Lines or passages in the novels that always get to you

forod

Was wondering what everyone else thinks. I haven't read any of them for months so may be forgetting some, but the Jaime bath monologue always gets me. Gives us our first real insight in to what is quite a disturbed character. on that note, "The boy had wanted to be ser Arthur Dayne, but had somewhere along the way he had become the Smiling Knight instead." is also a sad but acutely accurate description of Jaime. Brienne's conversation with the Elder Brother also never fails to make me sad. 

Ygritte's death, and Maester Aemon's death are also really sad passages for me.

But my two favourite lines of prose come from two Jon chapters. I remember, the first time I read AGOT, loving the line "The memory of her laughter warmed him on the long ride north." It was one of the first real hooks I had to the series. The other is in the wake of the Battle for the Wall. "He hoped Munda found happiness with Longspear Ryk. Someone had to find some happiness somewhere."

"Beautiful and willful and dead before her time."

The scene where jaime talks to his mother (or dreams about her) after Tywin dies.

And from dunk and egg, in HK,when dunk keeps hoping for "just one win, that's not so much to hope for." It just kills me when someone is desperate for just one thing to go right for them.

3 minutes ago, Dorian Martell said:

The Scene when Arya via Nymeria find's cat's corpse in the river and tries to wake her. The most emotionally heavy magical part of the books 

I said almost the same thing in the "Which scene hit you the most" thread. Haha you ain't so tough. :wub:

4 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

I said almost the same thing in the "Which scene hit you the most" thread. Haha you ain't so tough. :wub:

I'm only tough on the internet and when I see people getting harassed. everywhere else I am quite the softie 

1 minute ago, Dorian Martell said:

I'm only tough on the internet and when I see people getting harassed. everywhere else I am quite the softie 

I do think that that scene was one of the best Martin wrote.

At hardhome with six ships. Wild seas. Blackbird lost with all hands, two Lyseni ships driven aground on Skane, Talon taking water. Very bad here. Wildlings eating their own dead. Dead things in the woods. Braavosi captains will only take women, children on their ships. Witch women call us slavers. Attempt to take Storm Crow defeated, six crew dead, many wildlings. Eight ravens left. Dead things in the water.Send help by land, seas wracked by storms. From Talon, by hand of Maester Harmune

This gets me. I think about this way more than the other letter he got. 

When Wyman Manderly speaks to Davos. 

"Foes and false friends are all around me, Lord Davos. They infest my city like roaches, and at night I feel them crawling over me." The fat man’s fingers coiled into a fist, and all his chins trembled. "My son Wendel came to the Twins a guest. He ate Lord Walder’s bread and salt, and hung his sword upon the wall to feast with his friends. And they murdered him. Murdered, I say, and may the Freys choke upon their fables. I drink with Jared, jape with Symond, promise Rhaegar the hand of my own beloved granddaughter…but never think that means I have forgotten. The north remembers, Lord Davos. The north remembers, and the mummer’s farce is almost done. My son is home." 

Theon hearing his name in front of the heart tree at Winterfell also gets me. 

I referred to the scene between Bran and Robb in my other thread, but the exact passage that I love would have to be:

"Are they ever coming back?" Bran asked him.
"Yes," Robb said with such hope in his voice that Bran knew he was hearing his brother and not just Robb the Lord. "Mother will be home soon. Maybe we can ride out to meet her when she comes. Wouldn't that surprise her, to see you ahorse?" Even in the dark room, Bran could feel his brother's smile. "And afterward, we'll ride north to see the Wall. We won't even tell Jon we're coming, we'll just be there one day, you and me. It will be an adventure."
"An adventure," Bran repeated wistfully. He heard his brother sob. The room was so dark he could not see the tears on Robb's face, so he reached out and found his hand. Their fingers twined together.

So many, but I'm adding a few less frequently mentioned instances:

Viserys's final moments.

Sansa pitied them. Sansa envied them. 

"Who do you miss, Halfman?" Jaime, thought Tyrion. Shae. Tysha. My wife, I miss my wife, the wife I hardly knew. [In my mind, the wife he refers to is Sansa].

1 hour ago, The Bold Wolf said:

When Wyman Manderly speaks to Davos. 

"Foes and false friends are all around me, Lord Davos. They infest my city like roaches, and at night I feel them crawling over me." The fat man’s fingers coiled into a fist, and all his chins trembled. "My son Wendel came to the Twins a guest. He ate Lord Walder’s bread and salt, and hung his sword upon the wall to feast with his friends. And they murdered him. Murdered, I say, and may the Freys choke upon their fables. I drink with Jared, jape with Symond, promise Rhaegar the hand of my own beloved granddaughter…but never think that means I have forgotten. The north remembers, Lord Davos. The north remembers, and the mummer’s farce is almost done. My son is home." 

Theon hearing his name in front of the heart tree at Winterfell also gets me. 

I agree that always gets me, but even more so is earlier when Wylla is talking about Robb in front of Davos:

“No,” the girl declared, shaking her head. “I won’t. I won’t ever. They killed the king..."

“I know about the promise,” insisted the girl. “Maester Theomore, tell them! A thousand years before the Conquest, a promise was made, and oaths were sworn in the Wolf’s Den before the old gods and the new. When we were sore beset and friendless, hounded from our homes and in peril of our lives, the wolves took us in and nourished us and protected us against our enemies. The city is built upon the land they gave us. In return we swore that we should always be their men. Stark men!” 

37 minutes ago, Gaius Gracchus said:

I agree that always gets me, but even more so is earlier when Wylla is talking about Robb in front of Davos:

“No,” the girl declared, shaking her head. “I won’t. I won’t ever. They killed the king..."

“I know about the promise,” insisted the girl. “Maester Theomore, tell them! A thousand years before the Conquest, a promise was made, and oaths were sworn in the Wolf’s Den before the old gods and the new. When we were sore beset and friendless, hounded from our homes and in peril of our lives, the wolves took us in and nourished us and protected us against our enemies. The city is built upon the land they gave us. In return we swore that we should always be their men. Stark men!” 

Yeah! I have a hard time moving on from that when reading it in the book. I just keep reading it over and over. The whole sequence is amazing. 

For some reason the Lady Smallwood scenes with Arya at Acorn Hall always get me.  Dressing Arya up in her kids' old clothes.  Her plight at trying to hold out in her little castle while the war rages around her and her people. So sad.

Archived