Bride of Fire: The Corpse with Bright Eyes is Daario Naharis

Lost Melnibonean

Bride of Fire

1. Her silver was trotting through the grass, to a darkling stream beneath a sea of stars.

2. A corpse stood at the prow of a ship, eyes bright in his dead face, grey lips smiling sadly.

3. A blue flower grew from a chink in a wall of ice, and filled the air with sweetness.

The first vision clearly alludes to Daenerys Targaryen’s first night with Khal Drogo. Since Daenerys wed Drogo, and came to love him, we should assume that the other two persons represented in the other two respective visions must be wed to, and loved by, Daenerys. On the other hand, she has wed Hizdahr, but she does not love him, and she loves Daario Naharis, but she has not wed him, and the narrative strongly suggests that she will not wed him. So, for either of these two characters to fit, we must eliminate the other, and eliminate either the marriage element or the love element. If we disregard marriage and retain love as the required element, Daario fits at least part of the description. . .

Dany found herself stealing looks at the Tyroshi when her captains came to council, and sometimes at night she remembered the way his gold tooth glittered when he smiled. That, and his eyes. His bright blue eyes.

. . .

But these were foolish thoughts. She had a city to take, and dreaming of kisses and some sellsword's bright blue eyes would not help her breach the walls of Meereen.

Daenerys V, Storm 57

If this vision does represent Daario, then it obviously foreshadows his death. 

The third vision surely represents Jon Snow, and its inclusion under bride of fire, assuming that the second vision represents Daario, foreshadows that Daenerys will fall in love with Jon.

As to whether there will be sufficient time for Daenerys to meet and to fall in love with Jon, keep in mind that The George is planning on giving us at least another 2,000 pages. Daenerys was able to meet Drogo in Pentos and Daario in Slaver's Bay, and to fall in love with both of them in less than 4,000 pages. 

ETA

Victarion is associated with ships and death, but how do “grey lips smiling sadly” refer to the Iron Captain? Here's a pretty obvious answer...

On 5/18/2016 at 3:04 PM, LordToo-Fat-to-Sit-a-Horse said:

Victarion is a Greyjoy... grey lips smiling

But Victarion's eyes are never described as “bright,” are they? To the best of my search, other than Daario Naharis, there are six characters whose eyes are described as bright. Rickon’s eyes are bright when he begs for a sweet. Edmure’s eyes are too bright after battle. Joffrey’s eyes are bright with cruel amusement. Petyr’s eyes are bright with mockery. Sandor and Myrcella’s eyes are bright with fever.

But unlike Daario’s eyes, which are described as bright in and of themselves, the eyes of all of those characters are described as having bright eyes because of some momentary reason.

Alliser, Rattleshirt and

Tumco Lho

are described as having “shiny” eyes, and Quaithe’s eyes are “wet,” but those descriptions are distinguishable, and none of those characters appear to fit in the vision. 

Not only does Daenerys think of Daario's eyes as bright, his eyes are the feature she identifies with him most. 

So, the bright eyes could be the key identifier, not the prow of the ship or the grey lips, which could be fulfilled later. 

ETA II

The eyes of Ramsay and Moqorro are described as shiny, but the tense used suggest they were only shining in the moment.  

ETA III

Standing in the prow of the ship suggests that his death will occur at sea, or perhaps Daenerys will recall her love when she sees a similar figurehead on whatever ship she uses to cross the Narrow Sea. The grey lips suggest that he might die of greyscale. 

ETA IV

Hmm... It seems there is one more extremely intriguing character with bright eyes, well one of 'em anyway...

The torches along the walls were burning bright, and so was he, blue lips, blue eye, and all. 

Euron’s smiling eye was bright with mockery. “Or do I ask too much of you? It is a fearsome thing to sail beyond Valyria.

The Reaver, Feast 29

ETA V

Hmm... Tyrion notices Illyrio's "pig's eyes shining above his fat cheeks," but shiny is not necessarily bright. 

ETA VI

That night her cooks roasted her a kid with dates and carrots, but Dany could only eat a bite of it. The prospect of wrestling with Meereen once more left her feeling weary. Sleep came hard, even when Daario came back, so drunk that he could hardly stand. Beneath her coverlets she tossed and turned, dreaming that Hizdahr was kissing her … but his lips were blue and bruised, and when he thrust himself inside her, his manhood was cold as ice. She sat up with her hair disheveled and the bed-clothes atangle. Her captain slept beside her, yet she was alone. She wanted to shake him, wake him, make him hold her, fuck her, help her forget, but she knew that if she did, he would only smile and yawn and say, "It was just a dream, my queen. Go back to sleep."

Daenerys VI, Dance 43

Most of the speculation I have read about this dream is that it foreshadows Daenerys having sex with Euron, Tyrion, Jon Snow, or an Other. I have also read that it foreshadows Hizdahr’s death. I would say that Hizdahr’s death is the more likely of those two options, but I was reading a post by Tze, who noted that the speculation about Tyrion, advanced by Fire Eater, is based on this...

"Lemore has been washing you with it. Some say it helps prevent the greyscale. I am inclined to doubt that, but there was no harm in trying. It was Lemore who forced the water from your lungs after Griff had pulled you up. You were as cold as ice, and your lips were blue. Yandry said we ought to throw you back, but the lad forbade it."

Tyrion VI, Dance 22

@tze suggested that the two passages foreshadow Daenerys having sex with a drowned man, and concluded that it would be Euron. But perhaps @tze is only partly right... Perhaps the object of the dream is not a Drowned Man, but rather, a man that has drowned. If so, this dream would fit nicely with the idea that Daario will die at sea, or be killed by Victarion, maybe even as a sacrifice to the Drowned God.

ETA VII

Hmm...

One day he will go and not return, she thought. One day some archer will put an arrow through his chest, or ten men will fall on him with spears and swords and axes, ten would-be heroes. Five of them would die, but that would not make her grief easier to bear. One day I will lose him, as I lost my sun-and-stars.

Daenerys VI, Dance 43

Ten would be heroes... like the ten long arms of a kraken.

ETA VIII

Wow I just noticed this...

Baelor Hightower was no longer young, but he remained Lord Leyton's heir; wealthy, handsome, and a knight of splendid repute. Baelor Brightsmile, they called him now.

So, the heir to the Hightower is not young, making him grey, and he has a bright smile...

interesting.

Daario clearly represents the path of violence (blood and fire) during ADWD instead of Hizdahr who is comrpomise and peace.

in that sense he is more "fire" and passion and so on.

yet,why a ship, why the dead face, why the grey lips, and why the sad smile?

the one thing i am sure is that the "bride of fire" trio, doens´t represent husbands.

Dany is married to "fire" in a methaphorical way.

Ship, dead, sad... Those things kind of remind me of Victarion. And I promise you there are few things I would like less in this series than see Dany fall in love with Victarion. :unsure:

ETA: apart from the "grey smile"' " Greyjoy" crackpot connection...

19 minutes ago, LordToo-Fat-to-Sit-a-Horse said:

interesting.

Daario clearly represents the path of violence (blood and fire) during ADWD instead of Hizdahr who is comrpomise and peace.

in that sense he is more "fire" and passion and so on.

yet,why a ship, why the dead face, why the grey lips, and why the sad smile?

the one thing i am sure is that the "bride of fire" trio, doens´t represent husbands.

Dany is married to "fire" in a methaphorical way.

The corpse and the dead face would be the foreshadowing of Daario's. Standing in the prow of the ship suggests that his death will occur at sea, or perhaps Daenerys will recall her love when she sees a similar figurehead on whatever ship she uses to cross the Narrow Sea. The grey lips suggest that he might die of greyscale. 

1 hour ago, Ser Leftwich said:

Really, Dany falls in love with each in ~1,000 pages. Drogo in just AGoT and Daario in just ADwD.

Game was less than 700 pages. It took all of Clash and most of Storm to meet Daario.

Not only would Daenerys need to fall in love with Jon Snow, but she will need to cross the sea, dance with a dragon, and reach the Wall (unless of course, Jon heads south for a tango). 

22 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

The corpse and the dead face would be the foreshadowing of Daario's. Standing in the prow of the ship suggests that his death will occur at sea, or perhaps Daenerys will recall her love when she sees a similar figurehead on whatever ship she uses to cross the Narrow Sea. The grey lips suggest that he might die of greyscale. 

too many things that have to happen in order for the vision to make sense right now.

Victarion on the other hand.. has the ship, the grey lips smiling, and the corpse/dead face (if he is indeed a firewight) working for him as of ADWD.

37 minutes ago, Ebrose said:

Ship, dead, sad... Those things kind of remind me of Victarion. And I promise you there are few things I would like less in this series than see Dany fall in love with Victarion. :unsure:

I have never been able to see the Daenerys-Victarion thing. I believe Victarion's glory awaits him in the gullet of a dragon. 

