[Poll] How would you rate episode 605?

Ran

How would you rate episode 605?  

610 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

7 hours ago, HoldTheDoorHodor said:

I voted as a solid 6. It wasn't good and it wasn't bad. All it did was bring more questions to the table than it did answer them. 

If you voted a 10 you seriously need to sit down and think about your critique a little more. A 10 would be the best episode you've ever seen in your life, going above and beyond what you thought possible or perfect. 

your description of a 10 is wrong

Before I give a mark, please bear in mind that I was one of the unfortunate people to get caught by those spoiler articles whilst trying to find the episode online so it may have numbed some of the emotional impact of the last scene for me.

Here is what I liked:

-The origin of the WW's is interesting and makes sense for the show even if does feel a little thrown together. I hope we see more elaboration on this somehow.

-Arya's parts were entertaining but the cock part was unnecessary and I feel like her storyline doesn't connect with the rest of the show very well.

-I actually really liked the scene between Kinvara and Varys. Somehow it reminded me of when the show had clever dialogue and she acted it well.

-The tension as Bran walked through the Wights (great scene that one).

-The origins of Hodor's name, tragic as it was.

Here is what I didn't like/hated:

-The Kingsmoot was absolutely awful. I don't know what were thinking when they cast Euron but he's fucking terrible compared to the books and doesn't even look or talk like a leader you could take seriously. All the dick jokes were pathetic as well.

-The dialogue in general still feels pretty dumbed down for the most part. A lot of Sansa and Brienne's lines were pretty awkward this episode.

-Summer's death just felt too flippant to me, it didn't have the impact of Greywind's death or Shaggydog's head being thrown on the table. It just felt off to me anyway.

-I realize they are on a much tighter budget than generic Hollywood actions films are generally made with but did the CGI in the last scene feel really off to anyone else? The Walkers looked kind of odd to me and the Wight's even more so. That Child of the Forest didn't look right when she was being stabbed to death either, I can't explain why.

So I'm going to give it a 5/10. Maybe that spoiler tainted things unfairly but I also could have scored higher score if I didn't still feel like the dialogue has just fallen apart so much.

34 minutes ago, Darkstream said:

So what would you vote an episode like he described on a scale of 1-10?

If 10 is practically unobtainable as a score, then the maximum feasible score is actually 9.  But then - was this REALLY a 9, could it not have been improved at all, hmmm, better make the maximum actually obtainable an 8...no, hang on...and so by infinite descent (well, nine steps of descent anyway) you can't logically give any score...

Less flippantly, this argument - is the maximum ever attainable - is not new, nor is it constrained to episode ratings (think figure-skating/gymnastics scores, where for a time it was practically impossible to attain the maximum score).

My own view is that to the extent ratings make any sense (and objectively they don't - as this thread and its compatriots from other episodes prove, the same episode will attract wildly different ratings - my own view is that this was a 10 but that view is no more or less valid than someone who, say, thought it was a 3 or a 4), the top score has to be realistically obtainable.  In my view this episode hit that mark even though there were things (like the Littlefinger Teleporter) I didn't like so much.  Your view may differ.  That's fine.  The world would be dull indeed if we all agreed on everything.

I gave it a 10 because even with a few niggles I thought it was one of the very best episodes Game of Thrones has had (and obviously I'm into Game of Thrones or I wouldn't be watching its sixth season).  If you don't think that it was then give it a lower score.  Neither one of us is more or less right than the other - scores are by their nature subjective.  I enjoy reading views which differ from my own - sometimes I will change my mind based on what I read, though I don't think anyone can write anything which will change the fact I enjoyed that episode as much as any episode of Game of Thrones.

Something I find interesting is the idea of rating GoT and some other great series - say, The Wire (to my mind the best television yet created) side by side.  Could I conceive of a scale to rate episodes on in that context?  Honestly, I'd struggle, because they are such wildly different animals - it would be like saying is the best of this cat breed better or not as good as the best of this dog breed.  It's still all opinions, though, nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by Emanresu

The Iron Islands stuff was an absolute joke. The Kingsmoot was goofy as hell and then somehow they just slipped out of the harbour with 50+ ships and nobody raised the alarm? Laughable.

Most of the rest of it was solid to great though. Sansa vs Baelish was one of the all-time best scenes in the show. The Bran section was very well done too. And solid work with Arya and Dany.

Gave it 8 overall.

17 minutes ago, Emanresu said:

If 10 is practically unobtainable as a score, then the maximum feasible score is actually 9.  But then - was this REALLY a 9, could it not have been improved at all, hmmm, better make the maximum actually obtainable an 8...no, hang on...and so by infinite descent (well, nine steps of descent anyway) you can't logically give any score...

Less flippantly, this argument - is the maximum ever attainable - is not new, nor is it constrained to episode ratings (think figure-skating/gymnastics scores, where for a time it was practically impossible to attain the maximum score).

