A little late now to make a proper long comment, but I have to say this: That ball-and-chain of Benjen is a brilliant weapon to fight the White Walkers. A hollow ball filled with burning fuel, setting the notoriously flammable wights ablaze with a light touch. If that thing has obsidian spikes, it'd be a one-hit-kill weapons against the Walkers and their servants alike.

7 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Anyone else think Show!Randyll looked and acted very much like Book!Tywin?

i thought that as well... the book description of tywin was completely this dude...

though at least tyrion could talk shit back...so i was shocked sam found his sac and took the valyrian steel...i cheered!

:smoking:

19 hours ago, RadSam said:

Loved this episode. Slower than some this season, but just as good imo!

So happy that Arya is finally leaving. I was yelling at the TV for Lady Crane not to drink the poison. I wonder if Arya will go back to Westeros with the action troupe?

Margaery definitely has bigger plans. I don't think Tommen is in on them. Whether this will be what gets him killed, we'll see.

BENJEN BABY!! Has his character just been combined with Coldhands? Or was he Coldhands all along?

Jaime going to the Riverlands. Finally. Hopefull he'll remember how to not be a whipped dog. 

Dany. Yawn. How is she going to rule Westeros and it's people if she kills them all and tears down their houses? And what I've always wondered, what will happen with the Dothraki? The people of Westeros are hardly going to take to a queen with a barbarian army. They rape and kill and steal. I can't see them in Westeros.

Where will Sam and Gilly go? To Oldtown? What will Gilly do?

RE: Dany - I would be nice if she'd give the great houses of Westeros a chance, doesn't she know there are supporters? They're all going to call her the Mad Queen. I can't see the Dothraki there either. We've been waiting for it so long and I still feel like it's not going to happen.

1 hour ago, rocksniffer said:

i thought that as well... the book description of tywin was completely this dude...

though at least tyrion could talk shit back...so i was shocked sam found his sac and took the valyrian steel...i cheered!

:smoking:

Haha I love your positivity 'sniffer. I very much groaned!

I mean, Sam's a smart fella. How long does he really think he could realistically hang onto it? And for what?

A bit late, but I was only able to watch the episode today...

-The walker scene where Benjen saves Meera and Bran was a little sketchy (especially in regards to why 7 or 8 walkers seemed to be so much farther ahead of the rest of the pack), but I understand what they're going for so it's fine. Was kind of hoping it would be Coldhands instead, but I wasn't holding my breath.

-Gilly's baby finally grew up :P. No matter how you spin it, though, hasn't Sam broken his vows by fathering a child? Why does no one care about this? I can see his sister/mother not caring because they're so happy to have their "grandson", but considering how much Randyll was trying to humiliate Sam, you'd think he would mention it.

-I'm not really sure what to make of Margaery's speech. Tommen is still as easily manipulated as always, and I would really just like to see him die so we can move on. Might be I just don't like the actor, I suppose.

-What an awkward dinner. Dickon seemed cool. In fact, everyone besides Randyll was pretty cool. I get that Randyll hates Sam, but did he really have to go so far out of his way to rant about him? I wasn't too surprised that Gilly stood up to him, but I was surprised that Sam didn't say anything. As a whole, I liked this sequence (and I was really interested to see how Gilly would do at Horn Hill)... and then Sam came back and just said "Screw it, this is dumb, you're supposed to be with me Gilly, let's just run off (and not to the Citadel, I presume. The Citadel not being a good place for her is the whole reason she goes to Horn Hill). Oh, and on the way out the door, to really piss off my angry dad and his big army, let's steal Heartsbane". SERIOUSLY? Ruined the scene for me. At this rate Sam is probably just going to go straight back to Castle Black, and the only purpose of all this was to bring another Valyrian Steel sword to the Wall. :bang:

-I liked this play better than the previous one - it was nice to see Arya recognize (and late acknowledge) one of Cersei's best traits - her love for her children. But then Arya just decided to throw away all of the time she had spent at the House of B&W, as well as her goals, so she could save someone who she thought was nice after seeing her for a couple days. It's good that she's going to (presumably) actually be doing something now, but I'm disappointed by how lazy it all seems. :/ 

-Is Mace just supposed to look as ridiculous as possible at all times?  The 'standoff' between Jaime/Mace and the High Sparrow was ridiculous. And what is the alignment of the Crown and Faith supposed to mean? Are they not already aligned? Was Cersei not aligning them by allowing the faith militant to return and all that last season? It just seems like a cop out way to make the sparrows look one step ahead again, and to keep this terrible drama going. (And for the record, I don't think the High Sparrow has all the wild ambitions he's accused of... he struck me as one of the few genuine characters so far).

-Dismissal of Jaime actually makes sense. He probably ought to be executed for that, but w/ever. I guess D&D just really felt like they need to fill out his Riverrun storyline, so time to ship him off! I really hate how he and Cersei are now super close again, though. And how he just openly yells about his bastard son on the throne. As if they need to add fuel to those rumors.

-If everyone is a bloodrider, is anyone really a bloodrider? Really hoping Dany becomes a cross of Aegon I and Aerys II when she makes it to Westeros... she's really bugging me lately.

15 hours ago, draft0 said:

Did she really say that?

Must have burned it out of my brain. Catelyn Season 1  Lady Stoneheart.

I agree, but Dorne and the Iron Islands have both made a comeback in a big way. Last season I honestly thought Euron was being written out of the show altogether, yet here he is. The Sand Snakes seems to be a replacement for Aegon's invasion, leading Dorne to rebel against the crown. So both these plotlines are more important for the main narrative than we had thought.

How exactly? Who knows?

Forshadowing.

