King’s Landing – Marg is taken to the High Sparrow. Loved it how she was blinded by the light. A well-known torture technique.

Marg holds her own agaist the HS. Quotes the Book of the Stranger, verse 25. HS tells her his backstory, and you can see cogs turning in her head.

Marg and Loras. He’s given up, Marg tries to rally him, she hasn’t given up. She’s shocked at the state and unfight in Loras. She’ll never give up. She’ll do whatever it takes, she rejects the religion his brother might be embracing.

As a cinematographic thing. The camera zooms in closer and closer to the HS. He never looks at Marg, looks to the side, to the past… until he nails his eyes on Marg! So scary and effective!

Cersei interrupts Pycelle counselling the king. I lol’d when Pycelle slowly shuffeled himself out, chain clinking and taking his sweet old man time. Just to annoy Cersei. haha! Small victories.

We get yet another masterclass of motherly manipulation. Poor Tommen tries to do his own thing but Cersei grabs his chin. “Look at me. What did they do to me, the King’s own mother!”
Poor Tommen articulates something he’s known for some time. “You don’t like Margaery, do you?” Cersei brushes it off, pretends it doesn’t matter… AND turns away from Tommen, walks away from him. Nice mum.

Gods, I loved that scene! Cersei is so gooood at manipulating poor Tommen. She only faltered for a heartbeat when she heard Tommen had been seeing the High Sparrow, a surprise to her. She showed a bit of her anger there, but almost immediately got it under control and made it work for her.

“I am your mother, you can always trust me.” And she places her hand on his chest, in a semi-aggressive gesture.

We viewers get the idea Tommen’s going to spill the beans about the High Sparrow and his plans because he draws breath to talk… before we’re cut away.

I loved, loved, loved how the Small Council chamber was shot from above in the beginning and then at a key moment. (Loved the way Olenna’s skirt spilled. An aesthetically pleasing picture.)

Now, as a book-reader, I’m a bit amazed that Cersei can be so astute and intelligent, and put personal grudges and grievances aside. It’s the right thing to do, and she convinces Kevan (the Lancel thing) and Olenna. And Jaime is her lapdog.

Show!Jaime’s and Show!Cersei’s plan is, of course, a good, smart one. Let’s stop bickering amongst ourselves, let’s take down the High Sparrow first. It is still personal to Cersei, but she can couch it as a wider cause.

We saw Lena Heady’s Cersei at her manipulative best. Gods she’s good!

Oh, and Jaime? Grow a pair! Leave Cersei, otherwise Tormund’s gonna take your girl! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up!

Edited by talvikorppi
formating; paragraph breaks

The Iron Islands – everybody, of course, draws the parallel of Theon arriving at Pyke in season 2 (all lordy-lordy arrogance) and this Reek/Theon one. It’s heartbreaking.

And Yara sitting on the chair in front of the Kraken fireplace, just like Balon. Ominous.

I can understand Yara’s anger and suspicion, but man, did I get the feels when Theon stammered out ” You should rule the Iron Islands. I’ll help you.”

Now, where’s Euron? Yara and Theon don’t stand a chance against him.

Winterfell – well, it begins and ends with Ramsay flaying an apple. Not a very subtle cinematic cue, but I liked it nevertheless.

Osha was so great, for a while I thought she might pull it off. She was using the same tactics she used before, on Theon… But, alas, Ramsay is a psychopath, unlike Theon. But the music and the camera… the suspense… will she get the knife…

Of course not, we knew she was a goner. RIP Osha, and Natalie Tena. I’m just glad that her exit scene was such a good, tense one.

Castle Black – some levity with that awkward meal scene. Not quite the last supper, despite the beautiful light falling on them. Edd, Jon, Tormund on one side, Sansa, Brienne and Pod on the other.

Ooooh, I loved it how slightly snobby southron lady Brienne was appalled by the table manners of Edd, Jon and especially Tormund. And then Tormund’s look… Tormund likes the look of the wench. Tall, strong, fighter. A woman after Tormund’s heart. Sorry, Tormund, she loves another.

The levity stops when the Pink Letter arrives. Rickon is a shock but big bro Jon only stops reading when… Sansa grabs the letter. Your sister will be raped by my men etc. etc.

Jon’s tired of fighting. Sansa eggs him on. Little brother, home, your father was the last true Warden of the North, Lord of Winterfell.

And then he nods.

I really loved this scene. It starts with some comedy but then gets serious and dark. Loved the music slowly building up and then taking over.

And I squeed! Jon and Sansa, the North, the Starks, squeeeee!

Vaes Dothrak – it’s now Khalar Vezhven, the meeting of the Khals. Khal Moro is obviously a fairly reasonable guy, except when it comes to traditions.

– blink and you’ll miss it, but Dany gave a good look at those nice braziers when she was led to the khals.
– the khals bow to the Dosh Khaleens who bring Dany. I think that was a nice touch, showed how the khals respect the Dosh Khaleen.

Then it all kicks off. Gods, I loved it when Dany called all the khals “small men” Ouch!
It’s nice that the temple was so flammable.

The Unburnt walks out, and all bow to her. Job done.

