Scott Lynch's THORN OF EMBERLAIN

Werthead

Also as a neat factoid... several of these authors post and interact around here in various threads.  Abraham and Abercrombie poke in fairly regularly in threads for their books.  Bakker kind of surprised us all earlier this year with a thread seeking feedback on his most recent book.

Scott Lynch used to post here long ago.  His profile picture was Locke from Final Fantasy VI.

2 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Yes I love acts of Caine and read Abercrombie, ggk,  abraham and expanse,Rothfuss! 

I will check out Mark Lawrence... Heard alot about that guy. Which is Robin hobbs best series  with some nice romance? 

Hobb's series (except soldier son) are all related so just start at the beginning with the Farseer trilogy, the first of which is Assassin's Apprentice. There is romance running through pretty much all of her books, and IMO at least she writes that side of things very well. Two relationships in particular are running threads throughout the books. Characters are a strong point for Hobb, so she handles the relationships between them, whether romantic, familial, friendship, whatever, very well. 

If Assassin's Apprentice really doesn't work for you, then you could try her Liveships Trilogy, starting with Ship of Magic. It relates to the Assassin's series, but can be read as a stand alone trilogy if you really wanted to (but why would you?!). In chronological order her series in the Realm of the Elderlings goes: Farseer Trilogy - Liveships Trilogy - Tawny Man Trilogy - Rain Wild Chronicles - Fitz and the Fool Trilogy.

I've not read her soldier son trilogy but have heard pretty poor reviews of it.

(me responding to this shouldnsurprise exactly no-one at this stage :P )

Just now, RedEyedGhost said:

Rachel Aaron's Eli Monpress  - thieves

Jesse Bullington's The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart  - thieves

Mike Carey's Felix Castor books  - rogues

Douglas Hulick's Tales of the Kin  - thieves/rogues

Kameron Hurley's The Bel Dame Apocrypha  - thieves/rogues

John Hornor Jacobs' The Incorruptibles  - rogues

Richard Kadrey's Sandman Slim  - thief/rogue

Daniel Polansky's Low Town  - thief/rogue

Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn  - thieves

Courtney Schaefer's The Shattered Sigil  - smuggler, so I guess that's roguish, I just wanted to list it because it's awesome.

Chris Wooding's The Tales of the Ketty Jay  - thieves/rogues

I just posted this in another thread and thought it would be appropriate here as well.  Particularly Hurley, Schaefer, Wooding, Jacobs, and Hulick.

• 1 month later...

http://scottlynch78.tumblr.com/post/156292905743/hello-mr-lynch-im-guessing-you-probably-cannot

Hello Mr. Lynch. I'm guessing you probably cannot yet answer this, but I was wondering if you can share any hints about your story in the Book of Swords anthology. Is it in the same universe as "A Year and a Day In Old Theradane"?

It’s not the same universe. I can however tell you what it’s called… “The Smoke of Gold is Glory.” And handing this thing in was a major body-and-mind-wracking anxiety experience. And I won.

I felt like I should post b/c I was the one who asked that question (have been following the news on the anthology for a while).  I had debated asking whether the story was set in the Gentleman Bastard-verse, but I kind of figured that 1) a sword and sorcery story would likely be in the "Theradane setting" and 2) he'd be more likely to provide details on a non-Emberlain related question.

On 10/12/2016 at 7:00 PM, unJon said:

Wooding, good call. I think Ser Rodrigo would love Ketty Jay series. 

I miss that series. A rare occasion where it finished too quickly. I think he's entrenched in Young Adult novels these days but I should maybe try one out. I recall him saying there're are weirdly less restrictions on YA in terms of creativity and imagination.

56 minutes ago, red snow said:

I miss that series. A rare occasion where it finished too quickly. I think he's entrenched in Young Adult novels these days but I should maybe try one out. I recall him saying there're are weirdly less restrictions on YA in terms of creativity and imagination.

Yeah, me too. He's apparently currently in the process of writing a long epic fantasy novel to start a new series. I don't know if it's going to be YA or not though.

As said above, Chris has a non-YA project currently in motion which we should be hearing about soon (ish).

2 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Yeah, me too. He's apparently currently in the process of writing a long epic fantasy novel to start a new series. I don't know if it's going to be YA or not though.

That's good to hear! I'm intrigued by seeing his spin on epic fantasy - i guess weavers was in that style.

• 3 weeks later...

It really seems that the long expected news are finally coming this month. :)

I'm eager to read the ToE. I was a little disappointed with the plot in TRoT, but still Lynch's world and writing is superb, there's lot of potential for the rest of the story.

13 hours ago, Jussi said:

From the Orion rights catalogue:

https://www.orionbooks.co.uk/assets/OrionPublishingGroup/downloads/Catalogues/Orion-Rights-Guide-Frankfurt-2016.pdf

I hope that this is an error... It should read 2017.

Maybe it should... but I won't be surprised if it turns out to be more true than not.

Archived