Scott Lynch's THORN OF EMBERLAIN

Werthead

17 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Oh, don;t get me started on io9.

And yeah, I mean, even if you think Ender's Game is the best book fo all time, it certainly didn't come out in 2014 and uh, pretty sure it fits the scifi mold, not fantasy :P

Can I ask what the book he listed was that didn't exist? I'm curious now.

It may have been Republic of Thieves.  Or maybe it was Sanderson?  Can't remember - it was a few years ago.

I have REALLY gotten on io9 about how they're guilty of writing stories of "Novel/Series X is becoming a movie/tv-show!!!"  when all the news is that an option has been picked up, renewed, sold, etc.  It gets people's hopes up and then ends up in developmental hell...or was picked up to simply prevent another studio from doing anything with the series. If every series or novel that had an option picked up/sold actually was made, I'd be able to go downstairs and watch my "Red Mars" DVD set from the AMC series...and follow that with Ben Affleck's Oscar nominated adaptation of Ken Grimwood's "Replay."  To name just a few....grrrrr....

http://scottlynch78.tumblr.com/post/150016919928/hi-scott-you-might-have-been-asked-this-before

Hi Scott, you might have been asked this before, but how much of Locke's world will the GB Sequence cover geographically?

The Gentleman Bastard sequence will cover half of it. The successor sequence will open the whole thing up.

http://scottlynch78.tumblr.com/post/150056308013/hi-scott-are-eldren-buildings-and-remains

Hi Scott! Are Eldren buildings and remains exclusive to the cities of the Therin Throne or are they everywhere on Locke's world?

They’re all over the place.

31 minutes ago, Jussi said:

http://scottlynch78.tumblr.com/post/150016919928/hi-scott-you-might-have-been-asked-this-before

Hi Scott, you might have been asked this before, but how much of Locke's world will the GB Sequence cover geographically?

The Gentleman Bastard sequence will cover half of it. The successor sequence will open the whole thing up.

http://scottlynch78.tumblr.com/post/150056308013/hi-scott-are-eldren-buildings-and-remains

Hi Scott! Are Eldren buildings and remains exclusive to the cities of the Therin Throne or are they everywhere on Locke's world?

They’re all over the place.

I'll look forward to reading the other half when I'm 70.

7 hours ago, Rhom said:

I'll look forward to reading the other half when I'm 70.

I remember when he was originally projecting each book to be completed in 8 months. Which means we would've been into the 2nd series by now, had not the illness struck. Such are the dreams of young men...

Scott will be answering questions on Google Hangout on 16th September at 3.30pm (BST) as part of the Gollancz Festival Online.

Don’t miss our live Google Hangout with Elizabeth Bear,  Bradley Beaulieu, Scott Lynch, Ezekiel Boone and Mark Stay. Our authors will be answering your questions – come and say hi!

• 3 weeks later...

Which is astonishing really, considering that the book was finished and scheduled for September.

It's also not on Del Rey's schedule.

I suppose it could still be put on that list in the next few months, maybe no date has been settled yet, though we're not told why that is the case. I've still not seen a follow up post from Scott on his blog that he said back then would follow "soon". That said, I am not really anticipating this book, I'll read it when it comes out but this whole charade is just weird.

This was the problem with missing the September date. Due to the timing, most publishers are already set in their winter/spring calendars, which can get packed well ahead of time. Suddenly the delay becomes much longer than just a few months. Then you have the publisher also trying to find the right place to put a book so that it doesn't hurt sales of other titles. Plus, you have two different publishers trying to work together to get a date. And while TLoLL has sold very well, it isn't like Scott is doing Rothfuss or GRRM numbers - those are authors you get their book out asap as it'll make your year. I'm not certain that Scott's sales numbers are such that the publishers are desperately trying to move things around on the calendar.

Or maybe the book isn't as "done" as we've been led to believe. Or maybe the publisher is still trying to work something out. No reason they can't still do May or June or even July...but I think the odds are increasing that missing September may mean September 2017.

http://www.gollancz.co.uk/2016/09/scott-lynch-in-conversation-at-fantasycon-2016-scarborough-uk/

MG: And the future? You have The Thorn of Emberlain coming. Was it always a seven-book series?

SL: I might make it 49 books, Marcus. That okay? No, I’m a believer in sticking to what you say in terms of the number of books. I hit on seven as a number between three and infinity. I don’t want a series splitting and becoming unmanageable. I’m big on structure. I’m a structuralist. The number of books is significant.

With The Republic of Thieves, I gave Simon Spanton at Gollancz half the book and said, ‘Let’s end on a cliff-hanger. I’ll do part two another time.’ Simon, to his infinite credit said, ‘Let’s park that and wait till you get better. And I now see he was right.’ The Wheel of Time was meant to be a trilogy! I don’t want to do ‘Hitchhiker’s book five in the trilogy’. I want to land the thing properly in seven books.