Now, Jorah and Daario. Jorah just saw confirmation of his faith. But Daario? I saw “oh shit” “WTF” “oh, I’d better bow” in his eyes. He’ll betray Dany.

What I really liked about the scene, it wasn’t Drogon come to save mummy again. Dany did it on her own. The Unburnt doesn’t need dragons. (And cue internet wars about whether show!/book! Dany is immune to fire… Yawn.)

One thing that this episode left me wondering…

Dany’s solution to her khal problem. Burn them all.

Her daddy, the Mad King, used that phrase, “Burn them all!”, before Jaime Lannister made sure he couldn’t. The reviled man.

We like Dany and cheer her and let her do atrocious things because we like her, but, really… Dany in Westeros? “Burn them all!”?

10 minutes ago, talvikorppi said:

Castle Black – some levity with that awkward meal scene. Not quite the last supper, despite the beautiful light falling on them. Edd, Jon, Tormund on one side, Sansa, Brienne and Pod on the other.

Yeah, I liked that bit too.  Question about that (and apologies if it's been asked and answered already somewhere - wading through this forum and it's seemingly infinite amount of information is as daunting as reading all of Martin's books - which of course I am also attempting) - why did Edd offer an apology about the food?  Did HE have to cook it?  Was their regular cook one of the men that Jon hung?  Or am I projecting too much into that one scene.

8 minutes ago, Stark Loyal said:

Yeah, I liked that bit too.  Question about that (and apologies if it's been asked and answered already somewhere - wading through this forum and it's seemingly infinite amount of information is as daunting as reading all of Martin's books - which of course I am also attempting) - why did Edd offer an apology about the food?  Did HE have to cook it?  Was their regular cook one of the men that Jon hung?  Or am I projecting too much into that one scene.

Poor Dolorous Edd thinks he might be the Lord Commander now, so in charge of everything that goes on in the Night's Watch. Even the food. Not that he'd cook it but he's the cooks' boss. And trying to be a gracious host to a highborn lady or two (Sansa and Brienne). Out of his depth, but top marks for trying. We all love Dolorous Edd, don't we?

Oh, and the TV show version of CB cook, "Three-finger Hob" maybe died in the battle for the Wall. He was the one who killed some wildlings with a meat cleaver in the mess hall.

Edited by talvikorppi
Added Three-fingered Hob stuff.

54 minutes ago, talvikorppi said:

Poor Dolorous Edd thinks he might be the Lord Commander now, so in charge of everything that goes on in the Night's Watch. Even the food. Not that he'd cook it but he's the cooks' boss. And trying to be a gracious host to a highborn lady or two (Sansa and Brienne). Out of his depth, but top marks for trying. We all love Dolorous Edd, don't we?

Oh, and the TV show version of CB cook, "Three-finger Hob" maybe died in the battle for the Wall. He was the one who killed some wildlings with a meat cleaver in the mess hall.

Cool.  Thanks for all that info (or conjecture).  Yeah, I just got finished reading a chapter with Three finger Hob in it, so it was fresh in my mind.

Hey - Dolorous Edd IS the "interim" Lord Commander now!  Jon put him in charge.  He gave him the woolly cape! ;-)

2 minutes ago, Stark Loyal said:

Cool.  Thanks for all that info (or conjecture).  Yeah, I just got finished reading a chapter with Three finger Hob in it, so it was fresh in my mind.

Hey - Dolorous Edd IS the "interim" Lord Commander now!  Jon put him in charge.  He gave him the woolly cape! ;-)

If you've read the books, there's a "foreshadowing" of Edd becoming the Lord Commander. Pyp (or someone) names him in the votes that Jon eventually wins, and Edd dolorously says yeah, right, I'll be harboured with it.

We all love Edd, and how dolorious his life is. About to get even more dolorious. Poor guy. :-)

On 5/16/2016 at 2:19 AM, Tooms said:

Tyrion proving he's the man

I have been wondering about Tyrion and this deal of his...  Firstly, he has now antagonised Greyworm and Misandei and my money is on him being in the dog house when Dany gets back and finds he has promised 7 years to the masters before they do away with slavery lol  I mean, I trust that he probably has a plan B and he was just trying to give himself and Meereen a little time to figure out the next move hopefully in peace.  But this gets me to:  what did he need to do that unless he wanted to have all the masters under one roof to play some trick on them? (which crossed my mind), but now the dragons are out and they weren't mentioned in this episode (or maybe I am missing something) would the dragons alone not pose a good enough threat?  if this is the case I feel that negotiating and conceding ground would be unnecessary but then again I trust that the show is not going to give us a Tyrion who has somehow stopped being the political capable manipulator we have known him to be so far...   Anyhow, food for thought I guess.

Edited by Morgana Lannister
spelling error

3 minutes ago, talvikorppi said:

If you've read the books, there's a "foreshadowing" of Edd becoming the Lord Commander. Pyp (or someone) names him in the votes that Jon eventually wins, and Edd dolorously says yeah, right, I'll be harboured with it.

