Ran

7 hours ago, plectrum said:

It seems a more recent phenomenon.  Lady's death in season one was gut wrenching, and Grey Wind's death in Season 3 was equally awful.

agreed. I think I read somewhere that they are getting rid of all the extra cgi expenses so that they can focus on the very expensive battle scenes to come

9 minutes ago, ununsullied said:

agreed. I think I read somewhere that they are getting rid of all the extra cgi expenses so that they can focus on the very expensive battle scenes to come

After this episode I was just thinking how they must be sick of dealing with wolves.

But who needs wolves for defense when you have exploding rocks?

2 hours ago, mnedel said:

I think people are misunderstanding the teleportation complaints. It’s not that we want to see the characters traveling but that they need to show the passage of time consistently in the show. Take Littlefinger and the wall as the most recent example. Messenger carrying news about Stannis defeat and Sansa escape would take about the same time to get to Littlefinger as it would take Sansa to get to the wall. Then, it would take Littlefinger at least a few months to assemble an army and march it anywhere near the wall. But, in the show, when we do see Littlefinger meet Sansa, it is as if only a few days have passed at the wall. This is the problem. It is absolutely fine to skip showing the journey but they must show the proper passage of time. It would be much better if Litterfinger showed up in a latter episode when Jon and co where near Winterfell or something (since it could be argued that it took Jon a long time to organize the wildlings army and march it south). The way it was presented it looks like he got to the wall in a matter of days hence the teleportation argument. And there are lots of inconsistencies like this in the show.

Yeah I agree, but I can't really blame the writers in this case though. Its an inherent adaptation issue that has existed since at least the third season. You have significant characters in a notable places over huge distances and trying to move them around all within only 10 episodes a season is simply not possible. The proper passage of time wouldn't work either because realistically it would take Littlefinger about 3 to 4 weeks to get to the Wall or Moat Cailin from The Vale. But why would Sansa and Jon be at Castle Black for that long if Jon claims to be leaving? George intended his work to be unadaptable and because of this some things simply can't be done. 

6 hours ago, Dracarys Snow said:

Speaking of Sam...Not much on what's happening with him. I wish they could move things along a bit. How many more episodes do we need of Arya getting her ass kicked? I get it, training is gruesome, but...

agreed! some parts are rushed , but this, c'mon already!

5 hours ago, RadSam said:

I haven't finished reading the thread yet (this one is going off more than the others this season), I just wanted to get this out while it's in my head.

I'm sick of seeing the Waif beat Arya. Can't wait to see her (hopefully) get it. I loved seeing the play and Arya's reaction and, not to mention, Richard E Grant!

How uncomfortable for LF! It was good finally seeing him squirm a bit and having to answer for his sh*t. It could have been harsher, sure, but I liked it. As for teleporting LF.. eh. Who cares? No one wants to watch episodes of characters travelling from A to B. 

I've never liked Jorah, so I wasn't emotional during that scene at all. Hopefully he's gone for a while now.

I'm enjoying Tyrion this season about as much as I was during ADwD. Please let it pick up soon. 

Finally! Jon is actually finally leaving! I can't wait to see the Northern houses (specifically the Mormonts and hopefully the Manderlys!). 

Theon and Yara team up! I'm not really as impressed with Euron as I thought I would be. He's almost comical. He's not a man I can take seriously.

So the CotF created the WW. I've only just recently been reading into theories about them, so I found this really interesting! That was my biggest shock moment of the episode. 

Like others have been saying, if Bran has been marked, is that how they will get past the Wall? I think Bran and Meera (and possibly Benjen? Please!) will end up at Greywater. I've been saying for a long time that I think the Wall will be falling this season. If Bran leads the NK there, it could happen.

Summer! I was so excited to see Summer, then boom! RIP. I know a lot of people are complaining about how he died, but I think it was one of the better and more meaningful deaths for the wolves. He died trying to protect Bran. The others died for nothing. 

I couldn't take the 'Hold the door' seriously. I just couldn't. I remember reading a ridiculous theory about it a long time ago, so, as sad as it was, I couldn't get into it emotionally which sucked.

