Narratively speaking, we are still in book 4/5

As hard as that is to believe, when you really think about it,we are still in Book4/5 territory for the most partand have not really entered TWOW storyline wise, think about.

Jon Snow/The Wall: Yes he's come back from the dead, but narrative wise, he's just starting Stannis' plot in ADWD, he and Davos and Sansa will visit the various Northern Lords, rally them, and march on WF.

Dany/Essos:  Same as Jon, Dany's own story might be beyond the end of ADWD, but they are retreading the Meeren storyline with Tyrion playing the role of Dany, we still are going to have some kind of confrontation with the slavers which has yet to happen, so we are still mostly in the period between the end of ADWD and the beginning of TWOW.

KL: Nothing has happened in KL plotwise at all this season, it's in a holding pattern since Cersei's walk, Kevan hasn't even died yet, so we aren't even at the end ADWD

Jaime.: he hasn't even gone to the RL yets, so for him he's still pre AFFC

Sam: has yet to arrive in Oldtown, so still in AFFC

Arya: still in ADWD with her training.

Bran: still training so still in ADWD, this might change next week.

Iron Islands: pre-kingsmoot, so still AFFC.

Sansa: she is the only one who's jumped forward. Mainly because D&D decided to skip the Vale, just like they decided to skip mosts of Dorne.

I would say other than Sansa, and small bits and pieces of Dany/Jon, most of the narrative so far is still taking place before the end the ADWD.

have to agree here, as much as I love the GoT HBO show I'm feeling a bit like D&d are stymied over what to do. they just haven't got George's skill when it comes to big reveals and twists. it feels a lot like they cut out stuff and are now circling back to include it since  they can't move forward without a little more information. Additionally, (giving the benefit of the doubt here) the timelines could be seen as a bit confusing to translate to TV from the books in terms of the ADWD and AFFC and the way it was broken up, (especially since they merged Sansa and Jeyne and cut Dorne) so it is possible that D&d decided to change the plot just a bit to make the story flow a bit better in terms of time frame. 

1 minute ago, Neffaria said:

have to agree here, as much as I love the GoT HBO show I'm feeling a bit like D&d are stymied over what to do. they just haven't got George's skill when it comes to big reveals and twists. it feels a lot like they cut out stuff and are now circling back to include it since  they can't move forward without a little more information. Additionally, (giving the benefit of the doubt here) the timelines could be seen as a bit confusing to translate to TV from the books in terms of the ADWD and AFFC and the way it was broken up, (especially since they merged Sansa and Jeyne and cut Dorne) so it is possible that D&d decided to change the plot just a bit to make the story flow a bit better in terms of time frame. 

While I wish they would have cut out more stuff I dont think this is circling around to get more book material. It seems like there are a number of key plot events that pretty much have to happen and they are finding a way of doing that in a different format 

Dany's plot is quite a bit more advanced. She has become Kahl(eesi) of Khals which if aDwD is any measure would take Martin 500 pages to get to. It looks like the Faith and the Tyrells will be coming to a head which is well beyond the books. Sam is behind the books as is the Ironborn which will have to be severely truncated (I think it likely Euron will send Asha and Theon to get Dany and that journey will be fairly uneventful). One of the annoying plot holes is "Ser Gregor" vice Robert Strong. The directors seem to have forgotten that they had Gregor's skull delivered to the Martells which is why Robert Strong was created in the books to hide the ruse. Skipping it is irritating and stupid. But this isn't a rant thread so I digress. I do believe the season ends with Jon and Sansa in Winterfell, Ramsy dead and the Boltons defeated, the Wall being destroyed, Cersei fleeing KL for Casterly Rock with Tommens death, and Dany landing in Dorne. Arya will probably be sent to kill Walder Frey (look at the reaction of the waif when Arya mentions Walder Frey on her list) which gets her back to Westeros. By Martins present measure that would be about 5000 pages of text.

Well, they were completely stupid to cram Feast and Dance into just one season when they previously had made ASOS into TWO seasons and should have been eager not to catch up with George. They could have made season 5 Feast and season 6 Dance, which would mean that they wouldn't have to change entire plotlines from the source material("Winds" will probably be released this year).

58 minutes ago, Adam Targaryen said:

Well, they were completely stupid to cram Feast and Dance into just one season when they previously had made ASOS into TWO seasons and should have been eager not to catch up with George. They could have made season 5 Feast and season 6 Dance, which would mean that they wouldn't have to change entire plotlines from the source material("Winds" will probably be released this year).

No

57 minutes ago, Adam Targaryen said:

They do not want to keep making this show until they grow old and die. They just can't hold off until GRRM is done with the books for many reasons: 1) the quality of the product, 2) aging actors, 3) actor contracts. There is a reason that few shows last more than 6-8 years.

As for "Winds" being released this year. Good luck with that. 

1 hour ago, Adam Targaryen said:

Hey, everyone's entitled to their opinion, but, holy hell, no.

Meh, all this means is that, like D&D said, there isn't much story left.

The ending of this saga was always destined to be destructive and abrupt - there is only so much drawing out you can do before it drags.

2 hours ago, Adam Targaryen said:

Season 5 Feast? For real? Go and tell 70% of the cast that they have to sit out an entire season. Tell HBO that they have to renegotiate dozens of contracts. Tell the viewers that not only will their favorite characters and storylines be omitted for a season just so we can have Brienne walking in circles, but also that the overall plot will become practically stagnant. Go and tell them that, I'll wait. 

I've said before and I'll say it again: Feast and Dance combined have barely enough material for one somewhat mediocre season, let alone two. 

The way I see it, the problem is that D&D should've adapted the Jaime/Brienne/Iron Islands storylines sooner, to get Feast/Dance out of the way and focus on the endgame. But I think they were a little too eager to get it over with, so they sent Jaime to Dorne and Brienne to the north, but now they're gonna have to circle back again to the Riverlands anyway. They should've bit the bullet of Feast/Dance instead of jumping the gun altogether. 

1 hour ago, Greg B said:

Hey, everyone's entitled to their opinion, but, holy hell, no.

I, for one, think it's a great idea. The show definitely won't get cancelled when viewers find out half the cast won't be appearing for a whole year. 10 episodes of Brienne wandering the river lands and Cersei being a jerk? Ratings will go through the roof.

I didn't mind most of Briennes travel stuff and would love a bunch of Cersie getting drunk, going a little mad and doing stuff episodes. That was the best part of Feast.

10 minutes ago, Ser Yorick Ampersand said:

Jaime has become an extra this season, or a parrot, he regurgitates everything Cersei says.

It's so pathetic.  I don't know why he is even on the show.  It's interesting how the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard doesn't wear a white cloak and doesn't care who is actually part of the Kingsguard.  He dresses like a wealthy merchant.

14 minutes ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

The way I see it, the problem is that D&D should've adapted the Jaime/Brienne/Iron Islands storylines sooner, to get Feast/Dance out of the way and focus on the endgame. But I think they were a little too eager to get it over with, so they sent Jaime to Dorne and Brienne to the north, but now they're gonna have to circle back again to the Riverlands anyway. They should've bit the bullet of Feast/Dance instead of jumping the gun altogether. 

I think a big problem was that D&D wrote S5 assuming it would be the third to last season. But then HBO demanded S8. So now D&D are putting back in some of what they cut out (Riverlands and Ironborn). These plots lines were probably just going to be skipped on a 7 seven season timeline.

I do think it was a huge mistake to choose Dorne to replace Jamie's Riverlands story. I get the impulse to converge those plots, but it was so poorly executed that it was a waste of effort.

Archived