[Poll] How would you rate episode 605?

Ran

How would you rate episode 605?  

610 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I really really really don't even feel like trying to explain this one.  

When Hodor getting a heroic death (and that small statement, stripped of all the context around it) is the only positive thing I can say, they done fucked up.  

Sansa?  Makes no damn sense.  Arya isn't fucked up, but is unremarkable.  Dany if full WTF.  Tyrion is full WTF (although damn, Conleth Hill acted the shit out of that IMO). Bran is ultra super dooper WTF.  

When the show is this focused on a few storylines, and I can't begin to explain the actions of some of the main characters of the episode (Sansa, Tyrion, Night's King, Bloodraven, Iron Islanders), I'm going to give it a horrible damn rating.  

Like seriously, Sansa is trusting Littlefinger's word that Riverrun has an available army, but can't trust Jon?  WTF.  WTF.  WTF.

Normally, I can at least vaguely see where I think the showrunners are trying to go (but that I think they either fail at, or its just a stupid ass direction to go).  But I have nothing here.  

And of course, they have everyone's favorite Wight's. 

Spider Wights! Spider Wights! Does whatever a Spider can!
Crawls on walls. Stabs at dogs. Breaks down doors.
Look out, Hold the Door HODOR!

(think of Spiderman theme)

3 hours ago, JonSnow4President said:

When Hodor getting a heroic death (and that small statement, stripped of all the context around it) is the only positive thing I can say, they done fucked up.  

Sansa?  Makes no damn sense.  Arya isn't fucked up, but is unremarkable.  Dany if full WTF.  Tyrion is full WTF (although damn, Conleth Hill acted the shit out of that IMO). Bran is ultra super dooper WTF.  

When the show is this focused on a few storylines, and I can't begin to explain the actions of some of the main characters of the episode (Sansa, Tyrion, Night's King, Bloodraven, Iron Islanders), I'm going to give it a horrible damn rating.  

Like seriously, Sansa is trusting Littlefinger's word that Riverrun has an available army, but can't trust Jon?  WTF.  WTF.  WTF.

Normally, I can at least vaguely see where I think the showrunners are trying to go (but that I think they either fail at, or its just a stupid ass direction to go).  But I have nothing here.  

I found the show so much more palatable when the wights acted like wights. It was more nuanced, more poignant when they were creepy and looked like dead people with perhaps one mortal injury that has been reanimated (undead) , not like skeletons with Spider-Man abilities and terminator strengths. When they acted and looked like dead humans with slightly less than human strengths it just seemed so much more realistic (as odd as that sounds) but seeing them as dead humans with blue eyes that were still almost human made them seem a lot more chilling and spooky to me,. Yet again D$D chose to go down the cheesy cake road!

15 hours ago, Trebla said:

So you loved season 2 of The Wire?

Season 5 is easily the weakest imo due to the focus on newspaper and McNulty's shenanigans with the serial killer. Still had plenty I liked though (Michael's arc & Bubbles for example).

I'm pretty fond of season 2 personally. 

16 hours ago, Ingelheim said:

Killing Summer (the same applies to Shaggydog) is just a side-effect of CGI costs, I'm sure of it. This Season's episode 9 must have taken tens of millions of dollars, they need to reduce costs.

It's sad as fuck, though.

You might be right, but I think that's a very bad excuse.

There is enough CGI budget for misc stuff like endless armies of CGI skeletons, CotF fireballs or a 3 second shot of castle stokeworth but when it comes to putting a Direwolf on the screen from time to time, they get stingy ?

These priorities seem a bit strange to me.

5 hours ago, JonSnow4President said:

I'm curious to hear you elaborate more. What do you mean by this character or that character is WTF?

Are you referring to their acting or their story line? 

On 5/23/2016 at 10:58 PM, Daniel Tarly said:

Only people who have never read the books or are casual watchers would like this episode. Or people who are such fanboys they are blind.

The Bran Stark Plot now rivals the Dornish plot for stupidity.

