[Poll] How would you rate episode 605?

Ran

How would you rate episode 605?  

610 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Gave it a big 5.

- Sansa is showing a bit of her season 1 'stubbornly naive and lying to family'-side. She knows Ramsay is coming for her, that there is little time. Yet she turns away an army ready to help, from a house she has family ties to. Betting that she can somehow rise the North in time (she probably will, because the show now needs it). That had me shaking my head at the screen.

- No Ghost again and another handwaved Direwolf death. D&D sadly seem to prefer spending the budget on super-zombies and dragons.

- Brans visions should have been more 'wow!'. My wife was right about the Others' origins, but it felt oddly underwhelming for both of us.

- I liked Danys scene, little cheesy but I liked it.

- Kingsmoot was ok. It was nice to see Theon come to life again, am not entirely sold on Euron yet.

- Mereen scene was boring. The moment Varys started giving lip I was counting the seconds until she'd rattle his cage. Predictable dialogue. Tyrion seem to require a 90s sitcom-style laugh track to his lines these days.

- The origin of Hodor was sad. Poor Hodor! I'd have rated that entire reveal higher if it didn't involve the casual killing of Summer, more CotF handgrenades and the swarm of super-zombies. They remind me of the Day Z (edit: 'world war z', not 'day z') zombies and that is not meant as a good thing.

Edited by lostcause
a few words

10 minutes ago, SerJimmyJangle said:

Anyone who votes 1 is just some contrarian trying to be all 'edgy' and deserves all the mockery that is coming to them.

10 for me, pace was bang-on; left me satisfied but still wanting more. Even Emilia's acting has taken an upturn.

Same could be said for someone giving it a 10.

Oh the irony.

I do hope the people who constantly tell others that they shouldn't watch something they don't like are doing so on a public forum designed for the sole purpose of sharing and discussing your thoughts and opinions. If you are so insecure in your own opinions that you feel the need to insult people, and attempt to discredit any opinion that doesn't conform to your sheep like mentality, you do have the option to not frequent said forums. Please stop with the hypocrisy.

Having slept (ended at 0305 my time here in the UK) some more developed thoughts than my early post.

Still think it's a 10.

Yes, even despite the Littlefinger Teleporter(tm) which seemingly enables him to travel unlikely distances in impossible times.

The Wall stuff has been consistently strong this season and that continued.  Sansa is growing into her role and future as Queen and is taking the lead more and more.  I do enjoy the Brimund/Torienne thing.  Loved the fact that Sansa made Jon his cloak - some of the old Sansa still lives in this new, reforged Sansa.  Dolorous Edd fantastic as always - though you have to wonder if Jon will ever see any of those left behind alive again, as the Wall is surely coming down, either at the end of this season or (more likely) in Season 7.  Sansa said all the things to Littlefinger we've been thinking - though I think ultimately she will need the Vale's armies.  Lord Commander Edd :-)

Arya's plot advanced nicely too - there seems to be genuine resentment by the Waif of her and we've seen a big fight between those two in trailers/set photos which hasn't happened yet.  From the episode blurbs (ep 6 "Arya faces a difficult choice", ep 7 "Arya makes a plan") I'm tending to think she will decide not to kill the actress and ultimately leave the House of Black and White, with Needle but on her own terms, this season.  Whether that marks her for future engifting by the Faceless Men as a punishment I don't know.  Loved her reactions to the play - clearly she is not no-one.

Kingsmoot - we kind of knew what was going to happen (or we did if we'd all read the books).  Nicely done, though, and Yara and Theon will now try to get to Dany first.

Mereen - loved the way Varys was blindsided and visibly shaken by the red priestess.  Made me wonder what will happen as different sects of that religion clearly believe they have found different Messiahs.  In real life, that usually doesn't end brilliantly, for anyone concerned.

Loved the Dany-Jorah scene.  Two good actors and they had something a little more to do than has so often been the case (yes you're a complex three dimensional character with shades of light and dark, insanity and insecurity - but just for now you're a single-minded X-machine, whatever X is at the time).  Well written and beautifully acted by them both.

White Walker origins - didn't come as a surprise that the CoTF created them to fight against men.  The last(?) of the CoTF sacrificed themselves to save Bran so clearly that relationship didn't work out in the long term.

Hodor.  This plot point was straight from GRRM (and it showed).  Brilliantly executed - that last scene was one of the most powerful the show has done.  The score, as so often this season, really added to the scene - just superb.  I have no more words for it but I will rewatch it over...and over...

Loved Max von Sydow's delivery of "No" when Bran asks "but am I ready?".  In fact I loved his delivery of every line he had.

Musings:
- now Bran has "the mark", will The Others now not actually try to kill him, but herd him south of the wall so that they can break that magic and get through the wall?  In the books there's another option (Horn of Joramun) but that's never been referenced in the show.

- Bran's abilities are still obviously raw, and his mentor died before they became mature (cf All The Other Stories Like This, e.g. Luke Skywalker - is Benjen Stark going to be Yoda? Can't really see that...)

- Very sad that Summer died.  They've not given Arya warging in the show but I hope she reunites with Nymeria somehow, though it's not clear how she'd be able to control Nymeria's Pack (if she has one in the show).  Wonder if all the wolves will die in the end.  Some obvious metaphors with the names (Ghost, Summer, Lady, Shaggydog all obvious; Grey Wind maybe less so; Nymeria least obvious of all at this point)

What I'm not quite clear on (well actually quite a bit, but in particular) is the limit/extent and nature of Bran's power.  He seems to be a mechanism where different places/times can bleed into each other - Bloodraven knew he had to take him back so that Hodor could bleed into Wylis, and vice versa, as the last thing necessary to keep him alive for the next little bit.  But it all feels very raw and uncontrolled.  Will he influence something that happens at the Tower of Joy? Probably not - but you don't just drop an ability like that into the plot for no reason, and I can't wait to see what that reason is.  Well, OK, that's going to be a season 7 thing isn't it...

Watching this and previous season made me feel like Arya watching theatre trope making parody of Game of Thrones events, ( fart jokes, tits, bad characterization, cheap laughs....)

It is really sad, considering how good start they had with earlier seasons for example when i remember death scene of Lady , Grey Wind were done great, emotionally and impactful. in contrast with Summer and maybe Shaggydog,  not to mention that then plot made sense...

1/10

16 minutes ago, Eltharion21 said:

Watching this and previous season made me feel like Arya watching theatre trope making parody of Game of Thrones events, ( fart jokes, tits, bad characterization, cheap laughs....)

It is really sad, considering how good start they had with earlier seasons for example when i remember death scene of Lady , Grey Wind were done great, emotionally and impactful. in contrast with Summer and maybe Shaggydog,  not to mention that then plot made sense...

1/10

Great point, I remember thinking the exact same thing. I thought this was the one scene that was OK, because it was the only scene that came off like it was intended. The rest of the series shouldn't invoke the same response from me as a parody does. Aside from this episode, which mostly evoked anger, I usually can't stop myself from laughing at how dumb the writing is.

Edited by Darkstream

Solid 10, the only thing I disliked was Summer's underwhelming death. I'm ok with the wolf dying to protect Bran, but given that he tore this assassin's throat back when he was a pup, I expected one grand final stand from the Direwolf... like facing an other who managed to go through the door or something. 

Edited by The Imp slap

I gave it a 10, completely blocking out a few weak points. The LF scene was not well done.

When it was over I was shaking. The last scene was deeply shocking. I grieve for Summer, but at the heart of a direwolf you find a brave smart dog and that is what brave dogs do. I didn't find it cheap or wasted at all. I certainly didn't want it to happen, but I knew from the beginning that these were not lapdogs.

Some major plot points finally revealed. Still digesting the implications if the children of the forest and their responsibility for the WW. 

Rated this episode a 6. The show is losing the depth it had. Fantasy and melodrama are replacing good writing and storytelling.

I hate hackneyed sentimentality. Daenerys commanding Jorah to go find cure was at 90's Disney movie level sentimentality. Atrocious writing and acting imho.

I understand that magic is part of the deal, but the last scene devolved into a superhero movie. I was waiting for the incredible hulk to jump in and save the day. The spider zombie types crawling along the ceiling at same pace as the souped-up-roid-rage-running zombies and all that burrowing through the roots of a tree annoyed me so much (permafrost!!!). It detracted so much from the scene. Never mind those bloody fire ball things. Also, why were they faffing around the cave greenseeing when they knew the white walkers were coming? Why didn't Bloodraven warn Bran about being touched by the Night King? 

There were plenty of positives. The growth of Sansa for one, the appearance of more Stark character flaws was great. Bran killing Hodor to save himself was dark, although he better show some bloody guilt later. The mummers play was fantastic, Arya's reaction is setting up a major Stark vs faceless people dilemma.  

It is hard to accept that the show is not what it was/could be. Maybe it is being tailored to a broader audience now. I'm not sure if it is down to the lack of book content and poorer writing as a result, if it is a deliberate attempt to grow ratings, or something else. But accept it I must. It is still easily better than 95% of current TV.

Ok had a bit of time to gather my thoughts.

My copy was quite low quality so I'll try and watch a good one later to try and see if it changes my mind, but I'm still pretty unhappy with the things that happened in this episode, mainly because the pacing seemed all over the place.

- Sansa: Well I didn't mind this part, felt a little forced but it was to have that interaction between her and LF and really making it clear that Sansa is pissed at him and wants him to pay for what he did. I also liked that she lied to Jon, seems an interesting twist. It all felt rather plot heavy though, like they needed to hit a number of plot points, and couldn't do it elegantly.

- Arya: This seemed to go on forever, and I don't know why it was necessary. Why have more fight training? We've seen that so many times already. Faceless man talk was cool. But the Troupe.. I dunno.. something really off about it, and it went on SO LONG. I love Kevin Eldon (who played Ned Stark) but his presence here was wrong, it was too over the top and unrealistic, it didn't feel like a play from medieval times, it felt like a modern sketch show. What was the point of showing the entire Stark storyline on screen? The whole section could have been done in a couple of minutes really. 

- Dany. What was up with this. It as cheesily horrible, and poorly shot and directed. Felt so soapy. So now all Jorah has to do is go away again and get cured? Ugh.

-Bran. Ok I don't know what to think about this, it might be better on rewatch, but my inital thoughts are it was incredibly rushed, for what is some MASSIVE bits of information, to screw it up in the way they did was pretty annoying. The WW's origin is  important, so why show it in a such a shoddy way. Ok the COTF look like Star Trek aliens, which I don't like, but they shoved in the way they did it in such a clumsy manner. And now the 3 eyed raven is dead.. was that all he does?! I liked the Hodor reveal, but it doesn't make up for the cheesy Doctor Who style ending. 

14 minutes ago, SerJimmyJangle said:

How, you do know what contrarian actually means, right?

And you do know that he/she was making a generalization of your argument, right?

If you assert that giving a one is wrong for x reason, the same argument can be made for giving a ten for y reason.

Again, with the hypocrisy. 

Edited by Darkstream

32 minutes ago, MagNidge said:

I understand that magic is part of the deal, but the last scene devolved into a superhero movie. I was waiting for the incredible hulk to jump in and save the day. The spider zombie types crawling along the ceiling at same pace as the souped-up-roid-rage-running zombies and all that burrowing through the roots of a tree annoyed me so much (permafrost!!!). It detracted so much from the scene. Never mind those bloody fire ball things. Also, why were they faffing around the cave greenseeing when they knew the white walkers were coming? Why didn't Bloodraven warn Bran about being touched by the Night King? 

Well, reasons are clear for me. Three-eyed reaven want's to transfer as much knowledge to Bran as possible. This cannot happen instantly and takes time. He knows that white walkers are coming, but without that knowledge Bran is useless.

On the other hand, Hodor had to become Hodor :( I.e., he had to hold that door.