Second of Three Fires

Lost Melnibonean

On 5/17/2016 at 9:32 AM, LordToo-Fat-to-Sit-a-Horse said:

@Lost Melnibonean

i went down this way a couple of times.

HotU is so freakin frustrating and at the same time awesome chapter.

I too believe the treasons, mounts and fires are related to the nine visions, of daughter, slayer bride.. but i can´t figure it out.

Nothing indicates that these visions should be taken in order though, i mean, the mounts fires and treasons could be mixed in the brides, daughters and slayer...

Daughter of death:

Viserys: treason for a gold (crown)?

Rhaego: could be the treason for blood (MMD), or the fire for life (if indeed she sacrificed him for dragons as many speculate)

Rhaegar: treason for love? like Robert betrayed her family for the love of lyanna..

Slayer of lies

Stannis: fire for death?

(f)Aegon: treason for love? Illyrio being aegons father..  treason for blood for the same reasons?

Stone Beast: beats me.

Bride of fire

Silver: Mount to love.. or Fire for life, representing Drogos sacrifice and pyre.

Corpse: Victarion fire for death? (like i speculated before).. Jon Connigton also Fire for death seing as we will have a new DOD..

Jon: beats me.

It's very simple for me .

Daughter of death: 

Rhaego - was suppposed to be TSWMtW 

Rhaegar - was supposed to be TPTWP

viserys - who was supposed to be AAR ( stannis vision of king dying with crown of flames ) 

Dany ends up becoming all of them combined into one where those three failed she will be successful

Slayer of lies 

These are set of people that takes dany's identity and serve as red herring while hiding dany the true one  from world .

Stannis - fake chosen one .

YG- fake targaryen 

Stone beast - euron the fake storm and will fail with horn 

4 hours ago, Drogonthedread said:

1. Maybe you can't but there had been many who had seen and theorised for years about this ..

2. Take a look at GRRm's letter he clearly dany leads dothraki to westeros ..

In AGOt we have dosh khaleen looking scared at her and mistakes her son as TSWMTW . 

We have dany swearing vengeance against khal pono and his bloodriders..

We have HOTU where dosh khaleen bow to her ..

3. We have to go forward you must go backward. .

4. Even the show set it up this back in season 3 where jorah tells dothraki only follow strength and you need to wait until you become powerful

5. Why she came from the fire in the end of the first book and everyone bow down and considers her god for that ..why can't the same be happening now .

I'm numbering just to help keep myself organized :thumbsup:

1. I am quit sure there are others that have given Dany more thought than I have. That's the great thing for me when I join discussions of subjects I don't know as much about because I like to think it's a part of me educating myself. So I do take others thoughts seriously while I contemplate on it as well.

2. There is a lot, like a lot a lot, that is very different than George's first letter and we see that already, ex; Jaime is not currently sitting the Iron Throne. Writer's start with an idea in mind, and even map it out on paper, but when you start writing that story it takes on a life of it's own. That said, I take George's first letter, draft, outline (whatever it may be) with a serious pinch of salt.

3. I agree. Not having 95% of the ASOIAF prophecy in the show is kinda screwing things up. Well, more like not making it clear why characters are behaving certain ways or are making certain decisions. As book readers who watch, we do have that little bit of background info, but the average viewer does not.

4. Sigh. I miss Quaithe :(. Tv Jorah kinda became Quaithe 2.0. And then Drogon became a Quaithe 2.5 in S5 when he lands on her terrace at the top of the pyramid for a second before flying off into the night (Quaithe does this is the books and gives Dany a "be a dragon" pep talk). But is that power a personal, internal power = embrace your fire and blood, stop telling people you are just "a little girl"? Or is it the power of a huge Dothraki khalisar? To me, the more important power would be her personal development. She cannot take 100,000 Dothraki's to Westeros. It just won't work on so many levels. I am sure there are large handful of those closest to her (her bloodriders) would follow her. Dothraki's have made it to Westeros already. Wasn't it a Dothraki that chopped Jaime's hand off?