1 hour ago, Lord Krok said:

I  don't get the obsession with LSH - she was a stupid character in the books and would be just as inane in the show....a speechless zombie focused solely on revenge.

The misogynistic hate for Lady Catelyn did not expire with her first death.  She is a strong woman.  Both her post-resurrection chapters were awesome, especially the first of them.  The second left too many questions.

And she is not a zombie.  She’s not Mary Poppins, but she never was.  She is not a zombie, as Michelle Fairley herself explained.

1 minute ago, RadSam said:

Anyone else think the Wildfire shots in Bran's vision was actually a future shot of Cersei burning down KL?

It might be.  But it might also be an alternate future where Jaime doesn’t kill Aerys and so all of King’s Landing explodes according to plan. Bran intervenes and cajoles Jaime into doing the deed and saving all those people, but also condemning Bran himself to becoming the Last Greenseer.

8 hours ago, Morgana Lannister said:

I would love for it to pan out as you say in the books at least.  However, in the books, if Fate intervenes and Brienne and Jaime re-routed as it were, what will happen to Pod???  I am not sure I can trust LSH not to feel that Brienne has betrayed her and that her companions need to die in her absence.  Now one things that kept occurring to me when I read the scene and that the show reminded us of when Brienne swears allegiance to Sansa was something on the lines "I shan't ask anything of you that shall bring you dishonour" and clearly asking her to kill Jaime would amount to this, maybe thinking too much like a lawyer lol but thinking (or mayhaps grasping at straws) that this could be a loophole somehow...

If its ok for Brienne to execute Stannis when he is injured and can't defend himself in the name of Renly, then I see no problem with Sansa telling her to kill Jaime.  In fact, as Brienne (probably) knows that Jaime threw Bran out the window, Brienne should just kill Jaime of her own accord and report to Sansa the good news ("Hey Sansa, guess what I did....").

Yes, I am ready for Jaime to die (Book and Show)  :)

2 hours ago, Lord Krok said:

I  don't get the obsession with LSH - she was a stupid character in the books and would be just as inane in the show....a speechless zombie focused solely on revenge.

I think LSH is fine in the books, if for no other reason the epilogue in SoS.  I agree that she doesn't really fit in the show.  Jaime and Brienne are about to find themselves on opposite sides (again) all on their own.  He couldn't beat her with two hands, so....

I don't think the episode was that impressive. Obviously it was interesting to see the flashbacks and finally see coldhands but i was waiting for something amazing to happen. I imagine we will be waiting until around episode 8 for the big bombshell as per. I don't think that i'm going to be a fan of the faith/crown storyline. 

After seeing the flashbacks i do think it will be Bran who approaches the King of the north and tells him to bend the knee in order to keep a stark at winterfell. 

5 hours ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

It might be.  But it might also be an alternate future where Jaime doesn’t kill Aerys and so all of King’s Landing explodes according to plan. Bran intervenes and cajoles Jaime into doing the deed and saving all those people, but also condemning Bran himself to becoming the Last Greenseer.

I don't buy that. Everyone seems to have gone mad on the idea that Bran can/has influenced everything. Bran has seen what his influence does. He's not likely to do that again.

11 hours ago, Fisch said:

Thoughts while watching:

- Liked Bran's flashbacks, and the introduction of Coldhands. Pretty good opening scene, and it was nice to get flashes of the Mad King. The follow-up wasn't great, but more on that in a minute...

- Now that things are actually happening with it, I'm enjoying Arya's storyline this season. Still can't stand the Waif though. And I would say in regard to her reactions to "Cersei" that she was dwelling on the thought of having to kill someone she saw as a decent woman, not that she's about to find newfound sympathy and compassion for the woman who took down her father.

- First week: didn't care about the KL story. Week after that: didn't care about the KL story. Week after that: didn't  care about the KL story. This week: oh my god, how much less can I care about the KL story!?

To be fair, once the Tyrell army arrived, this material was very well-paced and staged. The reveal of Tommen as being on the side of the Sparrows was well-executed, and the transition into Jaime's dismissal was well-handled. On the other hand - if they're going to use the ADwD material for Brienne and Jaime anyway, what the hell was the point of the season-and-a-half detours they've both been on!?

In Brienne's case, she at least intersected with Sansa's story and had a (brief, arguably unnecessary) role in it. Jaime's excursion to Dorne accomplished nothing, and it's meant that he's spent sixteen episodes at this point coasting along with no substantial character development or change.

- Good casting on Randyll Tarly, and all these scenes were well-paced and performed. Not all that interested though.

- The reintroduction of Benjen was rather tossed-off, wasn't it? I don't understand why such big moments in this season are just being thrown out without any care or finesse. Remember how Ser Barristan was reintroduced? Where's something like that for the last full-grown Stark?

- I have the same problem with Drogon's reintroduction too. How does a dragon that big not get noticed by anyone but Dany? That whole ending felt rather underwhelming for me, compared to what I'm sure they intended with it.

Overall feeling: some good stuff, but it just felt a bit lacking IMO. Hard to describe why; things just didn't gel.

Further thought:

I don't post in the "Rant and Rave" threads, but I do read them, and someone there articulated why I think the finale this week felt so underwhelming: it happened at the wrong point in the season. Had they stuck with the books, and Dany had Drogon with her when the Dothraki horde came upon her, she could have given this speech in the very first episode, to rile the Dothraki up to march to their big camp, unite all the khals, and then on to Mereen and Westeros. With the speech being here - she's already won over the Dothraki with her fire stunt. The speech doesn't accomplish anything other than confirming a loyalty she's already won - and that we, the audience, know she's already won. It was pointless.