Well, still hoping for a show GNC! Poor Osha. 

Glad Edd and Davos decided to talk a bit more, however brief both the questioning about the NW and about Shireen were.

Jon and Sansa bonding was ok, though I don't understand why she needs him to ask the lords of the north to join them, she is the daughter of Eddard Stark, so you would expect the Northen lords to want to help her.

The looks Tormund gave Briene were very funny.

Mereen was ok, I guess it makes sense in the current circumstances, seeing Tyrion in action was excellent.

KL, start was a bit dull, more preaching from the HS, but the final scenes were interesting, Cersei returning to her old ways I hope, not turning into an actual reasonable person with this alliance, the aftermath hopefully leading tua actual discordance between her and Jaime.

The Vale is what it is, not bad, though I find it strange that the 2nd most powerful lord of the vale was so easily intimidated, and as I seem to recall, in the books he was one of the major supporters of helping the Starks in the first place.

The II had a decent scene, not sure where they are going with though, if Asha is to loose the KIngsmoot then Theon appears to be useless, if not why bring in Euron at all, but it remains to be seen.

Dany, oh Dany, I thought I was going to dislike this because it would be another Drogon saves the day moment, but what transpired was worse, she slowly throws the braziers that seemed to be field with petrol or alcohol, and the strong khals and friends were unable to break what appeared to be relatively thin wooden walls, or even stop the 1.6m girl from turning more braziers over. It's not worth mentioning that Dany should not be fireproof because clearly in the show she is more fireproof than the dragons.

Here's my theory on the Umbers and Rickon.  The Umbers are planning on turning on Ramsay (maybe the Karstarks are in on it too), but not of loyalty to the Starks.  The Umbers don't care if there is a Stark in Winterfell or not, they just want to make sure that the Ramsay the psycopath is killed.  Anyone who takes over after that will be better than Ramsay and the Umbers are willing to sacrifice Rickon to make it happen.  They need Jon Snow to unite the North against Ramsay, and the death of Rickon or the hostage use of Rickon will motivate Jon.

31 minutes ago, Philpenn said:

Even with book Dany, I'm not convinced the George was 100% when he made that comment.

I agree. My understanding in reading the books was that only certain rare Targs are fireproof, just like only rare Starks are wargs.  There is a strain of these incredible abilities in each of these families but it is far from universal.  Those Targs that are genuinely fireproof really do have 
"the blood of the dragon."  In the books Dany may not know that she is always fireproof, not understanding how the power works.

12 hours ago, hallam said:

Presumably, if the lanterns were not in the positions she wanted them, she would have given a different speech.

However, since it is night and there has to be some form of illumination, it is a fair bet that the lanterns are still there from the morning.

OK, not 100% certain but if it was me in that situation my much bigger concern would be that maybe I am only fireproof when hatching dragon eggs and burning a witch.

Is there a possibility that someone prepped the room for Dany?  If there was oil on the floor before she knocked over the lanterns the flames would spread more rapidly.     

Edited by Dragon Sharpe
syntax

This is the first episode in a long time my Unsullied husband and I did not need an in depth discussion or reminder of who's-who or how it differs from the books.

"Let's show viewers all these characters from 3 seasons before!" I believe this is what he said.  (He also smirked about the odds of the following characters surviving this season: too-slow Tommen, Rickon, Sweet Robyn.)

I like the Jon-Sansa reunion even if it's not mind-provokingly twisting plot.  The whole Stark family near-misses thing has gone on for too long; it'd be cheesy whether they meet or not.  The reunion fits the show arc if they want to bring any kind of conclusion or finality with the remaining 2.5 seasons.  And it's the reunion of the most distant Stark child to Jon-the-bastard.  Both had been through a lot to see their own childish arrogance.

Shipping Brienne x Tormund.  'Nuff said.

I totally forgot about Brienne witnessing Renly's death until the three-way meeting between Davos, Mel and Brienne.  So Mel killed Renly and Davos aided her.  Mel killed Shereen and Davos was about to find out.  Brienne killed Stannis.... things sure get awkward when they're all kind of about to get on the same side.