5. Her fire and blood in the first book is noooothing like this fire and blood in E4, inside or out. This is probably the tv version signal that she has some of her father seeping through. And that is fine, but they can't pull a 180 and also make her the sweet queen just because she is little ol'Dany if that is how they decide to make her. In a recent interview with Emilia in Entertainment Weekly she stated that "Dany forgot she was fireproof." I am paraphrasing slightly. It is this line from that article that makes me cringe, hard. "It’s a very simple solution, a plan where you can use three people to take out dozens in a very dramatic way by just lighting things on fire and standing there."

Her first fire and blood was a culmination of many things, and some accidental. That started out looking like a traditional Dothraki funeral pyre, but then Dany added her own ideas to it (in the book she did ask Mirri to teach her about her magic) and made it a blood sacrifice which helped hatch the dragons. In the books, like the show, Dany and her followers were lost, hungry, blistered and desperate. The perfect cocktail recipe for a biblical happening. A burning bush! However, in the books like in the show, half of her already tiny khalisar fled. They got right up and left her then and there, dragons and all. They wanted no part of her bloodmagic. Later on more of the now tinier khalisar leaves again. So one is to believe that this god/dess thing is fleeting and that the Dothraki culture is strong within them.

Now going to show only in the S4 Dany burn scene. Dany burned the main Khal's of a few hoards for reasons known to her and Jorah and Daario and super-trusty new girl with the broken ribs. Dany did this out of anger/hate/rage, which is a personal issue, not a survival issue. Very different from before. Not only that, but doing so while practicing bloodmagic which leaves many women as widows. She walks out unburnt and 99,980 unknowing Dothraki's just bow??? These Dothraki were in a sacred place with no war or battles, fed and healthy, raving in the streets... basically not desperate. I find it a huge stretch to think that so many would just bow and not think "satan!" (or their version of it). And on top of it, only a few (compared to the overall population) saw Dany walk out, so why the mass decision to just toss their own culture in that one moment of Dany anger burning?

24 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

1. I am quit sure there are others that have given Dany more thought than I have. That's the great thing for me when I join discussions of subjects I don't know as much about because I like to think it's a part of me educating myself. So I do take others thoughts seriously while I contemplate on it as well.

2. There is a lot, like a lot a lot, that is very different than George's first letter and we see that already, ex; Jaime is not currently sitting the Iron Throne. Writer's start with an idea in mind, and even map it out on paper, but when you start writing that story it takes on a life of it's own. That said, I take George's first letter, draft, outline (whatever it may be) with a serious pinch of salt.

3. I agree. Not having 95% of the ASOIAF prophecy in the show is kinda screwing things up. Well, more like not making it clear why characters are behaving certain ways or are making certain decisions. As book readers who watch, we do have that little bit of background info, but the average viewer does not.

4. Sigh. I miss Quaithe :(. Tv Jorah kinda became Quaithe 2.0. And then Drogon became a Quaithe 2.5 in S5 when he lands on her terrace at the top of the pyramid for a second before flying off into the night (Quaithe does this is the books and gives Dany a "be a dragon" pep talk). But is that power a personal, internal power = embrace your fire and blood, stop telling people you are just "a little girl"? Or is it the power of a huge Dothraki khalisar? To me, the more important power would be her personal development. She cannot take 100,000 Dothraki's to Westeros. It just won't work on so many levels. I am sure there are large handful of those closest to her (her bloodriders) would follow her. Dothraki's have made it to Westeros already. Wasn't it a Dothraki that chopped Jaime's hand off?

5. Her fire and blood in the first book is noooothing like this fire and blood in E4, inside or out. This is probably the tv version signal that she has some of her father seeping through. And that is fine, but they can't pull a 180 and also make her the sweet queen just because she is little ol'Dany if that is how they decide to make her. In a recent interview with Emilia in Entertainment Weekly she stated that "Dany forgot she was fireproof." I am paraphrasing slightly. It is this line from that article that makes me cringe, hard. "It’s a very simple solution, a plan where you can use three people to take out dozens in a very dramatic way by just lighting things on fire and standing there."

