Scott Lynch's THORN OF EMBERLAIN

Werthead

If there's legal/contractual issues involved, people really shouldn't make promises about announcements. The Robert Jordan Estate made a big hoo har about the TV show rights being sold a year ago, on the assumption that the studio was going to make a formal announcement imminently, and a year later they still haven't (rather bizarrely).

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

If there's legal/contractual issues involved, people really shouldn't make promises about announcements. The Robert Jordan Estate made a big hoo har about the TV show rights being sold a year ago, on the assumption that the studio was going to make a formal announcement imminently, and a year later they still haven't (rather bizarrely).

I do find it irritating when people say 'there are a few contract issues to work out but they'll be done soon'. If you knew when they'd be worked out then you'd have already worked them out.

23 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I do find it irritating when people say 'there are a few contract issues to work out but they'll be done soon'. If you knew when they'd be worked out then you'd have already worked them out.

What is thought to be a simple issue can frequently turn into a deal breaker.  When big money is involved there are no small points.

On 3/12/2017 at 8:11 AM, Werthead said:

I tend to agree on this. And honestly...I'd rather authors say something if/when they want to have something to say instead of the teasing.  I'd take Rothfuss and GRRM over authors that tease "There's news!  But I can't tell you yet!"  Just wait and tell us when you can.

At this point, I'm more or less convinced this book isn't coming out until 2018 - that the date in the catalog was not in error. We're 6 months out - wouldn't ARCs need to be in the works relatively soon?

1 hour ago, banjax451 said:

I tend to agree on this. And honestly...I'd rather authors say something if/when they want to have something to say instead of the teasing.  I'd take Rothfuss and GRRM over authors that tease "There's news!  But I can't tell you yet!"  Just wait and tell us when you can.

At this point, I'm more or less convinced this book isn't coming out until 2018 - that the date in the catalog was not in error. We're 6 months out - wouldn't ARCs need to be in the works relatively soon?

I'd be pleasantly surprised if we get it in 2018.

I long ago moved Lynch to my "I'll enjoy it when I read it" list instead of my "OMG I need it now!" list.

• 2 weeks later...

I just walked by my bookcase and saw an open space on my bookshelf next to Republic of Thieves. I must have been a little too optimistic when I created that. I'm pretty certain now I'll see Winds of Winter and the new Rothfuss before I ever see Emberlain. 

45 minutes ago, Jerol said:

I just walked by my bookcase and saw an open space on my bookshelf next to Republic of Thieves. I must have been a little too optimistic when I created that. I'm pretty certain now I'll see Winds of Winter and the new Rothfuss before I ever see Emberlain. 

Yeah... lets not get too much hyperbole going.  While I don't see Emberlain coming anytime soon, I definitely see it coming before either of those.

On 3/28/2017 at 5:06 PM, Darth Richard II said:

Well last update Emberlain was done expect for the epilogue wasn't it?

I actually thought it wasn't even that much done. Seemed to lack an ending in general.

Given that his American publisher released the fall catalog for 2017 and that book wasn't on the list, I'm doubtful that this book is coming before 2018.  Which is fine...I'll read other things.

I'm with you on Rothfuss. I give Lynch an easier time in part because he's been open and communicative about things (to an extent). Same with GRRM. Ask Rothfuss where things stand at all and he gets p*ssy and defensive. As I've said before...we (as readers) don't have a right to books that authors are doing. We don't have a right to be upset with them about lack of progress. But we have every right to be disappointed - because that's personal. I can be disappointed that none of these books are out...what I can't do is attack the author(s) for it.

I've said a million times, I never exaggerate. 

It is correct that artists owe us nothing. It just gets a little tiresome waiting and waiting. I've got plenty to read on my iPad and in my bookshelves. I just pine for certain things, a resolution to stories that I've begun some time ago. 

On 3/31/2017 at 3:37 PM, banjax451 said:

I actually thought it wasn't even that much done. Seemed to lack an ending in general.

Given that his American publisher released the fall catalog for 2017 and that book wasn't on the list, I'm doubtful that this book is coming before 2018.  Which is fine...I'll read other things.

I'm with you on Rothfuss. I give Lynch an easier time in part because he's been open and communicative about things (to an extent). Same with GRRM. Ask Rothfuss where things stand at all and he gets p*ssy and defensive. As I've said before...we (as readers) don't have a right to books that authors are doing. We don't have a right to be upset with them about lack of progress. But we have every right to be disappointed - because that's personal. I can be disappointed that none of these books are out...what I can't do is attack the author(s) for it.

I am willing to leave Rothfuss to write in his own pace but to forgive him the absolute lack of updates.... Not so much.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived