How did Jon get his Stark armor?

We see in the show that Snow has finally quit and plans on leaving, but he's wearing Stark armor, which to me is a bit odd. We don't see him going to the wall wearing Stark armor nor do we see any Starks visiting the wall since their demise. So the question remains, where in the world did he get that armor?

9 hours ago, Petey0707 said:

We see in the show that Snow has finally quit and plans on leaving, but he's wearing Stark armor, which to me is a bit odd. We don't see him going to the wall wearing Stark armor nor do we see any Starks visiting the wall since their demise. So the question remains, where in the world did he get that armor?

Benjens 

Can't say I remember exactly, but the only clothing I recall Jon wearing while heading to The Wall was his cloak with the white/grey fur at the top.  Mayhaps the armor was underneath the cloak?  It's just studded leather, not plate or anything.  Could easily be unnoticeable under said cloak.

I looked at the cloak Sansa wore and compared it to the one Jon had from season one and the markings looked almost identical (hard to distinguish as Sophie is much narrower than Kit), this suggests to me, that in the show, they don't discard their old clothes, they just aren't allowed to wear them. He might have taken it to the wall with him.

16 minutes ago, Mandzipop said:

I looked at the cloak Sansa wore and compared it to the one Jon had from season one and the markings looked almost identical (hard to distinguish as Sophie is much narrower than Kit), this suggests to me, that in the show, they don't discard their old clothes, they just aren't allowed to wear them. He might have taken it to the wall with him.

Although I don't think we've ever seen him wear that armor before,  this seems to be the most plausible explanation. I noticed the cloak immediately in the last episode (I'd been watching season one last weekend) and I'm at least 90% convinced they're the same.  If that's true,  he apparently was allowed to keep his personal items,  and it could well be that he brought that armor with him when he came.  

He took it with him to The Wall. A piece of Winterfell and his family to remember who he really is and where he comes from. He decided to become a brother of the NW, and other Watchmen became his new family, but just like Arya still keeping Needle, while aspiring to become No One, he couldn't fully let go of his origins/his old self, Now, that he's given up on his NW oaths and the Watchmen, his clothing changed from Night's Watch outfit to Stark armour to embody the transformation. He's back to beng Jon from Winterfell, no longer Jon from Castle Black.

26 minutes ago, watcher of the night said:

It is a coat of plates worn by stark soldiers and nobility. I have no idea why he had it on, there was no sight of battle anywhere near. Also it makes no sense to have these around CB, that would imply that stark soldiers joined the NW wearing their armour.

It's true that Stark soldiers wore similar armor. It's also true that many other people in Westeros wore the same thing. I don't see anything distinctively stark about this piece of armor. 

As for why Jon is wearing it, it might have something to do with the fact that he was just stabbed to death a couple of days ago, and there may well be people around who would do it again. 

2 minutes ago, Forlong the Fat said:

It's true that Stark soldiers wore similar armor. It's also true that many other people in Westeros wore the same thing. I don't see anything distinctively stark about this piece of armor. 

As for why Jon is wearing it, it might have something to do with the fact that he was just stabbed to death a couple of days ago, and there may well be people around who would do it again. 

Ned wore almost the exact same outfit.  It's very Stark.  And they are clearly echoing Ned in Jon's appearance- the blue shirt, brown leather, half pony-tail...it's obvious they are setting him up as Ned Stark's heir.

Just now, sj4iy said:

Ned wore almost the exact same outfit.  It's very Stark.  And they are clearly echoing Ned in Jon's appearance- the blue shirt, brown leather, half pony-tail...it's obvious they are setting him up as Ned Stark's heir.

Jon may deliberately be trying to dress like his father. But there's no reason to think this sort of armor wouldn't be available lots of places. There's certainly no reason to think it could only be gotten from Stark sources. 

5 minutes ago, Forlong the Fat said:

Jon may deliberately be trying to dress like his father. But there's no reason to think this sort of armor wouldn't be available lots of places. There's certainly no reason to think it could only be gotten from Stark sources. 

I wouldn't say that it would be available everywhere...it's clearly the style of the Starks, so it wouldn't make much sense if they had Stark clothing in, say, Highgarden.  But like I mentioned, Castle Black has been home to many, many Starks and Stark men for thousands of years...if Jon didn't bring the clothes himself, it's very likely they have Stark clothing somewhere around the place.

17 minutes ago, Forlong the Fat said:

This particular style worn by only the Starks and stark soldiers in the show. You won't find anyone else wearing it. Ned had a very similar piece (almost exact copy) when executed, how is it not distinctively Stark?

They just executed the ringleaders of that mutiny. Who in his right mind would do that again especially when the CB is full of wildlings? 

He is the Lord Commander, so he may have had the Armorer make him a fitting suit.

I dont particularly think it is a big deal. Knights are also allowed to keep their title and name, so I dont think anyone would care if LC Mormont has a bear on his armor or if Jon had a wolf on his.

Archived