Queen Unburnt Rises Again...Yes there shall be SPOILERS

"Well except the words of the creator of a product, when relating to the creation he is creating, should be taken as solid.  Until YOU can prove otherwise, see above how Dany gets burnt in ADWD then say you have any argument whatsoever."

I'm not attempting to prove anything. I'm questioning your belief that everything GRRM says is absolutely true and not subject to change. You're the one who's trying to prove something. You aren't doing very well.

"scrapes don't cause blisters"

You've clearly not experienced rug burn.

I'm not reaching in the least, you argue that GRRM made Dany fire proof, when the text clearly states SHE HAD BURNS.  You need to honeypot that the burns were from scratches.  How did the scratches, which she just received, cause blisters, which were then healing?  The scratches opened the blisters, clearly.  you are reaching.

1 minute ago, SerMixalot said:

You're reaching

How am I reaching? I'd probably say you are. Here's the full quote from the book:

It took Dany half the morning to climb down. By the time she reached the bottom she was winded. Her muscles ached, and she felt as if she had the beginnings of a fever. The rocks had scraped her hands raw. They are better than they were, though, she decided as she picked at a broken blister. Her skin was pink and tender, and a pale milky fluid was leaking from her cracked palms, but her burns were healing.

Her hands are mentioned as having been scraped raw from climbing rocks(friction burn) but that they were better than they were. And that she has at least one blister(caused by friction burn). Her skin is pink, tender, and leaking a milky fluid from the palms(all symptoms of the friction burns) that were healing.

Actually milky fluid is a symptom of 2nd degree burns, you know blisters.  the rocks scraped her they didn't cause the blister.  blisters don't form immediately from scratches. 

of course even friction burns would indicate a susceptibility to heat as friction causes heat

when drogo burns the horse dany gets off his back and eats the horse flesh with "bare, BURNED, hands"

GRRM seems consistent as opposed to reading something quite contrary in the actual text, so I think we should go with GRRM

28 minutes ago, SerMixalot said:

Actually milky fluid is a symptom of 2nd degree burns, you know blisters. 

And also of friction burns. 

the rocks scraped her they didn't cause the blister.  blisters don't form immediately from scratches. 

It took her half the morning to climb down.

of course even friction burns would indicate a susceptibility to heat as friction causes heat

It's possible that friction burns are considered different from fire/extreme heat in the world of AsoIaF

14 minutes ago, SerMixalot said:

when drogo burns the horse dany gets off his back and eats the horse flesh with "bare, BURNED, hands"

When was this?

"I'm not reaching in the least, you argue that GRRM made Dany fire proof, when the text clearly states SHE HAD BURNS.  You need to honeypot that the burns were from scratches.  How did the scratches, which she just received, cause blisters, which were then healing?  The scratches opened the blisters, clearly.  you are reaching."

You're reaching so far you could almost grab the moon. Dany took dragon fire to the face and only lost her hair and clothes. Half her body would have 3rd degree burns in such a scenario.

Page 1021 ADWD

"The fire burned away my hair, but did not touch me." (referring to Drogo's pyre) "It had been the same in Daznak's Pit"

On page 1022 she talks about her hair growing back in, and trying to make a hat.

She took dragon fire to the face and only lost her hair and some clothing.

I really like how Dani has embraced her own magic. The Unburnt is one of the titles she gives herself - whether the author likes it or not - the character he has created believes all her titles and has acted accordingly. This time she has gone through the fire completely unscathed even her hair is untouched and there are no ashes. She has learned to walk through the fire and to use her Targaryan heritage. 

It is no more a leap of faith for a Jew/Christian to believe the story in the Biblical book of Daniel of the three young men tied up and thrown into a fiery furnace coming out with only their ropes burnt off. The same arguments of smoke inhalation could be used there as well. 

Sounds like Dany is going to go for more titles like Conqueror of Essos, Conqueror of Westeros,  Empress of the Known World... I see no problems for her going against Dorne or the Lannisters... none  until she comes up against the Starks if they use Bran's Greenseer magic... 

• 3 months later...
On ‎21‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 8:42 PM, Darksky said:

Daenerys being fireproof and Dothraki submitting to her after she kills those Khals is consistent with season 1, in which it was stressed out that to get a khalasar you have to kill its khal. Dothraki follow strength/power, not blood (they're like a pride of lions). What Daenerys did in the latest episode was a show of strength. The show has compressed her journey of self-discovery that the next book will have (if it ever gets to exist). She's no longer Mhysa, she has embraced her house's motto. 'Fire and Blood'. The show doesn't have hundreds of minutes to spend on the intricacies of Dothraki culture and politics as well as a multitude of secondary Dothraki characters. They focused on the main ones and the main issue at hand. 

Her fire immunity makes sense within the context of the show, due to what had been shown in season 1 but I wish it hand't been so. Just another brick added to her special snowflake wall.

Its not overtly stated but looking back at this for me there does seem to be suggestion that Daenerys doesn't just become the "Khal of Khals" but also represents a more unifying force between the political and religious sides of Dothraki society. The priestly class in Dothraki society afterall is the all female Dosh Khaleen but theres obviously the strong suggestion that its the political/miltary side of the society under the Khals that has most of the power.

I think the key reason why her immunity to fire was used again was to allow for the scene coming out of the burning temple. You look at the potential plots they could have used to put her in control and really I don't see this as the only "get out", they could easily for example have had Drogon turn up and Jorah/Daario play a more active role, Coming out of the burning temple though I think makes the focus more clearly on her and feeds into the above as were getting both a miraculous event and one that highlights Daenerys being female(and so religious) with the nude silhouette.

I think it feeds back well to season 1 to when Dany emerging naked from the prye played up her being the "mother" to the dragons and obviously inspired religious awe.

Archived