[Poll] How would you rate episode 607?

Ran

How would you rate episode 607?  

420 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

• 2 weeks later...

Gave it an 8. Mostly enjoyed this episode, and there was nothing terrible, but still a few clumsy moments.

What I liked:

- Stark recruitment. Everything was great, and I particularly liked the trip to Bear Island. Really wished that Sansa had vowed to come back and hang Lord Glover for an Oathbreaker as Robb did to the Greatjon though.

- Jamie at Riverrun. Great to see some of the book dialogue survive, and really enjoyed Jamie putting down the Freys.

- King's Landing. Glad to see Margaery has some kind of a plan, looking forward to seeing where this goes.

What I wasn't wild about:

- Septon Meriband and the return of the Hound. They bungled this in my opinion, very clumsily done. Didn't mind the Cold Open and early reveal, but the Septon himself was a big disappointment.

- Arya in Braavos. Surely she was expecting some kind of attack; she should have been much more covert than she was. And after being stabbed in the abdomen three times, there's no way she can walk around straight the way she is. Was expecting much more of a fight between her and the Waif after all this build up. Very disappointing.

I gave it a 5. Too much repetition in King's Landing. Bad pacing, poor layout of scenes, and too much build-up with too many cliffhangers(kind of sounds like ADWD). As a bonus, Lady Mormont is ridiculous, too long of a scene for a weak comedic payoff, but nice try.

Now for some positives. The Hound is awesome as always. I liked the scene coming before the opening credits even though the reveal was a bit lame. We actually hear dialogue about the fact that Cercei is still the cause of all evil and the ramifications of Robb's ventures. The Blackfish stuff is alright.

Wow, but that was short.

Loved Lady Mormont, Arya buying her passage, the fact that not all houses are falling behind Jonsa (so she's written to Littlefinger, natch, like we knew she was always going to).  Blackfish still has it.  Hints of Jaime mojo returning?  Good to get some Bronnage, and Diana Rigg turned it up to 11 with Cersei which was satisfying - "you're not going to kill them all", though, when we all know what Cersei is (probably) thinking of doing... And Sandor :)

Didn't love Yara/Theon so much for some reason.  What was the significance of the flower picture Margaery gave Olenna?  And how does a highly trained assassin not kill her completely surprised mark - why stab her in the gut rather than open an artery, for example?

We were never going to get the Broken Man speech.  Ian McShane was good though.  Not sure if that was supposed to be the Brotherhood?  They've changed if so...

7 for me, solid and moved the plot on and some high points as above.  Lost points for shortness, the Waif's incompetence, and shortness again.

Last three episodes are all long ones but last week and this were both a scene (or in this case two) light, which is disappointing.

Edited by Emanresu
Hound

Tonight was the first episode that I did not give a 10 to this year. I gave it a 9. The set design around the drawbridge at Riverrun was enough on its own to get a 7. The nitpicks I have is not enough Arya this week when the plot is really heating up, and John Snow's complete ineffectiveness in showing leadership.

Enjoyed it a lot more than last week's episode.

The hound made a great come back! Loved the starting scene before the titles and loved even more the last scene and his eager for revenge. I'm trying so hard to not get any illusions but it's hard not to do so when you see BwB hanging people...

My other favourite scene has to be the Riverrun "siege". I didn't like though how they reintroduced Bronn (I don't mean we needed a 5 min reminder of who he is, but...). Got to love the Blackfish.

Maybe it's because of the Riverrun scene and the battle camps, but this felt like a back to basics episode. Very reminiscent of season 2-3 in tone. Jamie finally got his shit together and is being useful. Thank god. The northern plot was good and atleast showed progress, Sansa wrote the Vale by the way, so I feel like LF is primed to fuck shit up. Hound scenes were nice to see him back, but they probably should have set it up better. Showed a few episodes of him happier before they Batman'ed him back into the game. Though it was so obvious, I get why they didn't. Scene with Arya and the Waif was so telegraphed, but the brutality made it effective, good babyface in peril scene. The Iron Island scene was gratuitous except for the lone line about getting Dany to join them. Alfie still kills his Theon scenes. Good to see Blackfish again. Cersie is also fucked many ways from Sunday.

This was another set up episode but in a good way. Didn't drag like last week. Didn't have pointless filler like the Dany scene. Plot moved, pieces were put in and out of play. Good character moments. 7.

1 minute ago, HowdyGareth Bale said:

Tonight was the first episode that I did not give a 10 to this year. I gave it a 9. The set design around the drawbridge at Riverrun was enough on its own to get a 7. The nitpicks I have is not enough Arya this week when the plot is really heating up, and John Snow's complete ineffectiveness in showing leadership.

Funny - I rather liked that (Snow's ineffectiveness at diplomacy).  He's been brilliant with what he knows but he can't play this game so well.  It'd be dull if he was good at everything.  Always interesting to see others' takes.  I think there'll be plenty of Arya next week ("No-one").

Just now, Emanresu said:

Funny - I rather liked that (Snow's ineffectiveness at diplomacy).  He's been brilliant with what he knows but he can't play this game so well.  It'd be dull if he was good at everything.  Always interesting to see others' takes.  I think there'll be plenty of Arya next week ("No-one").

That is an understandable position to take. I just think that he was so bad in this episode that it really had me questioning how he ever got people to follow him in the first place. He was uncharacteristically uncharismatic.  

So good; if the next few episodes can open with Sandor, not the Hound, I'd be so happy. Jaime and Brynden's meeting was perfect, but the Jon Snow scenes less so. Except for that Lyanna Mormont is quite feisty; I enjoyed her scenes very much. But watching Margery and the High Sparrow is slow torture - please, make it stop soon! Can't wait for next Sunday. 

Lyanna Mormont was flawless and the Hound was flawless, also Jaime's scenes at Riverrun were close to the book.  I really liked this episode because it felt more like the book story than we've seen in a lot of episodes for the last two years.  8/10 perfectly happy with this episode.

Just now, HowdyGareth Bale said:

That is an understandable position to take. I just think that he was so bad in this episode that it really had me questioning how he ever got people to follow him in the first place. He was uncharacteristically uncharismatic.  

He didn't get people to follow him for his charisma. He's always been a bit anti social. Even from the first episode when he pissed everyone at Castle Black off because he was beating up on untrained lowborns. It was his actions that got people to like him. He needs someone savvy enough to win friends though in this situation.

7/10. Jon and Sansa teleporting bothered me a lot, as did Arya being gut-stabbed and walking it off. I did like Al Swearengen's Hippy Commune and The Return of the Hound. I also LOVED the scene with Lady Olenna calling out Cersei. That was fantastic. Still, probably my least favorite episode of the season, along with The Red Woman. By the way, where was she?

Riverrun: Great scene, I thought it was well done. Blackfish rocks and finally we are seeing old Jaime back

Kings Landing: The plot did not move forward, but at least we saw the Queen of Throrns at her best

North: Meh, very meh. Davos saved a bit, but I think they should make the Manderlys backing them up

Braavos: The Waif sucks very hard at her job, but Arya was really dumb

Riverlands: I was expecting more from Ian MacShane, but...THE HOUND IS BACK AND I AM GETTING HYPE