Choose Your Kingsguard!

Dwadalin

I am shocked that so many people say Oberyn Martell. I mean I love him as much as anyone as a character, but he would make a deplorable KG. Way too much ego. Way too much life of leisure international playboy stuff. No where near the kind of chivalric honor that a high order of knighthood would require.

Can you imagine Ser Gerold  poisoning a tip of a spear? Getting drunk?

It is great when the knights are the best and most legendary fighters, like Dayne, but as often as not they have to have a skill set that is more conducive to standing silently at attention in total obedience, with no thought of self, hearing but not listening..... 

13 minutes ago, YOVMO said:

As I said in the post, it isn't specific whether we are talking about alive, dead, legend, past, present, undead, etc....that said I used the full tapestry to create my dream (non time specific) kingsguard (hence using an older barristan as LC)

I think the OP was pretty clear in this sense:

Now I do not mean building a dream team of the Dragonknight and Arthur Dayne. Who would you pick starting at the 1st book

So, people you could pick as they were at the starting of the first book, right? Or that is my take at least

14 hours ago, Aduro said:

That's what the oath means, that doesn't mean anyone will actually keep it. Try to see them as characters and what might motivate them. For instance Ribert Strong is controlled by Qyburn, not the king, and Bronn left Tyrion for a girl and a castle (neither of which a kingsguard could have) when he didn't want to fight the wrong guy. Not sure why Brynden is so popular, he was supposed to guard the Bloody Gate but chose supporting Cat and Edmure instead, he could be swayed again by family. Also Garlan is one of the best swordsmen and nicest guys in the books, but he's married and has three siblings, that makes him easy to threaten and could divide his loyalty

Yeah, but this is hard. Robert Strong for example COULD be controlled by Qyburn, but he/it could also have been programmed to be loyal to me (and he lacks pressure points others can use). Garlan COULD have a weakness in his family, but it doesn´t have to be if he prioritizes me over them.

In general I want people with the belief in the absolute monarchy, skills and few pressure points for others to use. I am open to suggestion from you and others on who to choose as long as these parameters are followed. 

1 minute ago, Ebrose said:

I think the OP was pretty clear in this sense:

he was, but it is problematic. The Hound in GOT is much different than when we last see him. Or for that matter, 2 handed versus 1 handed Jamie  Lanister.

However, in this spirit, I stick with Selmy as LC and then add Blackfish, Ser Roderick, Great John Umber, The Mountain, Areo Hotah and Grayworm

I must admit that I am somewhat surprised that no one, and in particular those who have emphasized the importance of honor and loyalty, has chosen Ned. Not being a player might have been his doom in the story, but would be a virtue in this context..

But now that I think about it... he has a family, and he is even more fiercely loyal to it than to his duty, so... forget it hahah

1 hour ago, Ebrose said:

I must admit that I am somewhat surprised that no one, and in particular those who have emphasized the importance of honor and loyalty, has chosen Ned. Not being a player might have been his doom in the story, but would be a virtue in this context..

But now that I think about it... he has a family, and he is even more fiercely loyal to it than to his duty, so... forget it hahah

I very much wanted to pick Ned Stark but I assumed that being the Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North means he can't be? or atleast it would be very unfair. If anything Robb would be a good addition with some extra training and growth.

If we can call upon anyone in the seven kingdoms at that time regardless of position or power mine would look very different :P

There's a troubling lack of imagination here.

Lord Commander: the King of Winter (alternate, Barristan Selmy): primarily by virtue of several thousand years seniority, but also because there's no central AC in Maegor's.

Sweetrobin (alternate, Brienne): in case the Lord Commander hungers for human flesh like the Others who lingered around Craster's.

Drogon (alternate, Bronn): complete with size-proportionate cloak.

UnGregor (alternate, The Hound): nothing to add.

the Red Woman's Shadowbaby (alternate, Ser Balon Swann): in case someone needs to be assassinated quickly - and cheaply!

the ghost of Ser Courtnay Penrose (alternate, the Greatjon): just for the awkward moment.

the Kingslayer (alternate, the Kingslayer): clearly, someone has to keep me in line.

LC Brynden (Barristan is a good choice too, though he was a bit too dedicated, and I think the Blackfish would know when to not blindly go along with whatever your liege says)

Barristan (cuz he still deserves a spot)

Brienne (necessary)

Arys Oakheart (reasons mentioned)

Loras Tyrell (a bit too hotblooded but a good fighter)

Jon Snow (he's not optional in the books, I know, but he's a very good strategist as well as fighter and inherently decent person. It's very tempting to say LC but I'd still go with Blackfish, at least for the excuse that he has more experience)

Sandor Clegane (excellent fighter and I'd promise not to call him Ser)

Sandor Clegane- promise that he could get some payback on Gregor(it not kinslaying if they are on opposite sides of a battle).

