[Poll] How would you rate episode 607?

Ran

How would you rate episode 607?  

420 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Best episode since season 4 at least. We get Lyanna and the Hound, KL had some good scenes, Blackfish&Jaime was good. A good talk about trebuchets and the Riverlands is golden. I have to go down to the dumbness of both Arya and the Waif in the assasination scene and Sansa not closing the letter with the seal to see clear faults in this episode.

I give it a seven. Like last week's episode it was a slow one but much more rewarding. 

Ian McShane, the Hound, Lyanna Mormont and the Blackfish - can't complain with that.

One tiny thing that annoyed me - why does Sansa wear so much make-up? It looks completely out of place in a grim Northern setting. She even seems to have plucked eyebrows.

At least they only made this one 45 minutes long, because what a waste of time.  

No Septon Meribald aka Ray broken man speech was dumb.  

The whole thing was dumb.

At this point, they could just show a cardboard cutout of the characters and people will be like '10/10 because Lady Stoneheart!'

Fucking pathetic

6/10

Mostly due to incredible set designs of Riverrun, Bear Island and log-Sept. Plus, bridge of Volantis. All beautiful.

The rest ... well, shaky, but better than season 5. Bryan Cogman is trying to get the story back on track, but too much character butchery happened in the meantime. Some things cannot be mended.

The North - after thoroughly destroying Jaime Lannister's character and arc, they are doing it with Jon Snow now. He acts like a shy school girl sent to pick some berries. This is all part of "empowering women" bs mantra by D&D. Hence, we get hyped versions of Cersei and Sansa and ragged versions of Jaime and Jon. In the meantime, the show is "empowering women" by showing tonnes of unnecessary nudity and sex (99% female). Give us a break!

However, that girl who played Lyanna Mormont was genius. I loved her. Glover was not too bad, but Sansa could have given some background by mentioning the Glover who squired for Brandon Stark and went to the ToJ with Ned. A good writer would not miss that opportunity.

Direction was poor and dumbed down in this sequence.

The Hound - I love to see the Hound return, but why invent this whole utopia nonsense around him? Looked like some Amish community. The Silent Isle is important. It should feature in the show. Why this urge to invent unnecessary rubbish?! Dialogue was just a reiteration of the famous Hound speech from season 1 (I believe) - "Your father was a killer, your brother is a killer ..." The show made that point. Totally unnecessary scene imho.

Arya - she does not have Mel to resurrect her, yet she survives 4 professional stabs and a fall off a bridge. Kudos! She can fight the Night King singlehandedly. Plus, the faceless waif looked like a queen/witch from Snow-white, so an idiot would assume what was about to happen. Yet, Arya didn't. Stupidity, thy residence is Braavos.

Theon/Yara/Asha - and finally, after "empowering women" something for LGBT community. Oh no. It is not a stereotype when you assume that a tom boyish woman must be a lesbian. The writers do not even know they are offensive. That's a scary bit. GRRM is a clever man. Hence, the only lesbian scenes he wrote were featuring beautiful Cersei. But, the show writers live in Braavos obviously. In the house of black and white. That is how they see the world as well.

King's Landing - one big yawn. Margaeory was faking she was a devout follower of the Seven. What a surprise! Could never see that coming. Why does that merit that much screen time. What was the purpose of Cersei/Queen of Thornes encounter? To remind us what happened last season? Good lord.

Riverrun - Freys look like rats and wallow in mud. Loving the costume design crew. Kudos! Hail to the Blackfish. He never disappoints. Again, Jaime's arc keeps regressing. The writers hate the man. I guess because he is much more handsome they can ever hope to be. Edmure was good, Bronn more of same old. Passable sequence.

Overall, barely watchable, but way better than season 5. I still cringe when I think of it.

Edited by Modesty Lannister

7/10

Best episode I've seen in a while (definitely this season).  Writing pretty weak, but well above what we've been getting lately (by which I mean since about season 4) -- I'm not a Cogman fan, but it's nice to see an episode mangled by someone who has read the books, even if the scenes should have been in last season (instead of the Dornish clusterF).

