Scott Lynch's THORN OF EMBERLAIN

Werthead

2 hours ago, End of Disc One said:

I hope Jean doesn't die just because I think this series needs more protagonist characters, not fewer.  I'd like to see a reformed Gentlemen Bastards with 5 or so people like in the first book.

Yeah, but each following book has a small description (like 3-4 lines) and for this it is 'things change forever'. Obviously, it might mean a lot of things, like Locke understanding his identity, or getting back his powers (providing that Patience didn't lie), etc, but I have a strong suspicion that it is about Jean dying. After all, he is Locke's last friend, and he has been Locke's protector for their entire lives. I doubt that there is anything else that describe better 'things change forever'.

While I would like to see more Gentlemen Bastards (or at least the three remaining bastards, although Beth's status is on limbo), it is clear that the title is a bit misleading. It is more 'The Chronicles of Locke Lamora' rather than Gentleman Bastards.

I want to be excited but, considering the trajectory of quality in this series, I need to see some reviews that suggest this is at least better than #3 and hopefully better than #2 too.  Fingers crossed.

And from a personal and professional point of view for Scott, I hope he's on an upward trajectory now too.

On 6/3/2016 at 3:46 PM, Immobile Buffon said:

I want to be excited but, considering the trajectory of quality in this series, I need to see some reviews that suggest this is at least better than #3 and hopefully better than #2 too.  Fingers crossed.

And from a personal and professional point of view for Scott, I hope he's on an upward trajectory now too.

The third book in the series is my personal favorite. The subject matter and plot lines all tie into my personal life as someone who works at the theatre, is involved in politics, and has had relationships based of objectification. Having said that, I can clearly see how someone would hold the first book in the series as the best.

21 hours ago, HowdyGareth Bale said:

The third book in the series is my personal favorite. The subject matter and plot lines all tie into my personal life as someone who works at the theatre, is involved in politics, and has had relationships based of objectification. Having said that, I can clearly see how someone would hold the first book in the series as the best.

That was actually one of my problems. I'm involved with politics too, to the point where I was scratching my head about Locke's methods of election rigging. I'm not a criminal mastermind, but I could do a better job at rigging an election than Locke managed in Republic of Thieves.

1 minute ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

That was actually one of my problems. I'm involved with politics too, to the point where I was scratching my head about Locke's methods of election rigging. I'm not a criminal mastermind, but I could do a better job at rigging an election than Locke managed in Republic of Thieves.

I will grant you that the politics story line was the weakest of the three major plot lines I described, but it was still highly entertaining because it was the tool used to show the machinations of the relationship between Locke and Sebetha. That was the major pay out to me.  I can't recall a better example of any author addressing the concept of love vs objectification as well as Lynch did in that book.  Scott know his unhealthy relationships and can describe them to a tee.  

I'm hoping for less theater, less politics and more hustle and deception games!

This book is going to be about war and intrigue, so I'm not sure we're going to get that. I get the impression that this book is going to be the most "epic fantasy" of the series so far.

38 minutes ago, Werthead said:

This book is going to be about war and intrigue, so I'm not sure we're going to get that. I get the impression that this book is going to be the most "epic fantasy" of the series so far.

I'm okay with seeing Lynch's take on that.

This is going on the list! 

I'm with the other posters who don't want Jean to die. I think he's the sort of character who, if he is going to be killed off, it would have to be near the end. His future contributions to the plot and sheer awesomeness outweigh any shock value garnered by his mid-series death.

Not 100% sure, but I think we're also going to get the first large-scale map of the continent in this one, so we can see where everything is.

2 hours ago, Liver and Onions said:

This is going on the list! 

I'm with the other posters who don't want Jean to die. I think he's the sort of character who, if he is going to be killed off, it would have to be near the end. His future contributions to the plot and sheer awesomeness outweigh any shock value garnered by his mid-series death.

Without Jean I just cannot imagine Locke surviving very long anyway so I agree. 

I'm curious: how do you all pronounce 'Jean'? I pronounce it the French way since that's how Michael Page does it in the audiobook. 

1 hour ago, KiDisaster said:

Without Jean I just cannot imagine Locke surviving very long anyway so I agree. 

I'm curious: how do you all pronounce 'Jean'? I pronounce it the French way since that's how Michael Page does it in the audiobook. 

i'm certain that i read somewhere that it is pronounced the french way, as you say.  unfortunately, i'd read two books before finding that out...hence, i pronounce it like blue "jeans"

also...i'm really looking forward to this new adventure:)

17 hours ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

If you're an e-booker, you should read the Gameshouse novella trilogy by Claire North. The first one in particular addresses a similar concept much more convincingly than Republic of Thieves.

6 hours ago, Mandy said:

I'll take that. I just really didn't enjoy the theater bit, but I know some people did.  I love the characters in this series, so I'm down for that.

I had a trick that made the Theatre portion far more exiting. I skipped reading the play itself both time I read the book. An editor really should have cut that out of the book, It made the theatre section pass by with far greater urgency. 

9 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

I've only read Serbian translation and it was translated with "the French" pronunciation, so I didn't have much choice in the matter :D

20 hours ago, D_P said:

i'm certain that i read somewhere that it is pronounced the french way, as you say.  unfortunately, i'd read two books before finding that out...hence, i pronounce it like blue "jeans"

also...i'm really looking forward to this new adventure:)

20 hours ago, Astromech said:

Jean is always French to me and Gene is always English.

I just hope if there is a death it is final and not some lame rebirth prevalent in the genre.

I've always thought of it as "John/Shawn" sounding, the bastardized French way with a hard edge to the J. Of course, for longest time, I pronounced Jaime Lannister as Hay-mey in my head, because it was spelled the way Jamie/James is in Spanish. 

Archived