[Poll] How would you rate episode 604?

Ran

How would you rate episode 604?  

524 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

10 minutes ago, Rhollo said:

But this is not imdb, their scale doesn't apply here.

This is a discussion board specifically dedicated to the Song of Ice and Fire. If there is any forum where it is completely valid to be a hypercritical "butthurt book purist" it's right here.

If people want to rate the show not in comparison to other TV shows, but solely based on how well it did adaping the books, that is their right. And the opinion that it did so very poorly, a valid one.

If that is the case, maybe this thread should be called how would you rate the book to show adaptation of this episode, so new or just visiting people don't misunderstand what you are rating here. The name of this thread would imply that we are rating the episode overall, not only from a specific point of view.

8 minutes ago, Xcorpyo001 said:

If that is the case, maybe this thread should be called how would you rate the book to show adaptation of this episode, so new or just visiting people don't misunderstand what you are rating here. The name of this thread would imply that we are rating the episode overall, not only from a specific point of view.

I think it should be changed to "rate the episode from 1-10, as long as you don't rate it under 5."

Edited by Darkstream

3 minutes ago, Darkstream said:

I think it should be changed to "rate the episode from 1to10,as long as you don't rate it under 5."

That was the way I was doing it anyway. There was a time when the lower limit was a 7, but alas, things change.

Just now, Xcorpyo001 said:

No it shouldn't. I am not saying the adaption approch is the only correct one. Everyone should be allowed to rate the episode on whatever standards, scale or point of view they want.

Of course, that makes comparing the ratings difficult and, as we can see, leads to people calling others trolls or fanboys because they project thier own thought process on other's ratings.

12 minutes ago, Xcorpyo001 said:

That was the way I was doing it anyway. There was a time when the lower limit was a 7, but alas, things change.

See, I personally think that's a silly way to approach it, but I also respect your right to take that approach if it's what works for you. It's your choice, and I have no problem with it, as long as you don't try to bully me to do the same, as a lot of others in here do. 

11 hours ago, Vastet said:

And a lot more. It's an insult to everyone who works on the show and everyone who enjoys it.

Well, I feel like what D&D has done to this story is a grievous insult to all true ASOIAF fans and GRRM. This is especially true when you consider that GRRM turned down several offers to adapt the books and only sold the rights to D&D because they informed deceived him, by claiming that they wanted to make an adaption that stayed true to the books. There is a reason that GRRM has distanced himself from the show. 

Edited by Darkstream

18 minutes ago, King Onion Knight said:

^Yeah, its called finishing the book.

Yeah, well check out his "not a blog", the only thing he has gone silent on is the show. 

ETA: And I'm sure it's just a coincedence that he keeps releasing chapters that completely conflict with everything in the show. 

Edited by Darkstream

1 hour ago, King Onion Knight said:

I find that the people who regularly rate episodes a 1 are the same people who post in the Rant and Rave thread (which is there right, no issue with that) but if they want to continue to threaten about not watching and continue to tune in every week, if you wanna look like a fool, be my guest.

I don't know why people are ranting on every episode? it will not change anything, all episodes are already made, will D&D remake them just because some people on some forums are mad?

Edited by TheLastLibrarian

""Well, I feel like what D&D has done to this story is a grievous insult to all true ASOIAF fans and GRRM. This is especially true when you consider that GRRM turned down several offers to adapt the books and only sold the rights to D&D because they informed deceived him, by claiming that they wanted to make an adaption that stayed true to the books. There is a reason that GRRM has distanced himself from the show. "

You have no evidence to back up this claim. It makes perfect sense he'd distance himself from the show now that it has almost completely passed the books.

As a fan of ASOIF, I don't find the show at all insulting. No visual media can completely do justice to a novel. Expecting it to can only result in disappointment.

23 minutes ago, Vastet said:

""Well, I feel like what D&D has done to this story is a grievous insult to all true ASOIAF fans and GRRM. This is especially true when you consider that GRRM turned down several offers to adapt the books and only sold the rights to D&D because they informed deceived him, by claiming that they wanted to make an adaption that stayed true to the books. There is a reason that GRRM has distanced himself from the show. "

You have no evidence to back up this claim. It makes perfect sense he'd distance himself from the show now that it has almost completely passed the books.

As a fan of ASOIF, I don't find the show at all insulting. No visual media can completely do justice to a novel. Expecting it to can only result in disappointment.

Well they did a great job in season 1.

And your welcome to that opinion, mine differs, if you can live with that. 

Edited by Darkstream

It is amazing to me that people actually engage in a 'why did you vote an # rating' for a particular episode argument. Look at the survey poll.  Right now, there appears to be about 466 total voters and a majority of 280 gave the episode a rating of 8, 9, or 10.  That is roughly 60% who liked the most recent ep.  If you liked the ep too, why on earth do you care about those who gave it a 1, 2, or 3?  That group numbers 55 voters, or about 12 per cent.  So if you did not like the ep, you have company, you are not alone.  You are in the minority but you are not alone.  If 1 is on the scale, then it cannot be argued that 1 is not a valid rating. Same with 10.

This is an opinion rating and the only thing we can conclude is that, on this site, after this episode, with this poll, 280 votes out of 466 total voters gave this episode a rating of 8, 9, or 10.  It is a useless exercise to argue with fellow posters about their episode ratings.  So why do it?

On another note, many currently complain or praise this show as an adaptation.  If the original source material is no longer available, or the adaptation has passed the available original material, is it still an adaptation?  If the producers are just working off the proposed outline by the source creator, but not yet a created source in tangible form, is this still an adaptation?

