Ran

3 hours ago, Tinker Tanner said:

So how did Hodor hear Meera? I thought at first Bran War...skin changed into (past) Hodor but Brans eyes didn't go white when Hodor's did. Did (past) Hodor do that by himself? It's not clear to me what happened. 

I don't understand what you are asking.  When Bran is greenseeing, his eyes are never opaque and he can stand.  In the litter Meera is dragging, Bran is clearly warging, the assumption being that he is warging Hodor.  Like I wrote above, my take was that he was simultaneously warging and greenseeing, and he crossed the warging of the old Hodor into young Hodor to the point where young experienced the POV of old.

3 hours ago, Nymeria Pao said:

So my husband and I have been talking about this for the past two hours.  I think when Meera tried to wake Bran and he heard her through the vision he then warged into present day Hodor and past day Hodor got warged into to too.  Does this make sense?  Then because they were linked, past day Hodor could hear Meera yelling at present day Hodor.  What makes me most upset is the thought that for the next 30 years Hodor was absolutely traumatized and he knew what was going to happen to him.  Then he had to live all those years with the Stark kids making fun of him, knowing the entire time that he would die because of them. I am also terrified to think of him showing up with blue eyes. 

Oh wow, I hadn't even thought of it like that. That's so upsetting.

3 hours ago, Tinker Tanner said:
32 minutes ago, Illiterati said:

I don't understand what you are asking.  When Bran is greenseeing, his eyes are never opaque and he can stand.  In the litter Meera is dragging, Bran is clearly warging, the assumption being that he is warging Hodor.  Like I wrote above, my take was that he was simultaneously warging and greenseeing, and he crossed the warging of the old Hodor into young Hodor to the point where young experienced the POV of old.

Oh I figured it out not long after I posted. I don't know how to delete my replies and gave up trying at about 5am. Lol

Summer's death felt insulting. It's hard enough to accept direwolves seem to be doomed in the show (and possibly the books) but at least they could give our beloved pup a more meaningful death. I get the idea was to save them time but it could have been executed a lot better in my opinion. 

I had all but given up on the show but I must admit I loved the end, Summer aside. 

I get the criticism about the time travel but I don't quite see it as that. The story revolves around magic and the book especially, around prophecies and visions of the future. Didn't the 3ER told Bran he could visit the past present and future?

I took the Hodor thing to mean that Bran just acted as a link between young Willis and his future self, giving Hodor the ability to see (and have his mind broken by) his own future without having any particular gift for it. I liked it, it shows how such "gifts" as the one Bran has, can so easily affect others, and it also shows how events and things get to be destined to be in the first place, that it's not always just a magical reenactment of something written in some divine script. 

It was very heartbreaking but beautiful at the same time, that's why I'm not surprised GRRM is behind it. 

On the other hand, if 3ER took Bran there with the purpose of Bran witnessing and understanding his role in Hodor's well...  Hodorfication, maybe he has something to do with it. 

I think people are misunderstanding the teleportation complaints. It’s not that we want to see the characters traveling but that they need to show the passage of time consistently in the show. Take Littlefinger and the wall as the most recent example. Messenger carrying news about Stannis defeat and Sansa escape would take about the same time to get to Littlefinger as it would take Sansa to get to the wall. Then, it would take Littlefinger at least a few months to assemble an army and march it anywhere near the wall. But, in the show, when we do see Littlefinger meet Sansa, it is as if only a few days have passed at the wall. This is the problem. It is absolutely fine to skip showing the journey but they must show the proper passage of time. It would be much better if Litterfinger showed up in a latter episode when Jon and co where near Winterfell or something (since it could be argued that it took Jon a long time to organize the wildlings army and march it south). The way it was presented it looks like he got to the wall in a matter of days hence the teleportation argument. And there are lots of inconsistencies like this in the show.

Edited by mnedel

1 hour ago, The_Young_Wolf_Reborn said:

So from what I have read thus far no one is really talking about it so I feel the need to bring it up, Meera killed a WW; I've convinced myself that the spear just had a DG tip but yeah

Also

They killed Summer........why? :'(

It shouldn't take much convincing as it was a DG tipped spear :lol:

Best episode in years. I was only watching the show out of idle curiosity to see where this trainwreck led... and I stumbled upon this absolute gem. It's not flawless - I can't take TV!Euron seriously, but dear god, the ending...

(As for the penis, it's clearly just the showrunners have a laugh at people complaining about boobs).

7 hours ago, plectrum said:

So, I know this was a pretty brilliant episode, but I have to say one critical thing of the show (overall, not related to this specific episode): the dialogue is much weaker now that they don't have the text to lean on.  However, I guess the bright side is that likely means that GRRM is working on the book instead of helping D&D write episodes.

Agreed, I was shocked at how terrible the writing was. Season 5 was dire (wolf) but this episode had the worst dialogue of any episode. The way Sansa talked of her injuries at the hand of Ramsay to Littlefinger was utterly appalling . I hated the whole episode. It felt rushed. A big reveal like this just hurried through. I did shed a tear when Hodor died but I was in shock. It was like watching an episode of Lost when the plot had clearly Lost it's way. And its one thing that Summer must die, but the one wolf in the show that wargs with Bran, that he hunts in at the start of his powers, just to die like that, it's totally wrong. The way Greywind died was somehow ok. Shocking like the Red Wedding but the scene build so slowly and ominously that it all worked in my opinion. 

7 hours ago, Dudu42 said:

Hodor and Summer... damn

Except Hodor's death was meaningful, interesting and heartbreaking.

Summer's death was bullshit. I envisioned the surviving Direwolves munching Ramsey alive when invading Winterfell. Only Ghost remains and there's absolute no news about Nymeria since the first season (bet she's sharing the boat with Gendry right now).

Really, Summer and Leaf could do well with some bit of self preserving instincts. The hell Summer even tried to accomplish?

Plus, the revelation that the Children of Forest created the White Walkers was quite the bomb. 9/10 for this episode, would be 10 were not for the completely unnecessary deaths. (Plus, I think Euron's is being portrayed by a fine actor, if not a bit more chubby than ideal).

Have you seen the Euron actor in Borgen? He is a fantastic actor. Maybe he doesn't look quite the right way for this part, I imagined Euron would look more like Benjen but he can sure act - if he is silly here it will all be about the direction. His co star in Borgen was that lovely girl in last seasons Hardhome that people thought may be Val

I'm so disappointed with Euron. After seeing him in the first episode (was it the first episode of the season he was in? I can't recall), I was impressed and couldn't wait to see more. The Euron we got in todays episode felt like a completely different character. Euron is supposed to be dark and mysterious and seductive and frightening. This Euron is like the comical, jovial, murder happy uncle. 

12 minutes ago, SerJimmyJangle said:

What is with the notion that Direwolves are somehow untouchable, or deserve some cheesy Independence Day style act of sacrifice?

FFS, they're large wolves, not Krypto the Superdog; Summer went out fighting, that's it.

Thank you! :bowdown:

Summer went out like a hero, protecting Bran. It wasn't meaningless or disappointing. The deaths of all of the other wolves felt more disappointing to me than Summer's.