Ran

2 hours ago, Fez said:

It may be different in the show, but in the books the Iron Islands are so large that there are people living inland who have never seen the ocean. The biggest Island is supposed to be roughly the size of Ireland I believe. Plenty of wood for a 1000 ships.

I didn't know that, makes sense. But I bet he'll have his 1000 ships within two episodes which, even with this show's propensity for timeline compression, is laughable.

I had read some "funny" theories about Hodor meaning "Hold The Door" before, but it literally broke my heart to discover the truth. The kid who plays Hodor deserves all the credit in the world for an absolutely breathtaking performance (it's far from being as easy as it looks). Just gutted Summer died this way (make the damn wolf die saving a conscious Bran from others, not wighs, a tad later and people will cry).

-> we are definitely getting Cold Hands or Benjen, I don't see how Meerah and Bran could make it otherwise. 

I don't think LF lied to Sansa, way too risky, but the fact that she didn't tell Jon she met him will haunt them... she's a Stark after all. 

I'm fine with Show Euron but they should tell show people how big the place is because it looks like a rock inhabited by 100 peasant so far... "Build me a thousand ships" sounds ridiculous. 

My main question was: who is the first Other / Night King? 

10 hours ago, Raksha 2014 said:

I'm rewatching Bran's vision of the White Walkers/wights.  He went into vision mode on his own because he was bored and couldn't awaken Bloodraven to take him on another guided tour.  

I actually think he went into vision mode by his own and tried to verify if the 3ER was conscious.

1 hour ago, Stannis Lives said:

I don't think anyone is giving LF the credit he deserves. Do you really believe that he showed up to meet Sansa one on one so he could be ridiculed and threatened?  He risked his life for a little alone time?  The entire point was to feed Sansa the information about her uncle bringing the Tully army back together again. That was a set up. And the fact she hid the source from Jon, prevented him from questioning the validity of it. That will definitely come back to haunt them. 

Even Sansa's "giddiness" as she shared this news with Jon was cringeworthy. She wanted to believe it so badly yet in her heart she knew LF could not be trusted which is why she lied to Jon.  

Agreed. Littlefinger is setting them up for something. I can see him arranging to have their party get ambushed only to be conveniently rescued by the Knights of the Vale, and thus allowing LF to gain a small amount of redemption so that he can proceed with his plan to (insert theory here)?

Also, was Bran still warged into Hodor while he was holding the door? If so, what is the impact on Bran of Hodor dying at that point? I've watched it twice and honestly don't know if he was still in him or not. Bran's eyes are still rolled back into his head leading me to believe he may still be inside Hodor.

It occurs to me that with Hodor gone, Meera desperately needs help getting Bran away from the Others and it's going to be Benjen to the rescue. And the sooner Benjen reappears, the sooner Benjen dies when the plot doesn't require HIM any longer. I feel like Benjen will get Bran to the Wall or somewhere south of it, then be killed when they get to another supporting cast for Bran. Same goes with Meera. Once Bran has other characters to interact with, she becomes useless (unless meeting Howland Reed is their plan).

7 hours ago, The_Young_Wolf_Reborn said:

So from what I have read thus far no one is really talking about it so I feel the need to bring it up, Meera killed a WW; I've convinced myself that the spear just had a DG tip but yeah

Also

They killed Summer........why? :'(

Yeah, we mentionned it. I asked the same question: turns out she had dragon glass given to them by Sam. I just didn't remember,

33 minutes ago, Ser G Man said:

Agreed. Littlefinger is setting them up for something. I can see him arranging to have their party get ambushed only to be conveniently rescued by the Knights of the Vale, and thus allowing LF to gain a small amount of redemption so that he can proceed with his plan to (insert theory here)?

Also, was Bran still warged into Hodor while he was holding the door? If so, what is the impact on Bran of Hodor dying at that point? I've watched it twice and honestly don't know if he was still in him or not. Bran's eyes are still rolled back into his head leading me to believe he may still be inside Hodor.

I`m not sure. There seems to be a resolve at some point (right before they start ripping at his face). I think Bran`s eyes are still rolled back because he is watching Hodor. 

Man, I had dreams about that episode...

1 hour ago, Big Daddy said:

Yes, and I'll go you one better. Bloodraven brought Bran there because not only did he know Bran was destined to cause Hodor's affliction, he knew it was necessary for events to play out like they did. I also think Bloodraven knew he was supposed to die there as well and has known it all along. Seeing Rickard say his goodbyes to Ned was a nice treat for us, but the point was Bran was always going to cause hodor to be Hodor. And Hodor was always going to die saving Bran like he did. And Bloodraven always knew exactly when Bran was going to leave and he  himself was going to die.

Yes. And moreover, Bloodraven is only dead in the present. Past Bloodraven can warg into the future and mentor Bran.

And it looks like the resolution of the show time travel paradox is that once events are observed, they become fixed and unalterable. So Bloodraven will know he will die after meeting Bran because he has already met him in a previous greenseeing event and Bran has told him he is dead.

So time travel is a risk. It has a cost.

What isn't clear at this point is whether the Children of the Forest are now extinct or if there is another group somewhere. 

35 minutes ago, Ser G Man said:

I suspect that the Blackfish has Riverrun, but it is under siege by Lannister forces, like in the books.  

I think it matters that adult Hodor was physically present with Bran in the present, while Bran was psychically in the past with young Hodor.  I think that there was a connection to Bran warging present day Hodor to flee while not entirely out of vision mode causing the accidental spillover into young Hodor.  

I only bring it up to say that I don't think Bran can necessarily ALWAYS affect the past when viewing past events.  

So many questions after S6E5.

Will Bran still need to find a Weirwood to access the Weirnet?

Does this mean we will see the major Riverlands themes finally, including Jaime treating with Brynden, and LS meeting up with Brienne/Pod?

Does LF now just hang out in the North with his Vale army at Mole Town? I just know that Sansa's lie to Jon about the source of the Brynden news is somehow going to cost them.

1 hour ago, Imp Beyond the Wall said:

I think it matters that adult Hodor was physically present with Bran in the present, while Bran was psychically in the past with young Hodor.  I think that there was a connection to Bran warging present day Hodor to flee while not entirely out of vision mode causing the accidental spillover into young Hodor.  

I only bring it up to say that I don't think Bran can necessarily ALWAYS affect the past when viewing past events.  

Still, being able to alter the past of someone that is near you is not small feat...

Wylis was no dim witted, so Bran can do it with anyone.

Maybe he must be near a sacred tree to do it, but still it's a terrifing power he has, being able to completely erase one's actions from history.

I would like to give the credit for such a bad writing to D&D, but I fear that this was Martin doing.

Edited by Alhazard

My random thoughts & reactions while watching....

I was screaming at my TV for Brienne to chop LF's head off. And I fell in love with Sansa just a little bit during that scene. OK maybe more than just a little. Still think she should have sliced him into many little Littlefingers.

Felt the dread when Sansa assured Brienne that Jon would keep her safe. Oh Sansa....

Arya sure isn't much of a staff fighter. But I was silently screaming for her to remember that she is not No-One, she is a wolf, and for her to stride right out the door and head for home where she belongs.

The Dany / Jorah scene didn't bother me, in fact I was glad it worked out like it did. There's no way he could stay with Dany, he would end up infecting her, her whole army, and probably Mereen too. He has to leave.

Varys getting unnerved like that by the Fire Woman was damn unusual. Wonder where that's going.

COTF creating the 1st WW... it doesn't surprise me in the big picture since I'd considered the theory for a while. But i still wasn't expecting it at that moment. I assumed they were just making a blood sacrifice to the weirwoods since that apparently used to be common. So when those eyes turned blue -- Holy Shit!

I cursed when Summer died, and then realized he's going to come back as an undead wight wolf. Oh crap.

I cursed when Hodor died, and then realized he's going to come back as an undead wight Hodor. Oh holy crap!

1. Arya----- I enjoyed the play... I have to say though... I'm such a Ned Fangirl that his part in the play literally made my skin crawl... but I think that was the point xD
I am sick and tired of her and her stick fighting scenes.... just give us a montage Rocky Balboa style and be done with it already. 

2. Danny and Jorah --- My boyfriend hated it... he said it was cheesy xD
I didn't hate it... but come on queen... if you're ordering him to find a cure at least give him some major gold or something. Cures to terminal illnesses I'm sure don't come cheap- and if anyone is going to find a cure- I'm sure Danny herself would have an easier time doing so. 
Rather than saying: IT IS YOUR DUTY TO LIIIIIIVEEEEE. 
Couldn't it be: You have been my most loyal and good vassal, it is my duty to protect you- But maybe if you could like chill in a cave or something and wait for the cure so you don't spread your sick it would be nice. 

3. I was LOVING Sansa for the most part. 
When she got the letter I felt it was strange Jon doesn't know.... I mean... everyone knows everything on the wall. You can't tell me Sansa and Brienne just left the safety of the wall to stroll on down to Barrowtown unnoticed.  When it became clear that Jon was not with her and only Brienne I thought- ohhh... she plans on doing something she would be ashamed for Jon to know- like murdering him for the crap he put her through- but this didn't happen. 

