[Poll] How would you rate episode 605?

Ran

How would you rate episode 605?  

610 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

even though there were weak parts, like Sansa not killing Littlefinger and the whole Kingsmoot thingy, it was the best episode in this season yet. one more of the stupid dogs down and a brilliant death of Hodor who deserved nothing less. and finally more dicks! it took 5 seasons...

usually i like arya and bran least, but both storys worked out very well, especially the bran part had a good tension. i rate this episode a 10. it felt like one of the last episodes of the season. hodors death is on par with the red wedding or hardhome.

Edited by GilletteMace

46 minutes ago, Sir Drew said:

5/10

If last week showed improvement, this knocked it back down again. Emilia Clarke was really bad in her scene and the teary-eyed goodbye to Jorah had me laughing. Jesus wept, the man’s an obsessed stalker. Arya’s scenes continue to bore: now she’ boxing with the waif! The play was entertaining, but too long, and they’re dragging the life out of this stuff now.

The Kingsmoot was atrocious. From Theon upstaging Yara to Euron arriving like a drunk at a wedding, no charisma or charm, no dragon-horn. Somehow he wins the Kingsmoot, but Yara still has more supporters, enough to steal most of his ships, but it’s okay he’s going to make 1000 more with...what? Jon hasn’t changed at all, the Night’s Watch no longer votes, and Sansa has become yet another cipher in the show bleating about ‘ruvenge’.

The Others reveal...who cares? They’ve created zero tension or mystery surrounding this, nobody in that cave has been established as an interesting, sympathetic character, so why should I care about them dying? The scene where the children ‘create’ the Night’s King looked really cheesy. I wasn't too impressed by the action scene at the end: the Children’s napalm bombs amuse me more than they look cool, Summer’s death was weak and bordering on offensive, the wights are the least threatening things on the planet: one slap, I swear, and they go down.I'm pretty sure Hodor's name-origin will be different in the books. They kinda wasted Sydow. 

Emilia Clarke certainly isn't a very good actress but it also doesn't help that D&D give Daeny such cheap moments of "empowerment" and exaggerated entitlement issues.  

The scene with the play was clearly another ploy to stall the series yet again. Arya's story is a bit less entertaining (especially since her warging abilities were apparently omitted). Her Daredevil training seems pointless considering Arya can't seem to fight WITH her eyesight. 

The mythology of the Others doesn't seem very well explained and very superficial. The CoTF created the white walkers to protect the forest against men? (I really hope this isn't based of GRRM's unreleased outline of the series). The children's "napalm bombs" (LOL) also are incredibly useless. 

And is it just me or does the costume and makeup of the CoTF look cheap as hell?

I agree that Sydow was wasted. They may as well have kept the original actor. What did Bran learn from Bloodraven? Nothing. He wanted to see what was up in the Tower and was abruptly pulled from the vision. 

I think Hodor's name origin will be pretty true in the books in terms of the significance of Bran's role and the idea of the time paradox, but I'm also confident GRRM will execute the story in a much more finessed and satisfying way. 

Edited by lalunadelmar

I gave it 9/10. 

There were an awful lot of elements that I liked. The last 20 minutes were near-perfection, and almost as good as Hardhome. Genuine tension and some brilliant story-telling (which after Dorne, we shouldn't take for granted any longer), and the Hodor revelation was incredibly moving. Bran's encounter with the Night's King was brilliantly done, and the Winterfell flashback to the "Hodorization" of Wyllis was brilliant, quite simply. Fascinating also to see the "birth" of the White Walkers... very much reminded me of Prometheus, with the Engineers creating the Xenomorphs as a weapon that they couldn't control. I also enjoyed Dany and Jorah's moment, whilst Kinvara's meeting with Varys and Tyrion was also executed to perfection, without heading into High Sparrow-esque monotonous soliloquies as we've seen in previous episodes. 

That being said, it wasn't perfect - the Littlefinger scene wasn't brilliant, and I was disappointed by the Kingsmoot, but only from the moment Euron arrived, which surprised me, as I thought I'd love the character on screen. The re-birth with the quasi-Damphair was done brilliantly, but the bit about Yara, Theon, and the old "twenty good men" adage stealing a whole fleet, and Euron saying he's going to build 1000 ships... not anytime soon, mate. And as much as I loved Arya's storyline, it's starting to drag. At first, the play idea was excellent, but it really dragged on for too long - there needs to be some kind of resolution in Braavos, and soon!

This series has had a lot of stick, but for me, we're only five episodes in and it is already p*ssing over Season 2 and Season 5. 

Edited by The Dorne Ultimatum

5 minutes ago, Timett sonof Timett is God said:

if you rated it a 1 you're probably a Psychopath with no emotion or empathy.

Not only is that baseless, insulting and offensive, it would be a much more appropriate description of D&D.

Edited by Darkstream

10 minutes ago, Darkstream said:

Not only is that baseless, insulting and offensive, it would be a much more appropriate description of D&D.

didn't mean to offend, I figure if that ending didn't affect people enough to bump it to at least a 5 there's got to be some emotional issues.

I mean why even watch the show if you gave it a 1? A 1 is worse than the big bang theory or 2 and a half men.

Edited by Timett sonof Timett is God

if you rated it a 1 you're probably a Psychopath with no emotion or empathy.

That's a bit of a baseless assumption. 

