Jump to content
The Marquis de Leech

Your most-read authors

Recommended Posts

1. Gene Wolfe 23

2. Philip K. Dick 17

3. Robert Jordan 15

3. Bernard Cornwell 15

5. Larry Niven 12

6. Steven Erikson 11

7. Daniel Abraham 9

7. Fred Saberhagen 9

7. Sharon Kay Penman 9

Surprising no one at all Gene Wolfe is my most read author.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Mandy said:

However, Daniel Abraham should really be on there like second, but he writes under so many pen names it doesn't recognize him as the same person.

I didn't think about that, but he'd move up into my top 10 with 15 books if I included James S.A. Corey (and his share of Hunter's Run along with the books he wrote on his own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I didn't think about that, but he'd move up into my top 10 with 15 books if I included James S.A. Corey (and his share of Hunter's Run along with the books he wrote on his own.

Yup.  He wrote a UF series under the name MLN Hanover that I really enjoyed, as well.   That man can pump out the books and the quality doesn't suffer for it :D

Edited by Mandy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Number one has to be Asimov. The man wrote over 450 books, fiction and non-fiction and I tried to read them all. 

Patrick O'Brian as I read the complete set of Jack Aubrey novels might be second.

Stephen King for third as I was on a binge over the last few years.

Roger Zelazny maybe fourth as again I read absolutely everything he wrote

Kurt Vonnegut as again in my impressionable youth, I read his entire output.

Come to think of it, just about any writer I can think of, I have read pretty well everything they wrote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think my top six most-read are Tad Williams, Tolkien, GRRM, Anne McCaffrey, Elizabeth Moon, Robert Jordan... probably in that order. After that, it's a little hard to judge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 23 for Neil Gaiman (mostly Sandman graphic novels)
  • 21 for Lois McMaster Bujold
  • 20 for Daniel Abraham (+4 if we count the Expanse novellas)
  • 19 for Jim Butcher
  • 12 for Charlie Huston
  • 12 for Robin Hobb (will be 16 by the end of this year, and 19 by the end of next)
  • 10 for GRRM
  • 10 for Timothy Zahn listed on my librarything, but I read a lot of him as a teen, so it might be double that
  • 9 for Graham Joyce - I was going to stop at > 10, but I couldn't leave him off when he was so close

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that the author I've read most books from is Anne McCaffrey. I've read every Chronicles of Pern book I could've got my hands on and I have 15-ish of those books on my shelves.

As for others, I have no idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Ha, yeah, GR only has books I own, so my insane LIbrary reading days are not included:

 

1 Bernard Cornwell 44

2 Margaret Weis 32

3 L.E. Modesitt Jr .27

3 Glen Cook 27

5 Troy Denning 26

6 Terry Brooks 22

6 Stephen King 22

8 Michael A. Stackpole 21

8 Mine Yoshizaki 21

8 David Weber 21

Yeah me and my teenage self need to talk.  King should be Higher cause I've read almost all his books. So I think he edges out Cornwell by just a smidgen. And it counts Manga too?

:o

This was unexpected!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:
  • 23 for Neil Gaiman (mostly Sandman graphic novels)
  • 21 for Lois McMaster Bujold
  • 20 for Daniel Abraham (+4 if we count the Expanse novellas)
  • 19 for Jim Butcher
  • 12 for Charlie Huston
  • 12 for Robin Hobb (will be 16 by the end of this year, and 19 by the end of next)
  • 10 for GRRM
  • 10 for Timothy Zahn listed on my librarything, but I read a lot of him as a teen, so it might be double that
  • 9 for Graham Joyce - I was going to stop at > 10, but I couldn't leave him off when he was so close

Are any of those planned Hobb books the Windsingers Quartet? I've been meaning to get around to them for a while now but something else always gets in the way. I can recommend the Reindeer People and Wolf's Brother, if you've not read them yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Number one for me would be Terry Pratchett with 49 books.

Timothy Zahn - 24 (My favorite in high school)

Anne McCaffrey -17 (Mostly Dragonriders but also the Donna trilogy and a couple others)

Dan Abnett - 15

Danial Abraham -14

Lincoln Child -14 (about five too many)

Tony Hillerman- 12 books (for some reason I thought I had read more).

Lois McMaster Bujold - 12

The author I know I am missing was the lady who I read in Jr. High.  I can't think of her name but she wrote teen horror books along with other genres.  I bet I would be in the 20's with her works.

EDIT:  I found it!  Joan Lowery Nixon was the author I read the hell out of in Jr. High. 

Edited by SkynJay
Found info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I used to read a lot of poop.

As you get older, you will realize that in middle age you had read a lot of poop also. I expect to find out when doddering into my grave that I had read a lot of poop in my senior years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of those authors I finally just dropped a few years ago too. Like, wait, why am I still reading this?

Thinking about dumping the Weber books too, started out strong and then the last like...5 or 6 years have been, well, poop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Thinking about dumping the Weber books too, started out strong and then the last like...5 or 6 years have been, well, poop.

But Honor's poop probably smells like chocolate. 

I gave up on Weber once some dude's wife was like "Go ahead, bone Honor, she's so awesome."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Are any of those planned Hobb books the Windsingers Quartet? I've been meaning to get around to them for a while now but something else always gets in the way. I can recommend the Reindeer People and Wolf's Brother, if you've not read them yet. 

Rainwilds this year, Final Fitz next year.  Maybe some of her Lindholm works in '18 or '19; your talking about Reindeer People in the reading thread definitely made me want to give it a try.

Edited by RedEyedGhost
Completing my thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×