Hello everybody,

I'm new to the forum! My name is Matteo working on a PhD research on A Song of Ice and Fire!!

I've found this episode as much important as the fifth one, maybe because to me it felt almost as though there was a closer analysis of some character's personality.

18 minutes ago, Barbamatt said:

Hello everybody,

I'm new to the forum! My name is Matteo working on a PhD research on A Song of Ice and Fire!!

I've found this episode as much important as the fifth one, maybe because to me it felt almost as though there was a closer analysis of some character's personality.

I didn't see anything in their personalities we didn't already know.  It's stuff that's been hashed out, we've seen this bolder Sansa, we've seen the unsure of himself Jon, we've seen the voice of reason Davos and we know that he feels he isn't worthy of the title of Lord and how he came up from fleabottom, we knew Sandor Clegane has a side of him that isn't the side that was put to the flame by Gregor.  He reminds me of the Batman villain Two Face.  We all figured this was a ruse by Margery, she knows how to play the game.  Honestly I didn't see anything I haven't seen other than that meeting with the Blackfish and Jaime, which quite honestly should have happened a year ago but D&D can't pass up the opportunity to show some young exotic tits so we get Sand Snakes with the snub of the most important Dornish character.  

It felt like a giant waste of time to me.

2 hours ago, northernmonkey said:

One tiny thing that annoyed me - why does Sansa wear so much make-up? It looks completely out of place in a grim Northern setting. She even seems to have plucked eyebrows.

Whereas Bronn wearing so much eye make-up in the Riverlands is more acceptable? He looked like some weird Keith Richards/Jack Sparrow wanna be this episode.

20 minutes ago, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

I didn't see anything in their personalities we didn't already know.  It's stuff that's been hashed out, we've seen this bolder Sansa, we've seen the unsure of himself Jon, we've seen the voice of reason Davos and we know that he feels he isn't worthy of the title of Lord and how he came up from fleabottom, we knew Sandor Clegane has a side of him that isn't the side that was put to the flame by Gregor.  He reminds me of the Batman villain Two Face.  We all figured this was a ruse by Margery, she knows how to play the game.  Honestly I didn't see anything I haven't seen other than that meeting with the Blackfish and Jaime, which quite honestly should have happened a year ago but D&D can't pass up the opportunity to show some young exotic tits so we get Sand Snakes with the snub of the most important Dornish character.  

It felt like a giant waste of time to me.

You are absolutely right. On the other hand, though, even if with some eyerolling along the way, I felt this episode closer to the approach of the previous seasons than the one used for the other episodes in this season so far (fifth episode excluded, of course).

I agree not including a shortened version if not the full one was a mistake. Unless you consider the speech about "foraging" and killing to be the Broken man speech which I wouldn't. In my original post I kind of forgot it, it's not something I've been looking forward in the same way as Euron, Wyman and Doran giving their big speeches but if you're going to do Meribald/Elder Brother you really should do the Broken man speech.

I rated it a 8/10. It was a very well made episode that moved the plot forward. As someone mentioned earlier in the topic, it felt like an older episode in quality and structure. I took 2 points off for ruining Ian Mcshanes cameo and the "broken man" speech. We get another D and D inspired speech (Or whoever wrote it) that couldn't even touch the one in the books. Or lack there of. (Speech just kind of rambled on) 

Good - 

Hound

Jaime/Blackfish scene

Jaime/Freys scene

Bronn - "Don't you fucking say it." 

Lady Mormont actress

Ian Mcshane 

Maybe LSH?

Bad -

Ian Mcshanes speech change

Brotherhood Without Banners killing innocent people because of their religion? Juh? 

Aryas story went nowhere....again. 

Yara being a lesbian? Okay. Should have mentioned that earlier by season 2. 

Edited by BadPussy