Werthead

Scott Lynch's THORN OF EMBERLAIN

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

Need to broaden your palette my friend.

Lots of good stuff out there.  After RoT, Lynch moved off my "OMG MUST READ NOW LIST" sadly.  Liked the book, but after waiting so long it left me unfulfilled.

So what stuff have u been reading these days which u would say is a superb read that'll make me forget all about lynch?  I need a great fantasy series man... 

1 hour ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

So what stuff have u been reading these days which u would say is a superb read that'll make me forget all about lynch?  I need a great fantasy series man... 

Obviously, tastes vary.  I will say that almost every book I've read in the last five years I've gotten from threads on this board.  You're clearly familiar with Guy Gavriel Kay, so I'm assuming you've already read up on his stuff.

I just don't think you can go wrong with anything by Daniel Abraham.  Going with my GGK assumption for you, I think you'd really dig his fantasy works.  I think his The Long Price Quartet would probably compare favorably to the kind of intellectual/slow burn fantasy seen in Kay's writings.  His Dagger and Coin series is also terrific, and is his take on a more "traditional" fantasy.  The advantage that both of those series have over Gentlemen Bastards is that they are currently complete... Or if you're into SciFi  and okay with another incomplete series, his collaboration with GRRM assistant Ty Frank where they write under the name James SA Corey is called The Expanse and starts with Leviathan Wakes.

Another author popular around here that started up around the same time as Lynch and received a lot of plaudits from the get go is Joe Abercrombie.  The First Law is complete and consists of a trilogy, three "standalones", and a short story collection.  He also has a completed series called The Shattered Sea that is a really good quick read.

Those are the two off the top of my head that seem to get the most mentions around here these days.  Other completed works that I see on my bookshelves that I picked up from around here are Mark Lawrence's Broken Empire and Matt Stover's Acts of Caine series. 

When talking uncompleted series, R. Scott Bakker gets a very polarizing reaction but I love it.  Patrick Rothfuss is highly regarded also.  Brandon Sanderson cranks out a lot of material that makes for a quick, exciting read typically.

As I say, this forum is full of great recs.  Just cruise a few pages worth and look over some.  Another great thread that you might check out is the one where several posters share their Goodreads accounts.  You can go there and see what some of the other folks around here have read recently and really liked.

Good luck!  Trust me, with this forum at your fingertips your "To Be Read" pile will be so big that you will have plan where you stop in order to read a new release.  Its what I just had to do when the newest book in The Expanse came out this week.

Also as a neat factoid... several of these authors post and interact around here in various threads.  Abraham and Abercrombie poke in fairly regularly in threads for their books.  Bakker kind of surprised us all earlier this year with a thread seeking feedback on his most recent book.

Scott Lynch used to post here long ago.  His profile picture was Locke from Final Fantasy VI.

2 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Yes I love acts of Caine and read Abercrombie, ggk,  abraham and expanse,Rothfuss! 

I will check out Mark Lawrence... Heard alot about that guy. Which is Robin hobbs best series  with some nice romance? 

Hobb's series (except soldier son) are all related so just start at the beginning with the Farseer trilogy, the first of which is Assassin's Apprentice. There is romance running through pretty much all of her books, and IMO at least she writes that side of things very well. Two relationships in particular are running threads throughout the books. Characters are a strong point for Hobb, so she handles the relationships between them, whether romantic, familial, friendship, whatever, very well. 

If Assassin's Apprentice really doesn't work for you, then you could try her Liveships Trilogy, starting with Ship of Magic. It relates to the Assassin's series, but can be read as a stand alone trilogy if you really wanted to (but why would you?!). In chronological order her series in the Realm of the Elderlings goes: Farseer Trilogy - Liveships Trilogy - Tawny Man Trilogy - Rain Wild Chronicles - Fitz and the Fool Trilogy.

I've not read her soldier son trilogy but have heard pretty poor reviews of it.

(me responding to this shouldnsurprise exactly no-one at this stage :P )

Edited by HelenaExMachina

Just now, RedEyedGhost said:

Rachel Aaron's Eli Monpress  - thieves

Jesse Bullington's The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart  - thieves

Mike Carey's Felix Castor books  - rogues

Douglas Hulick's Tales of the Kin  - thieves/rogues

Kameron Hurley's The Bel Dame Apocrypha  - thieves/rogues

John Hornor Jacobs' The Incorruptibles  - rogues

Richard Kadrey's Sandman Slim  - thief/rogue

Daniel Polansky's Low Town  - thief/rogue

Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn  - thieves

Courtney Schaefer's The Shattered Sigil  - smuggler, so I guess that's roguish, I just wanted to list it because it's awesome.

Chris Wooding's The Tales of the Ketty Jay  - thieves/rogues

I just posted this in another thread and thought it would be appropriate here as well.  Particularly Hurley, Schaefer, Wooding, Jacobs, and Hulick.

Wooding, good call. I think Ser Rodrigo would love Ketty Jay series. 

Edited by unJon

http://scottlynch78.tumblr.com/post/156292905743/hello-mr-lynch-im-guessing-you-probably-cannot

Hello Mr. Lynch. I'm guessing you probably cannot yet answer this, but I was wondering if you can share any hints about your story in the Book of Swords anthology. Is it in the same universe as "A Year and a Day In Old Theradane"?

It’s not the same universe. I can however tell you what it’s called… “The Smoke of Gold is Glory.” And handing this thing in was a major body-and-mind-wracking anxiety experience. And I won.

I felt like I should post b/c I was the one who asked that question (have been following the news on the anthology for a while).  I had debated asking whether the story was set in the Gentleman Bastard-verse, but I kind of figured that 1) a sword and sorcery story would likely be in the "Theradane setting" and 2) he'd be more likely to provide details on a non-Emberlain related question.

On 10/12/2016 at 7:00 PM, unJon said:

Wooding, good call. I think Ser Rodrigo would love Ketty Jay series. 

I miss that series. A rare occasion where it finished too quickly. I think he's entrenched in Young Adult novels these days but I should maybe try one out. I recall him saying there're are weirdly less restrictions on YA in terms of creativity and imagination.

56 minutes ago, red snow said:

I miss that series. A rare occasion where it finished too quickly. I think he's entrenched in Young Adult novels these days but I should maybe try one out. I recall him saying there're are weirdly less restrictions on YA in terms of creativity and imagination.

Yeah, me too. He's apparently currently in the process of writing a long epic fantasy novel to start a new series. I don't know if it's going to be YA or not though.

As said above, Chris has a non-YA project currently in motion which we should be hearing about soon (ish).

2 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Yeah, me too. He's apparently currently in the process of writing a long epic fantasy novel to start a new series. I don't know if it's going to be YA or not though.

That's good to hear! I'm intrigued by seeing his spin on epic fantasy - i guess weavers was in that style.

8 minutes ago, Rhom said:

:D

I guess the Thorn of Emberlain was never delayed and anyone who says otherwise is a lying liar.

It'd be nice to have a new installment by the end of the year.

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

:lol:

Scott Lynch's huge update is that he's finished unpacking from his move finally. He's now looking forward to getting back to writing.