Arys Oakheart-He is honorable and seem like an ok dude,

Balon Swann-He earned the spot. He also had the guts to make a joke about needing four more glasses,

Brienne-as long as she focus on being an knight.

Loras Tyrell-He has the battleskill to be in the kingsguard

Wun Weg-if available, an KG need a giant.

LC Selmy- he is the ideal LC.

• 4 weeks later...

in all honesty i would rather have a honorable kingsguard than a deadly one

Eddard Stark

barristan selmy 

jamie lannister

brienne of tarth

davos seaworth

Oberyn martell 

Brynden Tully

if we were allowed to use characters from a long time ago i would definitely put ser Duncan the tall there somewhere.

Lord Commander Robert Baratheon (I'm king now. He is my peasant.)

Barristan Selmy

Brynden Blackfish

Willas Tyrell (I have a deathwish)

Oberyn Martell 

Bran Stark, post broken legs

Tormund Giantsbane

The Kingsguard is in a constant state of being both extremely powerful and the weakest it has ever been.

Lets say I am Robert Baratheon. As King of a fledgling dynasty I will avoid trying to piss the big houses too much and use the prestigious KG roles to my advantage to bring peace and stability to the kingdom without jeopardising the royal family's security too much

Barristan Selmy - an experienced fighter whose got the respect and loyalty of everybody.

Jon Snow - this appointment has many advantages. It will further consolidate the friendship between Starks and Baratheons. After all Eddard doesn't know exactly what to do with his bastard son and the KG is a great role for a bastard. It will also take Jon away from Winterfell which should score points with Cat Tully. It would provide future king Joffrey with someone who understand the North and will prove to be a great companion to future queen Sansa who will  certainly miss the North at one point in her life

The Hound - as a second son, the Hound has no say over the Clegane's lands and titles and depends solely on his brother's and Lord Paramount's whims. Being KG will free him from the latter two and would guarantee him with a steady income and comfortable life. He's also a great fighter.

Edric Storm - he's still a boy but he's got alot of his father's features. After the screw up King Robert had done, appointing Edric in a decent role is the least he can do. It would contribute in building bridges with the Florents, Stannis (who will finally acknowledge that Robert can take of his own responsibilites) and Edric will live in court alongside his dad and his half brothers/sisters. Cersei would be pissed off though

Obara Sand - bridges need to be built with the Martells so appointing one of Oberyn Martell's bastards as KG is a start especially since you'll be appointing Edric Storm too (I am treating your bastard daughter at the same level of my bastard son sort of thing). Also with so many Lannister men surrounding the king (wife, cup bearer, KG etc), its wise to make sure that you've got some anti Lannister people around just in case. Also Obara can go in places (ex Cersei's chambers) without causing scandal.

Jamie Lannister - I know that I've said that I would like to avoid to piss the big houses off by taking their sons but strictly speaking JL is already KG. Also considering that Tywin will never let Tyrion inherit CR then it would be nice if the Westerlands ends up in Tommen's B hands. Just make sure I treat Cersei well though and keep Jamie a bit far from her

Brienne of Tarth - Strong, loyal, a great fighter and similar to Obara she can go were men can't or shouldn't  go. Either Obara or Brienne would be perfect to protect Cersei or Mycella

Lord Commander Barristan Selmy- The most obvious choice in the world, but even at his age he is still a very skilled fighter, not to mention his fame and prestige will both make the Kingsguard reputation a good one. He is a decent commander and loyal to a fault.

Ser Brynden Blackfish- Said to be a skilled fighter and a brilliant strategist, he is loyal, dutiful and honorable. Despite his age he'd be a good man to have at your side, though I'm more likely to use him as a commander in the field, and leave protection up to the other 6 members.

Ser Balon Swann- Almost universally regarded as a great choice for the Kingsguard, is said to be skilled with a mace, lance, sword and superb with a bow. He's loyal and he's brave without being reckless and more formidable according to Areo.

Ser Arys Oakheart- Decent fighter and actually has a conscious, not to mention a decent amount of courage. He and Balon would balance each other well, I think. Also loyal so long as you keep him away from Dornish Princess'

Ser Daemon Sand- Said to be one of the best warriors in Dorne, and their best with a sword.

Ser Jorah Mormont- He's not young but he does defeat a Dothraki bloodrider in single combat, and if you can earn his loyalty then you've got one hell of a follower at your side.

Ser Rolland Storm- He's one of Stannis' best fighters and as a bastard this is one of the best positions he could hope for. Making him a kingsguard would be a good way to earn his loyalty.

Since I have a Kingsguard that would make me King. So I'd need a Queen and an heir. I'd have Brienne be my wife's bodyguard and have Sandor, Garlan (he has a wife, so he couldn't be in the KG) and Lyle Crakehall on standby for any children that would also need protecting.

Archived