And then there were two...

Pile-O-Starks

1 hour ago, Barr1stanTheBold said:

Like the direwolves are magically, majestic creatures who are linked with their owners and they let Summer just jump into a pile of Others!??!?!? AAAAHHHhhhhhhh

Well, basically Summer, Hodor and CotF sacrificed themselves so Bran could get away. I thought it was pretty noble (for Summer and CotF, anyway. Hodor had no choice). The only question is who is going to save Bran and (hopefully) Meera's butts next week. It's gotta be Benjen, in my opinion. Maybe in the books it would be Coldhands, but on the show, it's gotta be Benjen.

Just now, Pile-O-Starks said:

Well, basically Summer, Hodor and CotF sacrificed themselves so Bran could get away. I thought it was pretty noble (for Summer and CotF, anyway. Hodor had no choice). The only question is who is going to save Bran and (hopefully) Meera's butts next week. It's gotta be Benjen, in my opinion. Maybe in the books it would be Coldhands, but on the show, it's gotta be Benjen.

Benjen in the show, Coldhands in the book. Coldhands = Benjen?  :)

Just now, DireGhost said:

Benjen in the show, Coldhands in the book. Coldhands = Benjen?  :)

Yeah, it's possible. I always thought there was more to when Coldhands says, "I am your monster, Brandon Stark." Like, you could read it as "I'm here to protect you." But it could also be, "You created me." Given Bran's ability to ensure that past events actually occur, this is possible.

But on the show: Benjen.

4 minutes ago, Pile-O-Starks said:

Yeah, it's possible. I always thought there was more to when Coldhands says, "I am your monster, Brandon Stark." Like, you could read it as "I'm here to protect you." But it could also be, "You created me." Given Bran's ability to ensure that past events actually occur, this is possible.

But on the show: Benjen.

Is Benjen able to fight off the WW enchantment because he is a Stark?  Does this confirm that TNK is in fact a Stark? 

It is flat out odd that if the direwolves represent the Starkyness of the Stark kids, that Jon (whose parents are yet to be determined but at least one is not a Stark) still has Ghost.  At least as far as we know, he still has Ghost.  Everyone say "I believe" right now, all together. 

5 minutes ago, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

Is Benjen able to fight off the WW enchantment because he is a Stark?  Does this confirm that TNK is in fact a Stark? 

Not saying that he can fight off the enchantment. Just thinking he might have a horse or something (an elk?!) that can outrun the wights.

4 hours ago, Pile-O-Starks said:

I got this feeling, as well. She's manipulating people, and probably putting them in danger as a result. The issue is that she herself is still being manipulated by LF. My guess is that the Blackfish is still AWOL and Riverrun is still under siege. LF knows that she'll send Brienne as her emissary, thus leaving herself unprotected (to a degree).

Although, to be fair, being a pawn hasn't really worked out for Sansa, so maybe this is just her fully coming out of her shell and being  leader? I don't know.

This is what I think too

15 minutes ago, Pile-O-Starks said:

Benjen yes please :wub:

I'm of the opinion the direwolves are falling victim to budgeting that is all. The same reason we only get a few shots of Ghost each season. I'm not worried too much for the book direwolves.

I wailed when Summer died. I just couldnt take it, especially him just jumping in the fray like that. It broke my heart. and then not even five minutes later, more heartbreak was piled upon me. i'm still shocked and off today. I just cant collect my thoughts on this at all! I'm so upset I had to watch those things on screen, obviously I would've preferred reading it from the source. The whole sadness of Hodor and Summer's death was lost in the rush and the shitty CGI white walkers. Gah. I'm upset.

On another note, I did wonder where the hell Meera thought she was going with all those white walkers about to bust through Hodor. I didn't even consider Coldhands! I gave up hope of him ever being on screen, but yeah. I could see him riding in on his big elk to save the day. 

44 minutes ago, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

Summer was painful for me.  He was probably the direwolf other than Ghost that we all had the biggest connection to. I'm still holding out hope that he doesn't bite it in the REAL story. 

Yes, it would be nice to see Summer live on a bit longer in the books.  I thought the show's treatment of Shaggydog was rather unceremonious, perhaps a result of the (likely) compression of Rickon's storyline.  Ultimately the circumstances of Summer's death are too meaningful to ignore.  Winter has come, and with it we lost two of Bran's beloved longtime companions.  Goodness knows how he must be feeling.

What a story! It is rare that I feel physically down after fictional characters die.  Lucky for me the books are always on the shelf!

As an aside, I'd be interested to get your thoughts on companion-animals in general.  I've been thinking that all the companion animals will bite it before the end, thus ushering in the "post-magical" era so often seen at the end of fantasy series.  Then again, GRRM subverts the common fantasy tropes on a regular basis, so who knows!  No evidence to support this either way, but it is fun to think about.

51 minutes ago, lakin1013 said:

It is flat out odd that if the direwolves represent the Starkyness of the Stark kids, that Jon (whose parents are yet to be determined but at least one is not a Stark) still has Ghost.  At least as far as we know, he still has Ghost.  Everyone say "I believe" right now, all together. 

Why would it matter that at least one of Jon's parents is not a Stark? All of the Stark kids have one Stark parent and one non-Stark parent?

Or are u saying cause he doesn't literally have the Stark name vs the other kids who have the Stark name? I don't know if I'd buy that but it's a valid opinion.

46 minutes ago, The Dames do Moan said:

Why would it matter that at least one of Jon's parents is not a Stark? All of the Stark kids have one Stark parent and one non-Stark parent?

Or are u saying cause he doesn't literally have the Stark name vs the other kids who have the Stark name? I don't know if I'd buy that but it's a valid opinion.

I am LOL.  Of course, each kid had a non-Stark parent :-)  I meant to say legitimate, that Jon does not have a legitimate Stark last name.  

Man, I really hate that they're killing off all the direwolves. I'm honestly thinking it has to do with budget. This entire scene was absolutely beautifully done and broke my heart, but the only downside to it is Summer's death. I just can't deal with how pointless it was.

Archived