We all love Edd, and how dolorious his life is. About to get even more dolorious. Poor guy. :-)

I'm wading through the books and am halfway through 6 ("A Dance With Dragons"), but I don't recall that bit.  I'm also far along enough to not be concerned with spoilers.  It's all in the writing, anyway.  Martin's depictions are so nuanced and detailed - that you can't ever truly be "spoiled" - simply by getting a bit of advance info.  At least that's how I feel about it anyway.  I can also understand book purists constant disappointment (disapproval, disgust?) with the D&D depictions on HBO.  But - with the understandable limitations taken into consideration - they are doing a decent job.  At least an entertaining job.  Its what got me into the series, so I have them (and HBO) at the very least to thank for that.

As for our "mournful" Edd - I don't doubt bad things may happen to him.  A long time ago - a fully read bookreading friend of mine answered one of my simple musings about the show by saying "don't worry - George kills them all" - which made me laugh.

Maybe he does.

Maybe the Walkers DO eventually win.

On 5/16/2016 at 3:01 AM, Lady Sansa's Direwolf said:

No, Targaryens are known for being fire proof.

I have been wondering about this too because I thought, a bit like with Tyrion negotiating..., if she knew she had this ability why didn't see just kick ass with the masters and quiet them down like forever instead of struggling, marrying in the hope of a truce etc...  My guess is that she herself must have thought this fire-proof business was a one in a lifetime event for her and only desperation compelled her to try it this time.  Now she knows though and there should be no stopping her in Essos or Westeros with a power like that but then that sounds like too quick a way of killing the story line (which okay has been lingering in Meereen wasting talented main character's time) but there has to be a lot of conflict still so no idea how this will pan out in terms of how often (always???) can she hope to escape from a fire unburnt

47 minutes ago, Morgana Lannister said:

Yes, I loved their dialogue too and wow, now the cat is out of the bag re Jorah's greyscale!

I love how Daario is needling Jorah about how he wouldn't be able to keep up with Dany - even if he ever got the chance.  Daario acts like he's not as much in love with her as Jorah - but I'm not so sure about that.  Anyway, it was cool how Jorah didn't get flustered by that obvious taunt - and threw it right back at Daario about how he'll eventually disappoint her anyway - in spite of any immediate, youthful physical attraction.  But - Jorah was getting his arse kicked by that Dothraki (Aggo?) - and it took Daario to save him or he'd be dead now too.

On 5/16/2016 at 5:09 AM, Lady Snowsand said:

Haven't had time to read all the posts.  Did anyone else notice similarities between Jon and Dany.  Tormund telling Jon that the Wildlings think he is a god and the Dothraki kneeling to Dany like she is a god?

Certainly :)

On 5/16/2016 at 5:33 AM, xi0 said:

Actually, Sam did it first. But yeah, I see your point. I just don't think someone who abhorred Melisandre and everything she stood for would be playing cheerleader for her in order to resurrect someone he barely knows. Like I said before, I think combining this with Melisandre becoming a potato is what created the issue for me.

The end justifies the means lol and Davos is bright enough to realise that they need Jon, even as a charismatic leader if nothing else, and well, there was the small issue (before his resurrection) of the likes of Thorne controlling the wall...  I hated the woman with a passion but I would have done exactly the same as Davos did :)

10 hours ago, talvikorppi said:

-snip-

Winterfell – well, it begins and ends with Ramsay flaying an apple. Not a very subtle cinematic cue, but I liked it nevertheless.

Osha was so great, for a while I thought she might pull it off. She was using the same tactics she used before, on Theon… But, alas, Ramsay is a psychopath, unlike Theon. But the music and the camera… the suspense… will she get the knife…

Of course not, we knew she was a goner. RIP Osha, and Natalie Tena. I’m just glad that her exit scene was such a good, tense one.

About Ramsay and flaying the apple. 

I sort of took it as foreshadowing that he will end up being a cannibal. Crazy, I know, but hear me out.

Osha walks in and he is flaying the apple. Taking the skin off in one long strip like that points to the fact that he won't be eating the skin. He puts it all aside and they have a quick discussion about his flaying hobbies, Osha asks if he eats them. Ramsay looks amused, but says no.

Everything happens, RIP Osha, and Ramsay starts flaying the apple again, only this time, he eats the skin.

It's not completely out of the realm of possibilities where Ramsay is concerned.

It could be foreshadowing, or I could be reading too much in to the fact that he just ate some apple skin. 

15 minutes ago, RadSam said:

About Ramsay and flaying the apple. 

I sort of took it as foreshadowing that he will end up being a cannibal. Crazy, I know, but hear me out.

Osha walks in and he is flaying the apple. Taking the skin off in one long strip like that points to the fact that he won't be eating the skin. He puts it all aside and they have a quick discussion about his flaying hobbies, Osha asks if he eats them. Ramsay looks amused, but says no.

Everything happens, RIP Osha, and Ramsay starts flaying the apple again, only this time, he eats the skin.

It's not completely out of the realm of possibilities where Ramsay is concerned.

It could be foreshadowing, or I could be reading too much in to the fact that he just ate some apple skin. 

Well, it would just be another way for the show to show us how bad Ramsey really is. Hell, maybe the Boltons have Thenn blood, who knows.