Ran

10 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

I suspect that the showrunners may not have been pleased when Uncle Orson scathingly wrote:

But wouldn't it have been nice if HBO had presented an adult version of this masterpiece of fantasy literature, instead of giving us the lonely-14-year-old-boy's version.

This has been reasonably theorized to be a dig at Card’s genocide in Ender’s Game of the “buggers”, an insectoid, beetle-like race of space-faring extraterrestrials.

Understand that Cart quite likes A Song of Ice and Fire: notice he calls it “a masterpiece of fantasy literature”. But the show gratuitous nudity, perhaps amongst other things, seems to have rubbed him quite the wrong way.  

Then again, he's hardly alone in this regard.

:thumbsup: thank you for providing the link.

Edited by Darkstream

Some things we haven't seen yet... 

Thoughts on Jorah and Jon Connington being mashed together in the TV show? Will Jorah come across Aegon while searching for a cure? 

Also, could Brienne come across Caitlyn on her journey to the riverlands?

3 hours ago, Buck said:

Thoughts on Jorah and Jon Connington being mashed together in the TV show? Will Jorah come across Aegon while searching for a cure? 

Interesting that Brienne is being placed back to where her current storyline is in the books.  There must be something important still to happen there, hopefully with the brotherhood without banners whose story seems unfinished in the show, even without Lady SH.  I did wonder if they'd combine the stories and have Brienne become Lady SH to avenge the Starks.  I hope not.  Maybe she'll get Jaime to join the brotherhood once Cersei's prophecy plays out.

Edited by Lady Fishbiscuit

10 hours ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

Brynden, of course.

Brynden Rivers isn't just a skinchanger like Varymyr or Orell; he's a greenseer — and now, I think, one of the old gods.

A skinchanger has a second life in one of his possessed creatures, although lesser creatures’ limited wetware cannot support the host mind without it fading.

Greenseers are to skinchangers as skinchangers are to mundane mortals and other lesser creatures. The two most obvious places for Bloodraven’s mind to now reside after his body gave out is in Bran’s wetware or in the weirnet itself.  Either would easily suffice for him to explain these matters, amongst others, to Bran.

Why do you think that tree had his face, anyway?

Even when he was alive I considered him one of the old gods. The relation between greenseers, weirwood.net and the old gods is a very, very strong point for the bootstrap paradox (and for Bran causing Hodor's trauma). As you can I see, I find the last episode to be very confusing and I believe both explanations on Hodor's trauma can be true (Bran or Brynden may have caused it).

13 hours ago, Buck said:

I agree with you on the Jorah/Jon Con thing. I suspect Jorah is going to head to Westeros to look for a cure and spread the infection in the process.

I feel like we're too far gone from the RW to introduce LSH now, but I'm wondering if that's not where Sansa's storyline is going? In the books the Freys are in the riverlands laying siege to Riverrun and Jaime is sent from KL to parlay with the blackfish (i think, I zoned out during most of the riverlands), the Freys are also allying with house Manderly- although the Manderlys are going to betray them, and I think they're at Winterfell at this point. In both places, Freys keep turning up dead (LSH and Mance?).

We know Davos is about to go running around treating with northern houses (Manderly?) and Jon, Brienne, Pod, and Sansa are headed to the Riverlands. Jaime is presumably headed there too, given what we've seen in previews. [puts on tinfoil hat] what if Davos is headed to house Manderly to tell them to forge a false alliance with Ramsay at winterfell and start wacking or turning the other two allied houses. At the same time, we head to the riverlands where team Sansa starts wacking freys in the field. There's a Jaime/Brienne reunion, at which point Sansa realizes that Brienne is/was friends with a Lannister. Outraged, she commands Brienne to kill Jaime (just as LSH did), Brienne refuses and we get "Sword." Then Jaime dies at the hand of Jon or Sansa?

Fantastic episode the best of this series so far. The ending opens up so many possibilities and time will only tell about the true extent of Bran's powers. 

Elsewhere I suspect Jorah and Dany won't meet again.
From the trailer next week looks like a Lannister/High Sparrow episode cant wait.

Quick review of this weeks https://www.the-newshub.com/film-and-tv/game-of-thrones-season-6-episode-5-the-door-review

Can this topic start after the episode airs? or maybe take the play by play to a different thread? Not sure why the book spoilers discussion thread gets clogged up by a bunch of posters who feel the need to "live tweet" the episode :unsure:

Anyway, in the episode, Bran (Bloodraven?) has clearly affected the past, Bloodraven told us this was impossible, did he not? Was he lying? Or does he actually believe it to be impossible because he himself can't do it? Well, I think we've already seen Bran affect the past or at least communicate through time, and I think it happened in Jon VII of A Clash of Kings. Jon has a wolf dream in the skirling pass and sees Bran as a weirwood tree. They have a short telepathic conversation, Jon asks if he's always had three eyes, smells Bran's surroundings and bristles at the scent of death, (BR imo). Bran responds with something along the lines of "not before the three eyed crow" and "I like it in the dark, no one can see you but you can see them." Then Bran tells Jon he can have a third eye too and reaches out with a branch and pokes Jon's (ghost's) forehead between the eyes. Then Jon (still Ghost) is suddenly on the edge of this huge cliff looking down at Mance's entire host.

