[Poll] How would you rate episode 604?

Ran

How would you rate episode 604?  

524 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I gave this episode a 9 and I gave last week's a 3.  I mention that because some people were complaining about low ratings given last week saying we wouldn't like anything.

The only part of this episode I didn't enjoy was the High Sparrow speech.  I loved most everything else.  Unlike last week, everything moved along and had a purpose.  Tyrion wasn't just staring at Grey Worm and Missandei and making a bad attempt at comedy.  He was doing things.  There was a conflict created.  He had meaningful stuff to say and argue about.  It'll be interesting to see how Dany reacts. 

Sansa/Jon reunion was wonderful to see.  That's more than GRRM ever gave us.  It's hard to not be in a good mood for the rest of the episode after seeing that.  It was so nice to see Sansa being strong and convincing Jon.   The dialogue was good, the acting was good, the chemistry was good.  I love that she said she had been thinking about him and that she apologized for the way she acted before.  It makes sense because we know they weren't the closest siblings.  I feel like we have a lot of Jon and Sansa scenes in the future to look forward to.  

Dany's scene at the end was silly and ridiculous as are all her big moments, but it was fun.  Game of Thrones is back to being fun again instead of just depressing all around.  It's been a long time.  This was less predictable than if Jorah and Daario rescued her or a dragon saved her again.  I thought they were going to drag that story out and have her leaving be a episode 8 moment.  Great that it wasn't the case.

It's good to see Littlefinger again and I like how he got Royce on his side.  I look forward to see what role he's going to play.  Can't wait to see what Sansa says to him.

Much better than any episode last year except for Hardhome.  

Edited by Lothar

1 hour ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

An Emmy record setting show?

You keep falling back on this as if it means anything. Quite a lot of films and tv shows have been nominated and won based on popularity and past reputation and have done this with weaker material.  Last season of Game of Thrones was weak, especially compared to what it won over last year.

The same exact thing happened in 1997 with Titanic winning a record tying amount of awards. Titanic was hugely popular and set box office records even though it was a lesser film than movies like Good Will Hunting and LA Confidential. It happens in the music world as well. Metallica's And Justice for All lost the 1988 Grammy for best hard rock / metal album to Jethro Tull. I have no issue with Jethro Tull, but that album was a weaker one than And Justice For All and also a weaker album in their discography.  
The 2007 Oscars Scorsese won best director because he never won one. Granted the guy is a great director and deserved it earlier for multiple films, so that comparison is a bit off, but he won that year over more deserving directors. 

Also, awards do not always indicate how good a product is. Hollywood has shown this to be the case quite often. 
A show like The Wire, a show that many people consider to be one of, if not the greatest TV show of all time was only nominated for an Emmy twice, in writing. It never won either. A show like 24 was nominated for best series over the Wire. That to me says a lot about how little awards really mean most of the time and also evidence that show that quality is not always measured in awards and that lesser shows can be acknowledged by award ceremonies over much stronger ones.

Basically what I am getting at is, pointing to awards as an example of D&D knowing what they are doing and are competent in story telling is pretty flawed when very flawed shows and films have been acknowledged over superior products. 

These two writers have shown, that without with the source material from an author you constantly belittle in defense of the show, they would be lost. Even with the source material they have stumbled at times, but at least then they had a guideline to follow to keep it from being as inconsistent as it has been since last season. 

I don't hate the show, I actually have enjoyed it, at least up until last season where I saw it really falling in quality compared to what it once was. Even then I enjoyed some of last seasons episodes. But when it comes to writing, these two are definitely more about flash than substance.  

As for this episode, I enjoyed seeing Sansa and Jon meet. That was the highlight for me.  The dialogue was all over the place, at times it was good, and other times it was cringe worthy. Tyrion's scene was actually productive and not a waste of time and attempt to bring comedy to the show. Basically it wasn't just a filler piece of the episode this time.  The HS scenes have already worn out their place with me. Kings Landing is boring right now. More hitting us over the head with Ramsay being evil. I would have preferred him not being in the episode and just seeing Jon receive the letter. Some times less is more. Dany's big moment was cringe worthy, granted I am glad they didn't go the route of damsel in distress, but the lines and the delivery of them felt awkward to me.

