[Poll] How would you rate episode 607?

Ran

How would you rate episode 607?  

420 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

3 minutes ago, Facebookless Man said:

they actually keep insisting that she's free to leave

Yes, but only in the books. (?) 

Personally, I don't take anything the books have established as canon for the show. They are two different universes to me.

So if the show!FM have a "once in, there is no out" clause, no problem. But some clarity on this rule (and if Arya is aware of it or not) would be necessary.
Or is the waif going after Arya meant as a punishment for screwing up the Lady Crane kill ? But then again: Has Arya any reason to suspect she is in danger ?

3 hours ago, Gargarax said:

Season 3 had Dany take Astapor in E4, which might still be one of the best adapted plot points so far. Season 4 had Craster's Keep, which was beyond stupid and the low point of the season. S5 had what - Dorne? Sansa's marriage? It lost more than 30% of its viewers mid-season and only won them back with the battle at Hardhome. And this season had "Hold the Door", which wasn't actually very important for the plot as far as we can tell.

Season 4 had the purple wedding in episode 2 and Season 5 had the Sparrows taking over early on. This season had Jon coming back and Dany burning the Khals happen early on. Most major plotlines have had events occurring throughout the seasons for the past 3 seasons. With the big exception of Dany before this season, who was just dragging in Meereen until Daznak's.

Also, that's not how ratings work. The ratings went up starting with Hardhome, but people didn't know that battle would happen until after they had already tuned in. It was the episode prior to that, The Gift, that got people back on board.

On 6/6/2016 at 4:04 AM, Ser Arthur Hightower said:

I've not been watching this season properly due to my dissatisfaction at the direction the show has taken after season 4, just watching the scenes that have interested me on youtube, so I've not partaken in any of these voting threads. However I have observed all of them and within 12 hours of the episode showing each one automatically seems to have a solid 12 dislikes, which rises to 20 or more within a few days.

This seems to be basically regardless of how the rest of the audience votes, for episode 5 more than 50% of the votes were 9 or 10, less than 4% were 2 or 3, yet 6% (36 votes) were for 1. This episode also has a very high average, but 2 people have already voted 1, almost as many and 2, 3 and 4 put together.

So who are these people who are seemingly watching every episode, finding nothing to enjoy, and then giving each episode a "1" every single week?

(I think I should specify that I have generally enjoyed what I have seen of season 6, though I'm still not particularly interested in watching all the way through.)

I have never given it a 1 but I can see how someone could and still watch.  When I judge this show I judge based on what it was and what it could be.  I don't judge it against other shows, that would be silly.  The production values, sets, costumes etc are too good to judge against most TV but if you judge based on previous HBO shows or some of the stuff AMC is doin, that's a similar playing field.  The first 3 seasons for the most part are the best TV ever.  But as the writers of X-men Origins:  Wolverine and Troy gain further control of the narrative it becomes more like Wolverine and less like Deadwood.  If you judged this episode solely against 1st season Baelor you could easily give it a 1, Baelor would be a 10.  That's kind of how I rate it but not against 1 single episode, that's not rational.  But giving each episode with all the lack of logic and shitty dialog a 10 isn't rational either.  This used to be my favorite show now its not even in my top 5.

As to why I thoroughly dislike most of what this show has become and still watch, there are many factors.  Its my single favorite story of all time.  I love A Song of Ice and Fire, so not watching really isn't an option.  Also I got so many friends, family and co-workers into the show in the 1st couple seasons, and being a semi-expert on the story they all come to me with questions after.  I have to have an idea of what happened.  Finally, there is something called Hope-Watching.  I have sincere hope that maybe they'll recapture some of what made this show great.  Maybe someday they'll get it right.  But they get further and further away from that each episode.

Edited by Steelegrave

So I went with 4.

Mostly because they got the Blackfish right and Ian McShane.  Also no Dany and Tyrion.  That's a plus.