Overall, one of my favourite episodes this season. 

I was like 'Wha, wha, WHAAAA.." at the Euron scene. How could anyone follow his orders after a woman and a eunuch slip from his sight after the moot and make off with the entire fleet. And that scene showed that Yara still has alot of support from the Ironborn. And I'd like to know where Euron expects people to find enough wood on the Iron Islands to build 1000 ships. I think Balon was right, he did lose his senses, lol.

It wasn't that I couldn't take 'Hold the door' seriously, it was just so mind blowing. I had to watch the episode twice to get some sense from it and still really couldn't. And this has opened the door(pun unintended) to so many possibilities with Bran's character. How many other events in the past has he inadvertently influenced or is about to influence without actually changing anything in the present. It's well...mind blowing.

As for the CotF, I was more shocked that they used First Men to make them instead of changing themselves into WW. And now the significance of the dragonglass makes sense so now I wonder if Sam will find out this information at the Citadel or are we just going to get tense Tarly family drama and that's it.

And I think the Benjen hype is going to reach an apex next episode, interesting to see how living North of the Wall for the last several years has changed him.

5 minutes ago, Ludo Kressh said:

I was like 'Wha, wha, WHAAAA.." at the Euron scene. How could anyone follow his orders after a woman and a eunuch slip from his sight after the moot and make off with the entire fleet. And that scene showed that Yara still has alot of support from the Ironborn. And I'd like to know where Euron expects people to find enough wood on the Iron Islands to build 1000 ships. I think Balon was right, he did lose his senses, lol.

It wasn't that I couldn't take 'Hold the door' seriously, it was just so mind blowing. I had to watch the episode twice to get some sense from it and still really couldn't. And this has opened the door(pun unintended) to so many possibilities with Bran's character. How many other events in the past has he inadvertently influenced or is about to influence without actually changing anything in the present. It's well...mind blowing.

As for the CotF, I was more shocked that they used First Men to make them instead of changing themselves into WW. And now the significance of the dragonglass makes sense so now I wonder if Sam will find out this information at the Citadel or are we just going to get tense Tarly family drama and that's it.

And I think the Benjen hype is going to reach an apex next episode, interesting to see how living North of the Wall for the last several years has changed him.

I'm doing a re-watch soon. I'm sure I'll take it more seriously the second time around. The 'Hold the door' would have normally just made me giggle a little, but with everything else going on, it was all so emotional and dramatic that my reactions were over the top lol

I hadn't even thought of that! Surely he'll find that out. I'm actually dying to see the Citadel so I'll be disappointed if all we get is surly Tarly drama. 

I've never been one to think that Benjen is Coldhands, but I'm thinking on the show they might combine the characters. I'm fine with that. I'm fine with anything that gives us Benjen! 

22 minutes ago, Ludo Kressh said:

And I'd like to know where Euron expects people to find enough wood on the Iron Islands to build 1000 ships. I think Balon was right, he did lose his senses, lol.

It may be different in the show, but in the books the Iron Islands are so large that there are people living inland who have never seen the ocean. The biggest Island is supposed to be roughly the size of Ireland I believe. Plenty of wood for a 1000 ships.

5 hours ago, Lady Kitty Heartless said:

Though it'd be a small wonder if Melisandre interpreted her visions but R'hllor sent her false visions on purpose of converting Stannis to the religion. We shouldn't also forget that the reason Thoros was sent to Westeros was to convert king Robert Baratheon. R'hllor might actually be one of the major players of the Game of Thrones.

If R'hllor really wanted to convert Robert Baratheon, he should have sent one of his sexualiyty priestesses instead!

Great episode. I'm glad Hodor got his hero moment! 

I'm glad Dany and Jorah made up. Even though his attention was creepy to her and he initially spied on her, I always thought that he was the only one who had her best interests at heart. And how awkward was it for Daario to listen to that conversation!

I hate Sansa lying to Jon. That's gonna come back to bite them somehow.

Tormund eying Brienne was awesome! I like them together much more that Brienne and Jaime.

