"Fair Game: The critical universe around Game of Thrones".

JonCon's Red Beard

2 minutes ago, Neds Secret said:

I'm starting to suspect some sort of crowd theory or peer perception theory may be responsible. I think the show started off so strong and built up such a cult following as well as a popular following that was well deserved. Because  it was so amazingly good that once people decided that they really like this show based on the fantasy genre and they started talking to their friends and started to identify with each other as fans that people are hesitant  to now put their hands up and say that they do not enjoy it as much  anymore because they do not want to be the odd man out! I went through a period like this, I was fascinated by the show and was so impressed by it that I wanted to keep on enjoying it and I tried to ignore things that were bothering me and continued to talk it up and concentrate on the positives. Unfortunately for me I had so many problems with season 5 that I could no longer bring my self to defend it or praise it and to my horror I feel things have continued to deteriorate in season 6. This experience has caused me to carefully anticipate the fair game documentary because I am anxious to see if there are others out there have experienced a similar history with the show as I have and I'm a little excited because all the mainstream media coverage and reviews I see are still so gushing in their praise of and support for GoT causing me to feel a little perplexed about my feelings in relation to its recent content. It can be hard to be critical of GoT when everybody else you see is still raving on about how brilliant it is and how everybody they know also loves it!:(

There is partly that, being part of the group who are into Game of Thrones so you can talk about it and share your experiences is quite appealing.

My opinion is that most people don't watch the show from a book viewpoint, and watch it for pure entertainment. They don't obsess about details and aren't that fussed about plot holes or minor details, they enjoy it for what it is.

It can be hard to accept that if you are a book reader or view game of Thrones as something that should be better than most other TV. 

I also think most critics view the tv show in the same way as your everyday person watches it. Hence the positive reviews.

5 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

There is partly that, being part of the group who are into Game of Thrones so you can talk about it and share your experiences is quite appealing.

My opinion is that most people don't watch the show from a book viewpoint, and watch it for pure entertainment. They don't obsess about details and aren't that fussed about plot holes or minor details, they enjoy it for what it is.

It can be hard to accept that if you are a book reader or view game of Thrones as something that should be better than most other TV. 

I also think most critics view the tv show in the same way as your everyday person watches it. Hence the positive reviews.

That would be all well and fine, but why can't they admit that then? Instead, they ignorantly refute any legitimate criticism. And this explanation doesn't excuse the critics for ignoring obvious, and undeniable flaws found throughout the show as it is their job to critique,

5 minutes ago, Darkstream said:

That would be all well and fine, but why can't they admit that then? Instead, they ignorantly refute any legitimate criticism. And this explanation doesn't excuse the critics for ignoring obvious, and undeniable flaws found throughout the show as it is their job to critique,

Where does this actually happen however? I've not seen this at all. In fact most reviews I've read more than often point out many of the same flaws this very board does, while at the same time managing to still enjoy the show. 

25 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Where does this actually happen however? I've not seen this at all. In fact most reviews I've read more than often point out many of the same flaws this very board does, while at the same time managing to still enjoy the show. 

Oh come on, you know for a fact that it happens all the time on these forums, I've seen you on the very threads with these same fans that just "want to enjoy it for what it is" but they can't seem to do it without calling someone that critiques the show a troll. As for the critics, I can't give you any specifics because I don't read any of them, but you know as well as I do that this is a legitimate complaint.

Just now, Darkstream said:

Oh come on, you know for a fact that it happens all the time on these forums, I've seen you on the very treads with these same fans that just "want to enjoy it for what it is" but they can't seem to do it without calling someone that critiques the show a troll. As for the critics, I can't give you any specifics because I don't read any of them, but you know as well as I do that this is a legitimate complaint.

So you're complaining about how critics write their reviews.. but you've never read any?!!

1 minute ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

So you're complaining about how critics write their reviews.. but you've never read any?!!

Stop dodging and putting words in my mouth, I didn't say I've have never read any, I don't because of this very issue. I find them annoying and bias. And do you really think I have to actually read the articles to know what's being said in them. In case you haven't notice, information is quite readily available these days.