The Hound - They spent 2/3 of a precious hour, of which there are few left, bringing back a minor player in the overall story.  They wasted a talent like Ian McShane and they further tarnished Ned's character by having the Brotherhood slaughter innocent people for a few scraps of food.

The North-  So Jon Snow comes back from dead and has only changed for the worse.  He's just more emo and ineffectual.  At this point if he becomes the prince who was promised or Azor Ahai its going to be a complete leap in logic.  And apparently The North doesn't Remember.  They have completely destroyed this great storyline from the novels. 

Slaver's Bay - Nonsense, just gratuitous sex.

Arya - Another great storyline they have butchered.  Arya has learned apparently nothing while training, flashing money around in broad daylight, letting anybody get within 3 feet of her.  And the master assassin the Waif shows her true face on a crowded bridge and stabs Arya in the gut and not a vital area.

These guys don't know what the hell they are doing.  My 10 year old could write a better adaptation. 

Edited by Steelegrave

5 hours ago, HellasLEAF said:

I'm finding, on these boards, it's cool to hate the show and to give low scores.  

To each their own, but I doubt these people would find satisfaction no matter what D/D put on screen.  

It's not cool to hate the show - I'm actually pretty depressed that I don't like it more. Besides, the average rating is still around 7/10, which is pretty good - nothing suggests that it should deserve more.

And no, there are many things they could do to make me enjoy the show more. I really liked seasons 1-3 and much of season 4. And it has nothing to do with no longer following the books - I even liked some non-book ideas in earlier seasons. It gets really old to accuse people who give low ratings of just being grumpy book purists who want to hate the show because they're not the books. Just accept that people dislike the show for good reasons - I have no problem accepting that people enjoy the show even if I don't most of the time.

Oh boy, this one was a hard one to rate. Overall, the episode went by very quickly and there wasn't one single "wow" moment; it was pretty chill for the most part.

The Good

+ THE HOUND. Fokin finally! Sandor's one of my favorite book characters, and one I like even more in the show, so it's no surprise that he's the main reason why this episode gets a bump-up in the rating. I really dig that they gave him a good amount of screen time and hopefully this continues. The Hound's always served bad men, and when he wasn't serving them he was all about himself - until Sansa and Arya. That's where he started to change a little, and I think that after the events in this episode he's definitely back - but I think he's finally gonna fight for the people, without expecting anything in return. That'd be some neat character development.

+ Ian McShane was pretty badass. I liked his general attitude and dude's very personable. Shame he died so quickly, but if his death's the catalyst for the Hound's change, then it'll be worth it.

+ Lady Olenna's conversation with Cersei. The QoT was great in the past, but she kinda fell flat when they introduced Master Manipulator Septon into the mix. So it was nice to see her back to her old, witty self. Also bonus points for rekin Cersei.

+ Marg playin' the High Septon and his cult. This was my original hypothesis, and I'm glad that's the route they're going with. Plus, it makes way more sense than her becoming brainwashed that badly all of a sudden.

+ No Brienne in this episode.

The Bad

- The Ironborn. I know they're trying to make Yara all cool and stuff, but I just ain't feelin' it. That whole scene was just... meh. Drink.

- Reference to the Sandor-Brienne fight. Everything about the Sandor stuff was awesome in this episode, except for the mention of that horrid affair. It's okay, though; The Hound is epic win incarnate, so it's not a problem, but that fight should never be talked about.

- Sansa. I find myself facepalming more and more during Sansa scenes. I get that she's tryin' to compete with the big dawgs, but she's talking out of her arse most of the time, doing questionable shit. It's really annoying when she questions the combat/diplomacy choices by people experienced in those fields, as if she knows jack shit about that. Questioning Davos' position was dumb, and her whole speech about Stannis was awful. Trying to out-north the Northerners was hilarious, considering all her life she's been a South-wannabe. Really made me dislike her, which was a surprise.

- BwB are bandits now? Kinda confused. I suppose they could still explain this in the coming episode(s), but even under Stonederp's leadership, the BwB weren't butchering entire communities of civilians. Taking justice/pseudo-justice into your own hands it once thing, but this was plain dumb. I suppose I would understand if Beric and Thoros were gone, and the rabble had no good leadership and it all just escalated from there, but I don't see a show-reason why either of those two would be gone or worse - would turn bad. Gotta give it a minus point for now.

- Arya stuff. Arya's stuff has been pretty decent so far, but this episode was really janky. How is it she didn't see that coming? Wasn't one of her important training bits concerned with being aware of one's surrounding? Apparently since she's no longer trying to become a FM she's forgotten all of her teachings. And the Waif - or whatever the fok her name is - is a terrible assassin. My grandmother, wielding nothing but a butter knife in absolute darkness, could do a better job at shanking someone than this scrub. If she didn't want to kill her, that's dumb. If she did, that's also dumb. The only thing this scene showed is that Arya's training was evidently pointless, and that the Waif is all talk and a shit FM. Again, this might change with some explanation, but for now it's very bad.

The Meh

+/- Jaime and Blackfish. It wasn't bad, but it was just missing something. I still don't like the fact that Jaime's still on Cersei's leash (especially in the next episode based on the preview).

+/- Jon SnuSnu scenes. They's a'ight, no issues with 'em. Lady Mormont was cool, but I wasn't amazed. She was okay for what she needed to be. I'm glad they didn't have the Giant speak full sentences in English/common; one word's okay.

Overall, I'd say a 7/10. As mentioned earlier, the Hound bumped this up quite a bit. Hopefully he's got more to come.

11 hours ago, Rhollo said:

Which was never established actually.

Of course we as the viewers can guess these are the FM rules based on what's happening.

But did Arya have any chance of knowing that ? IIRC there was no scene where it was explained to her (even vaguely) that she is obliged to stay with the FM, she didn't swear an oath and didn't agree to any kind of contract.

She joined them completely voluntarily, why wouldn't she assume that she can also leave again if she wants ? Especially since they constantly remind her how she is "not ready", almost making it seem that they try to make her quit.

The FM are feared and are a mystery to most people in Westeros & Essos, but they showed her their secrets and she used it once on the show to kill Meryn Trant. It is threatening to them and to their business if she leaves with everything she saw and knows about them.

Yes they kept reminding her that shes not ready, but that doesn't mean she can leave. She just needs more training to be "ready". 

Edited by Alex7s

1 minute ago, Alex7s said:

The FM are feared and are a mystery to most people in Westeros & Essos, but they showed her their secrets and she used it once on the show to kill Meryn Trant. It is threatening to them and to their business if she leaves with everything she saw and knows about them.

I don't think is't "classified" knowledge that the FM posess some magic that enables them to change faces. Otherwise, Jaquen would have given that secret away to an outsider too when he demonstrated it to Arya after they escaped Harrenhal .

And cleaning dead bodies, using poisons, fighting with a stick and lying are also not exactly super secretive stuff.

Just the fact that some of Aryas fighting training took place publicly in broad daylight tells me that the FM are not really giving that many fucks about the secrecy of their training.

Unless Arya was taught exactly how to make faces "wearable", which would potentially enable her to open her own FM troupe, I don't see how her knowledge would be threatening to them or their business. And I highly doubt that apprentices who are "not ready" yet already receive that lesson.

Re-watched this show last night. Still best episode this season at 2/10 only because they didn't muck up Jamie at Riverrun. The high praise this show is getting really goes a long way in explaining the popularity of professional wrestling to me smh

Edited by DamonDanceForMe

17 hours ago, HellasLEAF said:

I'm finding, on these boards, it's cool to hate the show and to give low scores.  

To each their own, but I doubt these people would find satisfaction no matter what D/D put on screen.  

it's true, but maybe if good writers put something on screen it would be ok.