Still, this episode was better than the past 3 and better than most of what was shown last season. 7/10

A generous 4. Awful ending aside, it was just... boring, more of the same conversations spoken with slightly different words. The excellent Pryce doing the same thing he's done every episode thus far, Tyrion taking half an hour to shrug his shoulders and say kinda sorta but not really, etc. We're halfway through the penultimate season (I think) and the amount of time they're devoting to repetition is just baffling to me. I appreciate build-up and foreshadowing, but why are we only getting this now? Why did it take so many lengthy speeches for Elliot Carver to give us his backstory, four episodes of pointless floundering for Cersei to put a plan into motion?

Maybe I'm being too harsh and it's just Dany getting to me. I can't stand Emilia's Dany, and an episode of her suspense-free posturing (come on, did you think for a second that that was going to end in anything but total, predictable victory for our "silver"-haired heroine?) was bound to disappoint. Daario and Jorah continue to be the least interesting "duo" the show's ever contrived (seriously, give this trope a rest D&D) and not even Conleth's spectacular Varys can save the funny dwarf man from succumbing to Essos' plague of frustrating irrelevancy. 

I did like Jon and Sansa's interactions. I thought it was nice how the two Stark kids who never even liked each other can reunite with such warmth after all they've been through. Quaint. The Pyke stuff was alright but I worry no one is going to care; Yara is thoroughly unlikeable, and most show-only viewers I know are already soured on "that evil cringey pirate dude" from the last episode.

I'm really surprised at how much people seemed to like this ep here. 

Here we go again. The good old excuses to try and act as if no opinion in this world matters.

The show doesn't just win Emmy's, it gets consistently high reviews from critics and fans. It's one of the most wanted shows; it's the most wanted in HBO. It is the most pirated show and tends to be talked about the most as well.

Whether you want to try and pick out a few bad apples like Transformers, remember, it was not successfully with critics or fans. I also would like to remind you that while Titanic was a decent and good movie, the critics and reviews were not the best. But then again, you are right, Lord of the Rings sucks TOO 

Yeah, overall it was a fine episode. Just uncompelling. It was nice to finally see momentum, but again, we keep hearing how D&D are speeding along the story, and yet we're still going through ADWD content and just started making progress in plotlines that we are now 4 episodes into.

Jon and Sansa was fine, just felt a little off to me. Like Jon just felt like he was in a weird situation leaving the wall, but still being there, and Sansa's character seemed off. And then the we didn't get to really feel anything with Jon and Sansa, nothing about Ned, Robb, Cat, and only a passing remark about Rickon. This is the stuff I'm interested in hearing these characters discuss, you know, the tragedies they can share. Not old Nan soup - we're not ready for old Nan soup. Like I feel like Sansa already knows Jon died, but we skipped over the reactions.

Dany's ending scene was visually entertaining, but it was ridiculous how it was set up, and honestly stretched way too far to recreate season 1. Didn't feel organic.

That's just me though, other people can enjoy it. I just see wasted potential.

4 hours ago, Lothar said:

The only part of this episode I didn't enjoy was the High Sparrow speech.  

I hear lots of complaints about this and yes it is getting a bit old.

Thematically though it works very well. In both Essos and Kings landing we have causes we can identify with as 21st century people. Anti-slavery and power to the people rather than elites. Real life is more messy and historically incremental change has worked better than revolution. As a "theme" for an entire season I give those scenes a pass, particularly as the guy is decent at giving speeches. 

The Good:

+ Castle Black

+ Sansa in a better place/mood

+ Jorah and FakeDaario

+ Brothaki

The Shite:

- Seeing Brienne's face in the first 3 minutes

- Brienne

- Brienne's undeserved screentime

- Ramsay produces a dagger from his arse yet again - predictable shank

- Littlefinger reminds everyone of his idiotic plan

- Scrub Robyn being all scrubby

- They made Loras and Royce little bitches in the show

- Dany's immunity to fire

- Cheesy Dany rubbish (everything from her killing the Brothaki to walking out with everyone kneeling)

The Meh:

+/- Tyrion scenes were okay, Scrub Worm and his gurl need to shut the Shujinko up

+/- King's landing, High Sparrow gets more annoying with each episode

Overall, a generous 6/10: Certified Wank

No 0  for rating this episode, it stunk. Who makes up a gibberish language to repeatedly swear throughout its use of subtitling? When gibberish was this show's episode duration, it prompts a 0 because it lacks intelligence.

Edited by House Toad

On 16/5/2016 at 4:18 AM, Faint said:

Many characters acting completely out of character from their book versions. 