Oh Daniel...poor poor Daniel.  Most of us HAVE read the books perhaps way before you did and/or many more times than you did but you're compelled to continue to live in a bubble of hate.  Can Dan or Dave write as well as George, NO WAY!  Have they been able to translate a lot of George's writing to screen, some yes, most not in the least. George wrote episodes in the past and those were fantastic.  The show is by no means a horrible translation.  There are some silly interpretations that make no sense, yes.  But this last episode was great!  You want to make fun of it all you want, by all means do it, sense of humor is great and laughing at one self is the first step to proving you have a sense of humor.  But CLEARLY there were MAJOR book reveals in that episode.  I have no doubt it will be as traumatizing and effective again when we read it by the true creator.  But your blind hostility at many people who did like the episode is just boring and reveals a lot about you, not us.

3 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Season 5 is easily the weakest imo due to the focus on newspaper and McNulty's shenanigans with the serial killer. Still had plenty I liked though (Michael's arc & Bubbles for example).

I'm pretty fond of season 2 personally. 

Agreed. Even then, season 5 of The Wire is vastly superior to 99% of everything else on TV.

The newspaper story at least had many interesting points to make about modern journalism that tied nicely into the overall themes of the show.

And in season 2, the tragedy of the Sobotkas has an almost Shakespearean air about it. Taken individually, 2 and 5 are almost certainly the weakest and 4 is a standout extraordinary achievement. Taken as important parts of the whole, the issues with 2 and 5 become somewhat irrelevant.

3 hours ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

I'm curious to hear you elaborate more. What do you mean by this character or that character is WTF?

Are you referring to their acting or their story line? 

Storyline.  With a few exceptions, the acting on this show is top notch.  But great acting can't save a bad story/dialogue. 

1 hour ago, JonSnow4President said:

Storyline.  With a few exceptions, the acting on this show is top notch.  But great acting can't save a bad story/dialogue. 

It really made no sense to me for Sansa to send away Brienne just to check.  A raven would do the trick.  She isn't in hiding anymore; so she doesn't have to be so secretive.  It's a plot tool to get Brienne to the Riverlands but a flimsy one IMO.  Brienne has a long and dangerous road from CB to Riverrun.  Thank goodness for teleporting!

I am using a modified Season 5/6 scale.  This is probably the best episode of those two seasons, so I gave it a 9.  It would be a 7 on the original GoT scale.

Until the last sequence, it was excellent other than Euron.  He is awful. 

LittleFinger and Sansa almost made that mess from last season worth it.  He small council meeting was great too.  

Tyrion and Varys worked. It was nice to see him put in his place by someone.

Kingsmoot was terrific until Euron bumbled into it.

The pre-Aliens part of the Bran sequences were great.

21 hours ago, SuperMario said:

For the people who give it 10s, you basically are saying it was a perfect episode with zero flaws. Even biases aside, I hope you realize practically no medium - book, show, movie, video game, art, etc. - is perfect. Flaws can be found in every single thing. From where my avatar comes from, people have said Super Mario Brothers 3 is a perfect game. Yet, even the creator himself has said he wishes he would have done things differently with it.

But back to the show, if you take your emotion out of it and look at it objectively, how can you possibly give it a 10? You essentially are saying that they perfected the episode and nothing could make it better. If you think that is perfection, I'd like to see how you respond to something that is actually perfect. Your heads might explode.

We are not objectively apraising the value of a piece of fine art here to attach a $ amount. We are subjectively providing an indication of how much we enjoyed this particular episode. We are random people giving comments on the interwebs.
We can't (nor shouldn't) take emotion out of it. It is precisely our emotional response that these forums are gauging.

A 10/10 is not saying the episode is perfect in every way. It is saying that what flaws are there (and there are several) did not impact my enjoyment of this episode, that despite Littlefinger's apparent teleporting I still thoroughly enjoyed this hour of television. I personally didn't give it a 10 but can see why many did.

A 1/10 is saying that you derived no pleasure, enjoyment nor entertainment what so ever from this episode. That some (fairly minor) niggles with plot or televisual logistics negated all positive aspects of the episode. Sure the show makes mistakes, continuity errors and takes shortcuts sometimes - every show does but we look past them as much as we can.

