[Poll] How would you rate episode 607?

Ran

How would you rate episode 607?  

420 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Well, folks, I give this episode a 6. It wasn`t the best by far, I think it had the slowest pace by far, but it was decent, cause it had some good character development. The only thing that bothered me was too much Sandor The Hound out of nowhere. Don`t get me wrong - i do not deslike him` but to be true - he also isn`t one of my favourites. I guess whoever he was it would`ve been awkward as this one, to show him at last, after a long hiatis, and just show some carnage after he has finally find a place to live happy. The BwB did smth that just makes me angry - this isn`t the BwB I know from the book - they ain`t angels of heroes` but they also ain`t villains like those.

I enjoyed the return of Theonq the Prince \or a shadow of him at least|, but the scene with Yara was too much drinking and no story telling at all. I expected to hear from Theon smth about being tortured by Ramsay, only to be interrupted by the Lesbian princess who would make him remember who he was /...no one from the begining - the only surviving son of the king who bend the knee after a rebellion which was an utter joke/.  But now we have a part of good ol` Theon Greyjoy back again and this is better than Reek for sure. Also I think his character is gonna be much more likeable in comparison with the guy with the cock, cause back in the day he was so damn annoying.

No Sam - i wanted a brief scene with him.

I liked the Arya scene - i expected some tricky move by the Waif but it was nicely done. Now we are seating on the edge of our seats - this isn`t the books, anything can happen.

1 hour ago, Gargarax said:

Realising that Lady Mormont actually called Sansa "Lady Sandra" (she DID, check for yourself), I almost regret giving it 6/10. I know the show is all "fuck logic!", but this is a whole new level of embarassing ...

I will add that to the 'allahu akbar' shouting in daenerys scene in the last episode (they did, check for yourself) :D

Pretty boring episode, but not too many pull my hair out stupidity moments.

Only major issue I had was with Arya.  In fact, her entire role in this episode is a pretty good insight or a metaphor to the continuing decline of the show.  In season 1, Arya's struggles seem pretty realistic when she finds herself begging in the streets while trying to hunt pigeons because she is a child who is all alone.  I loved that kind of realism.  Now, somehow she inexplicably pulls bags of coins out of midair with no explanation at all.  Furthermore, I am guessing she is going to survive 4 stab wounds, where one stab wound killed a stable boy in season one (as it should).

I realize that this is a fantasy show.  However, my love for the show was based on the fact that this is a fantasy that is guided by realistic events.  Now, all logic has gone out the window.  It is truly a typical fantasy show where all plots are solved by a magical or unrealistic device.

I'm glad they are doing the Jaime story, but his acting and the Black Fish were not all that great.  That scene was really the only part of Feast that I liked, so I was wanting more.

7 / 10

Another solid build-up episodes. Some really good scene but also some bad points.
Great to see the Hound again.
Ian McShanes's Septon was excellent.
The confrontation between Olenna and Cersei was fantastic.
Jaime and Bronn taking over the Siege of Riverrun and the face to face with the Blackfish had some good mements.
Lyanna Mormont was brilliant and her 62 men was hilarious.

The bad parts were:
The Brotherbood Without Banners attacking poor septons doesn't make much sense to me.
Losing a great character who was only there for one episode is disappointing. A meeting with Brienne would have been really good with this wandering Septon. There was plenty of potential here that can never be fulfilled now.
I don't get Yara and Theon going to Dany, what can they offer her? What can she offer them?

Black Fish, Lady fucking Mormont = Boss

its good to have the Hound back

stark army recruitment was a drag.

Lol at Arya. She shouldn't be so reckless, you can join but not leave, unless theres a twist next episode played at waif ;P 

Overall good episode. Vote 8

Edited by Alex7s

On June 6, 2016 at 6:04 AM, Ser Arthur Hightower said:

I've not been watching this season properly due to my dissatisfaction at the direction the show has taken after season 4, just watching the scenes that have interested me on youtube, so I've not partaken in any of these voting threads. However I have observed all of them and within 12 hours of the episode showing each one automatically seems to have a solid 12 dislikes, which rises to 20 or more within a few days.