Her first fire and blood was a culmination of many things, and some accidental. That started out looking like a traditional Dothraki funeral pyre, but then Dany added her own ideas to it (in the book she did ask Mirri to teach her about her magic) and made it a blood sacrifice which helped hatch the dragons. In the books, like the show, Dany and her followers were lost, hungry, blistered and desperate. The perfect cocktail recipe for a biblical happening. A burning bush! However, in the books like in the show, half of her already tiny khalisar fled. They got right up and left her then and there, dragons and all. They wanted no part of her bloodmagic. Later on more of the now tinier khalisar leaves again. So one is to believe that this god/dess thing is fleeting and that the Dothraki culture is strong within them.

Now going to show only in the S4 Dany burn scene. Dany burned the main Khal's of a few hoards for reasons known to her and Jorah and Daario and super-trusty new girl with the broken ribs. Dany did this out of anger/hate/rage, which is a personal issue, not a survival issue. Very different from before. Not only that, but doing so while practicing bloodmagic. She walks out unburnt and 99,980 unknowing Dothraki's just bow??? These Dothraki were in a sacred place with no war or battles, fed and healthy, raving in the streets... basically not desperate. I find it a huge stretch to think that so many would just bow and not think "satan!" (or their version of it). And on top of it, only a few (compared to the overall population) saw Dany walk out, so why the mass decision to just toss their own culture in that one moment of Dany anger burning?

Some may think of her as Satan. But I'm telling you, duckie, if Chernabog rises up before me, I'm probably going to bow right after I soil myself. 

24 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Now going to show only in the S4 Dany burn scene. Dany burned the main Khal's of a few hoards for reasons known to her and Jorah and Daario and super-trusty new girl with the broken ribs. Dany did this out of anger/hate/rage, which is a personal issue, not a survival issue. Very different from before. Not only that, but doing so while practicing bloodmagic which leaves many women as widows. She walks out unburnt and 99,980 unknowing Dothraki's just bow??? These Dothraki were in a sacred place with no war or battles, fed and healthy, raving in the streets... basically not desperate. I find it a huge stretch to think that so many would just bow and not think "satan!" (or their version of it). And on top of it, only a few (compared to the overall population) saw Dany walk out, so why the mass decision to just toss their own culture in that one moment of Dany anger burning?

1.that's a good thing and thats why I love these places bcoz we get to know more 

2.no iam not taking it seriously but if you take that letter ..you will find dany and jon more or less similar in the books like in that letter ..nothing much changed for them .

But regarding jamie ..isn't it obvious that GRRm split up Jamie from letter into two and that bad side of Jamie became his twin cersei .

3 - showing Dosh khaleen bow down to her in HoTU will made it obvious in the show ...I guess those who complained  about and didnt understand the need of dothraki arc will now understand ..because dany gaining dothraki changes things now .

4 . no it was not dothraki that cut Jamie ..they are sells words that tywin brought for the war .

Dothraki never crossed the war ..which something they will do when their TSWmTW tells them to and lead them to end of the world .

I did miss quaithe too she would been nice way to show dany's emotions and compassion in the show and her self doubts ..

When quaithe tells remember who you are ..dany has forgotten who she is what she was meant to become...she made one compromise after another in ADWd while rejecting her family and being a dragon...but what she didn't understand was sometimes compromise doesn't work and she should have dealt with force ..

So in a way it's personal development but inorder to achieve what she has started she must go back and thus she goes to the dothraki ..

I disagree that taking 100000 won't work ...they can make it work in both books and show ...GRRm already compared her to nymeria ..another 1000ships may be on the way ..

5. I stoppee taking things in the show more literally ...all we have to take from the show is that dany will gain dothraki by killing all the khals ..

