Ran

What is with D&D and them spoiling the story in the "Inside the Episode" stuff? I mean, I know HBO has the rights to the story, but do they really have to fuck over the book readers who don't wish to have plot-points spoiled as whether they're the genuine article or not? Are they really that dense?

Edited by xi0

Just now, xi0 said:

I mean, I'm not really interested in blindly bashing D&D as people, I prefer critiquing the show. Why do they insist on being dickish like that? So frustrating. 

That's obvious: it's so we can test out the REPORT POST and also the IGNORE USER buttons.

8 minutes ago, Alex21 said:

It might be.For me this episode reveals lots of info  Still there are things unresolved, BR never revealed his identity, and Bran never got to see what really happened at the ToJ

I don't think the 3 Eyed Raven in the show was Bloodraven.  They've never taken the time to explain the history of the Targaryens beyond the Mad King.  It would be a long exposition that most people wouldn't follow.  And I believe an episode or two ago, this 3ER said something to the effect that he's been in that tree for 1000 years - which is much longer than book 3ER (Crow).

4 minutes ago, xi0 said:

What is with D&D and them spoiling the story in the "Inside the Episode" stuff? I mean, I know HBO has the rights to the story, but do they really have to fuck over the book readers who don't wish to have plot-points spoiled as whether they're the general article or not? Are they really that dense?

Perhaps they're trying to deflect scathing criticism that they made all that up and that it's against Martin's account of things.  Which, given what happened, is not unsurprising of them, really.

2 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

That's obvious: it's so we can test out the REPORT POST and also the IGNORE USER buttons.

I get where you're coming from, but there is "spoilers" in the title of this thread :/

4 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

Perhaps they're trying to deflect scathing criticism that they made all that up and that it's against Martin's account of things.  Which, given what happened, is not unsurprising of them, really.

It all started with the Shireen stuff. Idk, seems like a ridiculous excuse if that's really their thinking. You think they'd have been made aware after last season and avoided doing that. :unsure:

36 minutes ago, Zachary Snow said:

i hate how the wolves aren't important at all in the show.  i got really upset when summer died like what was the point it didn't really slow them down he could've easily just gone with bran.  first shaggy now summer wtf

It's more of a cost thing... Having those dogs on set is expensive. You need the trainer(s) as well as adhering to the laws surrounding the use of animals. Every time you see a Direwolf on screen, you know it's meaningful because of the effort required to film with the dogs.

Just now, xi0 said:

It all started with the Shireen stuff. Idk, seems like a ridiculous excuse if that's really their thinking. You think they'd have been made aware after last season and avoided doing that. :unsure:

I don't know whether that's their thinking. If it is, then well, I can kind of see why they might be doing that.

I'm still content knowing that even thought they'll end up in the same place as the book will, that this is a mere palimpsest of the multilayered story, and that we still have great wonders we've never dreamt of in store for us.

Someday.

Two direwolves left.  They best not fuck with Ghost.  I'm becoming more and more hopeful that with Brienne going to the Riverlands we'll get some mentions of Nymeria and her pack, that Arya will actually truly and fully become No One, then is sent to carry out a mission in Westeros only to connect with Nymeria and be brought back to herself.

Just now, CrypticWeirwood said:

I don't know whether that's their thinking. If it is, then well, I can kind of see why they might be doing that.

I'm still content knowing that even thought they'll end up in the same place as the book will, that this is a mere palimpsest of the multilayered story, and that we still have great wonders we've never dreamt of in store for us.

Someday.

Hear, hear.

I expect that the "hold the door" stuff might be something we'll read about someday, but I don't remember a door being there underneath the Weirwood. So who knows...

2 minutes ago, Tooms said:

It's more of a cost thing... Having those dogs on set is expensive. You need the trainer(s) as well as adhering to the laws surrounding the use of animals. Every time you see a Direwolf on screen, you know it's meaningful because of the effort required to film with the dogs.

The Direwolves have been CGI since season 2 I believe... 

15 minutes ago, xi0 said:

What is with D&D and them spoiling the story in the "Inside the Episode" stuff? I mean, I know HBO has the rights to the story, but do they really have to fuck over the book readers who don't wish to have plot-points spoiled as whether they're the genuine article or not? Are they really that dense?

Since you just saw the episode, it's already spoiled. What are you complaining about? You want no spoilers at all? Don't watch the show from the now on, as they're way ahead in most story arcs. And it's even more inane that you would bash them for revealing this in a segment called "Inside the Episode".  Not only do you watch the episode, you watch a discussion about it by the writers. Then you complain about spoilers...

15 minutes ago, xi0 said:

I mean here's the funny thing. If they didn't say that (sort of like with the Stannis thing) all the unreasonable (read as the people in the rant and rave threads, and likeminded folks) book readers who are upset that Hodor died and what not will scream bloody murder about it and call it fan fiction and tell anyone who will listen that they are butchering the story. Which puts them in a hard place. So they mitigate that by saying, oh well it's what happened in the story we are adapting.

And I completely understand why they wouldn't give shit about the feelings of certain people who would use the lack of clarity to bash them and their show. It sucks for the rationale fans who just want to be entertained by both mediums. But I get why they want to cover their own ass.