This seems to be basically regardless of how the rest of the audience votes, for episode 5 more than 50% of the votes were 9 or 10, less than 4% were 2 or 3, yet 6% (36 votes) were for 1. This episode also has a very high average, but 2 people have already voted 1, almost as many and 2, 3 and 4 put together.

So who are these people who are seemingly watching every episode, finding nothing to enjoy, and then giving each episode a "1" every single week?

(I think I should specify that I have generally enjoyed what I have seen of season 6, though I'm still not particularly interested in watching all the way through.)

That would be the trolls who pretend to be some type of cult, fanatic book purists who are adamant they aren't trolls, yet still give each show a 1 rating to stir the pot and try to get reaction. They kind of remind me of the sparrows actually...

8/10

This was the first episode since season 4 that I really enjoyed.  Black Fish, Lady Mormont and the Hound were all great, and the episode had quite a few humourous moments. However, it was far from perfect:

- The Brotherhood Without Banners killing innocent people made no sense.

- The dialogue explaining how the septon found the Hound was clumsy.

- The Lyanna scene was too similar to the Bank of Braavos scene, with Davos's speeches coming to the rescue again.

- The meeting between the Blackfish and Jamie seemed pointless, as the Blackfish was never going to accept such a weak offer.

- I don't know how Cersei resisted the urge to let the Mountain crush Olenna's head, after what Olenna said to her.

- The Yara scene the endorsed the sexist stereotype that tough women are likely to be lesbians.

- Arya surviving the knife attack was ridiculous. Talisa didn't get up and walk around when the same thing happened to her. 

I see the scene with the BWB differently than others I guess. Most martial activities start out with a strong sense of what they are doing, right vs wrong. However as time goes by you see the people at the top die off and others rise up. These replacements often don't have the same sense and morals at the original leaders and they start to stray from who they are. So if they show the BWB and the leaders who were there before are gone and new people are running the show, then yes it would make sense for them to have changed. However, if they are still alive, then this would make no sense.

5/10

Another decent enough setup episode. Riverrun and The Hound were the highlights. Disappointed that we didn't get the broken men monologue - the book version was much better than what we got in the show. Everything else ranged from passable to meh.

7/10

Was pretty bland, but still helped move the plot forward in noticeable ways; the final 3 episodes need to be really good though, considering how much set-up they've been getting. Also, the episode itself was just gorgeous; some really amazing shots throughout.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

7/10

Was pretty bland, but still helped move the plot forward in noticeable ways; the final 3 episodes need to be really good though, considering how much set-up they've been getting. Also, the episode itself was just gorgeous; some really amazing shots throughout.

That's the GOT MO, now, though, isn't it?  Where the first 6-7 episodes are really set up for the final 3, 2, 1 action/shocking packed ending.  It has the benefit of leaving most of the audience on a high note, like last year, but the negative is that much of the story is artificially dragged out through the first 2/3 of the season so everything wraps in the last 3 episodes.  Like this year, where the KL finale has been dragged and dragged and dragged out.  Same for Arya, dragged out and dragged out some more, though it's better IMO, than the KL stuff.

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

That's the GOT MO, now, though, isn't it?  Where the first 6-7 episodes are really set up for the final 3, 2, 1 action/shocking packed ending.  It has the benefit of leaving most of the audience on a high note, like last year, but the negative is that much of the story is artificially dragged out through the first 2/3 of the season so everything wraps in the last 3 episodes.  Like this year, where the KL finale has been dragged and dragged and dragged out.  Same for Arya, dragged out and dragged out some more, though it's better IMO, than the KL stuff.

That's been the problem with some plotlines, but in general I don't agree. Seasons 2 and 3 did suffer from that, just waiting for the Blackwater and Red Wedding to happen; Seasons 4 and beyond though have done a good job of having important stuff happen in the earlier parts of the season. 