For myself, the Hodor origin was the only saving grace of the episode. Elsewhere the plot didn't seem to have much significance or impact. Even the Bran storyline though interesting in terms of introducing the possibility and revelation of a time paradox, was somewhat incoherent. 

Overall I've been rather disappointed with this season and this particular episode didn't seem to really improve upon the season as a whole. While I actually didn't rate the episode a 1 (though I did give it a low rating), I can understand why the episode would warrant a 1 among other viewers (especially book readers). 

So, no, having a differing opinion from you doesn't make someone who rated the episode a 1 a psychopath.

A lot to digest in that one, plenty of highs and lows. Think I'm giving it a 7.

What I liked:

- All the stuff North of the Wall. I don't at all buy that that's how it goes down in the books (though Hodor's origin was very well delivered) but that doesn't mean it wasn't extremely well delivered. Hodor's origin was great, kudos to the people who predicted that.

- Everything from the Kingsmoot that wasn't Euron. Yara and Theon were great, and the drowning ceremony was also good.

- The red priestess and Varys. Thought that was an interesting moment.

- Sansa, Davos and Jon planning recruitment, and just everything Stark. Loved it.

What I wasn't wild about:

- Euron. Miscast IMO. I get that they're going for less cartoonish, more classic ironborn, but I'm still just not a fan. No charisma whatsoever

- Sansa and Littlefinger. Firstly because of the return of Littlefinger's teleportation device (like seriously, they could have left that an episode or two and met him on the road). Littlefinger's complete lack of a plan to handle the whole "you sent me to marry a monster" situation, and Sansa's poor decision not to make use of the quite substantial army he's got at his disposal. Still think it'll play a part.

Sidebar: Word of the Blackfish and Riverrun making its way North is interesting, looking forward to seeing where that all goes.

didn't mean to offend, I figure if that ending didn't affect people enough to bump it to at least a 5 there's got to be some emotional issues.

I mean why even watch the show if you gave it a 1? A 1 is worse than the big bang theory or 2 and a half men.

Well you continue to watch the show despite the amount of violence and sexual perversion presented. Just because you're a bit desensitized to those scenes doesn't make you a psychopath. The fact that you continue to watch the show (in spite of the very visual elements of violence) doesn't imply that you have emotional issues. So don't assume that some viewers have "emotional issues' just because they weren't as deeply affected by the Hodor scene as you were.

And despite my disappointment with the last two seasons, I continue to watch the show because certain revelations (like the idea of the time paradox) can provide significant implications for the direction of the plots for WoW and the ultimate narrative (as told by GRRM). 

Gave it a 6/10, my highest of this season so far.

I sense a pattern of rather slow/boring 40 minutes and a grand WTF moment in the final scene. But there were some good scenes in this first 40 minutes this time. The play in Braavos was enjoyable. Sansa opposing LF was also great, but how she just threw the possible support of the Vale army away was really stupid imho.

It's strange how often they manage to create good moments and immediatly ruin them again like that.

Kingsmoot was nothing but laughable. Meereen boring as always.

I don't know what to make of the whole Bran thing yet. It seemed very dramatic, but it was just to much. And I can't take rage zombie wights and fireball-throwing CotF serious.

Big pro: No Ramsay scene

28 minutes ago, lalunadelmar said:

Having a different opinion from the majority doesn't definitively make you a troll. I certainly won't dismiss or disregard anyone who thinks the episode is a 10. 

no you're right, it doesn't. But there are some that are pure trolls, and they are easier to spot after an almost universally acclaimed episode like this one. Then there are others that are utterly repetitive in their visceral dislike of the show for whatever reason, and others that have just their own addled ideas of how ratings work ( a normal distribution around 5) and so on. 

But they all ( and the prolific posting nature of the haters) do add up to a negative environment. Hardly surprising the numbers posting has dropped dramatically from last year when even outside of rant and rave one has to swim through hordes saying black is white or black might be black but will be more like blue in the book ( blessings be upon its arrival this decade) .

Of course thats what the ignore button is for and it gets plenty of use on here.

16 minutes ago, Timett sonof Timett is God said:

I was very emotionally affected by this episode, I was sad, frustrated, angry, and insulted. But the manner in which D&D decided to kill of yet another direwolf, which I have a strong emotional affection for is the inspiration for most of this emotion. Summers death was implausible and sensationalist. It was D&D's calling card of emotionally manipulating their audience for the sake of cheap shocks and high ratings.

This is just one of many problems i had with this episode. My vote of a one is certainly a valid opinion.

6 minutes ago, Rhollo said:

Gave it a 6/10, my highest of this season so far.

I sense a pattern of rather slow/boring 40 minutes and a grand WTF moment in the final scene. But there were some good scenes in this first 40 minutes this time. The play in Braavos was enjoyable. Sansa opposing LF was also great, but how she just threw the possible support of the Vale army away was really stupid imho.

It's strange how often they manage to create good moments and immediatly ruin them again like that.

Kingsmoot was nothing but laughable. Meereen boring as always.

I don't know what to make of the whole Bran thing yet. It seemed very dramatic, but it was just to much. And I can't take rage zombie wights and fireball-throwing CotF serious.

Big pro: No Ramsay scene

I think that's a really astute criticism of the season thus far. 

D&D really drag out the plots and then suddenly throw in an emotional or shocking scene to mask the overall weakness of the episode. And I certainly agree that potentially interesting moments are often ruined. 

I won't be surprised if the rest of the season plays out in the same pattern and then ends with a battle and then a cliffhanger ending about Jon's parentage.