Just now, Lost Melnibonean said:

I have never been able to see the Daenerys-Victarion thing. I believe Victarion's glory awaits him in the gullet of a dragon. 

I don't see it either (or at least I don't want to see it). But I honestly think that it fits almost perfectly with the description of the vision, which is disturbing.

Just now, Ebrose said:

I don't see it either (or at least I don't want to see it). But I honestly think that it fits almost perfectly with the description of the vision, which is disturbing.

You and LordToo-Fat-to-Sit-a-Horse should go bowling. 

Always was confused by this particular trio from the House of the Undying.

1 & 3 almost certainly refer to Drogo and Jon but they do not appear in the vision, only a horse and a flower who represent them. Is it possible the bright eyed, smiling corpse in vision no.2 is not the prospective husband but represents someone else? Victarion representing Euron perhaps.

44 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Or that a Greyjoy will kill him.

I remember finding this a long time ago:  

ASOS; Dany

Stormcrows do not stand at all. They fly, at the first sign of thunder. Perhaps you should be flying now. I have heard that sellswords are notoriously unfaithful. What will it avail you to be staunch, when the Second Sons change sides?”

ADWD; Victarion

They were close now, and growing closer every day. “We will fall upon them like a thunderbolt,” he said, as he squeezed the woman’s breast

Victarion's arrival means only bad things for Daario.  I've always assumed Daario would betray her and be the treason for gold, but I guess GRRM could subvert expectations by having a sellsword stay loyal.  Either way, I think he dies at Vic's hands.     

29 minutes ago, Ser Wun Wun said:

Or that a Greyjoy will kill him.

I remember finding this a long time ago:  

Victarion's arrival means only bad things for Daario.  I've always assumed Daario would betray her and be the treason for gold, but I guess GRRM could subvert expectations by having a sellsword stay loyal.  Either way, I think he dies at Vic's hands.     

That could be interpreted as fulfilling the rest of the symbolism for Daario, especially if she recalls her love for Daario while standing on the prow of Iron Victory

Sure, Victarion is associated with ships and death, but how do “grey lips smiling sadly” refer to the Iron Captain? And his eyes are never described as “bright,” are they?

To the best of my search, other than Daario Naharis, there are six characters whose eyes are described as bright. Rickon’s eyes are bright when he begs for a sweet. Edmure’s eyes are too bright after battle. Joffrey’s eyes are bright with cruel amusement. Petyr’s eyes are bright with mocking. Sandor and Myrcella’s eyes are bright with fever.

But unlike Daario’s eyes, which are described as bright in and of themselves, the eyes of all of those characters are described as having bright eyes because of some momentary reason.

Alliser, Rattleshirt and

Tumco Lho

are described as having “shiny” eyes, and Quaithe’s eyes are “wet,” but those descriptions are distinguishable, and none of those characters appear to fit in the vision. 

Not only does Daenerys think of Daario's eyes as bright, his eyes are the feature she identifies with him most. 

So, the bright eyes are the key identifier, not the prow of the ship or the grey lips. 

12 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

So, the bright eyes are the key identifier, not the prow of the ship or the grey lips. 

Well, are the key identifier because you want it to be... I don't see why they should be more relevant than the others, to be honest.

My take is that if Victarion happens to be a "firewight" his eyes may "glow with fire", even though he might be theoretically dead.

Do we have any third person describing Victarion's eyes at all? Let's wait until Barristan and/or Tyrion describes them to us.

Again, don't misunderstand me. I don't want that to happen at all.

1 hour ago, Ebrose said:

Well, are the key identifier because you want it to be... I don't see why they should be more relevant than the others, to be honest.

My take is that if Victarion happens to be a "firewight" his eyes may "glow with fire", even though he might be theoretically dead.

Do we have any third person describing Victarion's eyes at all? Let's wait until Barristan and/or Tyrion describes them to us.

Again, don't misunderstand me. I don't want that to happen at all.

What I argued in the rest of the post, which you omitted, was that Daario is the only character with bright eyes. 

They are described that way by Daenerys, for whom the vision is relevant. 

Victarion's eyes are described only as sharp. You might imagine they glow with fire, but the author never described them that way. 

On the other hand, any number of characters can be associated with ships and death. Recall the scene in Feast where Sam left Aemon, who was smiling, above decks in the rain, which felt like tears, invoking sadness. Of course, Aemon caught the chill that killed him. And maesters are associated with the color gray. 

Archived