How the hell did LF get the news Sansa escaped on his way back to the Vale?  (Is that the Vale?)  What does he have to gain to get the Vale's army north to fight the Boltons?  Oh and hi, Sweet Robyn, glad you finally showed up!

Why doesn't Varys say *anything*, not even when there were only the four of them?

I can't believe the queen of roses is so easily provoked by Cersei, even if her family's heirs are in danger.  Cersei's proposal smelled fishy even as far away as Winterfell.  

The Lannister family feud between Kevan and Cersei has not been given enough screen time in the show for development.  Unsullied husband barely knows who is Kevan and does not understand why Cersei and Kevan are at odds this season.

I don't get what the HS is getting at.  His monologues are boring and highly seducing for a person with his supposed persona.  Either it shows he's a highly political savvy person just using religion to his advantage to gain power, or... I don't know what.

The Margery scenes feels like the final nail to my theory women are more resilient than men in the show universe.  "The men just fight and kill and fuck and get killed," Unsullied husband agreed.

16 hours ago, marsyao said:

blah blah, one hint a weak Lord can not talk to his most powerful bannerman that way, Lord Royce does not need to Sweat Robin's approval to do anything, I guess you would not understand this, right? because you, like D&D, has no clue about how Fedual system works

You are wrong. They have it right here. 

51 minutes ago, conceptualinertia said:

I agree. My understanding in reading the books was that only certain rare Targs are fireproof, just like only rare Starks are wargs.  There is a strain of these incredible abilities in each of these families but it is far from universal.  Those Targs that are genuinely fireproof really do have 
"the blood of the dragon."  In the books Dany may not know that she is always fireproof, not understanding how the power works.

Well, we know that even when the Targs had dragons they were not fireproof, as is evidenced during the Dance of the Dragons when multiple dragonrider Targs are burnt to death, in the books Dany herself is burnt by Drogon. 

12 minutes ago, FastestTurtle said:

I don't get what the HS is getting at.  His monologues are boring and highly seducing for a person with his supposed persona.  Either it shows he's a highly political savvy person just using religion to his advantage to gain power, or... I don't know what.

I've always assumed he's "not-Savonarola." Machiavelli's description seems relevant: "If Moses, Cyrus, Theseus, and Romulus had been unarmed they could not have enforced their constitutions for long — as happened in our time to Fra Girolamo Savonarola, who was ruined with his new order of things immediately the multitude believed in him no longer, and he had no means of keeping steadfast those who believed or of making the unbelievers to believe."

He was ultimately hanged, burned and his ashes scattered. The High Sparrow will not die of old age.

2 hours ago, Blade of Sunlight said:

KL, start was a bit dull, more preaching from the HS, but the final scenes were interesting

Seriously, who in seven hells gives a crap about the High Sparrow's f'ing shoes?

1 hour ago, Philpenn said:

Really don't get the confusion over show Dany being fireproof.

Even with book Dany, I'm not convinced the George was 100% when he made that comment.

Agreed. I think all along GRRM has been trying to mislead on purpose by saying Dany's GOT fire-proof thing was a one-shot deal.

15 hours ago, Pies are coming said:

Gets incredibly excited about a GOT episode with a Stark meeting and Danerys burning all the Khals and claiming the entire Dokrathi nation for herself.

Looks for a fan site filled with fans to share the joy

Enters Westeros.org by mistake

Sorry guys, I'll let you moan and whine about how aweful this awesome episode was. Just in case, does any of you know any ASOIAF/GOT fan site?

It's sad isn't it. What's really sad is that the people who run this site are probably the biggest asoiaf fans there are. This should be THE place to come discuss all aspects. Unfortunately they allow all of the trolling, hating, D&D bashing to go on unchecked here, ultimately ruining these forums. 

25 minutes ago, Blade of Sunlight said:

Well, we know that even when the Targs had dragons they were not fireproof, as is evidenced during the Dance of the Dragons when multiple dragonrider Targs are burnt to death, in the books Dany herself is burnt by Drogon. 