Episodes should rarely be getting 1s or 10s. If you're scoring episodes 1 for more than half a dozen in a row, then you probably shouldn't be watching as you are not enjoying the show. If you're scoring them 10 every week then you're probably taking some happy pills.

10 minutes ago, DarkSister1001 said:

It really made no sense to me for Sansa to send away Brienne just to check.  A raven would do the trick.  She isn't in hiding anymore; so she doesn't have to be so secretive.  It's a plot tool to get Brienne to the Riverlands but a flimsy one IMO.  Brienne has a long and dangerous road from CB to Riverrun.  Thank goodness for teleporting!

It makes sense for me, but not for the reasons Sansa stated. "The raven could be intercepted" WTF does that mean. It's not like Ramsay has any control over that, he doesn't have archers waiting to bring down any raven they see. I hope.

But it makes sense for Sansa to send Brienne there. First of all, any letter can be forged. The Blackfish could not (and likely he would not) believe any letter written by Sansa Stark, for all that matters, she's dead to him. Few people know Sansa is up North, and I doubt the Blackfish is one of them. He needs to hear it from Brienne; he probably knows Brienne served Catelyn so that helps as well. Also, Brienne can explain how things are going in the North far better than any letter would.

8 minutes ago, Ingelheim said:

It makes sense for me, but not for the reasons Sansa stated. "The raven could be intercepted" WTF does that mean. It's not like Ramsay has any control over that, he doesn't have archers waiting to bring down any raven they see. I hope.

But it makes sense for Sansa to send Brienne there. First of all, any letter can be forged. The Blackfish could not (and likely he would not) believe any letter written by Sansa Stark, for all that matters, she's dead to him. Few people know Sansa is up North, and I doubt the Blackfish is one of them. He needs to hear it from Brienne; he probably knows Brienne served Catelyn so that helps as well. Also, Brienne can explain how things are going in the North far better than any letter would.

That's true.  I was leaning too much on Sansa's reasoning instead of figuring it out for myself.  Thanks!

On 24/05/2016 at 4:29 PM, DarkSister1001 said:

That crushed me.  If Bran is echoing the Last Hero, Summer had to die.  I had seen those theories and hoped with all my heart it wasn't true.  :( 

That probably means Meera is on borrowed time too?

On 24/05/2016 at 4:52 PM, Nymeria's pack said:

PS. I have spent the better part of an hour reading through posts on here because I like to read other people's points of view, and there are a lot of posts because I don't get to see the show until a day or two after everyone else. Spending a third of that time reading 'ur a troll' 'no, ur a fanboy' is not fun, although I'm getting better at skipping those posts. 

Trawling through the trolls (who aren't trolls anyway, they just happen to have an opinion so there!  :P)

22 hours ago, Trebla said:

So you loved season 2 of The Wire?

Season 2 of The Wire was excellent television, when compared to other shows. It just wasn't as compelling as the other seasons, it didn't compare as poorly to the other seasons as some episodes of GOT have, but it was still great TV,  the other thing that made The Wire so good was consistency. Even relatively minor characters like Bubbles or Omar had you cheering for them, because of the high standard of writing staying high throughout.

22 hours ago, kd18 said:

7 hours ago, Neds Secret said:

I found the show so much more palatable when the wights acted like wights. It was more nuanced, more poignant when they were creepy and looked like dead people with perhaps one mortal injury that has been reanimated (undead) , not like skeletons with Spider-Man abilities and terminator strengths. When they acted and looked like dead humans with slightly less than human strengths it just seemed so much more realistic (as odd as that sounds) but seeing them as dead humans with blue eyes that were still almost human made them seem a lot more chilling and spooky to me,. Yet again D$D chose to go down the cheesy cake road!

I agree with all of this post. Well put.

In my opinion, there are valid reasons why someone would rate this episode 1/10, and  valid reasons why someone would rate this episode 10/10. Doing so doesn't make that person a troll or an unintelligent fanboy. If someone's enjoyment of the show has been ruined by the decline in the show's writing, giving 1/10 is understandable. If someone really enjoys the show, and doesn't care about the show's plot holes and inconsistencies, giving 10/10 is also understandable.