Ran

Just now, lancerman said:

It's one of those things where years of fan theory have built them up into something bigger than they actually are. Like the people who think Sansa has to die because Lady died.

So it's just the slow realization of the fact that D&D probably know the direwolves aren't special in any way besides being awesome? Because as any other normal fan, I love the Direwolves. How can you not? But I understand why the show isn't built around them.

3 minutes ago, Chloe.a.thomson said:

But if Summer and Shaggy Dog die in TWoW, then D&D have made the only choice they could have.

You cannot possibly think that they would keep the wolves alive just because it might upset people.

...I say with tears in my eyes.

...Summer:crying:

If they die in the books I'll eat crow, and why on earth would I think this series would keep someone around just because fans like them.  If that were the case Robb, Ned, Cat, Shaggy, Greywind, and Lady would still be alive.

1 minute ago, Alex21 said:

I cried, being honest, we deserved to konow about Hodor in the books, not in the series. Now, there is something that intrigues me.

We know now that the COTF created the Others (let`s believe that D and D are telling us the truth), one of the children states that it was because men were killing them.

How can be this possible when the Others appeared after The First Men and the COTF made peace?

Did I get something wrong, did I miss something? It seems to me the timing is just wrong

The decision to settle for peace was probably not unanimous. Some COTF wanted revenge and created the WW. That's my understanding.

So, I know this was a pretty brilliant episode, but I have to say one critical thing of the show (overall, not related to this specific episode): the dialogue is much weaker now that they don't have the text to lean on.  However, I guess the bright side is that likely means that GRRM is working on the book instead of helping D&D write episodes.

11 minutes ago, unJon said:

Hodor!

and you bookies are wrong if you think d&d invented that. That reeks of GRRM. 

I like how you are attributing an argument to a group that hasn't made said argument.

1 minute ago, Fredwin said:

So it's just the slow realization of the fact that D&D probably know the direwolves aren't special in any way besides being awesome? Because as any other normal fan, I love the Direwolves. How can you not? But I understand why the show isn't built around them.

It's just more that people think place meaning in something that isn't there. It doesn't mean they don't serve a purpose. It just means that they aren't not expendable. It's like the same thing with people taking "a Stark must always be in Winterfell" as an indication of some magic pact or something.

Sometimes things are what they are at face value.

Just now, plectrum said:

So, I know this was a pretty brilliant episode, but I have to say one critical thing of the show (overall, not related to this specific episode): the dialogue is much weaker now that they don't have the text to lean on.  However, I guess the bright side is that likely means that GRRM is working on the book instead of helping D&D write episodes.

Right, most of the dialogue is terrible, but have you noticed how it's much worse in the exposition and monologue scenes? The rest of the dialogue is pretty hit and miss, but it seems to be a tad better when there is actual scene taking place and not just a plot dump.

3 minutes ago, PirateVergo said:

If they kill Ghost I'm dropping this show.

Btw you can bet we're not gonna get the Tower of Joy scene now that Bran is out of this mess.

We may not see the rest of it right away, but I would bet money we'll see "Promise me, Ned" before the end of the season.  It would make zero sense for them to film that ToJ fight, especially the way that they did with the forcible exit, and then never revisit it.

3 minutes ago, Lord Jeffrey said:

The decision to settle for peace was probably not unanimous. Some COTF wanted revenge and created the WW. That's my understanding.

It's possible the children were desperate and never able to control them at all. So the first WW left, built an army, and hundreds of years later returned to serve it's initial purpose.

Just now, Tyrion Lannister said:

We may not see the rest of it right away, but I would bet money we'll see "Promise me, Ned" before the end of the season.  It would make zero sense for them to film that ToJ fight, especially the way that they did with the forcible exit, and then never revisit it.

It would make sense for them to tie it up in one season budget-wise. No need to pay for the cut-rate 'young' actors and for the filming location for longer than needed. I guess they could always film it now and fit it in next year though.

2 minutes ago, Tyrion Lannister said:

Bran is alone with a Reed now, maybe its time for Howland

3 minutes ago, Tyrion Lannister said:

You haven't been paying attention to how D&D tend to do things.

5 minutes ago, darksellsword said:

I said the same thing when people were convinced D&D came up with Daenerys burning the khals with the help of the dosh khaleen, the very existence of dosh Khaleen and their temple meant Dany was going to tip the table there.

Not so sure about that. I am pretty sure there must be some big scene at Dosh Khaleen. But it may not be burning down the temple.

As far as budget goes, Drogon would have been a lot cheaper than the ending they used. The whole scene is one special effect after another. Tons of CGI, miniatures, CSO. But the problem with the dragons is that they have to be used sparingly to have the visual effect. 

2 minutes ago, PirateVergo said:

If they kill Ghost I'm dropping this show.

Btw you can bet we're not gonna get the Tower of Joy scene now that Bran is out of this mess.

I never thought we would get the ToJ scene. It is quite possible that it has been shot already. They have 13 more episodes to make after this season is over so the show is fully funded to the end. Cheapest way to do the backstory is to shoot it all this season.

Where I do think they are possibly making cuts is by writing out the direwolves early. They don't seem to like the doggies. They are probably a complete PITA to film. 

So after tonight I think it much more likely than not it really was Shaggy Dog we saw last week :(

9 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

You're probably right, and it was a pretty good scene. The only part that I don't see happening in the book is Summer dying kinda stupidly, and Bran apparently not even feeling his wolf's death.

i hate how the wolves aren't important at all in the show.  i got really upset when summer died like what was the point it didn't really slow them down he could've easily just gone with bran.  first shaggy now summer wtf

2 minutes ago, Fredwin said:

It would make sense for them to tie it up in one season budget-wise. No need to pay for the cut-rate 'young' actors and for the filming location for longer than needed. I guess they could always film it now and fit it in next year though.

Just because they shot the footage doesn't mean they have to show it all this season.

One good reason not to would be to avoid leaks.

1 minute ago, Darkstream said:

You haven't been paying attention to how D&D tend to do things.

I do not get why everyone is being so negative aboout the ToJ....

We know we will see those actors again:

http://watchersonthewall.com/jonathan-pryce-hints-high-sparrows-future-storyline-polish-interview/