1 hour ago, Tooms said:

George himself did suggest that being fireproof was a one off... but there is no evidence in the book one way or another. There's a tonne of theories all the same, so I don't mind the show simplifying those into basically she's fire proof.

Um, there's a ton of evidence in the books that Targaryens aren't fireproof. Jon's burned himself, Viserys has been killed by molten gold, Rhaenrya was dragon fired to death, Aerion drank some wildfire etc.

1 hour ago, Ludo Kressh said:

7 minutes ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

Um, there's a ton of evidence in the books that Targaryens aren't fireproof. Jon's burned himself, Viserys has been killed by molten gold, Rhaenrya was dragon fired to death, Aerion drank some wildfire etc.

Jon is a Stark anyway. Closer to a Wolf than a Dragon.

Yeah, Aegon V and Prince Duncan the Small died in the tragedy at Summerhall as well.

Hell, if the Targaryens were somehow immune to fire they would have been unique among those from Valyria, considering what we know of the Doom of Valyria.

Edited by xi0

42 minutes ago, Raksha 2014 said:

I assume you mean that Davos decided to give a damn about Stannis and Shireen.  I wonder if Davos will learn Shireen's fate, and what his reaction will be; if he will kill Melisandre.  I loved the Jon/Sansa reunion; best  part of the show. Hopefully the Starks are going to start reclaiming what was theirs.  The sooner Ramsay is dead, the better for everyone.

Yeah I thought Davos questioning Mel was kind of out of order (ie. maybe he should have questioned her BEFORE he asked her for help resurrecting Jon). I suppose as fans, we're supposed to look at it from his perspective in time. Season 5 ends with he and Jon speaking at Castle Black as Mel rides in. He asks her what happened and she brushes him off and runs away. Hours later Jon is stabbed and dead. Season 6 starts right after the stabbing with Davos finding him and bringing him in the room. Allister Thorne gives them till sundown to do give up Jon's body. So he only has a few hours to ask for Edd to get back, and for him to ask for Mel's help. Of course, the showrunners string the happenings of maybe a 24 hr event into 3 episodes (Season 5 finale and 2 episodes of Season 6), which to us feels like forever. I guess now that things have settled a little at CB, he can put his focus back on Stannis/Shireen.

The only critique I have of the whole plotline is what was Davos' motivation to bring Jon back to life or even think of asking. Why wouldn't he just have a funeral and be done with it? Other than Stannis seeing something special in Jon during his visit to CB, I can't really come up with any really good reasons.

It's not a deal-breaker or anything for me. I just wish the motivation or reason to bring Jon back was a little more fleshed out for us.

9 minutes ago, Ser Desmond Wine's Bane said:

No they aren't. D&D decided that themselves after reading the first 3 books. 

Not liking someone else's posting patterns is fine - normal even. Misrepresenting them in such a way is shooting oneself in the foot.

D&D aren't the people who persuaded HBO to take the series? I think that you will find that the sequence of events was that they decided they wanted to do a series on the books, then then got GRRM on board and then they got the HBO execs on board.

Without them, no series.

So when folk are talking them down about how miserably stupid they are, I think to myself that they have actually produced the most successful series on television and the critics have not. So when people try to puff themselves up and make themselves appear important by running them down, I come to a rather different conclusion to the one intended.

12 minutes ago, marsyao said:

Really, how about read GRRM's novle for a change? Oh, wait...

Unless I am mistaken, GRRM isn't claiming to write a true history. The folk who wrote our school history books were and they sucked at it. Twenty pages of one English victory after the other in the Hundred Years War. Then you turn the page and we are down to Calais and no explanation. However for all their faults they didn't try to claim that St George fought a real dragon.

What GRRM is pointing out is that things didn't happen the way the history books claim. LFs power play is actually very credible. He makes it appear that the accusation that he sold Sansa to the Boltons is an attempt to cover up his own treachery. that is precisely the LF we know from the books.

4 minutes ago, Every Last Chicken said:

The only critique I have of the whole plotline is what was Davos' motivation to bring Jon back to life or even think of asking. Why wouldn't he just have a funeral and be done with it? Other than Stannis seeing something special in Jon during his visit to CB, I can't really come up with any really good reasons.

It's this compounded with Mel losing her faith that made it even worse to me. We're supposed to believe Davos, who literally tried to kill her, would think of resurrecting Jon before she ever would and give her a pep-talk over her "miracles"?