May I suggest once again that it is because they aren't their book versions (and i suggest you stop watching this show if that upsets you)

11 minutes ago, GilletteMace said:

after 6 seasons there are still people who didnt get that the books and the shows are two different entities, its just sad. if each episode would be a 1 or a 2 for me, i would have simply stopped watching the show, long ago. pathetic.

That isn't the complete point, because of its member's investments committed. Some episode are better than others, so there is distinction to its merits, such as an ending to any beginnings, psychologically it has drawn attention and will continue to do so often immersing, unless it does something else drastically altering that pleasure, despite of it now becoming separate entities after any investment committed.

Although upon making a point of why this particular episode was awful. Are we not punished for breaching rules, found importantly throughout our own uses of speech? I agreeing swearing has its merits, contexts, and concepts. However to create a language specifically for the use of its inappropriation throughout this episode defeats the very concept of it. I cannot think of many subtitles in Dothraki which didn't contain a richer more appropriate tone.

2 minutes ago, House Toad said:

That isn't the complete point, because of its member's investments committed. Some episode are better than others, so there is distinction to its merits, such as an ending to any beginnings, psychologically it has drawn attention and will continue to do so often immersing, unless it does something else drastically altering that pleasure, despite of it now becoming separate entities after any investment committed.

Although upon making a point of why this particular episode was awful. Are we not punished for breaching rules, found importantly throughout our own uses of speech? I agreeing swearing has its merits, contexts, and concepts. However to create a language specifically for the use of its inappropriation throughout this episode defeats the very concept of it. I cannot think of many subtitles in Dothraki which didn't contain a richer more appropriate tone.

So you rated it 0 because... swearing?

:dunno:

16 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

So you rated it 0 because... swearing?

:dunno:

No it was also its formulation, formulation that changes every season into something else forgetting its openings. Example the Dothraki camp was shot where in this episode? Different to its opening defeating its purpose. The Dothraki rely on their horses, how much does a horse cost to feed, yet when I see desert and a rock, how would they survive when there its even a river for its markets. Yes I agree the crones lived on the mountainside, but the Khalasar was located where.

Importantly it is the very point of speech, that has prompted a 0. Ultimately I could break down the speech used in almost every scene shot, and also the formulation behind many of them, driving the rating I have given, but we both know that it would become pointless. Take or leave my remark if that shoe fits, but  I am not going to shout 10 out of 10 Dany for any other national B/C day...

Edited by House Toad

28 minutes ago, House Toad said:

No it was also its formulation, formulation that changes every season into something else forgetting its openings. Example the Dothraki camp was shot where in this episode? Different to its opening defeating its purpose. The Dothraki rely on their horses, how much does a horse cost to feed, yet when I see desert and a rock, how would they survive when there its even a river for its markets. Yes I agree the crones lived on the mountainside, but the Khalasar was located where.

Importantly it is the very point of speech, that has prompted a 0. Ultimately I could break down the speech used in almost every scene shot, and also the formulation behind many of them, driving the rating I have given, but we both know that it would become pointless. Take or leave my remark if that shoe fits, but  I am not going to shout 10 out of 10 Dany for any other national B/C day...

Seriously....are you even aware of the Dothraki Sea? 

Dothraki sea - A Wiki of Ice and Fire

awoiaf.westeros.org › index.php › Dothr...
Apr 19, 2015 - Over a hundred types of grass grow on the plains, often growing thick and taller than a man's head and ...

14 hours ago, Lord Spark of House Spark said:

The look on his face was great, I know it is kinda similar to the look I'd have on my face if Brienne rode through the gates in front of me.

That's pretty much how I flirt hahaha!   *heavy breath*   *intense stare*

I want to see Brienne's reaction when she figures out what the staring really meant. Because right now she thinks Tormund wants to kill her, lol. 

14 hours ago, Joan Jett said:

Technically it is still incest. They're cousins. It's just incest that is allowed.

No, technically it is not. Technically incest is forbidden coupling between couples too close for legal marriage in that culture.  It is not incest if it's your fifth (or first) cousin. It is incest if it is siblings.

Cousin marriage is extremely common, cousin couplings more so.

16 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

No, technically it is not. Technically incest is forbidden coupling between couples too close for legal marriage in that culture.  It is not incest if it's your fifth (or first) cousin. It is incest if it is siblings.

Cousin marriage is extremely common, cousin couplings more so.

Cousins are still related, so it's still incest. Acceptable incest. 

Edited by Joan Jett