Obviously I can't speak for everyone. However, my problem with the show is and has never been its divergence from the book. Expecting it to not make adjustments is insane and in some early seasons I even thought some of the adjustments were from the better. I am fine with the two universe theme.

However, my problem is that d&d have simply written a poor show. Their writing seems to be guided with no actual talent or creativity. They have taken very cool characters and stripped them of pretty much everything.

Take this weeks gravedigger. His character is basically "YA THE HOUND IS ALIVE AND HE YELLED AT JOFF AND ASKED FOR CHICKEN WOOOOO" there is simply nothing there. 

The show is, at best, a sitcom and often times at this point a fucking parody which is just really depressing to people who liked the books -- not because it is different from the books but because it is just terrible.

^^

Damon I'm sorry but I must disagree with you and state that this is certainly a book reader thing.  And that's a point that I do get.  I was about 2 books in before I switched exclusively to the show.  I loved what I read, but I love the show too.  

The show that you and many others claim to be terrible week in week out (not meh, but awful) is also HBO's highest rated show of all time, the most downloaded of all time and critically acclaimed by (metacritic/rotten tomatoes) week in week out.  I don't think I've ever seen such a reaction to a bad show.  

Certainly have every right to your opinion it's simply one that I am left confused by.

And I must say I disagree with your opinion on the writing.  I am an honors English Grad myself and have written plays and short stories as well.  While some plot points aren't perfect, some teleporting as it were, some thing condensed for the screen, the dialogue crackles with wit and potency.  The characters are brilliantly acted and the majority of major moments are well handled.  

Again, it's certainly not perfect.  But when I see scores of 2, 3 or 4 for episode 7, I am simply dumbfounded.  

34 minutes ago, HellasLEAF said:

The show that you and many others claim to be terrible week in week out (not meh, but awful) is also HBO's highest rated show of all time, the most downloaded of all time and critically acclaimed by (metacritic/rotten tomatoes) week in week out.  I don't think I've ever seen such a reaction to a bad show.  

Mmn... commercial success isn't indicative of quality. Personally, I thought the first four seasons were generally quite good as adaptations-- but five and six have left much to be desired. The perfect example being, when faced by Lyanna Mormont, Jon and Sansa standing around as stupefied decoration whilst Davos saves the moment, saying, essentially, what Jon himself has been saying since he encountered the WWs. So hardly mentioning Jon's actual experience in the matter, why wouldn't he have said it? Because of a precocious child? Pfft. It just doesn't compute and isn't consistent, thus it's bad writing.

34 minutes ago, HellasLEAF said:

And I must say I disagree with your opinion on the writing.  I am an honors English Grad myself and have written plays and short stories as well.  While some plot points aren't perfect, some teleporting as it were, some thing condensed for the screen, the dialogue crackles with wit and potency.  The characters are brilliantly acted and the majority of major moments are well handled.  

Pedigree may matter when arguing from your perspective, but it doesn't change the fact that it's your perspective.

Myself, I've found the overall plot this season to be relatively nonsensical. The dialogue, while having it's moments, I deem sub par and pales in comparison to the dialogue of the first three seasons. The characters acting, in some cases is good and otherwise quite less so, but I'd submit that's due to poor scripting. And Insofar as the 'majority of major moments,' well... if not bad, then quite a few fell short of the opportunity to really shine-- seasons' five ad six there, mind. 

The highest rating I've given so far this season is a six. This particular episode... four.

Edited by JEORDHl

On 7/6/2016 at 8:22 PM, HellasLEAF said:

for me it was the best show on tv for the first 3 to 4 seasons. now... it sucks

don't get me wrong it's still better than most shows, and the  landscapes, costumes, etc are AMAZING im in love with some of the weapons, armor and even dresses and locations on the show BUT the dialogue and story telling compared to earliers seasons is so bad i want to cry.

Edited by tormund's beard