My own view is that to the extent ratings make any sense (and objectively they don't - as this thread and its compatriots from other episodes prove, the same episode will attract wildly different ratings - my own view is that this was a 10 but that view is no more or less valid than someone who, say, thought it was a 3 or a 4), the top score has to be realistically obtainable.  In my view this episode hit that mark even though there were things (like the Littlefinger Teleporter) I didn't like so much.  Your view may differ.  That's fine.  The world would be dull indeed if we all agreed on everything.

I gave it a 10 because even with a few niggles I thought it was one of the very best episodes Game of Thrones has had.  If you don't think that it was then give it a lower score.  Neither one of us is more or less right than the other - scores are by their nature subjective.  I enjoy reading views which differ from my own - sometimes I will change my mind based on what I read, though I don't think anyone can write anything which will change the fact I enjoyed that episode as much as any episode of Game of Thrones.

Something I find interesting is the idea of rating GoT and some other great series - say, The Wire (to my mind the best television yet created) side by side.  Could I conceive of a scale to rate episodes on in that context?  Honestly, I'd struggle, because they are such wildly different animals - it would be like saying is the best of this cat breed better or not as good as the best of this dog breed.  It's still all opinions, though, nothing more, nothing less.

I think you missed my point. I was pointing out the hypocrisy of others giving a score of a perfect ten (which they have every right to) for a show that has undeniable flaws, and then telling others that they are wrong to vote a one. 

Edited by Darkstream

I've watched it twice now and I gave it a 9, this season is rapidly turning into the best of all in terms of fast paced, story progression and shocking twists.

I thought the whole episode was so well done, apart from perhaps the Dany/Jorah scene but then the mad queen is one of my least favourite characters so I am biased. The Kingsmoot I thought was really good, the play really good, funny but also strong under tones and clearly a test for Arya, that ending though! So gut wrenching and tragic, it made me well up.

P.s don't feed the trolls they live empty lives and gaining a response from others fuels their self-importance, ignore them and they will stop eventually.

8 minutes ago, Davrum said:

The Iron Islands stuff was an absolute joke. The Kingsmoot was goofy as hell and then somehow they just slipped out of the harbour with 50+ ships and nobody raised the alarm? Laughable.

Most of the rest of it was solid to great though. Sansa vs Baelish was one of the all-time best scenes in the show. The Bran section was very well done too. And solid work with Arya and Dany.

Gave it 8 overall.

Out of interest have you read AFFC? Just my opinion but I thought they nailed it pretty well.

I give it a 1; I don't appreciate being called a psychopathic troll, but I'll just ignore that.

There are reasons I gave it a one. I've always had a problem with this kind of time travel; in order for Hodor to have become the way he is, Bran needed to be in the Cave to Warg Hodor through time. But in order for Bran to get to the Cave, Hodor needed to be Hodor in order to take Bran there.

But I have an issue with that whole situation in the courtyard; so many people were there, hearing Willas (what was wrong with 'Walder', by the way?) shouting "hold the door", eventually degrading it into 'Hodor'. Old Nan was there too. So, why doesn't anyone know the story of the whole 'Hodor' thing? All I could think during that was this moment from the books:

No one knew where "Hodor" had come from, she said, but when he started saying it, they started calling him by it. It was the only word he had.

I know, the show is not the books, but that's just such a little thing that didn't need to be changed. No one knew, except for Old Nan herself and a courtyard full of people. Sure.

The creation of the White Walkers was interesting enough, but I have a few questions; was that Obsidian that they shoved in him to turn him into a White Walker? If so, why would they be weak to it? But the other question, why is Leaf so strong? The rib cage of a human is very, very strong; but Leaf can just push that dagger through him like he's made of butter.

Everything about the attack at the Cave struck me as strange; I always disliked the Skeleton Wights, for one thing. The fireball rocks looked absurd, the Wights were the least physically powerful things I've ever seen, Meera cutting that one down like it was nothing, for instance. Yet, the can push their way through the rock and into the cave? I don't see why Summer had to stay back; that brought them like half a second extra time. I also don't see why Leaf had to sacrifice herself; if she'd just thrown the fireball stone thing she would've had the same effect. But the biggest issue is that Bran and not-Bloodraven were asleep during it. Why? In the books, Bran hears Jojen calling him back when he's in Summer; he heard Meera calling him eventually in this episode, but why-oh-why did he decide that Warging Hodor in the past and present would be a good idea? He could've just woken up, surely. Unless it was all the Three Eyed 'Raven's' idea; he certainly knew that he was about to die, so he obviously knew what was happening outside the tree dream.

I thought the play was quite amusing; but then there's "no-one" standing there with a completely disapproving look on her face. She doesn't even try to hide her emotions. Why she thinks that the Faceless Men will ever buy her act is beyond me.

I agree with the consensus about the Kingsmoot. Euron didn't strike me as particularly charismatic; but not only that, he also admitted to killing the man who was not only the King of all of the people standing there, but his own brother. I guess the whole Kinslaying thing being a horrible, horrible crime and sin in all cultures and religions has simply gone out the window. "No man is so accursed" and all that. Yara would've been completely within her rights to call for his execution before being Queen. The man murdered their King, his own brother, and nobody cares. Completely absurd.