I was really disappointed she didn't tell Jon where she got the information about the Tully's- The information is clearly poison like everything else Little Finger offers- and she is setting herself up to lose Jon's trust. When Brienne called her out on this I was screaming YEAHHHHH! In the backround. 

The worst part is- even if the Tully's were willing to help- there is no way they could. 
They can't go North because of the Twins- and if you have the army leave the castle they will probably get taken down. For all we know it will be Little Finger that conquers them since Jaime is no where in the Riverlands currently. 

I guess what this was trying to show us was that Sansa herself has been through so much she doesn't know how to fully trust people any more... hopefully this doesn't come back to bite her too much. 

4. Kingsmoot: 
Does Euron openly admit to Kinslaying!!!??? And then tells all the lords "Hey! I'm gonna go murder my niece and nephew now." 
What universe is this in!? Surely the drowned god would not approve of this??? 
Since they already had taken so much of his Kingsmoot speech for him to use on the Bridge the Show speech I felt was much weaker. Everything about him is supposed to scream sexy danger- his personality is supposed to be extraordinarily beyond reason, but thats what draws people in. In truth... besides the Kinslaying- this Euron actually seems like a pretty openly logical person- which is boring. I don't have any issues with his appearance- he actually looks a little like Theon- but he needs something that makes him appear more devious. I would be totally OK with Blue lipstick or something xD

5. Bran: I'm just happy my neighbor didn't call the cops- I was screaming so much they probably thought I was dying. 

I am a little disappointed--- We waited an entire season without Bran at all- had like 3 flashbacks? and what was Bran supposed to learn again? Don't get me wrong- this episode itself was good- but I feel like the show writers thought "This is boring! No one wants more episodes of Bran having flashbacks! Lets just go the Walking Dead on Bran's plot a season early to speed things up." But yet they still keep showing Arya doing the exact same thing episode after episode after episode =/
It would have at least been nice if he learned to warg birds like he did in the book to mix up his training a little bit. 

I'm not 100% sure I understand what even happened. 
Did Bran warg young Hodor and present day Hodor at the same time? 
Or by Bran warging present day Hodor from a different timeline just indirectly show young Hodor the future and screw him up because he saw how he would die and that he had no control? 
Maybe Bran can show certain people in the past the future.... maybe he was the one showing Jojen his visions? 

I am interested in how this will play out in the books though. 
If Hold the Door is the key word I don't think that scene can happen underground with the 3 eyed crow since there is no mention of doors in the cave....
But there is one extra special magical door under the wall that would be pretty important to hold if the others were trying to get through. 

Ohhh... and of course... Suuuummmmeeeerrrrr Dx
If they're going to kill off the direwolfs I wish they would do it in a way that its significant to the plot. 

I did enjoy the episode and am looking forward to the next. 

Edit: Needed to kill an Army of typos. 
I'm half asleep and sick- so I apologize if my post is still illegible. 

Edited by Bluesnow

5 hours ago, Ludo Kressh said:

I was like 'Wha, wha, WHAAAA.." at the Euron scene. How could anyone follow his orders after a woman and a eunuch slip from his sight after the moot and make off with the entire fleet. And that scene showed that Yara still has alot of support from the Ironborn. And I'd like to know where Euron expects people to find enough wood on the Iron Islands to build 1000 ships. I think Balon was right, he did lose his senses, lol.

It wasn't that I couldn't take 'Hold the door' seriously, it was just so mind blowing. I had to watch the episode twice to get some sense from it and still really couldn't. And this has opened the door(pun unintended) to so many possibilities with Bran's character. How many other events in the past has he inadvertently influenced or is about to influence without actually changing anything in the present. It's well...mind blowing.

As for the CotF, I was more shocked that they used First Men to make them instead of changing themselves into WW. And now the significance of the dragonglass makes sense so now I wonder if Sam will find out this information at the Citadel or are we just going to get tense Tarly family drama and that's it.

And I think the Benjen hype is going to reach an apex next episode, interesting to see how living North of the Wall for the last several years has changed him.

Euron is all 'ho-ho-ho, I murdered my older brother the king, now I'll go seduce the Dragon Queen with my ships and my magic c**k', and the gritty Ironborn actually take him seriously?  Then Yara makes off with Euron's ships and he orders the Ironborn to build more?  From what trees?  How many trees have we seen on the Iron Islands?  A forest or two?  A grove?  One or two scrubby pines?  I think they're going to have to do some serious raiding of forested mainlands; but do they have enough ships left to transport the lumber they'll need to take?  And how long will all that raiding and cutting down trees and transporting the trees back to the Islands and then ship-building take?  

Euron in the books was much more menacing and convincing.  Of course, he had the magic horn, supposedly dragon-binding, to amplify his charisma, and a patch over one eye, but still...