3 minutes ago, Darkstream said:

Stop dodging and putting words in my mouth, I didn't say I've have never read any, I don't because of this very issue. I find them annoying and bias. And do you really think I have to actually read the articles to know what's being said in them. In case you haven't notice, information is quite readily available these days.

I'm not dodging anything, if you don't read reviews properly then its a bit silly to complain about their content. 

Again who are these people who are "ignorantly refute any legitimate criticism"  because I don't know who you are talking about.

3 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I'm not dodging anything, if you don't read reviews properly then its a bit silly to complain about their content. 

Again who are these people who are "ignorantly refute any legitimate criticism"  because I don't know who you are talking about.

Fine, play your little games.

11 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

No, genuine question. Please answer it.

I did, do you think I'm going to give you actual names? I'll will give you credit, that was a clever tactic, the whole "don't read reviews properly" line, just not clever enough. 

ETA: 

@Channel4s-JonSnow I would also add that, as usual, you are misrepresenting what I said. I never once complained about the critics. I simply stated that the excuse you were making for them was not a valid one. 

Just now, Darkstream said:

I did, do you think I'm going to give you actual names. I'll will give you credit, that was a clever tactic, the whole "don't read reviews properly" line, just not clever enough. 

Its not me being clever. You stated that there are reviews of people Ignorantly refuting criticism. If you think that is the case you can say who they are. Even on this board I don't know anyone who does that. There are those who like the show, but even those ( I count myself among them) are able to spot the weaker elements of it and have no problem pointing them out. 

On 23 May 2016 at 2:21 AM, The Great and Mighty Poo said:

Wait people won't watch it because it's a dollar? I have no idea what it's even about but I'll probably watch it. 

It's not about the cost - many fans might not have access to a credit card / PayPal or have security concerns etc. I mean, most people that watch GOT don't even pay to watch the actual show, either because they get it as a part of their subscription or because they're one of the people making it the most pirated show on TV.

It also seems like a truly bizarre decision for a documentary that is ostensibly aimed at raising awareness about the media bias in GOT criticism. What better way to ensure that only the people who already agree with you watch your video than asking people to pay upfront for a fan video of unknown quality? Talk about comfirmation bias lol.

Theres plenty of free content that criticises the show, some of it even pretty funny. Why pay for this?

1 minute ago, Maid So Fair said:

It's not about the cost - many fans might not have access to a credit card / PayPal or have security concerns etc. I mean, most people that watch GOT don't even pay to watch the actual show, either because they get it as a part of their subscription or because they're one of the people making it the most pirated show on TV.

It also seems like a truly bizarre decision for a documentary that is ostensibly aimed at raising awareness about the media bias in GOT criticism. What better way to ensure that only the people who already agree with you watch your video than asking people to pay upfront for a fan video of unknown quality? Talk about comfirmation bias lol.

Theres plenty of free content that criticises the show, some of it even pretty funny. Why pay for this?

I understand if they'd want to get their operating costs back, but if they used it as some sort of profit making scheme then it doesn't seem like a particularly genuine piece of journalism.

3 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I understand if they'd want to get their operating costs back, but if they used it as some sort of profit making scheme then it doesn't seem like a particularly genuine piece of journalism.

I dont agree with making people pay for this but are you really implyjng professional journalists dont make money? Why im sure even your namesake wouldnt be a journalist for free.

5 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't think it's some kind of money making scheme. I believe th  creators are perfectly genuine disgruntled fans and any payment would be just to cover the production costs. I'm just saying that this move makes it much less likely that the documentary reaches its intended audience.

3 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Seeing as how i thought the last episode was one of the worst I've seen, but most people, including all my friends and everyone on social media seemed to love it, i think that just highlights that people have different expectations and ways of enjoying the show. If it's not the show you want it to be it can annoy you.

But most people don't have that expectation. 

I doubt the doc will be able to grasp that, instead turning to some insane conspiracy theory  about the banks! Lol 

really one of the worst from the series?

I think it's the best from this season by FAR.

oh my....I can't believe you didn't like it....but you are right. i probably liked it because it had a lot of Arya; Bran and the Iron Born.......and supertyrion was mocked by a woman!!!!!!!!!!! Plus....we didn't have Larry's jokes!!! jaime's jokes are superfluous to the main story and it focused a lot on the real supers of the book: arya and Bran who are normally ignored in the show.

anyway I respect the different points of view

when I watched it I thought Hodor had sacrificed so I was totally moved by it. now I know it was warged.....somehow.....by someone.......I think it's not clear how it happened. I'm posting a lot in the paradox thread and in the Bran re.read thread and still I am very confused

but......don't say it was one of the worst........^_^

1 minute ago, Meera of Tarth said:

really one of the worst from the series?

I think it's the best from this season by FAR.

oh my....I can't believe you didn't like it....but you are right. i probably liked it because it had a lot of Arya; Bran and the Iron Born.......and supertyrion was mocked by a woman!!!!!!!!!!! Plus....we didn't have Larry's jokes!!! jaime's jokes are superfluous to the main story and it focused a lot on the real supers of the book: arya and Bran who are normally ignored in the show.

anyway I respect the different points of view

when I watched it I thought Hodor had sacrificed so I was totally moved by it. now I know it was warged.....somehow.....by someone.......I think it's not clear how it happened. I'm posting a lot in the paradox thread and in the Bran re.read thread and still I am very confused

but......don't say it was one of the worst........^_^

Your post just shows how everyone is watching the show and getting different things out of it. If you are saying things like 'supertyrion' then that shows where you are coming from. Personally I thought last episode was too full of weak moments,The Kingsmoot was poorly done,  overlong scenes (arya) that didn't work, and I think the CotF look ludicrous. So yeah I really disliked it, but then it seemed to be very popular on the boards and in general, so you just can really only talk about your own opinion. 

Which is why I find this documentary a little bit crazy as a concept.

1 minute ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Your post just shows how everyone is watching the show and getting different things out of it. If you are saying things like 'supertyrion' then that shows where you are coming from. Personally I thought last episode was too full of weak moments,The Kingsmoot was poorly done,  overlong scenes (arya) that didn't work, and I think the CotF look ludicrous. So yeah I really disliked it, but then it seemed to be very popular on the boards and in general, so you just can really only talk about your own opinion. 

Which is why I find this documentary a little bit crazy as a concept.

I can't agree. Only with kingsmoot. It was much better in the books although the invebted stuff with Theon was really well done

however; although I respect everyone's opinions; I can't understand how you can find the other episodes more appealing than this one

maybe you are a fan of show Jaime or show Tyrion and this episode didn't focus on them......but don't you think it was necessary to show othrr characters storylines which will be important for the story to develop? They have their right too

btw....Arya's long shots were necessary to show that she is still Arya.

what we don't need are long shots of Jaime saying stupid things or Tyrion saying why don't we play a game? Why don't you have a cock? Every single moment....

because sarcasm is good in small quantities.

and Bran's storyline was moving and we discovered the origin of the wws. That's necesdary for the story. you normally defend those things

1 minute ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I can't agree. Only with kingsmoot. It was much better in the books although the invebted stuff with Theon was really well done

however; although I respect everyone's opinions; I can't understand how you can find the other episodes more appealing than this one

maybe you are a fan of show Jaime or show Tyrion and this episode didn't focus on them......but don't you think it was necessary to show othrr characters storylines which will be important for the story to develop? They have their right too

btw....Arya's long shots were necessary to show that she is still Arya.

what we don't need are long shots of Jaime saying stupid things or Tyrion saying why don't we play a game? Why don't you have a cock? Every single moment....

because sarcasm is good in small quantities.

and Bran's storyline was moving and we discovered the origin of the wws. That's necesdary for the story. you normally defend those things

I think the difference is I have no attachment to any characters, and don't care if they are similar to their book counterparts. So I don't really mind if Jamie is comedic relief. I do care if the episode is too full of cheesy moments which are poorly shot and written.. that is something that I dislike. I felt like the last episode had far too many of those moments. The 'play' served very little purpose and wasn't entertaining, Dany's scene was bizarrely shot and written and was super cheesy. The big reveal of who created the WW was glossed over in a poorly filmed sequence. There was a lot to dislike IMO, the ending couldn't make up for it. 

But then I found the previous episode rather excellent. So it goes to show how subjective it all is.

Archived