Interesting...I think the telling quote might actually be the next section

Question from A J Dalton in the audience: Who was your favourite Doctor Who? And would you ever write a Doctor Who novel?

SL: Oh, whatever answer I give is going to be like blasphemy to some. My favourite Doctor was… Sylvester (and my second was Tom Baker). Look, I was a lonely kid. I saw the novel ‘Remembrance of the Daleks’ on another kid’s desk and the cover and style of it was fascinating, like an artefact from an alien world. It opened other worlds to me. It was a Sylvester book.

I wrote Doctor Who fanfic as both a kid and an adult. I would murder my own grandmother to write a Doctor Who novel. But I should finish my own book first, should I, Marcus?

MG: I’ll do you a deal. Hand in your own book first and I’ll introduce you to the head of BBC Books.

Maybe it's more of a joke...but that doesn't sound like the book is turned in.  Hard to set a release date if the book isn't turned in.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I finally got around to reading The Republic of Thieves just this past week. I liked it quite a lot. Just a quick skim of the last page here looks like there is some problem with Thorn of Emberlain though. Could someone please give me a quick synopsis for what's going on with it? I'd prefer not to go back through all nine pages here.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, MisterOJ said:

So, I finally got around to reading The Republic of Thieves just this past week. I liked it quite a lot. Just a quick skim of the last page here looks like there is some problem with Thorn of Emberlain though. Could someone please give me a quick synopsis for what's going on with it? I'd prefer not to go back through all nine pages here.

Thanks.

It had a release date for September (which apparently Scott thought was going to work too), then the Amazon pre-order release dates started changing and the.n it was confirmed it wouldn't be released in September. I don't think it's clear exactly what happened or why it's delayed, though it's possibly not entirely done. I don't think there is a release date now. 

Incidentally i finished Republic of Thieves last night. I enjoyed it more than I expected based on comments on this site. My favourite parts were probably the Interludes, because I feel the novels best parts are when the Gentleman Bastards are together (hence why book one is my favourite). It wasn't perfect, but i liked it more than RSURS

I enjoyed both Red Seas and Republic more than some on here did. So you're not alone in liking Republic. Most people like it more than RSuRS, though I enjoyed both. All three are very different novels, which is why I think you see so much disagreement on them.

And yes, there currently is no release date for The Thorn of Emberlain. Signs do not appear great that it is coming anytime before summer of next year.

Also, I've seen no indication that he's even started work on Ministry. Everything I read seemed to indicate he was going to do another story set in his short-story universe once he was done with Emberlain. But who knows.

I could do with a few novellas of the Gentlemen Bastards at full strength, just running cons. Given Scott's difficulties I realize that's highly unlikely of happening but still, a man can dream. 

On 10/18/2016 at 8:09 AM, MisterOJ said:

Thanks.

On 10/18/2016 at 9:29 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

It had a release date for September (which apparently Scott thought was going to work too), then the Amazon pre-order release dates started changing and the.n it was confirmed it wouldn't be released in September. I don't think it's clear exactly what happened or why it's delayed, though it's possibly not entirely done. I don't think there is a release date now. 

Scott got married and moved, so that put all of his work on standby for now. So the book is not finished, but I believe it's close. So, yes, next summer or late spring, I hope.

On 10/18/2016 at 9:38 AM, banjax451 said:

I enjoyed both Red Seas and Republic more than some on here did. So you're not alone in liking Republic. Most people like it more than RSuRS, though I enjoyed both. All three are very different novels, which is why I think you see so much disagreement on them.

And yes, there currently is no release date for The Thorn of Emberlain. Signs do not appear great that it is coming anytime before summer of next year.

Also, I've seen no indication that he's even started work on Ministry. Everything I read seemed to indicate he was going to do another story set in his short-story universe once he was done with Emberlain. But who knows.

He did say that he planning to write the novella this winter. 

I've ordered Thorn of Emberlain a month ago from German Amazon and it still hasn't been dispatched. Luckily, I'm well stocked on reading material at the moment so it's not that big of a deal but still...

3 hours ago, baxus said:

I've ordered Thorn of Emberlain a month ago from German Amazon and it still hasn't been dispatched. Luckily, I'm well stocked on reading material at the moment so it's not that big of a deal but still...

If you get the book I'll be impressed, as it hasn't been finished yet.

48 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

If you get the book I'll be impressed, as it hasn't been finished yet.

I haven't followed news regarding the book, but it said on Amazon it will be available after some date (I don't remember the exact date but it was around September 20th) and I ordered it after that date. Said nothing of pre-order or anything.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait.

Archived