21 minutes ago, Fez said:

That's been the problem with some plotlines, but in general I don't agree. Seasons 2 and 3 did suffer from that, just waiting for the Blackwater and Red Wedding to happen; Seasons 4 and beyond though have done a good job of having important stuff happen in the earlier parts of the season. 

Season 3 had Dany take Astapor in E4, which might still be one of the best adapted plot points so far. Season 4 had Craster's Keep, which was beyond stupid and the low point of the season. S5 had what - Dorne? Sansa's marriage? It lost more than 30% of its viewers mid-season and only won them back with the battle at Hardhome. And this season had "Hold the Door", which wasn't actually very important for the plot as far as we can tell.

7 hours ago, Alex7s said:

Black Fish, Lady fucking Mormont = Boss

its good to have the Hound back

stark army recruitment was a drag.

Lol at Arya. She shouldn't be so reckless, you can join but not leave, unless theres a twist next episode played at waif ;P 

Overall good episode. Vote 8

Agreed. Hopefully there is more to Arya's story then it appeared.

7 hours ago, johndance said:

That would be the trolls who pretend to be some type of cult, fanatic book purists who are adamant they aren't trolls, yet still give each show a 1 rating to stir the pot and try to get reaction. They kind of remind me of the sparrows actually...

Or they are different people who think that particular episode was crap for different reasons. I voted 1 on episodes 1 and 5 and 9 for this one. Other episodes I've given votes from 4 to 6.

26 minutes ago, Lordi Nietos said:

Or they are different people who think that particular episode was crap for different reasons. I voted 1 on episodes 1 and 5 and 9 for this one. Other episodes I've given votes from 4 to 6.

Reminds me why I added Johndance to my Ignore-Liste last year - he likes to accuse others of irrational rating just because he can't accept other peoples' point of view.

The thing is: Many critical voters can give rather specific reasons as to why they didn't like an episode. Positive ratings tend to stress the fact that they had fun watching the episode, enjoyed it, etc. There is nothing wrong with that, but enjoying something does not make it universally good - you're rating the experience rather than the quality of storytelling. I'm totally fine with that, and I don't get how anybody can be upset with people giving bad ratings - does this chance the experience you've had? I'm happy for everybody who enjoyed it even if I disliked it.

To give an example why I've given rather low rankings since S5 began:

Since Aristotle, people have being trying to figure out how to tell a good story. One basic rule could be this: Have interesting, effectful plot points. What are interesting, effectful plot points? Basically, they need to do three things: 1. They should be as surprising as possible, while 2. being a logical consequence of plot development up to that point (which seems like a contradiction, but that's why telling good stories ist hard) and 3. they should give you the impression that "This changes everything", i.e. they should open new possibilites for plot development.

The first three books as well as the first four seasons had many such plot points. Eddard Stark's death came as a big surprise, while being quite a logical consequence of what Joffrey is about, and it opened an incredible range of new plot developments. The same goes for plot points like the Red Wedding, Theon taking Winterfell, Oberyn's death, and many more. That was good storytelling because it had a lot of well constructed plot points.

S4 and S5, however, had very, very few of those. In most plot points, only one or two of the three criteria are met. Many are either completely unsurprising (e.g. Dany winning command of the Dothraki), poorly unmotivated (e.g. Euron wanting to murder Theon) or they change nothing (e.g. the Sandsnakes killing Doran). Combined with virtually hundreds of small plotholes (some of which, I agree, only readers will notice), this makes S5 and S6 pretty bad storytelling, for both Aristotle and me. I've enjoyed some scenes, gave E7 a 6/10 for that reason alone, but mostly, I rate low because the weaknesses are more than I think a show like that should make.

9 hours ago, Alex7s said:

Which was never established actually.

Of course we as the viewers can guess these are the FM rules based on what's happening.

But did Arya have any chance of knowing that ? IIRC there was no scene where it was explained to her (even vaguely) that she is obliged to stay with the FM, she didn't swear an oath and didn't agree to any kind of contract.

She joined them completely voluntarily, why wouldn't she assume that she can also leave again if she wants ? Especially since they constantly remind her how she is "not ready", almost making it seem that they try to make her quit.