Ran

2 minutes ago, Darkstream said:

No, the fact the the direwolves have a significant meaning in the books is not a debatable stance. Their meaning has already been thoroughly established in book canon.

Agreed, I will say this was a powerful episode.  The Hodor thing was extremely powerful and gut wrenching.  I'm just pissed about the lack of respect for the dire wolves throughout the show.  

23 minutes ago, plectrum said:

So, I know this was a pretty brilliant episode, but I have to say one critical thing of the show (overall, not related to this specific episode): the dialogue is much weaker now that they don't have the text to lean on.  However, I guess the bright side is that likely means that GRRM is working on the book instead of helping D&D write episodes.

Totally agree, but that can't really be an excuse used for this episode. They had some amazing stuff to work off of for the Kingsmoot and it was mostly squandered IMO.

Other than that, this is probably the best episode of the season.

18 minutes ago, Lord Jeffrey said:

The decision to settle for peace was probably not unanimous. Some COTF wanted revenge and created the WW. That's my understanding.

It might be.For me this episode reveals lots of info  Still there are things unresolved, BR never revealed his identity, and Bran never got to see what really happened at the ToJ

Just now, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

Agreed, I will say this was a powerful episode.  The Hodor thing was extremely powerful and gut wrenching.  I'm just pissed about the lack of respect for the dire wolves throughout the show.  

It seems a more recent phenomenon.  Lady's death in season one was gut wrenching, and Grey Wind's death in Season 3 was equally awful.

32 minutes ago, unJon said:

Hodor!

and you bookies are wrong if you think d&d invented that. That reeks of GRRM. 

D&D specifically explain in this week's Inside the Episode that this was indeed exactly what Martin told them.  They’ve taken no liberties with his story in this regard.

1 hour ago, Tooms said:

TV shows you what matters when it matters and nothing else.

Nice quote. I think I will get some fine use out this!

39 minutes ago, Señor de la Tormenta said:

even "hodor" has been spoiled

congratulations fat lazy man. 

and

32 minutes ago, unJon said:

Hodor!

and you bookies are wrong if you think d&d invented that. That reeks of GRRM. 

Only if a door suddenly teleports its way into the cave.

38 minutes ago, Chloe.a.thomson said:

Now I am really beginning to worry that all the direwolves must die.

Yes, I agree that it appears the direwolf deaths are actually going to be "necessary" in some way. I don't think it's a show-only choice—I think it will ultimately reflect occurrences in the remaining books, and (hopefully) there will be reasons for it.

6 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

D&D specifically explain in this week's Inside the Episode that this was indeed exactly what Martin told them.  They’ve taken no liberties with his story in this regard.

I would strike out the words "exactly" and "no liberties" from your statement.

Edited by Darkstream