[Poll] How would you rate episode 606?

Ran

How would you rate episode 606?  

462 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

4 hours ago, God-Emperor of Yi Ti said:

well the only people who know Sam stole  [as opposed to being given) it are his immediate family. 

How many will know the other thing if RT has to go off galloping with a bunch of his men to oldtown on a sword hunt?

His immediate family and the servants, they were there serving dinner when Lord Tarly made it clear that he would never touch Heartsbane. I am sure they would notice it missing and spread some rumors.

On 31/05/2016 at 9:33 PM, DarkSister1001 said:

Lord Tarley - I expected him to be a HUGE dick.  I was not disappointed.  Lady Tarley is adorable!  I love the way little Sam lite up and went to her easily.  Kids and dogs know a persons true self. 

That little kid was brilliant!

Gave the episode an 8 because, without analysing at all, I just enjoyed it.  And it's nice to have a breather without anyone dying especially after the horrors of last week. 

Really happy to see Benjen again and very pleasantly surprised to see the Mad King. And overjoyed to see Needle!

It set up a lot for next episodes and I'm so looking forward to seeing the Blackfish, Jaime, the Freys, Brienne and possibly even the BWB converge around Riverrun. 

6/10. This has to be the most poorly written "hit" tv show on the air right now. I'm really at a loss. Without the books as blueprint, the show's writing is floundering like an armless man who fell off a cruise ship. If you want to watch a tv show that actually has great writing, that values substance over jet packs and deus ex machina, watch "The Americans" on FX. That is what writing is supposed to look like.

On 5/30/2016 at 4:45 AM, Emanresu said:

Some more developed thoughts (my first reaction was posted at 0315 my time here in the UK and I was a little tired).

After last week we were always going to get a step-back, take-a-beat, exposition episode. I enjoyed it just as much though and it set so much up for the rest of the season.

Bran's visions were too fast to see much but you can find stills from it at http://imgur.com/gallery/5WMdv/new (you have to click once more to load all the others up). I'm taking this as Bloodraven's "final upload" to Bran.

There's a bunch of stuff we've seen before: Bran being pushed, Red Wedding, Hardhome and so on. Take this as Bran being caught up on what's happened back at the ranch while he's been gallivanting up north.

But there's also a bunch of stuff we haven't:

- several wildfire shots. Recall that the Mad King wanted to use this to burn King's Landing and Jaime killed him to stop him (we see Jaime doing this in some of the flashback frames). My personal theory is that this feeds forward into something we will see this season, Cersei losing her battle against the Faith and using that wildfire to burn Kings Landing herself. The books foreshadow this (lots of comparison of her green eyes to the green of wildfire, her character to wildfire and so on). Everyone thinks we'll get the big battle in Ep 9 and then the Wall coming down in Ep 10. Me, I'm not so sure. I think the Wall may not come down till next season, and Cersei will burn Kings Landing this season. Either Tommen or Jaime will try to stop her and will kill her, fulfilling the prophecy (more likely Jaime).

The other sequence is Young Ned and then his bloody hand over what looks like an amateur C-section wound and what is clearly a woman's hand. I take this as being him cutting Lyanna open to deliver Jon and making some promise to her (that he would tell Jon his true parentage - which he never did - or something else that's influenced him heavily throughout). I think we will see this in longhand (as it were) ep 10.

Well, that' s a lot of words for the first ten seconds or so of the episode, isn't it. I'd best speed up a little.

They've merged Coldhands and Benjen for the show (GRRM has said Benjen is not Coldhands in the book, and Coldhands is scared of fire but ColdBen clearly isn't). His backstory (CoTF using dragonglass to "save" him) is probably what Coldhands' backstory will be something like in the books, though. Thought that bit was brilliantly conceived and acted. I found myself wanting Bran to show Meera some affection, but also wondering if "becoming" the new Three Eyed Crow moves him a little past being wholly human.

Then the Tarlys. A bit overlong? Maybe but established a lot of backstory. Sam's Dad almost undid everything that the Wall had done to Sam, but then New Sam came back, took the girl, the baby and the sword. Yay New Sam. Gilly standing up for Sam was also great. Dickon was less of a, well, Dick(on), that I'd expected - maybe they figured that one massive weapon in the family (I mean Sam's Dad, not the sword) was enough.

Arya not killing Lady Crane was very predictable but I liked the way they did it - beautifully acted by all concerned and Lady Crane finished the job of Arya deciding that she's Arya, and not no-one.

At this point it looks like that means the Faceless Men will try to kill her. However I wonder if Jaqen doesn't really mind which one dies - the Waif is clearly not no-one either as she holds a personal grudge against Arya, and no-one wouldn't do that. It might be that the Waif's death will pay for the missed kill and Arya will just be banished rather than on a permanent kill list. If not, though, Arya will likely die next season (I think she's got more to do before that happens) at the hands of the Faceless Men. Which will make me Very Sad Indeed.

Margaery is so faking it (as my kids would put it), and probably abandoning Loras in return for her own freedom. By doing so and convincing Tommen (who isn't capable of faking it - he's a True Believer(tm)), she has also established her own power base in King's Landing, entirely independent of both Lannisters and her own house. The High Sparrow is the consummate politician - but so is she. I'd have preferred Lancel to tell Jamie that he slept with Cersei and have Jaime storm off to the Riverlands (in the books, Jaime is cold to Cersei at this point), but oh well.

