How did Sansa and Theon survive the cold water?

Ser Meryn Frey

There's a theory that a lot of supernatural things were going on at that location - such as the disappearing dogs - possibly due to all of the death that occurred there in such a short amount of time, or possibly due to the Bolton's many 'sacrifices' to some unknown dark god. Basically, it caused the laws of the universe to be malleable for a short time.

Not necessarily death. But amputations for sure.

I don't think many people in the industry have any concept of the cold. They think +10C is cold. I very rarely see any film or show that treats it properly. In part demonstrated by the complete inability to show believable snow. Anywhere. Ever.

On 5/15/2016 at 8:25 PM, Vastet said:

Not necessarily death. But amputations for sure.

I don't think many people in the industry have any concept of the cold. They think +10C is cold. I very rarely see any film or show that treats it properly. In part demonstrated by the complete inability to show believable snow. Anywhere. Ever.

We all know jumping into a snow drift from a 50 foot high castle wall is exactly the same as falling into a pool of feathers and cotton balls, right?

I come from a cold country myself, and I love the snow and winter. Some parts the show gets right, like showing Theon/Reek walking through the Winterfell courtyard while the blizzard raged, I thought that was a great way of showing he had been dehumanized to the point that he didn't feel the cold at all, because believe me, you would feel that and exposed skin would probably get damaged in about 10 minutes. But largely, yeah, it seems like most of the people involved in the show grew up in someplace like Atlanta where an inch of snow is cause for the city to shut down.

As for the water, yeah, with no shelter and no way to get out of their wet clothes, they would most likely suffer hypothermia or possibly a heart attack due to shock.

Kinda depends how big the drifts are. I was in Toronto in '99 when the mayor called in the army (lol) because it snowed so much so quickly. Every street was reduced to half of regular width, and the banks at the sides of roads were significantly taller than my 6'. You could easily and safely jump off a fourth or fifth floor balcony into some of the drifts that formed.

17 minutes ago, Vastet said:

Kinda depends how big the drifts are. I was in Toronto in '99 when the mayor called in the army (lol) because it snowed so much so quickly. Every street was reduced to half of regular width, and the banks at the sides of roads were significantly taller than my 6'. You could easily and safely jump off a fourth or fifth floor balcony into some of the drifts that formed.

I suppose that's true. I guess I was thinking the drifts around Winterfell would be more of the late winter variety, hardened mounds that don't finish melting until June, but I guess if the snow were fresh, Theon and Sansa could have done it. But there sure didn't seem to be enough snow around.

WoW spoiler

Spoiler

Theon and Jeyne did suffer frostbite, Jeyne notably lost a part of her nose. They also happened to run into an army that was relatively friendly and shared supplies.

Yeah, what happened on the show was immensely improbable. There needed to be some consequence to this. Apparently, Stannis was unnecessarily worried about the cold...

20 minutes ago, Vastet said:

I also come from a spot that either gets no snow in the winter, or friggin' feet of it at a time to the point where only a bulldozer down the road can manage a single lane. It can be so much fun because we make actual snow forts when the snow drifts and piles easily go over 6'.

Now, jumping from 40'-50' into 6' of snow is possible if the snow is just right. Now take that 45'-50' and double that and you would need atleast double the snow, if not more because of the terminal velocity thing.

The amount of snow we saw at Winterhell in the jump scene is literally something I brushed away with a broom this past winter. And yet, Sansa and Theon did not have so much a s a sprained ankle??? :dunno:

As far as the water scene... I am assuming adrenaline kept them warm. That and some really thick woolen plot underclothes. That and they kept running long enough that they dried off???

And I guess that crossing the river didn't throw their scent trail off as Theon said and I guess the Bolton men following them had no issue crossing either?

Adding, how did they get the horses and dogs to cross?

8 minutes ago, ArabellaVidal said:

WoW spoiler

Hide contents

Theon and Jeyne did suffer frostbite, Jeyne notably lost a part of her nose. They also happened to run into an army that was relatively friendly and shared supplies.

Yeah, what happened on the show was immensely improbable. There needed to be some consequence to this. Apparently, Stannis was unnecessarily worried about the cold...

He could have worn a hoodie and been just fine.

8 minutes ago, ArabellaVidal said:

WoW spoiler

Hide contents

There you go again... trying to bring things like "consequences" into the actions of the the tv characters.

;)

On May 19, 2016 at 7:42 AM, Aegonzo The Great said:

We all know jumping into a snow drift from a 50 foot high castle wall is exactly the same as falling into a pool of feathers and cotton balls, right?

I come from a cold country myself, and I love the snow and winter. Some parts the show gets right, like showing Theon/Reek walking through the Winterfell courtyard while the blizzard raged, I thought that was a great way of showing he had been dehumanized to the point that he didn't feel the cold at all, because believe me, you would feel that and exposed skin would probably get damaged in about 10 minutes. But largely, yeah, it seems like most of the people involved in the show grew up in someplace like Atlanta where an inch of snow is cause for the city to shut down.

As for the water, yeah, with no shelter and no way to get out of their wet clothes, they would most likely suffer hypothermia or possibly a heart attack due to shock.

They grew up in cold weather.  Sansa from the north and Theon from the sea.

On 5/24/2016 at 11:56 AM, lightningbolton said:

They grew up in cold weather.  Sansa from the north and Theon from the sea.

There is "growing up in cold weather", and then there is "surviving something that should not be possible for any human". Maybe someone grew up in south Florida, but I don't think they would do better than any other person if they tried to swim in a boiling lake.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On May 26, 2016 at 1:40 AM, Aegonzo The Great said:

There is "growing up in cold weather", and then there is "surviving something that should not be possible for any human". Maybe someone grew up in south Florida, but I don't think they would do better than any other person if they tried to swim in a boiling lake.

Freeza would of survived.

With Jon Snow being 'risen again' ...I suppose anything is possible. :rolleyes: I've only seen the first two episodes of this season, and lost interest, maybe because it felt unrealistic. I'm intending to binge watch the rest of the season when it's over.

• 10 months later...
On 5/13/2016 at 9:28 AM, Ser Meryn Frey said:

Being from a cold country myself, I know how devastating cold water can be in cold weather. Walking through a stream like that during winter in real life would certainly lead to death.

How did they survive it?

Depends on how long they were walking around before the Bolton soldiers showed up and Brianna and Pod took them out.

Archived