How did Jon get his Stark armor?

4 hours ago, watcher of the night said:

This particular style worn by only the Starks and stark soldiers in the show. You won't find anyone else wearing it. Ned had a very similar piece (almost exact copy) when executed, how is it not distinctively Stark?

They just executed the ringleaders of that mutiny. Who in his right mind would do that again especially when the CB is full of wildlings? 

I believe that style of armor was worn by other Northern soldiers as well  - at least the armor worn by Roose Bolton and Greatjon Umber in the show is very similar.  The only real differences being that Bolton's has the flayed man sigil inscribed, and the Greatjon has some added shoulder pieces.  Can't really tell with Karstark - he had a giant chain neck piece; but, otherwise may have also had a similar coat of plates.  

So, considering that armor seems to be the "norm" in the North, I don't think it's that strange to see Jon wearing some.  

16 hours ago, watcher of the night said:

It is a coat of plates worn by stark soldiers and nobility. I have no idea why he had it on, there was no sight of battle anywhere near. Also it makes no sense to have these around CB, that would imply that stark soldiers joined the NW wearing their armour.

Exactly what I was thinking.

16 hours ago, Darksky said:

He took it with him to The Wall. A piece of Winterfell and his family to remember who he really is and where he comes from. He decided to become a brother of the NW, and other Watchmen became his new family, but just like Arya still keeping Needle, while aspiring to become No One, he couldn't fully let go of his origins/his old self, Now, that he's given up on his NW oaths and the Watchmen, his clothing changed from Night's Watch outfit to Stark armour to embody the transformation. He's back to beng Jon from Winterfell, no longer Jon from Castle Black.

Ok but where in the show does it elaborate on this? They never mention anything about keeping personal items, or bringing armor to the wall. The show and books are two separate things so I can't rely on the books material.

15 hours ago, watcher of the night said:

This particular style worn by only the Starks and stark soldiers in the show. You won't find anyone else wearing it. Ned had a very similar piece (almost exact copy) when executed, how is it not distinctively Stark?

They just executed the ringleaders of that mutiny. Who in his right mind would do that again especially when the CB is full of wildlings? 

Really? You don't think it makes sense that he has his guard up after being murdered. And with people other than the "ringleaders" still around. The show is subtly demonstrating that by focusing, in the opening scene, on his sword laying close at hand. 

Pas for how distinctive the coat of plates is, it's a piece of armor without any sort of emblem on it. It's something that could be made at castle black and a number of other places. It's just not that remarkable. 

24 minutes ago, Petey0707 said:

Ok but where in the show does it elaborate on this? They never mention anything about keeping personal items, or bringing armor to the wall. The show and books are two separate things so I can't rely on the books material.

So you're saying the show ought to convey detailed information about the storage facilities and policies at castle black?  That would be compelling television. 

2 minutes ago, Forlong the Fat said:

So you're saying the show ought to convey detailed information about the storage facilities and policies at castle black?  That would be compelling television. 

Spoonfeeding is, thankfully, not part of this show's repertoire. But each episode, there are some people in need of it.

13 hours ago, Lord of Brewtown said:

I believe that style of armor was worn by other Northern soldiers as well  - at least the armor worn by Roose Bolton and Greatjon Umber in the show is very similar.  The only real differences being that Bolton's has the flayed man sigil inscribed, and the Greatjon has some added shoulder pieces.  Can't really tell with Karstark - he had a giant chain neck piece; but, otherwise may have also had a similar coat of plates.  

So, considering that armor seems to be the "norm" in the North, I don't think it's that strange to see Jon wearing some.  

The umber armour is similar but not the same. The stark armour has a very distinctive diagonal pattern. The umber is horizontal. The boltons more of a "conquistadors in black" style. The karstarks have chainmail and gambesons.

You can see the very same stark armour on young Ned and co. at ToJ, on Ned when he is executed, on Robb during his campaign and on Jon after he resigned as LC (with diagonal pattern long coat of plates covering the knees).

2 hours ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

Any particular reason why you aren't understanding something so basic?

1 hour ago, Darksky said:

It seems like the show is too complicated for some, even when it deals with obvious and basic stuff.

Ah, the thought police has arrived. Where were you guys for so long? Here you have people asking questions about their favourite shows and people answering it! You should not allow this heresy!!! Hit them on the head with your " Any particular reason why you aren't understanding this" question a thousand times so they rue the day when they made a post on this forum!!!!

it does look like stark armor ned, robb, lots of stark soldiers.

1- it was jon's armor from before he joined the watch

2- it was benjen's armor

3- jon comissioned the armor (doubtful)

4- ned or rickard gave the watch some armour and supplies as a gift from the lord of winterfel either when jon joined the watch or before that.

5- maybe yoren or some other wandering crow purchased the armor from winterfel's armourers.

by the way, tywins armor is the best piece of armor i've seen in any show or movie. i would die kill or do lots of unsavory things for that prop.

It's a leather brigandine worn by members of House Stark (Ned, Robb), some other men in service to Winterfell (Jory Cassel comes to mind) and a ton of other nameless Stark soldiers. It's pretty distinctly Stark and it did catch my eye as well when Jon was wearing it. Previous to Jon joining the NW, I only ever remember seeing him wearing a jerkin, similar to what Bran and Rickon have worn. No real idea where he would have gotten it honestly. 

On May 21, 2016 at 11:36 PM, Lord of Brewtown said:

The Watch is, by its very nature, a charity organization. They are not picky and they take what they can get. As a charity organization, their single biggest contributor is more than likely Winterfell and it has probably been that way for like somewhere between 6-8 thousand years. I would assume that there is a ton of stark gear in their store rooms and if Jon, as LC, was about to shoe leather express it down the kings road I have no problem believing he got his hand on some of it because, ya know, Stark.

That said, good catch and the fact that it was thrown out there and not explained in kind of strange. I mean, there is simply no need for it. It is not like anyone was wondering which house Jon would feel an allegiance towards. Like someone was sitting there watching going "jon said he was going south, maybe he intends to fight for the Martells in the wars to come"

So it adds nothing to the plot or character arc while at the same time requiring an off screen explanation....best I can say is that it is just more poor writing and execution from a show which is becoming increasingly sad.

i really didn't notice the armor until this post but like i said before its not a plot hole i don't need to know how or from where jon got the armor, its not imposible for him to get that kind of armor, also i can see how after being used as a pincushion you could feel like you need more armor lol.

all in all i think is obvious that it signifies jon starting to give less fucks about the wall and more about his stark heritage (why they didn't use HIS FUCKING DIREWOLF to do that is a mistery to me. and gtfo with the "theres not money for cgi" you could get away with a big white dog and some camera trickery)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived