Pink Letter/Northern Conspiracy Theory

After watching episode 3 and 4 I still don't believe Smalljon Umber is betraying the Starks. I think he's actually trying to force Jon's hand into rallying the wildlings and other northern houses like House Mormont and Manderly together to fight Ramsay.

This stems from the Umbers being a very loyal house to the Starks as seen in the books and in season 1 of AGOT, even though yes this is the show and not the books you still have to admit this sudden change of allegiance from Stark to Bolton is a interesting change. The point I'm making is why now? Roose was much better than Ramsay at ruling the north and would be more diplomatic, but isn't it coincidental that as soon as Sansa escapes WF with only one place to go (Castle Black) and Roose is murdered (Who would of been a better candidate to rule over Ramsay) that all of a sudden Smalljon turns up to WF and joins up with Ramsay.

Yes Smalljon gave Ramsay Rickon who was the heir to the North but wouldn't that be the best ploy to convince Jon to march south, knowing Sansa would reach Castle Black to convince Jon as well. 

However to just make sure and force Jon's hand, Smalljon forged the Pink letter and sent it to Jon and here's my evidence:

The books clearly made the Pink letter a mystery as it tells us events that as far as we know haven't happened yet, the wording used in the letter appears to point to someone else writing the letter rather than Ramsay. Another issue that points to the writer being Smalljon or some other lord is the quality of the letter itself, back in season 3 Ramsay sent a letter to Pyke making demands of Balon, if you look closely the appearance of the letter is more "professional" than the one sent to Jon.

Another thing is we know Ramsay as a human/monster, he suggested storming Castle Black earlier in the season and would happily still do it, he's not a man to shy from a fight meaning he wouldn't ask he would just take and who's to stop him? as long as he would kill the wildlings on the way he has no need to fear killing off the Nights Watch as he has all the strength he needs to hold the north with the Umbers and Karstarks, well he at least thinks he does.

Other evidence is the size of Rickon's dire wolfs head which you have to agree was more wolf sized when compared to the size of Grey Wind and Ghost also the fact that Smalljon didn't bow nor bend the knee to Ramsay which we know is odd, considering northern houses are very traditional.

So if Smalljon did send the Pink letter, it would be the perfect rouse to force Jon's hand to march south with an army of Wildlings and gather Stark Loyalists along the way since that would be the only way to defeat the alliance of Ramsay and the Karstarks, knowing Sansa is at/heading to CB , she would be proof of Ramsey's nature Make Jon sympathize with her . that's why I believe Smalljon gave Rickon to Ramsay whos a complete Psychopath as bait to force Jon south with Stark loyalists army augmented with a Wildlings, Making Smalljon either the leading or apart of the Tv's version of the Northern conspiracy.

That may all be wishful thinking but hopefully that's the TV's adaptation of the Northern Conspiracy feel free to correct me on anything and give your opinions :) 

1 hour ago, Masha said:

I don't think you should count Umber in the TV show being part of Northern Conspiracy. I think they are exactly what they appear to be - traitors to Starks. 

Nothing ever go's well for the Starks and this would be a good example of their bad luck

33 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

Actually I'm wondering if the Karstark lord is going to be the closet Stark loyalist and the Umber is just a "treasonous cunt" like he appears. Just to reverse expectations if nothing else.

That would be surprising to see lord Karstark turn out to still be a loyalist, however I think with Robb Stark cutting Rickards head off means there's little chance of them remaining loyal especially if this lord Karstark is Harrion.

i think one faction that has been mentioned but not made an appearance but will have a role to play in future is House Manderly.

I've actually seen a compelling argument made that Littlefinger is the writer of the Pink Letter.  The theory focuses specifically on the phrase "come and see" which the show's Pink Letter repeats and emphasizes.  Coincidentally (or not, according to this theory), LF says exactly that when he goes to meet Sweet Robin and shows him his gift of a falcon.  LF also seems to clearly desire Jon/Sansa taking an army to the Boltons at Winterfell as that's exactly where he's headed with the Knights of the Vale.  

Are u prepared for the part where Jon "Stark" travel to the houses of the north calling for help and then the lords:

"wtf dude, you should be at castle black, desertor! i will have your head"

JS: "i died. now i am free from my vow!"

NL: "Do you think i am an idiot?"

Sir davos: "i saw with my own eyes"

NL: "oh ok, i will join you then"

Be prepared.

I don't know how anyone can look at the Umbers and come to the conclusion that they are still Stark loyalists.

They've literally delivered the last known living Stark straight to Ramsey Bolton. 

There's no decent plan that involves delivering Rickon straight to the enemy. None. 

They are traitors. 

Those still choosing to see the Umbers as loyal, are doing so because they choose to see what they wish to see - which just isn't there. 

The dire wolves grew at different rates in the book. Not surprising Shaggydog was smaller than Greywind. 

Right off the top: It makes absolutely no sense for them to deliver Rickon to Ramsay who could very well murder him on the spot. It's entirely too dangerous and there's no guarantee Jon would respond. He didn't even want to go after he read the letter. It took Sansa pleading with him to get him to agree to it. 

Not sure why its so hard to accept the Umbers are traitors and Shaggydog is dead. 

2 hours ago, RoamingRonin said:

Not sure why its so hard to accept the Umbers are traitors and Shaggydog is dead. 

People are just trying to figure out a way it isn't true and Rickon isn't totally f***ed. I would also like for this to be the case for a few reasons:

• I am tired of Starks dying.
  • I am tired of direwolves dying.
  • Killing a direwolf outside of the narrative is annoying (to me).

But all that said, I have read the books and watch the show, so I get that there is no particular concern for giving me the warm-and-fuzzies. Rickon is toast. As stated, it makes no sense to deliver the presumptive Lord Stark to Ramsay if you're trying to defeat Ramsay. It's easy to get caught up in the whole "There must always be a Stark in Winterfell" thing, but it's hard to imagine the Umbers would go to these lengths to ensure it. RIP Rickon.

This also irks me too. Ramsay (and Lord Karstark) believe that the Northern houses will rally to Jon Snow (or any Stark for that matter) and all of a sudden we have a pro-Stark house (with no motive other than "oh no filthy wildlings are near us", grow a pair SmallJon there's only 2,000 able to fight, that's worth like 500 trained soldiers at least) deliver the last trueborn Stark male to the Boltons.... This is honestly a terrible setup... It makes no sense that a pro-Stark house (especially one as fierce as the Umbers) would turn chicken in front of half-starving wildlings. It just honestly doesn't make any sense what-so-fricking-ever. 

13 hours ago, RoamingRonin said:

The dire wolves grew at different rates in the book. Not surprising Shaggydog was smaller than Greywind. 

I believe that Smalljon is a traitor, yes, but the direwolf head was too small. Look how big Shaggydog's head already was back in season 2. 

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/File:Summer_and_Shaggy.jpg

12 minutes ago, Philpenn said:

^^  Great screen grab.  If there's no trick being played by Umber, then that's a massive fuck up by the show.

My guess is that the Umbers are traitors, but they couldn't catch Shaggydog; maybe Rickon told the direwolf to run away like Nymeria. Shaggy was the fiercest of them all. 

42 minutes ago, Philpenn said:

^^  Great screen grab.  If there's no trick being played by Umber, then that's a massive fuck up by the show.

If it's some sort of trick than he's an idiot and it's not down to loyalty to the Starks because chances are pretty high he's just killed one of the last remaining Starks in Rickon by handing him over to Ramsay

Archived