Its not anger burning ..its calculated move not only she wants to kill the khals but she plans to take the dothraki with her ..you can see in her last chapter that she decides she has to go back and follow the khalsar ..dany as made decision to take dothraki back ..even you can see Emilia saying that's what dany is planning all season and seeing jorah and darrio made her decide .

She is going to do similar thing in the books as well whether its by herself or by drogon she is going to kill the khals in vaes dothrak and dish khaleen bow to her below the mother of mountains..

The magic during hatching the dragons is done by dany and herself alone ..GRRm confirmed this .

In Tolkien, Aragorn's sword is magical because it just is; not because we regularly see it helping him win fights. In these books, magic is always dangerous and difficult, and has a price and risks.

The whole point of the scene in A Game of Thrones where Daenerys hatches the dragons is that she makes the magic up as she goes along; she is someone who really might do anything. I wanted magic to be something barely under control and half instinctive--not the John W. Campbell version with magic as the science and technology of other sorts of world, that works by simple and understandable rules.

So she may very well do the magic again .

And not to mention  this is only 2 and rebirth there is one more she has to go through .

I would say that Satan and call back to her father are things come from your personal taste and view about dany ...I don't think that's what the dothraki see or most of the people think  nor what D& D want you think .

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Some may think of her as Satan. But I'm telling you, duckie, if Chernabog rises up before me, I'm probably going to bow right after I soil myself. 

Hahahahahaaa! Dany as Chernabog, the god of the night. I guess that is why we need a Sword of the Morning? Why hasn't anyone done a Chernabog + Malefecint love story? I'd watch that any day. I loved Malefecint when I was a kid because she was one of the only, truly terrifying Disney villains. The idea of her scared the shit out of me and I loved it! (I was a weird kid)

1 hour ago, Drogonthedread said:

1.that's a good thing and thats why I love these places bcoz we get to know more 

2.no iam not taking it seriously but if you take that letter ..you will find dany and jon more or less similar in the books like in that letter ..nothing much changed for them .

But regarding jamie ..isn't it obvious that GRRm split up Jamie from letter into two and that bad side of Jamie became his twin cersei .

3 - showing Dosh khaleen bow down to her in HoTU will made it obvious in the show ...I guess those who complained  about and didnt understand the need of dothraki arc will now understand ..because dany gaining dothraki changes things now .

4 . no it was not dothraki that cut Jamie ..they are sells words that tywin brought for the war .

Dothraki never crossed the war ..which something they will do when their TSWmTW tells them to and lead them to end of the world .

I did miss quaithe too she would been nice way to show dany's emotions and compassion in the show and her self doubts ..

When quaithe tells remember who you are ..dany has forgotten who she is what she was meant to become...she made one compromise after another in ADWd while rejecting her family and being a dragon...but what she didn't understand was sometimes compromise doesn't work and she should have dealt with force ..

So in a way it's personal development but inorder to achieve what she has started she must go back and thus she goes to the dothraki ..

I disagree that taking 100000 won't work ...they can make it work in both books and show ...GRRm already compared her to nymeria ..another 1000ships may be on the way ..

5. I stoppee taking things in the show more literally ...all we have to take from the show is that dany will gain dothraki by killing all the khals ..

Its not anger burning ..its calculated move not only she wants to kill the khals but she plans to take the dothraki with her ..you can see in her last chapter that she decides she has to go back and follow the khalsar ..dany as made decision to take dothraki back ..even you can see Emilia saying that's what dany is planning all season and seeing jorah and darrio made her decide .

She is going to do similar thing in the books as well whether its by herself or by drogon she is going to kill the khals in vaes dothrak and dish khaleen bow to her below the mother of mountains..

The magic during hatching the dragons is done by dany and herself alone ..GRRm confirmed this .

In Tolkien, Aragorn's sword is magical because it just is; not because we regularly see it helping him win fights. In these books, magic is always dangerous and difficult, and has a price and risks.