1 hour ago, Trebla said:

I LOVED that Tormund was making eyes at Brienne. This IS a guy who claims he is Husband to Bears. The Bear and the Maiden Fair indeed!

This part had me laughing out loud on my couch. Just his face as he bit into that big hunk of meat had me rolling.

That and when Daario decided he wasn't leaving his nekked woman dagger behind.

1 minute ago, xi0 said:

It's this compounded with Mel losing her faith that made it even worse to me. We're supposed to believe Davos, who literally tried to kill her, would think of resurrecting Jon before she ever would and give her a pep-talk over her "miracles"?

Davos is desperate to defeat the White Walkers and he knows that Jon is the only person who can do it.

1 minute ago, Every Last Chicken said:

This part had me laughing out loud on my couch. Just his face as he bit into that big hunk of meat had me rolling.

That and when Daario decided he wasn't leaving his nekked woman dagger behind.

What I thought a bit odd was that there wasn't some sort of cloakroom where you check your weapon. Seems that the might get stolen rather easily just dropping them like that.

2 minutes ago, hallam said:

So when folk are talking them down about how miserably stupid they are, I think to myself that they have actually produced the most successful series on television and the critics have not. So when people try to puff themselves up and make themselves appear important by running them down, I come to a rather different conclusion to the one intended.

So because someone can't create an immensely popular television show themselves, they have no right to critique or complain about it from a fan's perspective? Sorry, that's pure ad-hominem.

55 minutes ago, Steelborn said:

She's been immune to fire since day one in show-canon, they needed to show that off again. And Drogon saving her all of a sudden again would have been repetitive in my opinion.

And her miraculously surviving being burned alive isn't repetitive either? Well, I guess it is different this time with no magic being involved...lol

Just now, xi0 said:

So because someone can't create an immensely popular television show themselves, they have no right to critique or complain about it from a fan's perspective? Sorry, that's pure ad-hominem.

No, that is not an ad hominem. Go look it up.

If you are criticizing people who have done what you have never done and almost certainly never will, you probably shouldn't call them 'idiots', 'stupid' and all the other names that the haters here use. I don't think it makes any of you look clever or important.

Just now, xi0 said:

not only that even compared to earlier seasons the show has taken a nosedive, i can't believe the 10/10 or 9/10 for every episode this season, this people apparently don't remember how great this show was or their 10 is the same 10 for blackwater hardhome the red wedding and the red woman...

4 minutes ago, hallam said:

Davos is desperate to defeat the White Walkers and he knows that Jon is the only person who can do it.

How does he know that? Jon lost at Hardhome by the way. Him having a Valyrian Steel sword doesn't qualify him to defeat them necessarily.

13 minutes ago, hallam said:

No, that is not an ad hominem. Go look it up.

If you are criticizing people who have done what you have never done and almost certainly never will, you probably shouldn't call them 'idiots', 'stupid' and all the other names that the haters here use. I don't think it makes any of you look clever or important.

No, I suggest you follow your own advice.

You're literally telling people that they shouldn't be allowed to say or think certain things because they aren't capable of creating it themselves. That's very much the definition of ad hominem. Attitudes like that only do a disservice to any reasonable discussion. Calling people "haters" is such a fatuous remark and only seeks to undermine their opinion.

Mind you, I'm not the one here calling D&D idiots or telling people who have no issue with the show today that they're stupid. I just don't think the show is at the level of quality it once was.

Edited by xi0

11 minutes ago, xi0 said:

How does he know that? Jon lost at Hardhome by the way. Him having a Valyrian Steel sword doesn't qualify him to defeat them necessarily.

Well, he is the only person on the show thus far that has actually killed an Other, so that makes him as qualified as anyone.

3 minutes ago, xi0 said:

Davos was there when Stannis offered him the North and Winterfell if he will support him. And he refused because he had taken an oath. That is the sort of thing that would impress a person like Davos.

More generally, who is left from the noble houses?

House Baratheon and Lannister are down to one heir - Tommen. And house Tyrell is down to Margery and Loras who are both imprisoned by a religious crank. House Martell has just lost its prince. The Starks have been displaced by the Boltons but they are now down to just Ramsay. The vale is down to SweetRobyn and the Greyjoys have Yara and a eunuch.

Seems to me that there isn't very much scope left for dynastic power struggles. Between Robert, Joffrey and Cersei, pretty much all the great houses are now down to one surviving heir if that.