will realize that in middle age you had read a lot of poop also. I expect to find out when doddering into my grave that I had read a lot of poop in my senior years. 

25 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Thinking about dumping the Weber books too, started out strong and then the last like...5 or 6 years have been, well, poop.

But Honor's poop probably smells like chocolate. 

I gave up on Weber once some dude's wife was like "Go ahead, bone Honor, she's so awesome."

12 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Are any of those planned Hobb books the Windsingers Quartet? I've been meaning to get around to them for a while now but something else always gets in the way. I can recommend the Reindeer People and Wolf's Brother, if you've not read them yet. 

Rainwilds this year, Final Fitz next year.  Maybe some of her Lindholm works in '18 or '19; your talking about Reindeer People in the reading thread definitely made me want to give it a try.

1.  Louis L'Amour 35-40 some multiple times and most before I was 14

2.  Robert Jordan 15

3.  Bernard Cornwell 13

4.  Stephen King 10 or 11 I think

5.  Steven Erikson 8

Seems kind of odd that if someone asked me about authors I like the only one from that list I would mention is Cornwell.  Not that I dislike the others though either.

Eh, not sure on numbers since I don't track such things much these days, but some authors I've read/own more than others:

Henry James (pretty much own everything, fiction and non-fiction alike, published by Library of America, so with 2-5 works/volume, around 30-40 works?)

Most everything by Gene Wolfe

All fiction and a lot of non-fiction by Umberto Eco (in several translations and the original Italian)

All of Borges' available works in Spanish

All of Roberto Bolaño's published (posthumous mostly) work in Spanish

Most of Mario Vargas Llosa

Probably a dozen or more of Ursula Le Guin's novels/collections

Virtually all of Tolkien's posthumous Middle-Earth writings and verse translations/compositions

And although it's a single story, I have roughly 20 translations (2/3 of which I understand to one degree or another) of Le Petit Prince, one of my all-time favorite stories.  One more than the translations of the Bible that I own.

Archived