I enjoyed the Kingsmoot, though I do miss the crow's eye...I actually thought it clever to cast someone who looks like Theon. Also, if the plan is to have him marry Dany, I would much rather this guy do it than the character described in the books.

I don't get the need to destroy Wallis' mind.

I mean: couldn't he still be by his side with a sane mind?

Couldn't be Wallis the one to hold the door?

Was really needed to destroy his mind?

Or is all this added just for shock value?

I'm strongly leaning toward the second.

Also: Bran climbs a tower using some roots --> his dad and maaany people end killed.

Bran touches some roots in the cavern --> his wolf and many people dear to him end killed.

Boy should stay away from roots.

Edited by Alhazard

10 hours ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

From the pacing, it feels like the showrunners drew up 7 seasons; you can really see them getting to the end in that time. I'll bet the "extra" 8th season of 3 episodes is just HBO trying to hang on to their cash cow.

Yes, we are getting the principle reveals. Though it is rather frustrating to have Danny and Arya still so far from where they need to be.

10 hours ago, xi0 said:

What is with D&D and them spoiling the story in the "Inside the Episode" stuff? I mean, I know HBO has the rights to the story, but do they really have to fuck over the book readers who don't wish to have plot-points spoiled as whether they're the genuine article or not? Are they really that dense?

'Spoiling the story', by which you mean shooting down nonsense theories that GRRM wouldn't have 'written this'.

8 hours ago, Raksha 2014 said:

I don't understand why it was at all necessary to show the young man's penis close up - he was not even a minor character; and he and his appendages were insignificant in terms of the episode and the story.  Useless and gratuitous.  

The fact we don't understand it doesn't mean that there isn't a point. Remember all the whinging about 'we know Loras is gay' last season?

Since the High Sparrow is a puritanical type, it would seem likely this particular troupe is from Kings Landing and they have fled to Bravos because it wasn't safe while the High Sparrow was in business. 

I don't think anyone is giving LF the credit he deserves. Do you really believe that he showed up to meet Sansa one on one so he could be ridiculed and threatened?  He risked his life for a little alone time?  The entire point was to feed Sansa the information about her uncle bringing the Tully army back together again. That was a set up. And the fact she hid the source from Jon, prevented him from questioning the validity of it. That will definitely come back to haunt them. 

Even Sansa's "giddiness" as she shared this news with Jon was cringeworthy. She wanted to believe it so badly yet in her heart she knew LF could not be trusted which is why she lied to Jon.  

Edited by Stannis Lives

2 hours ago, RUSSELL BELL said:

Yeah I agree, but I can't really blame the writers in this case though. Its an inherent adaptation issue that has existed since at least the third season. You have significant characters in a notable places over huge distances and trying to move them around all within only 10 episodes a season is simply not possible. The proper passage of time wouldn't work either because realistically it would take Littlefinger about 3 to 4 weeks to get to the Wall or Moat Cailin from The Vale. But why would Sansa and Jon be at Castle Black for that long if Jon claims to be leaving? George intended his work to be unadaptable and because of this some things simply can't be done. 

It has less to do with that and more to do with the fact that it halts plot progression for a need to show realistic travel times. 

Is the travel time important enough that we need two or three more episodes to have that scene? I don't know. I remember in the first book Catelyn got to KL in like a few chapters when the plot necessitated it. 

10 hours ago, Tooms said:

Anyone know what 3ER was showing Bran when it all went down at the end... What was the point of all that? Was it a young Ned being sent to the Vale? What was so important about that moment that 3ER had to show Bran? Or was it just that the 3ER knows what happened in the past, he knew Bran had to be there for it to go down? Argh!

Yes, and I'll go you one better. Bloodraven brought Bran there because not only did he know Bran was destined to cause Hodor's affliction, he knew it was necessary for events to play out like they did. I also think Bloodraven knew he was supposed to die there as well and has known it all along. Seeing Rickard say his goodbyes to Ned was a nice treat for us, but the point was Bran was always going to cause hodor to be Hodor. And Hodor was always going to die saving Bran like he did. And Bloodraven always knew exactly when Bran was going to leave and he  himself was going to die.