Scott Lynch's THORN OF EMBERLAIN

Werthead

8 minutes ago, baxus said:

I haven't followed news regarding the book, but it said on Amazon it will be available after some date (I don't remember the exact date but it was around September 20th) and I ordered it after that date. Said nothing of pre-order or anything.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait.

I was disappointed too. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

http://scottlynch78.tumblr.com/post/154156838343/hi-scott-mazel-tov-on-getting-married-im-so

Anonymous asked: Hi Scott! MAZEL TOV on getting married!! I'm so happy for you both. Also mazel tov on getting more cats :-) great life choices all round. Um, I was just wondering what stage Thorn is at? Not 'when will it be published' as I know that's not up to you, and not 'omg how much longer??!11' because that's a jerk thing to ask. Just - are you writing the first draft? Revising it post-editorial-feedback? Checking copyedits? Just curious :-)

THORN needs an ending written (the ending is outlined in depth, just not yet written) and some targeted rewrites in three or four specific areas, based on vexing but extremely astute criticism from my agent, my genius wife, and a trusted friend. This is my primary job for December.

By the way, if anyone wants to read something similar to the series while waiting for the next book, I recommend IT TAKES A THIEF TO CATCH A SUNRISE by Rob Hayes.

That's a really entertaining fantasy thief series with lots and lots of cons.

55 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Fuck I'm currently in that situation where I'm starving for more books and only this one can sate my hunger.... 

Need to broaden your palette my friend.

Lots of good stuff out there.  After RoT, Lynch moved off my "OMG MUST READ NOW LIST" sadly.  Liked the book, but after waiting so long it left me unfulfilled.

On 12/7/2016 at 6:57 PM, C.T. Phipps said:

By the way, if anyone wants to read something similar to the series while waiting for the next book, I recommend IT TAKES A THIEF TO CATCH A SUNRISE by Rob Hayes.

That's a really entertaining fantasy thief series with lots and lots of cons.

No audio version. Sadness. 

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

Need to broaden your palette my friend.

Lots of good stuff out there.  After RoT, Lynch moved off my "OMG MUST READ NOW LIST" sadly.  Liked the book, but after waiting so long it left me unfulfilled.

So what stuff have u been reading these days which u would say is a superb read that'll make me forget all about lynch?  I need a great fantasy series man... 

1 hour ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

So what stuff have u been reading these days which u would say is a superb read that'll make me forget all about lynch?  I need a great fantasy series man... 

Obviously, tastes vary.  I will say that almost every book I've read in the last five years I've gotten from threads on this board.  You're clearly familiar with Guy Gavriel Kay, so I'm assuming you've already read up on his stuff.

I just don't think you can go wrong with anything by Daniel Abraham.  Going with my GGK assumption for you, I think you'd really dig his fantasy works.  I think his The Long Price Quartet would probably compare favorably to the kind of intellectual/slow burn fantasy seen in Kay's writings.  His Dagger and Coin series is also terrific, and is his take on a more "traditional" fantasy.  The advantage that both of those series have over Gentlemen Bastards is that they are currently complete... Or if you're into SciFi  and okay with another incomplete series, his collaboration with GRRM assistant Ty Frank where they write under the name James SA Corey is called The Expanse and starts with Leviathan Wakes.

Another author popular around here that started up around the same time as Lynch and received a lot of plaudits from the get go is Joe Abercrombie.  The First Law is complete and consists of a trilogy, three "standalones", and a short story collection.  He also has a completed series called The Shattered Sea that is a really good quick read.

Those are the two off the top of my head that seem to get the most mentions around here these days.  Other completed works that I see on my bookshelves that I picked up from around here are Mark Lawrence's Broken Empire and Matt Stover's Acts of Caine series. 

When talking uncompleted series, R. Scott Bakker gets a very polarizing reaction but I love it.  Patrick Rothfuss is highly regarded also.  Brandon Sanderson cranks out a lot of material that makes for a quick, exciting read typically.

As I say, this forum is full of great recs.  Just cruise a few pages worth and look over some.  Another great thread that you might check out is the one where several posters share their Goodreads accounts.  You can go there and see what some of the other folks around here have read recently and really liked.

Good luck!  Trust me, with this forum at your fingertips your "To Be Read" pile will be so big that you will have plan where you stop in order to read a new release.  Its what I just had to do when the newest book in The Expanse came out this week.

Archived