The whole point of the scene in A Game of Thrones where Daenerys hatches the dragons is that she makes the magic up as she goes along; she is someone who really might do anything. I wanted magic to be something barely under control and half instinctive--not the John W. Campbell version with magic as the science and technology of other sorts of world, that works by simple and understandable rules.

So she may very well do the magic again .

And not to mention  this is only 2 and rebirth there is one more she has to go through .

I would say that Satan and call back to her father are things come from your personal taste and view about dany ...I don't think that's what the dothraki see or most of the people think  nor what D& D want you think .

1. I second (or third by now;)) this. And I thank you for your civil conversation on this. I know Sansa and Dany threads can have more vitriol than the Fire Swamps of Florin.

2. I totally agree that Cersei was added to Jaime as the "two sides of the same coin" theme. And also why the incest "works" in their case.

3 & 5. I just watched the Behind the Episode thing and I see where we are told what happened with more detail by the showrunners. Yup! The Dothraki instantly see her as a goddess. That is something I prefer to watch happen on screen instead. I rarely watch the "Behind" segments and don't really like the idea that I have to go outside of the show to understand in full what is going on in the show. I guess some fans don't mind, but I do. I attached it here in case you, or anyone reading this, has not seen it and wants to catch up.

I still find the tv explanation of the burning a little thin. Dear gawd I hope it doesn't happen this way in the books. I do assume the books will be different because Dany does have Drogon with her and she does fly towards the Dothraki and will visit the Dosh Khaleen (it's already established early in Dany's story), but the events and outcome will probably be very different.

I have no personal bias against Dany. She is middle, neutral ground on my list, kinda the same as Jon. Bloodraven and Val are my two book crushes and seated high above all others :wub: The "satan or their equivalent" comment was meant in general. The idea that the vast majority of a very superstitious culture will just flip to something that they are against seems odd, kinda forced. The idea that a flameproof, firestarting, usurper is seen as a good-goddess by killing the male leaders doesn't sit right with me. Maybe it's the story sped up because there probably less than 20 episodes of the entire series left?

George does say that Dany hatched the dragons herself. But in the books Dany also asks Mirri about her magic, thereby teaching herself, and it's this knowledge that leads her in to the actions that hatch the dragons.

4. It was a Dothraki that hacked off Jaime's hand, a small detail that is easy to forget as I did on my first read. I wonder if this will play in to any of Jaime's thoughts when Dany arrives with Dothraki by her side? The light was silver along the arakh. Hmmm... A Storm of Swords - Jaime III:

They mean to scare me. The fool hopped on Jaime's back, giggling, as the Dothraki swaggered toward him. The goat wants me to piss my breeches and beg his mercy, but he'll never have that pleasure. He was a Lannister of Casterly Rock, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard; no sellsword would make him scream.
Sunlight ran silver along the edge of the arakh as it came shivering down, almost too fast to see. And Jaime screamed.

36 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Hahahahahaaa! Dany as Chernabog, the god of the night. I guess that is why we need a Sword of the Morning? Why hasn't anyone done a Chernabog + Malefecint love story? I'd watch that any day. I loved Malefecint when I was a kid because she was one of the only, truly terrifying Disney villains. The idea of her scared the shit out of me and I loved it! (I was a weird kid)

Me too. Can you imagine Malificent calling forth Chernabog from Bald Mountain? 

7 hours ago, Drogonthedread said:

It's very simple for me .

Daughter of death: 

Rhaego - was suppposed to be TSWMtW 

Rhaegar - was supposed to be TPTWP

viserys - who was supposed to be AAR ( stannis vision of king dying with crown of flames ) 

Dany ends up becoming all of them combined into one where those three failed she will be successful

Slayer of lies 

These are set of people that takes dany's identity and serve as red herring while hiding dany the true one  from world .

Stannis - fake chosen one .

YG- fake targaryen 

Stone beast - euron the fake storm and will fail with horn 

i know that. Thats the conventional interpretation of the visions.

i was speculating with the posibility that the slayer, daughter, bride trios, were related to the mounts treasons fires trios.