The Sansa and Jon parts were nice, I suppose; though Littlefinger's appearance was rather unnecessary, if you ask me. But they weren't nice enough to offset any of the rest of the episode, which I simply didn't like.

So, there you are. 1 out of 10.

2 hours ago, lostcause said:

Same could be said for someone giving it a 10.

Doesn't work that way. The majority of people gave it a ten. As of right now 99 people gave it a 10. 67 gave it a 9. 46 gave it 8. 

Its not a contrarian opinion or people with an alternative motive when that's the consensus opinion. 

No other score broke 20 yet. The closest is 17 people that voted 1. 

Everybody else isn't trolling 17 people. 

35 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Doesn't work that way. The majority of people gave it a ten. As of right now 99 people gave it a 10. 67 gave it a 9. 46 gave it 8. 

Its not a contrarian opinion or people with an alternative motive when that's the consensus opinion. 

No other score broke 20 yet. The closest is 17 people that voted 1. 

Everybody else isn't trolling 17 people. 

You need to come to the realization that having a differing opinion than the majority is not what a troll is. You guys need to give it a rest already .

Edited by Darkstream

1 hour ago, TheSmallOther said:

Well, reasons are clear for me. Three-eyed reaven want's to transfer as much knowledge to Bran as possible. This cannot happen instantly and takes time. He knows that white walkers are coming, but without that knowledge Bran is useless.

On the other hand, Hodor had to become Hodor :( I.e., he had to hold that door.

And the way the found to show us 3ER transferring a massive amount of important knowledge to Bran was to have him showing Bran a vision of his dad leaving for the Eyrie???? Is that really the kind of useful information that you have to transmit at all costs?

If they had at least shown us Bran having various short flashes of different memories before this particular one , I could be OK with the "transferring as much knowledge as possible while we still have time" approach. But that's clearly not what was shown on the show, only what was told by the producers to justify it.

I gave this episode a 3

Edited by Valetudo

7/10 The highest score I gave this season.

Not enough can be said about direction and editing of this episode. Both shone during (c)drowning of Euron and during the last scene, of course. Beautifully built up drama. 

However, writing still remains the weakest link of the show. Idiotic sentences like: "Where are my niece and nephew? Let's murder them." threaten to kill all the good work director, actors, picture editors, designers etc. did. This episode reminded us how emotional we can get when we care about a character and when that character's story grows before our eyes. Seems the writers were shaken by our comments. Up to a point. 

Points off for yet another Littlefinger's teleportation and yet another fight between Arya and waif. Way too repetitive. Pointless at this stage. As for LF, why not put him in each scene of a show. That would at least be funny. Omnipresent due to D&D teleport.

What also made this episode strong is absence of King's Landing plot where nothing has been happening for a long while. No character development, a lot of character regression. The plot is not moving. Happy to see Jaime and Brienne will be in the Riverlands soon. Blackfish is always a bonus.

Points off big way for not explaining who the man in the tree was. That was a huge mistake on many levels.

Points also off for killing Summer (note the name) in such a marginal manner. This is yet another proof of how untalented D&D are as writers. They concentrated on Hodor's story and they did pull through, but at the expense of neglecting Summer and Bloodraven. 

All in all, it was watchable, but Jon, Davos and Mel had no purpose at all. Again, bad writing.

ETA: Almost forgot. Creation of the Others was poorly done, which reinforces my belief that D&D just skimmed over the books. Defies logic of the narration. And finally, points off for showing a close up of a penis for no reason other than to refute criticisms about too much female nudity. 

Edited by Modesty Lannister

I gave it a 10 after watching it last night, even though I was watching a download that had poor sound, so I had to struggle to catch the dialogue. I thought it was terrific, everything from the burlesque that Arya watches at the start, and its lovely nudity, to the finale with "hold the door." The only nit I really have is with the consistently bad dialogue they keep giving Theon. The Kingsmoot was well enough realised, except for some truly awful speech-giving, but I'm not letting that affect my overall score.

Edited by The Killer Snark

1 minute ago, Barristan Whitebeard said:

Nice to see 86% of the voters giving the episode an 8 or above. Once again it proves that the "show is shit" crowd is just a very vocal minority.

Why do you care who is in the majority? Do you work for D&D? This is a forum where we all have the right to express our opinions. Some of us think we should justify it, some don't, which is also fair enough. But, keeping score is over the top imho. 

It's also worth pointing out that all of you ranting about the majority, are not actually a part of the majority. The majority of people on here giving high votes state what they enjoyed about the show without disrespectfully insulting anyone that doesn't agree with their opinion.

Edited by Darkstream

36 minutes ago, JonSnowed said:

Out of interest have you read AFFC? Just my opinion but I thought they nailed it pretty well.

I didn't hate the Kingsmoot but it was nothing like the books. 

I gave it a 8.5 up to 9. Only thing I purely disliked was Summer's death which was poorly done.