At that point in the story, Bran is in the crypts of Winterfell, and doesn't have the ability to skinchange into weirwoods, so I think it's yet to happen in Bran's life, but always happened in a sort of destiny paradox type of time loop scenario.

15 hours ago, A Girl is No One said:

We know Davos is about to go running around treating with northern houses (Manderly?) and Jon, Brienne, Pod, and Sansa are headed to the Riverlands. Jaime is presumably headed there too, given what we've seen in previews. [puts on tinfoil hat] what if Davos is headed to house Manderly to tell them to forge a false alliance with Ramsay at winterfell and start wacking or turning the other two allied houses. At the same time, we head to the riverlands where team Sansa starts wacking freys in the field. There's a Jaime/Brienne reunion, at which point Sansa realizes that Brienne is/was friends with a Lannister. Outraged, she commands Brienne to kill Jaime (just as LSH did), Brienne refuses and we get "Sword." Then Jaime dies at the hand of Jon or Sansa?

I think something got missed here. Sansa is sending Brienne to the Riverlands, likely with Pod. Sansa and Jon will be treating with the Northern houses to try to rally them, they are not heading to the Riverlands.

I hope it's not deja vu. Catelyn sent her sworn sword Brienne away on an errand (taking Jaime to KL) and so Brienne was not there to protect her at the Red Wedding. Now Sansa has sent her sworn sword Brienne on an errand...

On 5/23/2016 at 2:13 PM, Alex21 said:

I cried, being honest, we deserved to konow about Hodor in the books, not in the series. Now, there is something that intrigues me.

We know now that the COTF created the Others (let`s believe that D and D are telling us the truth), one of the children states that it was because men were killing them.

How can be this possible when the Others appeared after The First Men and the COTF made peace?

Did I get something wrong, did I miss something? It seems to me the timing is just wrong

Well humans are not at war with the sumatran tigers and polar bears.. Yet somehow we managing to destroy them.. CAnt really blame the COTF for trying to check humans.. even if it when horribly wrong 

on a separate note im kinda glad Sansa refused LF help as im sure that help with come at a heavy price.

9 hours ago, BloodBrother said:

Before season's end expect Arya to refuse to kill the actress.  The faceless man will send the waif after her and Arya will defeat the waif and move on.  

Expect, yes.

So far D&D have been very good at avoiding the expected. I did not expect the fire scene at the end of episode 3, I expected a dragon. I had read the 'hold the door' theories and didn't expect Hodor to be knifed until it was said.

On 25/05/2016 at 6:03 AM, A Girl is No One said:

I thought Jon & Sansa were off to the northern houses too, only Brienne is going to the Riverlands to contact the Blackfish.Thats why Jon needed that Stark cloak-he needs to look the part of Ned's son to the other Northern Lords.Ans why would Sansa's primary aim be to wack Freys? at this point its Bolton blood she's baying for.

9 hours ago, Gomagoti said:

I thought Jon & Sansa were off to the northern houses too, only Brienne is going to the Riverlands to contact the Blackfish.Thats why Jon needed that Stark cloak-he needs to look the part of Ned's son to the other Northern Lords.Ans why would Sansa's primary aim be to wack Freys? at this point its Bolton blood she's baying for.

In a preview a while back I saw her at what looked like maybe the Riverlands, but now I'm wondering if they're outside Winterfell. I do think the point of sending Brienne to the riverlands is to get back to "sword", but I can't think of anyone else who would threaten Brienne besides Sansa. Maybe Petyr?

On 5/26/2016 at 4:07 PM, darthShana said:

Well humans are not at war with the sumatran tigers and polar bears.. Yet somehow we managing to destroy them.. CAnt really blame the COTF for trying to check humans.. even if it when horribly wrong 

on a separate note im kinda glad Sansa refused LF help as im sure that help with come at a heavy price.

As far as I know the CoTF asked the First Men not to cut down their trees, when talking was not giving off any good results, the war started (correct me if I am wrong), why the COtF did not try to approach the First Men and tell them that they were not respecting the pact?? and also, maesters say that after the pact the relation between the First Men and CoTF improved greatly, those were years of peace.

LF knows how to play the game, Sansa didn't tell Jon the thruth behind the news of Riverrun and the Blackfish.

On May 23, 2016 at 8:40 PM, LyrnaSnowBunnyAvenger said:

Completely agree.  He needs to be about 20 pounds lighter, needs to lose an eye and needs to actually look scary instead of telly tubby cutey pie.  Him saying "let's go kill them" just made me giggle instead of actually being afraid for Asha or Theon.  Very poor casting.  One should not want cuddle time with Euron, one should fear him.  

And WTF is our TOJ conclusion.  Sigh.....I knew it wouldn't happen this week.  Just bitching. 

Yes, with you 100%! What a disappointment.

One of the best GOT eps. If it keeps up, this is going to be the best season.

Loving how it has been blasting the complaints, especially the preemptive ones. No Sansa forviging LF and tagging along with him, no Melisandre fucking Jon back to life, no Dany being a damsel in distress, no dragged out comeback of Jon's, no Sansa being totally fine with what had happened to her at the hands of Ramsay (she's clearly traumatised and they have wonderfully touched upon it) etc All the things the complainers had been 'predicting' and whining about before the season began.