Edited by lakin1013

25 minutes ago, lakin1013 said:

It is amazing to me that people actually engage in a '

why did you vote an # rating' for a particular episode argument. Look at the survey poll.  Right now, there appears to be about 466 total voters and a majority of 280 gave the episode a rating of 8, 9, or 10.  That is roughly 60% who liked the most recent ep.  If you liked the ep too, why on earth do you care about those who gave it a 1, 2, or 3?  That group numbers 55 voters, or about 12 per cent.  So if you did not like the ep, you have company, you are not alone.  You are in the minority but you are not alone.  If 1 is on the scale, then it cannot be argued that 1 is not a valid rating. Same with 10.

This is an opinion rating and the only thing we can conclude is that, on this site, after this episode, with this poll, 280 votes out of 466 total voters gave this episode a rating of 8, 9, or 10.  It is a useless exercise to argue with fellow posters about their episode ratings.  So why do it?

Well said.

On another note, many currently complain or praise this show as an adaptation.  If the original source material is no longer available, or the adaptation has passed the available original material, is it still an adaptation?  If the producers are just working off the proposed outline by the source creator, but not yet a created source in tangible form, is this still an adaptation?

It may not be, but criticism of D&D's writing should be valid, and not dis-credited with, "you just hate the show because it's different than the books" then. 

Edited by Darkstream

26 minutes ago, Darkstream said:

It may not be, but criticism of D&D's writing should be valid, and not dis-credited with, "you just hate the show because it's different than the books" then. 

I agree completely.  I was referring to the folks who complain that the show is not faithful to the source, thus a 'bad' adaptation.  I think at this point we need another word for what we are complaining or praising because the very definition of adaptation means ...a movie, television drama, or stage play that has been adapted from a written work, typically a novel.

As I understand it now, the show producers are working off Martin's notes for how he sees the series, the uncompleted series, finishing.  If there is no tangible finished product, there is nothing to adapt from? adapt with?  We have to lay the blame right on the writers or producers.

10 minutes ago, lakin1013 said:

I agree completely.  I was referring to the folks who complain that the show is not faithful to the source, thus a 'bad' adaptation.  I think at this point we need another word for what we are complaining or praising because the very definition of adaptation means ...a movie, television drama, or stage play that has been adapted from a written work, typically a novel.

As I understand it now, the show producers are working off Martin's notes for how he sees the series, the uncompleted series, finishing.  If there is no tangible finished product, there is nothing to adapt from? adapt with?  We have to lay the blame right on the writers or producers.

Again, well said. :thumbsup:

I just now saw the "troll" thing , I want to explain myself , I didn't wanted to hurt someones feelings , I'm watching the show yes but not waiting forward to see a new episode (this happens for 2 seasons now) If I can't find it a whole I might watch just parts of it in you tube or nothing it's not like in 3 first seasons where I wouldn't miss a minute and sat religiously on tv or pc to watch it on time , In fact 2years ago when the 1st season came to Greece I started watching it without knowing anything about asoiaf and then got and read all the books , when? When they cut Ned's head . I didn't knew anything about Martin then and he was the first role the protagonist I never ever had seen in any film series the protagonist get killed in season 1 it was very different and realistic cause nothing magically happened to save the protagonist from doom (as happens in whole rest of tv even most of the horror movies except chainsaw massacre maybe)

It happened I have watched the last episode full , I don't watch all episodes I sometime watch fragments I sometime watch reviews sometimes nothing I don't even make a critique based solely to the adaption of books (I know this will be completely different from last season) so I was a bit surprised by the quality of the dialogues and especially the end which I say again reminds me Rambo movies so I gave it 3/10 why I son't stop watching it well I didn't watched episodes 1&2 cause I didn't like to what they did to Stannis character last season and wanted to if I watch it again to watch it without connecting it to the books but this is hard cause even if you accept the changes in story and characters the dialogues in the books are such a quality and the realism in the books such that anything fairytalish or of less quality is striking (at least to me) , I think even with the changes in story they could do it better they could write better dialogues and they could make the last scene more believable (it was also a bit stolen from Carrie movie but she was telekinetic Daenerys is not they had to make sense why the fire spread so quickly and how Dany knew this will happen for sure cause without the fire she was pretty doomed) so why I saw the episode cause sometimes I'm bored and want something to see , I'm not a troll and I know other people will enjoy it , but the fact it happened I watched it doesn't mean I watch it religiously or the fact I didn't liked it to mean I'm forbidden from watching any other I might do or not depending my schedule , I really want the show to not fall though to the standard TV style , I want more elaborate dialogues and I don't want secondary characters getting all the horrors of the world while the protagonists don't even need to think a plan out thoroughly to be saved and always get saved no matter what , I don't want to be left with the perfectly good people and the total sociopathic bad and have the great battle between them , even if it's a different story than the books I want it to keep up with the realism of the books cause that's why I liked the whole thing in the first place . I believe they have a perfect cast to do this and it's a pity to have such great actors and not try to write elaborate dialogues and a believable realistic plot . I have an opinion , others will have another opinion and good for them !!!!! but I'm not a troll , sorry for blabbering that much

I like some parts of this episode, but most of it was boring, and I really hate, that now Sansa is the smart girl, that goes with the ideas to him, and is moving Jon's head, they dont even have that relation, so now all what he does in the future will be because she told him to, cause she is the strong woman, the one that wants to go to war and make the things better for her house, and nooo thats is not her, everybody knows that Sansa is that kind of character that cannot do anything alone, even in the book is still trying to get a good husband the prince charming, and here in the series that is so bad written, they are trying to make of her a new leader, the warrior that wants justice and fight for getting vengeance. I just simply dont fall for that.