I didn't say that every Targ riding a dragon was fireproof only that some were.  When Dany is burnt by Drogon she is barely burnt, while everyone else melts from Dragonfire.  It seems that Dragonfire is more powerful than regular fire (can melt stone!) and still Dany is only mildly burnt from it.  So she is extremely heat resistant such that regular fire does nothing to her and dragonfire just causes sores.

3 hours ago, God-Emperor of Yi Ti said:

it is indeed tiresome. This is the first time this year i've got around to logging in  (also to comment on an excellent episode) because a cursory glance indicated that while overall numbers are down ( compare the # of posts to last year) the number of people who haven't a good word to say about the series has stayed the same. 

You have to understand that the majority of population here are (not very good) amateur literary analysts. This is why so many of the "theories" are simply allegorical. They believe that the source material cannot be improved upon, so they see any deviation by the show as a "flaw". Yes, it's tiresome and annoying and condescending, but you really cannot reach them. Try the deadspin sub-blog "The Concourse" or Watchers on the Wall. They're not nearly as self-important. 

1 hour ago, conceptualinertia said:

There is an underlying mystery, in the show and the books, as to why all these magical things are happening now.  Why have dragons come back?  Why did the Stark children receive Dire Wolves and, more importantly, why do perhaps all of them have warg powers?  As you said "only rare Starks are wargs" so far as we know, but at least Bran, Jon, and Arya can do it.  Why are the Others back after apparently thousands of years?

The bottom line is that magic seems to be coming back, or increasing, in a general way, for reasons not yet explained.  Given all that, I don't see why Dany's powers are surprising.

1 hour ago, conceptualinertia said:

Everyone talks as if Dany was certainly not fireproof in the books... But that time when Drogo set fire to the pit and a lot of people died, only Dany's hair was burnt-- at least thats the way I got it. Am I missing something?

27 minutes ago, conceptualinertia said:

I didn't say that every Targ riding a dragon was fireproof only that some were.  When Dany is burnt by Drogon she is barely burnt, while everyone else melts from Dragonfire.  It seems that Dragonfire is more powerful than regular fire (can melt stone!) and still Dany is only mildly burnt from it.  So she is extremely heat resistant such that regular fire does nothing to her and dragonfire just causes sores.

I can accept that she is fireproof in the show, but that clearly isin't the case in the books.

We know dragon fire gets hotter the larger a dragon is, these ara not big enough to even come close to melt stone. Take Quentin, he is burnt directly by dragonfire, he dies, but only after four days and didn't melt at all.

In Daznak's Pit Dany isn't badly burnt, mostly because she never gets hit by Drogon's flame, she rolls under it, and just the proximity to the flame is enough to burn away her hair and giver 2nd degree burns in her hands, all of this just by being close to the flames, not in it's path. Based on that, if the same thing happened to book Dany she would have died with the Khals, unless she is magically saved as she was in the pire.

49 minutes ago, johndance said:

It's sad isn't it. What's really sad is that the people who run this site are probably the biggest asoiaf fans there are. This should be THE place to come discuss all aspects. Unfortunately they allow all of the trolling, hating, D&D bashing to go on unchecked here, ultimately ruining these forums. 

I've been following the site and elios and lindas work for a long time and this is the first time I've logged in the forum. I gotta say... im little bit disappointed. I wasn't expecting so much misoginy, trolling and stupidity. 

Its ok to say you are unhappy with some aspects of the show (I can't stand any more high sparrow speeches), but criticizing everything is or saying everything d&d do is shitty is a childish need to feel important. Its hard too believe this kind of thing is coming frm anyone over 14 years old.

I agree that overall the show used yo be better, you can say the same about the books, but neds death and the red wedding are events that are very hard to overcome...

Dany's last trick may not be the red wedding, but it was amazing and totally unexpected. Shes not such a great ruler, but I'm a fool for this badass moments. 

I feel like things that we have been expecting for a long time are finally happening and we are still being surprised. Couldn't be happier with the way the show is going.