As in each vision related to a fire, a mount or a treason.

• 1 year later...

All the khalasars will return to Vaes Dothrak...

“Only the crones of the dosh khaleen dwell permanently in the sacred city, them and their slaves and servants,” Ser Jorah replied, “yet Vaes Dothrak is large enough to house every man of every khalasar, should all the khals return to the Mother at once. The crones have prophesied that one day that will come to pass, and so Vaes Dothrak must be ready to embrace all its children.”

Daenerys IV, Game 36

Where they will become "one blood, one khalasar, one herd." (Daenerys IV, Game 36)

• 2 weeks later...

And Daenerys’s babe will be the stallion that mounts the world...

As the smoke ascended, the chanting died away and the ancient crone closed her single eye, the better to peer into the future. The silence that fell was complete. Dany could hear the distant call of night birds, the hiss and crackle of the torches, the gentle lapping of water from the lake. The Dothraki stared at her with eyes of night, waiting.

Khal Drogo laid his hand on Dany's arm. She could feel the tension in his fingers. Even a khal as mighty as Drogo could know fear when the dosh khaleen peered into smoke of the future. At her back, her handmaids fluttered anxiously.

Finally the crone opened her eye and lifted her arms. "I have seen his face, and heard the thunder of his hooves," she proclaimed in a thin, wavery voice.

"The thunder of his hooves!" the others chorused.

"As swift as the wind he rides, and behind him his khalasar covers the earth, men without number, with arakhs shining in their hands like blades of razor grass. Fierce as a storm this prince will be. His enemies will tremble before him, and their wives will weep tears of blood and rend their flesh in grief. The bells in his hair will sing his coming, and the milk men in the stone tents will fear his name." The old woman trembled and looked at Dany almost as if she were afraid. "The prince is riding, and he shall be the stallion who mounts the world."

"The stallion who mounts the world!" the onlookers cried in echo, until the night rang to the sound of their voices.

Daenerys V, Game 46 (emphasis in the original)

Of course, Rhaego would go on to die in the womb, another wee Targaryen dragonbaby, the child that Daenerys unwittingly sacrificed to Wake the Dragon. But Daenerys is the Mother of Dragons, and she refers to her dragonlets as her children. If Daenerys returns to Vaes Dothrak and unites the Dothraki, it will be with the aid of her child Drogon. And how will Drogon do that? Dragons are fire made flesh, and fire is power. 

• 2 weeks later...

Daenerys will return to Vaes Dothrak, "beneath the shadow of the Mother of the Mountains"...

"To go forward you must go back, and to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow."

Daenerys III, Clash 40 (emphasis added)

"Have patience, Princess. Do not make your brother's mistake. We will go home, I promise you."

Home? The word made her feel sad. Ser Jorah had his Bear Island, but what was home to her? A few tales, names recited as solemnly as the words of a prayer, the fading memory of a red door . . . was Vaes Dothrak to be her home forever? When she looked at the crones of the dosh khaleen, was she looking at her future?

... But with the khal off hunting, it was pleasant to lie back on soft cushions and be carried across Vaes Dothrak, ...

The day was warm and cloudless, the sky a deep blue. When the wind blew, she could smell the rich scents of grass and earth. As her litter passed beneath the stolen monuments, she went from sunlight to shadow and back again. Dany swayed along, studying the faces of dead heroes and forgotten kings. She wondered if the gods of burned cities could still answer prayers.

If I were not the blood of the dragon, she thought wistfully, this could be my home. She was khaleesi, she had a strong man and a swift horse, handmaids to serve her, warriors to keep her safe, an honored place in the dosh khaleen awaiting her when she grew old . . . and in her womb grew a son who would one day bestride the world. That should be enough for any woman . . . but not for the dragon. With Viserys gone, Daenerys was the last, the very last. She was the seed of kings and conquerors, and so too the child inside her. She must not forget.

Daenerys VI, Game 54 (emphasis added)

Archived