I liked the Frey scene. He's going to get his, no question. And next episode we get Blackfish and (almost certainly) further Houndly Goodness, so that's something to look forward to.

Is it just me, or did no-one actually die this episode? Wights are already dead, they don't count...

Oh and Dany channelling her dead husband was a bit of nostalgia - Drogon done grew some, didnee - she used the same words as Drogo did in Vaes Dothrak in Season One, more or less, and now has them totally on board with getting on these thousand ships she doesn't have.

If only someone was coming over the sea with a thousand ships.

In the books I suspect she marries the relevant Greyjoy then gets rid of him/he dies somehow. Can't imagine her getting on with Euron though...Yara?

I can also see Cersei burning Kings Landing and then Dany landing there to find it all burned down. Remember her vision in the House of the Undying - the iron throne in a burned out, roofless room and flakes of snow falling through...gawd, maybe she burns it ep 8, Battle of the B'stards ep 9, Dany landing ep 10 plus Tower of Joy.

The more I think about I the more I don't see how they have time to fit everything in and the wall come down this season. I could be wrong about much of the above and that, though, so we'll see.

I think the promise was that he will hide Jon's family tree from Baratheon.  Lyanna had to know being a Targaryan would be a death sentence when Robert takes the throne.

3/10.

because of the usual: tons of plotholes and inconsistencies, meaningless and poorly motivated plot points, lazy writing through and through. So many scenes were similar to scenes we had already seen, many actors seemed to struggle with the point the scene they were in was trying to make. Watching the show is a bit like watching a very old animal having trouble to walk straight - you would laugh if it wasn't so sad.

1 hour ago, Gargarax said:

3/10.

because of the usual: tons of plotholes and inconsistencies, meaningless and poorly motivated plot points, lazy writing through and through. So many scenes were similar to scenes we had already seen, many actors seemed to struggle with the point the scene they were in was trying to make. Watching the show is a bit like watching a very old animal having trouble to walk straight - you would laugh if it wasn't so sad.

Cersei and Jaime are always on point though. Very true to the books

4 minutes ago, Rhaegar the Unworthy said:

Cersei and Jaime are always on point though. Very true to the books

Ehm ... you are being sarcastic, right? Anyway, I don't expect characters to be true to the books, I'm happy if they are true to logic :)

Season 6, ep. 6: I'm giving this a 7. Most of the stuff was decent; but the proportions were off. For example, I liked watching Sam's family; but it went on longer than I think Sam's importance warrants. Daenerys, on the other hand, was -- although exciting enough -- so short as to be almost perfunctory. "Half a moment! I'll be right back after I've tamed and fetched this dragon. BACK!" "That was quick.."

KL had a number of issues:

1. Margaery was telling Loras last episode not to give in to the Faith; now she seems to be on their side. This might not be a problem, since she could have been persuaded in the interim, or she could be faking it to avoid being punished or to use the Faith against Cersei. I did enjoy watching the byplay between the Faith, the nobles, and Margaery/Tommen.

2. I don't like how show-Jaime has (or hasn't) developed over the last couple of seasons.

3. Someone else raised this question: Why are they not marching against Dorne? Everyone seems to have forgotten all about poor Myrcella. Mind you, I'd rather endure a million incongruities of narrative and characterisation than another minute of Dorne dialogue. I think what happened here is they're going ack to the books, but forgetting to make it coherent in show terms.

I enjoyed the brief(ish) Arya and Bran segments. I don't think Arya ever really wanted to be "No one". In the books, her first [authorized) murder could be quasi-justified by saying the chap was a jerk. That wouldn't work here.

Excellent episode.  The sort of slow, but powerful writing that has given the show such a wide audience.  Ian McShane and Lady Mormont were the highlights, of course.  

I think it's irrefutable now that the main reason Season 5 was off was because D&D were treading water giving Martin time to get his act together.  Now given the green light, they have displayed they are more than capable (than Martin even) of steering the ship to port and bringing the fans a satisfying, timely conclusion.  I'd say odds for Martin finishing the series after the show so satisfyingly wraps up the major plot threads to be somewhere around 15%.  

This Season has been the best since Season 3 and may even surpass it before its conclusion.  

12 hours ago, Spilt Pea Soup said:

Excellent episode.  The sort of slow, but powerful writing that has given the show such a wide audience.  Ian McShane and Lady Mormont were the highlights, of course.  

I think it's irrefutable now that the main reason Season 5 was off was because D&D were treading water giving Martin time to get his act together.  Now given the green light, they have displayed they are more than capable (than Martin even) of steering the ship to port and bringing the fans a satisfying, timely conclusion.  I'd say odds for Martin finishing the series after the show so satisfyingly wraps up the major plot threads to be somewhere around 15%.  

This Season has been the best since Season 3 and may even surpass it before its conclusion.  

Yet the show has significantly gone back to cover stories in AFFC/ADWD

Mereen-letting the dragons free, beginning of armed conflict-AFFC/ADWD

Dany-in TWOW territory

Dorne-ummmm not decipherable

Sam-Going to the Citadel-AFFC/ADWD

KL-bouncing between ADWD/AFFC and TWOW-Cersei's trial hasn't happened yet, but will happen and some resolution to Marg

Riverlands/Jamie-AFFC/ADWD

Brienne-Moving back to AFFC/ADWD arc

Vale-unrelated to books, but COULD be something from later story

WF-unrelated to books

Jon-revisting Stannis' arc

Sansa-unrelated to books

Bran-in TWOW

• 2 weeks later...